Contraband Cargo reward structure does not make sense

Prev13
Has CG ever explained the reward structure logic for Contraband Cargo's top two tiers? Why are ship shards excluded from the top tier, specifically?
As discussed in other threads it makes the penultimate tier more attractive to many players than the top tier, which is crazy. It's particularly nonsensical as they had something similar with Challenges a while back but corrected it to ensure that higher tiers always improved on the lower tiers' rewards. Also none of the other regular resource events have such an asymmetrical reward ladder.

Replies

• Options
    And why no Hounds Tooth shards in the rewards if it’s gonna award cargo ship shards for all the other ships used in event.
  • Options
    If they added HT shards into the penultimate tier, would anyone even bother with the top tier?
  • Options
    It would make me switch from the top tier till the farm is done haha.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They seem to be setup to allow players to build up to the final tier.

Once you have all the ships. No need to do anything but the top tier, so they bump up the rewards on the top tier.

Makes sense to me. They wouldn't want the lower tier to be too low a reward structure, but if you have the ships the top tier is nicer.

Also if they had shards in the top tier they would go to the shard shop which currently has nothing directly for ships, they made this event just for ships.
  • Options
    You need 7 star ships for the final tier. So why would you want ship shards? At one time you needed all 4 ftp ships (EP8 Falcon, phonix ships, and Slave 1) at 7 star to even have a chance at the final tier. In the final tier you get ship omegas, which have far more value then ship shards.

They could update the rewards low tier rewards include newer ship shards I guess.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »
    You need 7 star ships for the final tier. So why would you want ship shards? At one time you needed all 4 ftp ships (EP8 Falcon, phonix ships, and Slave 1) at 7 star to even have a chance at the final tier. In the final tier you get ship omegas, which have far more value then ship shards.

They could update the rewards low tier rewards include newer ship shards I guess.

You can do the top tier with ghost/phantom/slave/lando falcon

For me it was a choice between extra ship omegas or the chance for some EP8 falcon shards (still at 4* for me)
  • Options
    It would be nice to get Lando Falcon shards in the top tier but I guess that is asking too much.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    When the reward structure is controversial, it means they messed up...

Have you met the forum? Everything is controversial.
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    It would be nice to get Lando Falcon shards in the top tier but I guess that is asking too much.

It would be nice to get Falcon shards in any tier. Only ones that drop for me are Ghost, Phantom, and occasionally Slave 1. Which I've had at 7* for months.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    As if the Sith Raid didn't have many other signs pointing to a mess already!

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

While I don't disagree with the forum sentiment, historically there hasn't been an issue with determining which rewards are greater. The highest tier is always better. Everyone does the highest daily challenges because of this.

The higher tier in this event is also better. You get more of the materials that are hard to get elsewhere.

Players wanting to put the last tier on farm when they dont have all the ships that are rewarded at a lower stage doesnt mean that the higher stage is lacking. The rewards are higher.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

While I don't disagree with the forum sentiment, historically there hasn't been an issue with determining which rewards are greater. The highest tier is always better. Everyone does the highest daily challenges because of this.

The higher tier in this event is also better. You get more of the materials that are hard to get elsewhere.

Players wanting to put the last tier on farm when they dont have all the ships that are rewarded at a lower stage doesnt mean that the higher stage is lacking. The rewards are higher.

Depends on how you value shard shop currency.

The last tier should have included ship shards with the boost in other rewards. Removing them was a fail and diffrent to how other events operate. Why change it up?

Because this event is designed to boost your ships.

Events designed to improve your characters dont include ship materials. Even if those characters are pilots.

This event is different than many others it's new and is only here to focus on ships.

It's not a fail to remove them, it's designed that way because it gives you more of the precious materials.
  • Options

The last tier should have included ship shards with the boost in other rewards. Removing them was a fail and diffrent to how other events operate. Why change it up?

They didn't - The ewok event running right now has ewok shards at all levels except the last, which is simply 2 omegas. I'm pretty sure the Talzin/Wicket events don't award shards on the bonus tiers either.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    An interesting thing I've seen with shards is that I've only been getting Episode 7 Falcon shards - which is the only cargo ship (aside from Hounds Tooth) I don't have at 7*
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I assume the idea is "do the lower tiers until you max out these ships, then do the top one for more ship credits and ability mats since you don't need the shards anymore."

I still need ReyFalcon shards so I haven't even attempted the last tier, though to be honest I might always do 2nd-to-last because I like shard shop currency.

Which is good, because after never getting LandoFalcon shards from it once, I finished the ship last week and this time I got its shards on both attempts.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options

I disagree. It is not clear that the rewards are better on the highest tier. You have to choose a chance at ship shards/shard currency, or more reinforce/ship omegas. For some the chance at lando shards may be a better reward. In other events where the top tier doesn't award shards the attempts are not shared so you don't actually jave to decide between mats or shards.
  • Options

They didn't - The ewok event running right now has ewok shards at all levels except the last, which is simply 2 omegas. I'm pretty sure the Talzin/Wicket events don't award shards on the bonus tiers either.

But the comparison isn’t apt. You can run all four levels of assault battles (and both levels of the Talzin/Wicket events) everyday those events run. In Contraband Cargo, you can only run the event twice each day it runs, so you have to CHOOSE between running it at the highest level or the second highest. I suppose you could split the difference and run it once on each level.

Even without shards, I think the ability mats make the highest level rewards better than the second highest, though I agree with the sentiment that the shards should be included in the highest tier rewards as well. Once I 7-Star Slave I, I should be able to run the highest tier with just 3 ships, and I will, but I do wish it didn’t mean slowing the farms of both Falcons.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Options
    Once I 7-Star Slave I, I should be able to run the highest tier with just 3 ships, and I will, but I do wish it didn’t mean slowing the farms of both Falcons.

Fair point about shared attempts. Depending on your three ships, I don't think it will work. I have ghost/phantom/slave-1 and it's not even close.
  • Options
    Once I 7-Star Slave I, I should be able to run the highest tier with just 3 ships, and I will, but I do wish it didn’t mean slowing the farms of both Falcons.

Fair point about shared attempts. Depending on your three ships, I don't think it will work. I have ghost/phantom/slave-1 and it's not even close.

I’m hopeful, but it might fail. I use Ghost and Phantom in arena, so they and their crew are near maxed (G11-12, all but one zeta on Phoenix). My Boba is G12 too, and I have Slave I’s abilities nearly maxed. Should I still be pessimistic? I should have Slave I at 7 stars this week.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Options

I’m hopeful, but it might fail. I use Ghost and Phantom in arena, so they and their crew are near maxed (G11-12, all but one zeta on Phoenix). My Boba is G12 too, and I have Slave I’s abilities nearly maxed. Should I still be pessimistic? I should have Slave I at 7 stars this week.

I have a g12 boba. Phantom2 is g12ezra, g10 or 11 the other 2. My ghost is only g8ish. And i have almost a full g12 crew on rey falcon. I'm close, but can't quite beat it before the ultimate.
  • Options
    My ghost and phantom are not as good as yours, but my boba is g12 and slave one is nearly maxed. I didn't even 1* it. I should have Houndstooth 7* for the next one, which will allow me to use Boba as a reinforcement. Should solve that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    DuneFlint wrote: »

I disagree. It is not clear that the rewards are better on the highest tier. You have to choose a chance at ship shards/shard currency, or more reinforce/ship omegas. For some the chance at lando shards may be a better reward. In other events where the top tier doesn't award shards the attempts are not shared so you don't actually jave to decide between mats or shards.

Choosing different rewards, doesnt make them better. I would rather have ship materials, that doesnt devalue the ship shards.

The real situation is, once you are "end game" for this event, meaning you have all the ships, are you going to do anything other than the last tier. No.

The tiers are designed to build up the players, until you reach a point, then you move on to the higher tier. Wanting to do the higher tier before you have fully developed doesnt mean the top tier is worse. It's meant for different levels of players
  • Options
    DuneFlint wrote: »

Choosing different rewards, doesnt make them better. I would rather have ship materials, that doesnt devalue the ship shards.

I'm confused, my reply was to you specifically saying the rewards on this highest tier are better. But, now you're countering my statement that it's not clear they're better by sayng they're just different. OP's issue seems to be with the 2nd tier having more attractive rewards for them and many others - which i agree with.
  • Options
    T4 possible rewards:
    4-6 ship omega mats
    20 cap ship omega mats
    20 ship reinforcement mats
    100k ship currency

T3 possible rewards:
    5 ship shards
    3 ship omega mats
    15 cap ship omega mats
    15 ship reinforcement mats
    50k ship currency

ship omega mats come from fleet table, fleet ability challenge.
    cap ship omega mats come from squad arena store, cap ship mastery events, fleet ability challenge.
    ship reinforcement mats come from fleet table.

ship shards convert at 19/shard, so 95 shard store currency.

If you have all the ships at 7*, 95 (190) shard store currency seems a poor substitute for 10 reinforcement mats, 10 cap ship omega mats, 100k currency, and 2-6 ship omega mats.

If you don't, then you have to decide if it's worth gambling.
This discussion has been closed.