GP Matchmaking & “Fluff”

Replies

• Nauros wrote: »
    Calx wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Place 2 Olympic level runners in a race, the can both have the best mile times and may even be close.

One runs marathons and the other shorter races.

They are equals athletically and in many respects, but one will have a clear advantage in a marathon.

It's about how you build your roster and how you develop in the game. If you developed more competitively or not. That's the players choice.

This analogy is complete gibberish, and only makes sense if:
    • Olympic sprints were introduced long after Olympic marathons
    • Marathon runners were obligated to also run in sprints, after training for marathons for years
    • Sprints were run as head-to-head competitions, and the pairings greatly disadvantaged those who trained for marathons

Just like in TW and with paper Zombie, we're being punished for leveling and gearing up our characters. There's no amount of spin that will change that obviously fact. Your painfully broken analogy is just further proof of that.

This analogy is gibberish because the equivalent of raw GP would be the total distance of all races the person has ever ran and not mile time.

Lol I think you all know the point kyno was trying to make though.
    Note to self: never make a running analogy on here lol.

So swimming....

• This game will continuously change and it is up to the players to make choices. Every action and choice you make in this game will move you close to one area of the game or team comp and push you further away from another one.

Right, but if you choose not to focus on regular arena for a while, your ranking slips, and so you’re matched with weaker players, and compete for lower rewards over time. If you focus on arena for a while, your ranking improves and you’re matched with better players and compete for better rewards over time. This is such an obvious statement that it can be easy to overlook.

The problem in GA is that the work you do to improve you roster for GA specifically in no way guarantees that you’ll get stronger competition or play for better rewards. Likewise, ignoring your GA roster won’t get you weaker competition and lower rewards. Who you play will be essentially pure RNG because it’s tied to the wholly arbitrary measure of GP.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    Calx wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Place 2 Olympic level runners in a race, the can both have the best mile times and may even be close.

One runs marathons and the other shorter races.

They are equals athletically and in many respects, but one will have a clear advantage in a marathon.

It's about how you build your roster and how you develop in the game. If you developed more competitively or not. That's the players choice.

This analogy is complete gibberish, and only makes sense if:
    • Olympic sprints were introduced long after Olympic marathons
    • Marathon runners were obligated to also run in sprints, after training for marathons for years
    • Sprints were run as head-to-head competitions, and the pairings greatly disadvantaged those who trained for marathons

Just like in TW and with paper Zombie, we're being punished for leveling and gearing up our characters. There's no amount of spin that will change that obviously fact. Your painfully broken analogy is just further proof of that.

This analogy is gibberish because the equivalent of raw GP would be the total distance of all races the person has ever ran and not mile time.

Lol I think you all know the point kyno was trying to make though.
    Note to self: never make a running analogy on here lol.

So swimming....

And my point is that raw GP has pretty low information value. Just like the total distance of all races, it does say something but reality is much more complicated.
  • Honestly, one thing that isn't being talked about is priority of the algorithm. It seems all agree it needs more than GP.

I'd say the most important criteria (in order) are:

# G12
    # G11
    GP
    # Zetas

The G12/G11 break roster comparisons at any amount of GP. That's the single biggest comparable factor between two players in any PvP game mode. The only argument could be made that you only need 5 for Squad, but based on any mass PvP (TW/GA), then the # of these 11/12s are all that matters. Past that, your zetas vs. GP is a bit questionable to me, but with the factor of gear, I think you don't want the GP factor coming in too late. Zetas are strong, but they can't make up a massive different in rosters.

Things that I don't think should ever be considered are # Raids and specific characters. It is 100% your fault for choosing a CUP over a CLS. Period. Quality of the measurable stats is a very easy and accessible statistic for power. META is not. METAs can change and your choice on who you choose.

• This isn't completely accurate. Back when Territory Bore was announced, many of us took all of our trash toons (of which there are many) and leveled them to 85, geared them to 8, and slapped on mods in order to help increase GP for the game mode and help out our guilds.

Did this act impede our ability to construct a "competitive" roster? I'd argue no, not really. Credits at the top end of the game are plentiful, so the amount spent leveling trash to 85 was not preventing us from from leveling a useful toon to 85. Likewise, gear needed to get toons to level 8 is readily available as side junk from bronziums and more developed gear farms. And of course, we put our cruddy extra mods on these toons. Would we have 1-2 more g12 toons if we had not done these actions? Probably. Would we have 20? No way.

Yet, what this selfless team oriented action did was artificially inflate our GP and penalize us in both TW and now GA due to poor matchmaking that looks more or less solely at GP.

Also, keep in mind that TB came before either of these two new modes, so the actions we took that inflated GP occurred BEFORE we could have know about negative ramifications for doing so. In other words, while you maintain a choice for roster development was involved, I'm stating there was no choice whatsoever.

What really needs to happen is matchmaking needs to be made based on numbers of toons at various gear levels as opposed to GP.

I'm Sorry, But this argument is CRAP. Since wayyy before there was TB, TW, yadda yadda, We were told to improve your roster, you have to be selective about what you spend your resources on. So, there are some of us who only gear up toons or factions when we have the resources to do so.

If you think about it, you actually gain MORE points for TW if you actually finish all rounds (especially during the 6th phase) than you would if you "artificially inflate" your GP by leveling up toons to 85 and gear VIII. So if you worked on factions to do well in TB, then you had a great base to start with once TW started. And now the same for GA.

So yes, the best thing to do is farm toons to 7* but dont Gear or lvl them up until you are ready to take them up to gear XII. Otherwise, you get these whiny posts.
  • And By the way. I'm pretty sure the matchmaking will only get better with time. So stop whining over every little thing for God's sake. This is a free game.......
  • And By the way. I'm pretty sure the matchmaking will only get better with time. So stop whining over every little thing for God's sake. This is a free game.......

The "whining" might actually improve the chances of things getting better with time.
  • While I can unmod obsolete characters, I can't unlevel or ungear them. There needs to be some sort of amnesty for old, bad characters if CG has no intention to rework them. Or some way to devalue them in the GP calculation.

We took a lot of crap characters to G8/9 when they were the *only* characters in the game, or when they were needed for legacy events like Mod Challenges, pre-Jedi Ground Assault, Rancor/HAAT Raid, etc. Most of us were smart and stopped gearing these guys once better options came along.

Perhaps re-weight the GP so that G10-12 are significantly more valuable than G7-9. My G8 unmodded Phasma shouldn't be valued at 60% of my G12 BB-8 with 6-dot mods and 2 zetas; that's nonsense. Making G12 gear, zetas, and Gold/6-dot mods worth more points would help a lot in improving the competitiveness of matchmaking.

I don't think someone who took Clone Wars Chewbacca to G12 with a zeta deserves much sympathy; they know what they did and if that equals Nest or Bastila in the calculation, so be it. Just don't perpetuate the idea that two unmodded G8 characters are equivalent to one maxed out character...

• This isn't completely accurate. Back when Territory Bore was announced, many of us took all of our trash toons (of which there are many) and leveled them to 85, geared them to 8, and slapped on mods in order to help increase GP for the game mode and help out our guilds.

Did this act impede our ability to construct a "competitive" roster? I'd argue no, not really. Credits at the top end of the game are plentiful, so the amount spent leveling trash to 85 was not preventing us from from leveling a useful toon to 85. Likewise, gear needed to get toons to level 8 is readily available as side junk from bronziums and more developed gear farms. And of course, we put our cruddy extra mods on these toons. Would we have 1-2 more g12 toons if we had not done these actions? Probably. Would we have 20? No way.

Yet, what this selfless team oriented action did was artificially inflate our GP and penalize us in both TW and now GA due to poor matchmaking that looks more or less solely at GP.

Also, keep in mind that TB came before either of these two new modes, so the actions we took that inflated GP occurred BEFORE we could have know about negative ramifications for doing so. In other words, while you maintain a choice for roster development was involved, I'm stating there was no choice whatsoever.

What really needs to happen is matchmaking needs to be made based on numbers of toons at various gear levels as opposed to GP.

I'm Sorry, But this argument is CRAP. Since wayyy before there was TB, TW, yadda yadda, We were told to improve your roster, you have to be selective about what you spend your resources on. So, there are some of us who only gear up toons or factions when we have the resources to do so.

If you think about it, you actually gain MORE points for TW if you actually finish all rounds (especially during the 6th phase) than you would if you "artificially inflate" your GP by leveling up toons to 85 and gear VIII. So if you worked on factions to do well in TB, then you had a great base to start with once TW started. And now the same for GA.

So yes, the best thing to do is farm toons to 7* but dont Gear or lvl them up until you are ready to take them up to gear XII. Otherwise, you get these whiny posts.

This guy gets it......
    And By the way. I'm pretty sure the matchmaking will only get better with time. So stop whining over every little thing for God's sake. This is a free game.......

The "whining" might actually improve the chances of things getting better with time.

Getting better for who?..... People who wasted resources?.....
  • Look y'all ... just stop gearing the "fluff." It's a tactic whose time is long gone.
    It was only ever a good idea when TB was first introduced. Useless fluff hurts the guild for TW, and now it hurts the player for GA.
    Solution: stop doing that. You should have stopped a long time ago.
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    And By the way. I'm pretty sure the matchmaking will only get better with time. So stop whining over every little thing for God's sake. This is a free game.......

For those who want fun matchups.
    BubbaFett wrote: »

For those who want fun matchups.

As long as you are willing to settle for.lower tier rewards, then I have no issue with that.....

So in other words, don't actually play the game until you can absolutely max out a single toon?

Here's the thing about your comment on "managing resources", the resources needed to level, star, mod, and minimally gear up toons do not need to be "managed" because they're in abundance for long-term players.

Which brings us to the challenge of Grand Arena matchmaking based on GP, long-term players brought a lot of toons to G8, G9, or even G11 for a variety of reasons. Mod Challenges, events, generally fluffing, but the main reason for G11 is that it was the max gear level for toons. Then, with the release of G12 and new toons, you have a roster filled with toons that aren't relevant to PvP, but are decently geared simply because you've played for a long-time. Your GP is high, but your Grand Arena viability is low relative to a comparable GP, new whale. Basically this game design alienates long-term players relative to brand new whales.

And this isn't a free game. People have invested time, money, or both into this game with the expectation that you wouldn't be penalized for allocating resources.

I'm not saying I'm entitled to win because I've played for a long time. I simply want to walk into a game mode where the outcome isn't guaranteed one way or the other. I don't have fun annihilating my opponent and I don't have fun being annihilated. So I have provided constructive feedback on ways to improve matchmaking.

• Rebel_yell wrote: »

This isn't completely accurate. Back when Territory Bore was announced, many of us took all of our trash toons (of which there are many) and leveled them to 85, geared them to 8, and slapped on mods in order to help increase GP for the game mode and help out our guilds.

So in other words, don't actually play the game until you can absolutely max out a single toon?

Here's the thing about your comment on "managing resources", the resources needed to level, star, mod, and minimally gear up toons do not need to be "managed" because they're in abundance for long-term players.

Which brings us to the challenge of Grand Arena matchmaking based on GP, long-term players brought a lot of toons to G8, G9, or even G11 for a variety of reasons. Mod Challenges, events, generally fluffing, but the main reason for G11 is that it was the max gear level for toons. Then, with the release of G12 and new toons, you have a roster filled with toons that aren't relevant to PvP, but are decently geared simply because you've played for a long-time. Your GP is high, but your Grand Arena viability is low relative to a comparable GP, new whale. Basically this game design alienates long-term players relative to brand new whales.

And this isn't a free game. People have invested time, money, or both into this game with the expectation that you wouldn't be penalized for allocating resources.

I'm not saying I'm entitled to win because I've played for a long time. I simply want to walk into a game mode where the outcome isn't guaranteed one way or the other. I don't have fun annihilating my opponent and I don't have fun being annihilated. So I have provided constructive feedback on ways to improve matchmaking.

This guy gets it

This isn't completely accurate. Back when Territory Bore was announced, many of us took all of our trash toons (of which there are many) and leveled them to 85, geared them to 8, and slapped on mods in order to help increase GP for the game mode and help out our guilds.

Absolutely false..... Have you farmed the useless vets for rjt yet?..... I guarantee you will be woefully short of 20 a piece purple gear to get g8.... Especially if you are building up your fluff garbage toons.....

Folks wanking about "helping their guild" with their crappy inflated lineups should take a step back.....

How well do you do in tb combat missions?

How much do you contribute to raids?

Is your inflated gp hurting your guild in TW?

• AndySCovell
    770 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It’s called decisions. We all have to make them. If you make bad decisions you get bad results. If you make good decisions then you are good to go. But if you want exact mirror matches it’s just not gonna happen.

People want the game to change to help fix mistakes they made in gearing trash toons.

Not my fault you thought somehow Jawas and Jedi Knight Guardian would be Meta. Lol
  • BubbaFett wrote: »
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

Absolutely false..... Have you farmed the useless vets for rjt yet?..... I guarantee you will be woefully short of 20 a piece purple gear to get g8.... Especially if you are building up your fluff garbage toons.....

Folks wanking about "helping their guild" with their crappy inflated lineups should take a step back.....

Dude. I’ve already provided you my roster for review. Start participating like an adult or go away.

Here it is. Again. Don’t lose it. https://swgoh.gg/p/959311831/
  • It’s called decisions. We all have to make them. If you make bad decisions you get bad results. If you make good decisions then you are good to go. But if you want exact mirror matches it’s just not gonna happen.

People want the game to change to help fix mistakes they made in gearing trash toons.

Not my fault you thought somehow Jawas and Jedi Knight Guardian would be Meta. Lol

Uhhh. What? Teebo wase a staple of the original team to beat PIT and Jawas were needed to 3* crit dmg mods. You were literally forced to farm and gear them if you’re long term player. Plus, CG announced Jawas would get a bonus in HAAT so players were duped into gearing them.

No one is asking for the game to change. I’m asking them to remove mods and star level from the matchmaking calculus so as to better measure an even matchup
  • LukeDukem8
    607 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Vicarious wrote: »
    I'm speaking from the vantage point of a person that was greatly favored from the matchmaking. Both me and my opponent are 2.7 million. However, I have 22 G12 chars and have been building squads for HSTR. My opponent only had 1 G12 char and no viable squads. It was/is a bloodbath. It wasn't remotely intetesting for me, and I'm sure didn't feel fair at all to my opponent. We never should have been pitted against each other, regardless of similar GP. Some algorithm that takes into account strength of rosters/squads in a player's inventory would deliver more equal matches.

Exactly!!

Maybe not in the first round, but the 2nd and 3rd would be more evenly matched .
  • We don't really know how the matchmaking algorithm works aside from that it factors in GP (and wins/losses in your 8-person bracket). The matchmaking will get refined over time but there will never be an answer that makes everyone happy.

Yes there is fluff in older players' GP, I myself fall into that category. Most players above a certain GP are going to have some fluff, so it's largely going to offset. Your choices do come strongly into play though, and that's OK because you will never excel at *every* game mode. swgoh is specifically designed to reward you for dedicating your resources to a small number of game modes.

For example, I put a zeta on Jyn so I can finish the p6 combat node in LS TB. Does that help me in TW? Not at all, but I decided to be more pve focused.
    It’s called decisions. We all have to make them. If you make bad decisions you get bad results. If you make good decisions then you are good to go. But if you want exact mirror matches it’s just not gonna happen.

Uhhh. What? Teebo wase a staple of the original team to beat PIT and Jawas were needed to 3* crit dmg mods. You were literally forced to farm and gear them if you’re long term player. Plus, CG announced Jawas would get a bonus in HAAT so players were duped into gearing them.

No one is asking for the game to change. I’m asking them to remove mods and star level from the matchmaking calculus so as to better measure an even matchup

If you pushed the Jawas past Gear 8/9 that was all you. We aren’t talking about 7*. You should try and 7* everyone and all ships in the game. That being said, don’t gear them high.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

If you pushed the Jawas past Gear 8/9 that was all you. We aren’t talking about 7*. You should try and 7* everyone and all ships in the game. That being said, don’t gear them high.

How so? Now I'm not arguing for weighting toon quality differences and agree it's on me to have geared them. But they looked like the best option to gear between the time AAT was announced and released. It's not like people geared them just because.

5wv6q21pl04d.png
  • "This is a game about strategic resource management and you should be rewarded for strategically investing in a character."

You could make the argument that this supports not partially gearing up characters you won't use which inflates your gp... I understand the frustrations but even as someone who has an inflated roster, I've still invested enough in specific squads that I'm able to punch with people who have more g12s etc than me

This makes zero sense. I literally just explained the circumstances for why people would gear them.

This makes zero sense. I literally just explained the circumstances for why people would gear them.

4 7 star lvl 1 toons equal 1 gear 12 zetad toon , so just staring toons puts you at a disadvantage to those who dont. So your comment is wrong on that too for the GA.
  • Rebel_yell
    928 posts Member
    edited December 2018

4 7 star lvl 1 toons equal 1 gear 12 zetad toon , so just staring toons puts you at a disadvantage to those who dont. So your comment is wrong on that too for the GA.

Elaborate please. My point was that measuring GP based on stars puts people at a disadvantage for GA, so it appears we're saying the same thing.

edit - I think you may have been responding to the person before me. disregard if so.
    BubbaFett wrote: »

Dude. I’ve already provided you my roster for review. Start participating like an adult or go away.

Here it is. Again. Don’t lose it. https://swgoh.gg/p/959311831/

I'm not going to keep your roster on speed dial, but thanks... I was simply pointing out that not all of the gear to get to G8 is worthless or "in abundance" as you said..... Do try and keep up....