GP Matchmaking & “Fluff”

Replies

• Howardc85 wrote: »
    I hate this new event already. How is this a thing, we're not even in the same league. Plus, I don't have Revan, and can very rarely beat him, so I lose... super fun event though...qoalp3do67pk.jpg

This is not your opponent.
    Check his profile by going to event rewards in game.Many players on gg have similar names so it can be misleading
  • Risz
    134 posts Member
    Learn to do choices.

It's a competitive game and if you spend all your ressources upgrading all toons at once then ofc you will have a disadvantage against someone focused, but if you do spend on all toons then it means you're not really interested in competitive PvP, so why even bother ? You made a choice, not me, not your opponent, not CG, your choice.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Howardc85 wrote: »
    I hate this new event already. How is this a thing, we're not even in the same league. Plus, I don't have Revan, and can very rarely beat him, so I lose... super fun event though...qoalp3do67pk.jpg
    easy you mean?
    t9stgrxl2147.png
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    @Howardc85

Click the rewards button and you will be able to access your opponents in game profile with his ally code. You likely found the wrong swgoh.gg profile.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Just saying that I removed mods from all my toons below G8 and went from 4.05M GP to 3.99 and got 6 teams to set on D.

Grats CG, you gave us an incentives to not level and gear toons!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TWings wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    TWings wrote: »
    There are really a lot of people missing the point here.
    Sure there are diferents people with diferent games styles alright, and those people make their choices, but bascially the message sent by GA's matching only by pure GP is :
    Don't unlock toons you don't use, don't star up toons you don't use, because if you do so, even if they stay at gear 1 level 1, you'll get penalized as eventually they'll be compared to g12 toons in GA.

So it really has nothing to do with playstyle or strategy, unless you mean actually not unlocking/staring up toons for who you do have the shards already (and I could pretty much include zetas and gear in this but let's keep it simple) is a strategy. So, what I should have really done is keep all those toons ready to be unlocked but not push the "activate" button alright ? Short version, players should hold off everything to make sure their GP is not "artifically" buffed up by useless stuff.

I don't know, but I really doubt that's the message EA/CG want to send. That would basically tell everyone to slow down on spending and such (pretty much like the paper zombi case).

What?

I think you are missing the point.

Each level you increase, adds to GP
    Each ability you add, adds to GP
    Each gear you add, adds to GP
    Each mod you place, adds to GP

Adding those are all player choices. If you developed with no focus or goal of having a use for a toon and just want pure GP because you are TB focused, those choices will hurt you in competitive mode like TW or now GA.

This doesnt mean you shouldnt develop but as always you should have focus and manage your resources to make sure you are getting the best bang for your buck.

Activating a toon does add a small amount but that's not what is hurting people when getting matched against a focused roster. The old mindset of TB, where you bring toons up to lvl 50, place mods, ability to 6 and gear up using the stuff you have a bunch of. << not balancing this or following this too long is what has been hurting people in TW and now GA.

Focusing at a certain point on good defensive teams and counters to some of the good teams, helps you develop a lean and effective roster. This focus is not only specific teams, just a focus on teams that can be used.

Unlocking CUP does not get him compared to CLS, but we need an arbitrary point system to rate development so that the devs are not hand holding matches and judging toons for us. That's the players choice who they think they can make win a match.

I'm inviting you to read my first post again... My point is GP is flawed and a bad basis to compare two rosters for matchmaking.
    In my case, I have dozens of gear 1 lvl 1 toons, and as I stated previously already in raw GP 4 toons 7 stars ungeared and unleveld = 1 gear 12 toon. That causes me to be matched with players with twice the amount of G12 but half the amount of toons unlocked.
    Now if you think that's perfectly fine that way, that's your opinion, but I strongly disagree. 4 toons lvl 1 (no matter how many stars they have) will never in a million year be anywhere close to be match for even 1 single g12 toon.

That beeing said, I'm tired of those steriles arguments. I've said what I had to say (more than once), if I don't see an improvement, I'll most likely stop SWGOH. There's really no point of playing if you take the fun out of a game. It's no big deal. I took some of my time to post my feedback on this forum (for the first time in 3 years) because I do actually care. I'll just move on if I have to. There are already a lot of good alternative options out there (Star Wars games and others) that are fun to play and have actual working matchmaking (figures) !

So you chose to sink resources into staring up toons you will not use. The other player did not.

I wouldn't consider that "fluff" as that is a representation of the choices you have made. Since we didnt know that this game mode would operate this way, it can be seen as unfair, but that doesnt make it inaccurate as far as a raw measure of how much development you have done. I.e. a measure of how you allocated X number of resources.

A guild of players setup like that would rock TW, but are scoring less in TB. It's all a trade and balance. This is a particular game mode that is here to measure us in this way.

This type of issue comes up any time we get a new raid or any content. We didnt see it coming and dont have our roster designed to the specifics of this mode. Some people who having been coming into their prime with TW in mind are going to be ahead of others, but those with wider rosters can now smartly develop toons to make other useful teams "cheaper" than someone starting from scratch. We may also have an easier time getting new toons or if a rework comes around.

There are advantages to having a bigger roster, but they may not be realized early on in this game mode.

I am not saying it's perfect, but it's not that unfair. It's actually very unbiased and allows the players choices to play through. I would argue it is less fair to have the devs placing matches based on other criteria they decide, or made specific.

Again, if they added other unbiased values, it may feel better, ( i.e. - # g12/g11...ext) but we should want them to keep it as unbiased as possible, we dont need them making a X toon series and a non X toon series.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    Just saying that I removed mods from all my toons below G8 and went from 4.05M GP to 3.99 and got 6 teams to set on D.

TB has only ever been the incentive to gear and level USELESS toons.

Not gearing and leveling useful toons will still hurt you in the other game modes.

Edit : put an extra not in there.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    edited December 2018

TB has only ever been the incentive to not gear and level USELESS toons.

Not gearing and leveling useful toons will still hurt you in the other game modes.

Edited

whut?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Boov wrote: »

Edited

whut?

Fixed that.
  • Gp is a raw number and doesn’t give the whole story. We knew this when Tbs rolled around.

It makes Cents from cg standpoint- this is another game mode that rewards players for spending on newer toons.

To the argument of not basing off gp alone, cg knows that and that’s why they have that feedback thread on tw match making. I’m sure It will happen here too, it’s just super new.

• Boov
    604 posts Member

Edited

whut?

Fixed that.

that makes more sense ;)
    I'll still argue that it's counterintuative to NOT equip excess gear, use excess abi mats or use excess credits to level characters. It just seems wrong to me that using excess resources to "improve" your roster actually potentially hurts your performance (by being paired with stronger players in TW/GA in terms of roster strenght, not GP)
    "excess" being the key word. It's not a choice between gearing fluff or gearing usefull characters, you can easily do both without compromising the other.
    I'm all for making player choices matter when it comes to competative game modes. But it's a hard sell to argue that having fluff is a player error/choice. Having a full max CW chewbacca instead of a full max Nest (equal in GP) however is a different matter. Maybe that's an arbitrary line, but i think choosing in which toon you invest your resources justifies a competative advantage, choosing to NOT invest your resources on the other hand doesn't. (please note i'm not referring to hoarding to be ready for what ever and when ever, that's a solid strategy)
    To overexagurate my point even further:
    Currently it's better to wait with leveling, gearing, abi lvl upping and modding a character untill you've got all the resources needed to get said character at a usefull/competative level. One would expect that having a specific, usefull character at g7, lvl85 and abi's maxed is better than having that same character at lvl 1, ungeared and unmodded, but it's not.
    obviously one halfway done character isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but it's about the principle. Imo there simply is no way to justify it even being slightly better to NOT gear a usefull character.
    PS. I'm just arguing to argue. GP, while not perfect, may very well suffice for matchmaking purposes. The downsides, which are discussed above, don't have to be a dealbreaker. Every matchmaking system has it's downsides and every player has his own personal preferences, so it's never ever going to be perfect. If it's equal amount of g12/11 toons, then what about mods? if it's mods aswell then what about having key toons, if it's that aswell then what about the other guy just being better at the game? etc etc.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Edited

whut?

Fixed that.

that makes more sense ;)
    I'll still argue that it's counterintuative to NOT equip excess gear, use excess abi mats or use excess credits to level characters. It just seems wrong to me that using excess resources to "improve" your roster actually potentially hurts your performance (by being paired with stronger players in TW/GA in terms of roster strenght, not GP)
    "excess" being the key word. It's not a choice between gearing fluff or gearing usefull characters, you can easily do both without compromising the other.
    I'm all for making player choices matter when it comes to competative game modes. But it's a hard sell to argue that having fluff is a player error/choice. Having a full max CW chewbacca instead of a full max Nest (equal in GP) however is a different matter. Maybe that's an arbitrary line, but i think choosing in which toon you invest your resources justifies a competative advantage, choosing to NOT invest your resources on the other hand doesn't. (please note i'm not referring to hoarding to be ready for what ever and when ever, that's a solid strategy)
    Currently it's better to wait with leveling, gearing, abi lvl upping and modding a character untill you've got all the resources needed to get said character at a usefull/competative level. One would expect that having a specific, usefull character at g7, lvl85 and abi's maxed is better than having that same character at lvl 1, ungeared and unmodded, but it's not.
    obviously one halfway done character isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but it's about the principle. Imo there simply is no way to justify it even being slightly better to NOT gear a usefull character.
    PS. I'm just arguing to argue. GP, while not perfect, may very well suffice for matchmaking purposes. The downsides, which are discussed above, don't have to be a dealbreaker. Every matchmaking system has it's downsides and every player has his own personal preferences, so it's never ever going to be perfect. If it's equal amount of g12/11 toons, then what about mods? if it's mods aswell then what about having key toons, if it's that aswell then what about the other guy just being better at the game? etc etc.

I dont disagree, that up until TW and this new game mode that came out that the general mindset of upgrading toons for GP made sense, but it still should have been done with some intent. But once TW came out there was enough specifically useful toons that anyone remotely competitive would have been focusing on toons that have a use over just pure GP.

I never said to not invest, just that investing in toons you cant use has always been a bad choice. Even if doing that for TB, there needed to a balance. There are very few people that could actually say, I have all the useful toons maxed and now I need to just burn resources.

It's all a balance and that balance is in the player control, good choice and bad are all represented when you get into a certain game mode. As I said in a different post. The low GP focused TW roster guild will do great there, but be less effective in TB and could have issues getting new toons and keeping up with reworks and new events. It's all a trade, unless you are at a certain ocean going mammalian species.

I am hopeful that in the full rounds of 8 players that we will get a better view of the game mode. Maybe round 1 will always be rough but the next 2 rounds that will then have win record accounted for will make it feel better for all involved.
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member

Edited

whut?

Fixed that.

that makes more sense ;)

I dont disagree, that up until TW and this new game mode that came out that the general mindset of upgrading toons for GP made sense, but it still should have been done with some intent. But once TW came out there was enough specifically useful toons that anyone remotely competitive would have been focusing on toons that have a use over just pure GP.

I never said to not invest, just that investing in toons you cant use has always been a bad choice. Even if doing that for TB, there needed to a balance. There are very few people that could actually say, I have all the useful toons maxed and now I need to just burn resources.

It's all a balance and that balance is in the player control, good choice and bad are all represented when you get into a certain game mode. As I said in a different post. The low GP focused TW roster guild will do great there, but be less effective in TB and could have issues getting new toons and keeping up with reworks and new events. It's all a trade, unless you are at a certain ocean going mammalian species.

I am hopeful that in the full rounds of 8 players that we will get a better view of the game mode. Maybe round 1 will always be rough but the next 2 rounds that will then have win record accounted for will make it feel better for all involved.

There should be leagues with rewards though: pitting strong players together with the same rewards as group of weak players is unfair. Strong players need to make more effort to get the same rewards.
  • Neo2551 wrote: »

Edited

whut?

Fixed that.

that makes more sense ;)

There should be leagues with rewards though: pitting strong players together with the same rewards as group of weak players is unfair. Strong players need to make more effort to get the same rewards.

I agree but CG needs to reward those players. That’s why I don’t see this really happening. CG knows their game a whole lot better. They know matching off GP alone will lead to what it is.

In terms of leagues I’m going to get really American here - in football you basically need to play your division better than the other teams in that division. That’s why some better teams miss out on playoffs and worse teams get to it.

Here there’s a bigger chance of stacked teams facing fluffed teams.

The paradigm may shift though. Starting with tw from now to ga. We may see more players focusing more on pvp- which I think is what cg really wants in terms of revenue.

Don’t have revan - you’re losing in ga and tw.
  • CG, if you’re following along; Thanks for bringing Grand Arena into the game. It’s a great addition. Keep up the good work.
  • Vicarious wrote: »
    I respect you Kyno and you may still remember me, but that’s some **** right there. Sorry to say.

Players are being put at a disadvantage for leveling up characters, plain and simple. This has been an issue with TW matchmaking from day one. It’s now even a bigger problem for those who want to be competitive in Grand arena.

I agree players should be selective when using their resources but shouldn’t be at a disadvantage because they have mods on all their chars and etc.

TB a guild needs high GP to get the max stars. So we have one game mode where CG is saying Work on Everything, it will be beneficial and then we have two other game modes where CG is basically saying the opposite. Besides all that, Paper zombie. Does anything else really need to be said....

Paper zombie

If your goal is to collect, and aren't necessarily pvp oriented, then why do you care if you win GA or TW?
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Vicarious wrote: »
    I respect you Kyno and you may still remember me, but that’s some **** right there. Sorry to say.

Players are being put at a disadvantage for leveling up characters, plain and simple. This has been an issue with TW matchmaking from day one. It’s now even a bigger problem for those who want to be competitive in Grand arena.

I agree players should be selective when using their resources but shouldn’t be at a disadvantage because they have mods on all their chars and etc.

TB a guild needs high GP to get the max stars. So we have one game mode where CG is saying Work on Everything, it will be beneficial and then we have two other game modes where CG is basically saying the opposite. Besides all that, Paper zombie. Does anything else really need to be said....

Paper zombie

If your goal is to collect, and aren't necessarily pvp oriented, then why do you care if you win GA or TW?
    in fear of stating the obvious; you'll be able to collect at a higher rate if you're also winning.
  • Boov wrote: »

Paper zombie

in fear of stating the obvious; you'll be able to collect at a higher rate if you're also winning.

An extra droid caller a month and some additional mod slicing materials, yes. Not significant enough to change the trajectory of your roster progression... assuming the rewards stay the same obviously, which they may not.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

Paper zombie

An extra droid caller a month and some additional mod slicing materials, yes. Not significant enough to change the trajectory of your roster progression... assuming the rewards stay the same obviously, which they may not.

i'd be amazed if the rewards don't change when the final event goes live tbh.
    Rewards will probably be based on GP like with TW, potentially making it beneficial to increase fluff xD
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    BrtStlnd wrote: »

Paper zombie

It's pretty sure they will get better. From the appropriate megathread:
    Q: Will the Rewards change for future Grand Arena Events?
    A: Yes, a typical grand arena will take place over several days, and will have commensurate rewards. This first one lined up to start on 12/6 is a single round of the event and therefore reflects the effort. We'll reveal more info around the full reward structure later this week, but we're keen to see how the first exhibition game goes later this week.
  • Vicarious wrote: »

Paper zombie

Even a player whose primary goal is to collect will have some competetive spirit as well. We’re playing a game, and a new, potentially fun mode has been introduced. I want to have fun playing it, even though PVP has never been my primary focus. Uncertainty about the outcome is necessary in order for the game to be fun. So I don’t want to win (or lose) because of a broken pairing algorithm. I want to win (or lose) because I made good (or bad) strategic decisions against an opponent who was similarly situated.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • At the end will be " why I was matched with guy who have 20 speed mods while i have only 10" cool stories
  • Austin9370 wrote: »
    The GP component of matchmaking is most negatively impactful for long time players and most beneficial for newer players.

Long time players starred, geared, and leveled characters that are no longer as impactful as they once were. For example, Jawas had some use in the earlier days of the AAT when everyone was trying to get their 2% per phase. There are now better options for new players. And of course, the great Teebo for the Rancor. Just a few examples off the top of my head.

For new players, there are a lot of characters and limited resources. Chance are you didn't upgrade characters that have limited or no use for TW, TB, Raids or PVP. Of course, there are some people who just like characters and don't care about their utility, but they are more the exception then the rule.

Newer players are not going to be matched with long time players ....
    The GP component of matchmaking is most negatively impactful for long time players and most beneficial for newer players.

Long time players starred, geared, and leveled characters that are no longer as impactful as they once were. For example, Jawas had some use in the earlier days of the AAT when everyone was trying to get their 2% per phase. There are now better options for new players. And of course, the great Teebo for the Rancor. Just a few examples off the top of my head.

For new players, there are a lot of characters and limited resources. Chance are you didn't upgrade characters that have limited or no use for TW, TB, Raids or PVP. Of course, there are some people who just like characters and don't care about their utility, but they are more the exception then the rule.

Assuming that the matchmaking doesn’t change, the development over time will be interesting. New whales are getting the benefit right now, because their rosters are relatively free of fluff. But over time, the characters that are meta now will become fluffy, and it’s the NEW new whales who will have the advantage.
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »

If it's strictly based on GP they will. There are launch in near launch players in the 2 - 3 million GP range. They are plenty of newer whales in that GP range too. They may be few in the top 50, but there is a game outside the top 50 (I don't really believe that though, lol).

That will be fairly rare..... There will be whales to factor in at every GP level.... They will get competitive advantage, which is fine, that is what they are paying for..
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

If it's strictly based on GP they will. There are launch in near launch players in the 2 - 3 million GP range. They are plenty of newer whales in that GP range too. They may be few in the top 50, but there is a game outside the top 50 (I don't really believe that though, lol).

That will be fairly rare..... There will be whales to factor in at every GP level.... They will get competitive advantage, which is fine, that is what they are paying for..

The funny thing is that the longer you’ve played and spent, the worse off you are vis-a-vis newer whales, because your roster will be cluttered with old meta toons, but there’s won’t.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member

i do not think it will be rare tbh, nor do i think it's necessarily an advantage.
  • BubbaFett wrote: »

The funny thing is that the longer you’ve played and spent, the worse off you are vis-a-vis newer whales, because your roster will be cluttered with old meta toons, but there’s won’t.

Maybe, maybe not..... Unless the newer whales are also buying the same fluff toons, their GP won't be as high.....