Grand Arena Algorithm simple solution

Prev13
I’ve seen a lot of uproar over the matching algorithm put on here. A simple solution would be to let users set the difficulty to low medium or hard. You could scale the rewards to each tier and people would naturally select a tier they have a better chance at winning.

Replies

• Options
    Everyone would just choose easy. People take the path of least resistance.

The easiest solution is to make matches based on the GP of a certain number of characters (20 most powerful, 30 most powerful, 40 most powerful, whatever) and then ignore the rest from the calculation. That way you aren't being paired against functionally stronger opponents for having worked on several teams or for having a large middle of your roster, nor are you being paired against functionally weaker opponents for having ignored the rest of your roster.

I'd even go as far as to say ignore fleets for the purposes of matchmaking entirely...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    All we've had is a couple of exhibition matches, one of which had broken scoring. We haven't even started the first full GA yet. The matchmaking formula will obviously get tweaked over time.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

The easiest solution is to make matches based on the GP of a certain number of characters (20 most powerful, 30 most powerful, 40 most powerful, whatever) and then ignore the rest from the calculation. That way you aren't being paired against functionally stronger opponents for having worked on several teams or for having a large middle of your roster, nor are you being paired against functionally weaker opponents for having ignored the rest of your roster.

I'd even go as far as to say ignore fleets for the purposes of matchmaking entirely...

I agree with this, a cut off to not penalize the collectors. Idk how fleets will count towards it yet.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options

I don't think that will work tbh. The most powerfull toons are the ones with the most abilities maxed. My top40 isn't that much different from a random guildmate who has roughly the same amount of zetas equiped while the "roster strenght" for GA purposes is not rougly the same.
    GP will always just be an indication of progression, not a reliable measurement of power/strenght/usefullness.
    Regardless, any parameter used to base matchmaking on has it's own issues. Some will be beneficial for player A, others will be beneficial for player B. It's basically always gonna be an issue for atleast part of the playerbase.
  • Options

No cause if you choose easy the rewards are scaled less. Like follow

Top tier rewards
    Hard 200 cuffs
    Medium 150 cuffs
    Easy 90 cuffs

Middle tier rewards
    Hard 100 cuffs
    Medium 80 cuffs
    Easy 80 cuffs

Bottom tier rewards
    Hard 50 cuffs
    Medium 60 cuffs
    Easy 70 cuffs

So if you know you suck then you would take the 70 easy cuffs. If you are good you would try for the 200. Keep the same gp tiers and algorithms on top of this.
  • Options
    This is a terrible idea. You don't get to choose it your roster is difficult, medium or easy. It either is or it isn't.
  • Options
    Here’s a thought...
    I am 2.8m GP and have to play 6 defence squads. I’ll also need at least 6 squads to fight my opponent with. So that’s a minimum of 12 squads I need; 12x5= 60 toons.
    So matchmake me on the basis of the GP of my top 60 toons.

Easy way to get some close matches and keep both the collectors and the meta-chasers happy.
  • Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    So if you know you suck then you would take the 70 easy cuffs. If you are good you would try for the 200. Keep the same gp tiers and algorithms on top of this.

The long and the short of it is that if you allow people to pick their rewards, there's still no way to ensure an incredibly strong roster isn't matched with a mediocre one with roughly the same GP anyway. So it doesn't really solve the problem.

Like, if I knew my roster wasn't good enough to place in the middle of a tier, I'd just drop down to the one below it and stand a better chance of placing in the top of that tier. So my roster, which should be middle, will go up against people who should be lower. See?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    The easiest solution is to not come up with a roster-based algorithm at all. Have both the matchmaking and the reward tiers be based on the players’ actual prior performance in GA events. Everybody is making this harder than it needs to be.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    If I say I want an easy matchup then am I getting paired against somebody with a weaker roster who said he wanted a hard matchup? What about the guy who wants an easy matchup and has a bad roster?

This doesn’t sound simple at all.
  • Options
    Olddumper wrote: »

The long and the short of it is that if you allow people to pick their rewards, there's still no way to ensure an incredibly strong roster isn't matched with a mediocre one with roughly the same GP anyway. So it doesn't really solve the problem.

Like, if I knew my roster wasn't good enough to place in the middle of a tier, I'd just drop down to the one below it and stand a better chance of placing in the top of that tier. So my roster, which should be middle, will go up against people who should be lower. See?

I actually think OP’s suggestion could work, provided that the reward tiers were very carefully calibrated to reduce the incentive to play down. I’m not SURE it would work, because a lot would depend on mass player behavior, which could be hard to predict. Still, I think it’s foolish to reinvent the wheel when a fair pairing system for pairwise zero-sum games already exists and is well understood.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »
    If I say I want an easy matchup then am I getting paired against somebody with a weaker roster who said he wanted a hard matchup? What about the guy who wants an easy matchup and has a bad roster?

This doesn’t sound simple at all.

If I understand correctly, OP is essentially saying you get to choose your bracket: maybe better than easy, medium, hard, you could call the brackets “beginner,” “intermediate,” and “advanced.” If you say you’re a beginner, you get paired with other people who said they were beginners, and play for low rewards. If you say you’re advanced, you get paired with other people who said they were advanced, and play for higher rewards.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    So basically let people self-select into the JV version? There would still be so much variation that I doubt it would reduce the complaints much.
  • Options
    Maybe add the condition that in order to select Intermediate, you have to have won a Beginner GA event. And in order to select Advanced, you have to have won an intermediate GA event.

And further maybe limit each player to selecting one of the top 2 brackets they’re eligible for.

And maybe add more brackets, say a total of 8, so everybody is able to eventually settle into a level of competition where they have interesting matchups.

It’s kludgy, and it only approximates what you’d get in a true Elo system, and can probably be gamed if you are determined enough. But I’ve come to expect kludgy, gameable solutions to simple problems in this game, so maybe this is the best we can hope for.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe add the condition that in order to select Intermediate, you have to have won a Beginner GA event. And in order to select Advanced, you have to have won an intermediate GA event.

And further maybe limit each player to selecting one of the top 2 brackets they’re eligible for.

And maybe add more brackets, say a total of 8, so everybody is able to eventually settle into a level of competition where they have interesting matchups.

It’s kludgy, and it only approximates what you’d get in a true Elo system, and can probably be gamed if you are determined enough. But I’ve come to expect kludgy, gameable solutions to simple problems in this game, so maybe this is the best we can hope for.

So in order to fix un-equal matchups which lead to a specific type of player having a really hard time winning you'll change the system in such a way that the same specific type of player always plays for lower rewards?
    I rather take my chances with the random opponent who has roughly the same amount of GP.
  • Options
    This next GA looks like it includes ships as a part of it anyway.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Options
    Boov wrote: »

So in order to fix un-equal matchups which lead to a specific type of player having a really hard time winning you'll change the system in such a way that the same specific type of player always plays for lower rewards?

Yes exactly. I think that’s a feature, not a bug. If you’re locked into a matchup that you have a 5% chance of winning, the decisions you make have very little impact on your rewards. There’s a 95% chance you get the lower rewards anyway. If you have about a 50% chance of winning, then your strategic decisions can make a big impact on your rewards. Even if you’re playing for lower rewards, you’re having more fun because your performance in the competition is actually going to have an impact on your winnings.
    I rather take my chances with the random opponent who has roughly the same amount of GP.

That’s an odd preference, I think, but I suppose I believe you. To me, that’s like saying that an advanced club player should prefer to show up at a chess match and be paired with Magnus Carlsen because they’ve both been playing for roughly the same amount of time, and the rewards for the winner of that match are better than the rewards for the winner of the 1800-2000 Elo grouping. The entire assumption in most strategy games is that the players will prefer to be matched with competitors who are roughly as good at the game as they are. The best players get the best rewards, and play against the best competition. It’s hard for me to imagine that anybody would prefer for it to be otherwise.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Yes exactly. I think that’s a feature, not a bug. If you’re locked into a matchup that you have a 5% chance of winning, the decisions you make have very little impact on your rewards. There’s a 95% chance you get the lower rewards anyway. If you have about a 50% chance of winning, then your strategic decisions can make a big impact on your rewards. Even if you’re playing for lower rewards, you’re having more fun because your performance in the competition is actually going to have an impact on your winnings.

That’s an odd preference, I think, but I suppose I believe you. To me, that’s like saying that an advanced club player should prefer to show up at a chess match and be paired with Magnus Carlsen because they’ve both been playing for roughly the same amount of time, and the rewards for the winner of that match are better than the rewards for the winner of the 1800-2000 Elo grouping. The entire assumption in most strategy games is that the players will prefer to be matched with competitors who are roughly as good at the game as they are. The best players get the best rewards, and play against the best competition. It’s hard for me to imagine that anybody would prefer for it to be otherwise.

In the games you’re talking about, there’s an objective measure of who is better. The problem here is that the people who are getting outmatched in GA *don’t believe* that their opponents are better at the game than they are. They think the opponent has played longer or spent money or focused differently or whatever reason there might be for why their roster is better suited to this game mode... but they fully believe that they should have an equal opportunity to win the same rewards as that person, because that person isn’t truly “better.”
  • Options

Also, how is this different from the existing arena reward structure? Players with PVP-focused rosters rise to the top, fight better squads, and get better rewards. Players with collector-focused rosters fall to the bottom, fight weaker squads, and earn lower rewards. Is there something wrong with that?
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The easiest solution is to not come up with a roster-based algorithm at all. Have both the matchmaking and the reward tiers be based on the players’ actual prior performance in GA events. Everybody is making this harder than it needs to be.

Great. Now you just have to tell us all how initial matchups are determined...

Also need to define "performance."

Everybody is making it as hard as it needs to be, because it's not easy.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options

The system proposed doesn't guarantee a 50% chance of winning though. The 95/5% is also a example out of thin air. Comparing the absolute worst in the current system to the absolute best in the proposed system is not saying much.
    It's not odd at all. If i'm better than roughly 75% of the players in my GP region, i want to win 75% of the time and reap the rewards. I'm playing to win, not to be the best.
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

In the games you’re talking about, there’s an objective measure of who is better. The problem here is that the people who are getting outmatched in GA *don’t believe* that their opponents are better at the game than they are. They think the opponent has played longer or spent money or focused differently or whatever reason there might be for why their roster is better suited to this game mode... but they fully believe that they should have an equal opportunity to win the same rewards as that person, because that person isn’t truly “better.”

Maybe some do. That isn’t what I think, but it may be what some people think. I honestly haven’t seen many people complaining that PVP-focused players will get better rewards in this mode—the complaints seem to be about the competitiveness of the matches for the sake of competition itself. They’d prefer matchups where both sides have a fighting chance. I don’t think the reward structure affects that preference very much.

And for those of us who do badly in GA, but crave the better rewards, we can improve our rosters for GA, just like we can improve our rosters for arena. The decision about whether to invest resources in GA squads is affected by the reward structure (the better the rewards at higher levels, the more I’ll be incentivized to invest), but also by the quality of the matchmaking. The matchmaking needs to provide pairings that are at least competetive enough that marginal investments in my GA roster lead to noticeable improvements in my GA performance over time.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Great. Now you just have to tell us all how initial matchups are determined...

Also need to define "performance."

Everybody is making it as hard as it needs to be, because it's not easy.

I don’t mind at all if the initial matchups are determined by total GP. Or you could just start everybody off at a rating of 1000, and see what happens. The Elo algorithm will eventually settle everybody in to a region where they’re competetive no matter what the initial ratings are. What I care about is that the matchmaking gets appreciably better over time. It doesn’t have to be perfect (or even very good at all) right now, as long as it is making progress towards reflecting our true performance.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe. I expect that we would see a lot of complaints along the lines of “oh, sure, you match me against totally unfair opponents to start and now that I keep losing I don’t even get a chance at the same rewards that the guy who bought Revan is going to get” blah blah blah.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options

Maybe some do. That isn’t what I think, but it may be what some people think. I honestly haven’t seen many people complaining that PVP-focused players will get better rewards in this mode—the complaints seem to be about the competitiveness of the matches for the sake of competition itself. They’d prefer matchups where both sides have a fighting chance. I don’t think the reward structure affects that preference very much.

If you want to get better rewards eventhough you suck, wouldn't you say you just want a "more fair matchup"? Ever noticed you see very few complaints about unfair matchups from players who won?
  • Options
    Here’s a thought...
    I am 2.8m GP and have to play 6 defence squads. I’ll also need at least 6 squads to fight my opponent with. So that’s a minimum of 12 squads I need; 12x5= 60 toons.
    So matchmake me on the basis of the GP of my top 60 toons.

Easy way to get some close matches and keep both the collectors and the meta-chasers happy.

Here is the problem with that...

If you have 60 well geared toons, compare the GP of your top 60 toons to that of a kraken who has every toon in the game maxed. It will be roughly equivalent.

So someone with 60 strong toons will be matched against someone with 160+ strong toons. Your opponent will have way more options to use to take out whatever defense you set. They will have infinitely more options than you and will beat you nearly every time.
  • Options
    The system proposed doesn't guarantee a 50% chance of winning though. The 95/5% is also a example out of thin air. Comparing the absolute worst in the current system to the absolute best in the proposed system is not saying much.

I’m not asking for a guarantee of a 50/50 chance of winning. That’s probably impossible. What I’m asking for are pairings that generally are competetive. True that the 95/5 example is out of thin air, but it’s by no means the “absolute worst in the current system.” Some of the mismatches people have reported would have been literally impossible for the weaker player to win, unless the better player just forgot to play.
    It's not odd at all. If i'm better than roughly 75% of the players in my GP region, i want to win 75% of the time and reap the rewards. I'm playing to win, not to be the best.
    I still find it odd that you’re pegging your expectations to your “GP region.” GP is a really bad and arbitrary measure of competetiveness in this game mode. I thought we all agreed on that. So suppose I tell you that over time you will get equal rewards for either (1) winning 75% of your matches against players in your GP region, or (2) winning 50% of your matches against players in your true “competetiveness” region. Same distribution of rewards over time to everybody, but more competetive matches in which the players’ on-the-board choices, not the matchmaking, are decisive. Do you still truly prefer the less competetive system?
  • Options
    If you want to get better rewards eventhough you suck, wouldn't you say you just want a "more fair matchup"?

If somebody who sucks wants better rewards in GA, they should work on a GA roster that sucks less. Just like in arena.
    Ever noticed you see very few complaints about unfair matchups from players who won?

Maybe not complaints, but I’ve definitely seen people on these boards and in my guild remark that they felt sorry for the other guy having to go up against them.
  • Gannon
    1632 posts Member
    Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »

I agree with this, a cut off to not penalize the collectors. Idk how fleets will count towards it yet.

Could match based on the number of characters within the 3 highest gear tiers you have. (5-7, 10-12 for example) would be a more accurate count of your viable units against others at your level, and should produce closer matchups.
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Options

I’m not asking for a guarantee of a 50/50 chance of winning. That’s probably impossible. What I’m asking for are pairings that generally are competetive. True that the 95/5 example is out of thin air, but it’s by no means the “absolute worst in the current system.” Some of the mismatches people have reported would have been literally impossible for the weaker player to win, unless the better player just forgot to play.
    Point being that it's just an assumption that in the proposed system players will be more equally matched. Who's to say that there won't be 100/0% matches in the lowest, or highest tier players can choose? For all we know the 100/0% won't even occur that much in the current system. So you're just comparing 2 possibilities to eachother that are made up to make a point.

I still find it odd that you’re pegging your expectations to your “GP region.” GP is a really bad and arbitrary measure of competetiveness in this game mode. I thought we all agreed on that. So suppose I tell you that over time you will get equal rewards for either (1) winning 75% of your matches against players in your GP region, or (2) winning 50% of your matches against players in your true “competetiveness” region. Same distribution of rewards over time to everybody, but more competetive matches in which the players’ on-the-board choices, not the matchmaking, are decisive. Do you still truly prefer the less competetive system?

What do you consider my "true competetiveness region" though? equal roster, equal skill or both equal roster and skill?
    There are plenty noobs with amazing rosters and vice versa.