GW, What you need to know

So GW is supposed to be set up like this.

Nodes 1-3 teams weaker than you
Nodes 4-9 Teams slightly weaker progressing to slightly stronger
Nodes 10-12 teams stronger

So here is where "your" strength comes from. It is your highest ever team power on an arena win.

Ok so here it is. I test teams a lot. I tested a team it was 28,600 something. I won. I did not really care too much for it compared to my other one at 28,247, so I'm based off a team 350 power higher. Now that said I switched me team again, now my team is only 27,455, so I'm based off a power over 1,300 higher than what I run. Following so far? Awesome.

Now I don't know about you, but I do not run a tank or healer in Arena. That said my GW team is quite different than my arena. My GW team is 26,400ish, so I'm now at 2,400 lower than what I'm matched as.

So to sum this part up I am matched based on a power ranking I ran 1x and that is 2,400 more powerful than my team I use in GW. My "weaker than me fights(1-3), are typically mid 25k-27k, my slightly weaker than me to slightly stronger(4-10) are typically 26,500-28,500, usually 28k+ by node 5 or 6. Now the stronger than me team(10-12) are typically a mix of 5 of the top 8 powered characters all max geared. This is my GW. Now before the "fix" I met these stronger than me teams by node 2 or 3 daily, sometimes start to finish.

So that is how it is determined. It may seem broken, but we often forget we don't run the same. I run no tank, no healer in PVP. I run 2 healers in GW and less DPS.

Now is this flawed or broken? Reality is, no, and yes. No it is matching you up by the very best you put out. No it is progressing from hard, to very hard, to FML for some. Yes because it matches you based on a totally different game mode. PVP is about blow them to kingdom come in under 5 minutes. You start each fight fresh without cooldowns. GW is about surviving. You carry damage, no cooldown reset. It is very logical and probable to assume that the same team in PVP is not run through GW. Sorry but QGJ,Yoda,Rey,GS, and Dooku are not walking through 12 GW nodes. They are fast, they hit hard, 2 have very fast special cooldowns, they are not tanky, they do not heal. This is where the flaw is.

I finish GW daily, have for over 60 days strait. I like the challenge I get. I don't mind losing characters, being forced to sacrifice certain key ones to press on. It is "war" after all.

I think they should re-eveluate the matchmaking of it since not everyone has a deep bench of geared and leveled characters at their disposal. Perhaps take the average of the power of your top 8-10 characters(within 5 levels of your player level to avoid cheating the system) and multiply it by 5 to get your matchmaking power rank. Just a thought. Sure is better fitting than your highest ever power on an arena win.

Replies

• Tuscan21
    514 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks DMS, the node ranking match my experience
  • Options
    I finally figured out the secret to fighting lvl 47s most of the time. But I don't want the devs to change it soooooo..... My lips are sealed
  • Options
    Foomerang wrote: »
    I finally figured out the secret to fighting lvl 47s most of the time. But I don't want the devs to change it soooooo..... My lips are sealed

That would be so boring. I love the challenge.
  • Options
    "I think they should re-eveluate the matchmaking of it since not everyone has a deep bench of geared and leveled characters at their disposal."

Disagree with this. Takes ages to get a deep bench, and if you complete GW then you deserve it. If you don't then get one. If you have a deep bench and can't beat GW, then you don't know how to play the game.

Frankly it matters little to me I have a very deep bench anbd finish daily. I went awhile in the 40's not finishing because of matchmaking, so I learned and built. Agree or disagree. I feel many are becoming frustrated and will quit. New ones will come, yes, hit the same problem/wall, quit. Make it a little more feasable.

Honestly I love the challenge, but me being matched based off a team over 2k more powerful than I run is just stupid. I can deal with it since I have a huge army to use, others though can't. The current matchmaking discourages testinfg because people will want to keep their power lower to complete GW. GW remains the best overall place to get resources, so they will sacrifice elsewhere to maximize it.
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for breaking it down DMS. This is just my personal experience and am not suggesting otherwise, but I actually preferred the challenge from the broken system of seeing what should have been on node 9 starting at 3 or 5 all the way through. I did loose 3 GW during that time and it took half of a day or more to finish. I worked on leveling up assassin teams, worked out all kinds of combinations and got to play all my toons, albeit my lowest died w/o the enemy even using supers or 1 AOE from Sidious. Now I breeze through it in 20 to 30 minutes with very few retreats. I'm still working on leveling up lesser toons but have lost some of the challenge and play time I had on the broken system.

I suppose a benefit to the fixed GW was I was able to really push in Arena and now compete for the #1 spot payout regularly.
  • Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    While I agree with the OP on how it is supposed to be. I could have a 28k team in arena the day before, and have a 70 purple team at node one, and a 28 blue team at the final node. It's all over the place now. Who knows how it is based on.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    OP, that MIGHT be how it should work out, but that's not how it was working out and still doesn't seem to be that way. Prior to the patch, I would be faced of against teams as much as 7k above me. And this is against the exact same A-Squad from arena. Since the fix, I haven't seen these wild swings but I have faced teams way below me early on and several times well below me on the 12th node.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options
    Nice post DMS, +1 to your idea.
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • Options
    Blue in GW? I never see blue in GW,lol.

I like the challenge too. Choosing who I must lose to press on. Deciding who I can sacrifice for the greater good. I love it.

@Doga I got the same, still do get the fully loaded teams node 2, I did yesterday.

I honestly love GW. Speaking of it I have 4 more nodes to go. Next up is a team at 28 and a half K, I love it.
  • Options
    Yudoka wrote: »
    OP, that MIGHT be how it should work out, but that's not how it was working out and still doesn't seem to be that way. Prior to the patch, I would be faced of against teams as much as 7k above me. And this is against the exact same A-Squad from arena. Since the fix, I haven't seen these wild swings but I have faced teams way below me early on and several times well below me on the 12th node.

7k above you, so then you run about 20k power then? now higher than 22 for sure.

Oh and I had that issue when I was in the 40's and low 50's. I took my beating and learned from it.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options

7k above you, so then you run about 20k power then? now higher than 22 for sure.

Oh and I had that issue when I was in the 40's and low 50's. I took my beating and learned from it.

It was happening to me in my 40/50's. My best arena team was about 16k and I'd be fighting up to 23k in GW. It's much better than that now since the patch. I'm now also level 60 with almost 19k in best squad power.

They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options

It was happening to me in my 40/50's. My best arena team was about 16k and I'd be fighting up to 23k in GW. It's much better than that now since the patch. I'm now also level 60 with almost 19k in best squad power.

I had that in my 40's and 50's too. I went a good spell of not finishing, after nailing my 1st 3. I've now finished over 60 strait after that utter beating(I had no idea of retreat or force close(now retreat)) i got some input her, a lot from @Qeltar as I was starting, and read guides, tried new approaches, and built depth. It helped me get back on track, and get on a roll. Before the "fix" I was facing high powered teams node 1 on, by high power talking nothing under 27k really. Now it is a little better, but I liked, and still like the challenge.

I'd say the mashups get better, but that would be false. What I will say is you will find them more doable. There are people here that will offer input too as needed.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    Learning about the retreat is pretty key (even if it has been nerfed). I've since been able to finish a lot more GW's by resetting fights gone wrong.
  • Options
    Learning about the retreat is pretty key (even if it has been nerfed). I've since been able to finish a lot more GW's by resetting fights gone wrong.

Trial and error to get that RNG helps. Also to reply to see if you can get out in better shape a different way, ect.
  • Options
    Good post DMS!

"Use your entire collection of characters to battle for exclusive rewards." - from GW Rules

The game expects that you will lose a lot of your characters to get through the war. The key is to have a big roster.

I think it goes along with the achievenents section where you have to collect X amount of LS/DS characters (I forget how many b4 the achievement is completed). So the game encourages you to expand your roster in at least 2 areas.

Cantina, Arena, and GW shipments all have different characters to star up - another way the game encourages roster expansion by forcing us to star up multiple characters at a time (even more options with LS/DS/Cantina Battles).

And then of course we all have the option to shell out for chromium packs and/or crystals to speed up the collection process. What a game!
  • Options
    I don't have a deep bench to chose from so I do not beat GW any more but can't say I don't try I've lost ever member I do have before I stop and my best team is 20,400.00 and faced a team at about 28k so needless to say I lost my butt in the match. But I figure if I can get 400 points a day for 5 shards I'll take it and make the best of it I do miss the credits that would help me build up my lower ranked toons.
  • Options
    When I first started GW, I had no problems finishing it for a week. It wasn't until I got to around lvl 55 that I started having trouble. I've gotten to the last tier the past few days, so it hasn't been as bad
  • Options
    I see lvl 70 7* purple geared teams from about node 3 or 4 onward. I don't find GW challenging though. I finish daily too, over 60 days straight now too like DMshawn. I run full * full gear lvl 70 luminara, phasma, gs, Ig86, jc(lvl64, full * and gear). This team lasts me all the way to 2nd or 3rd last node. Subs of maxed poggle, poe and ewok elder (full gear, lvl 70, but 5 star) are usually enough for me to get through. I have 3 or 4 suicide squads to burn AI specials if needed, but usually don't need to. I didn't realize so many ppl found GW challenging, if that's the case I'd love it if ppl working their way up could have a bit easier of a time while those who've been able to max out 10 chars or more could be given more of a challenge. I'd love to fight a final team with a 6th support leader for example!
  • Options
    My arena power is about 13000, just over that. How in God's name can I have a node 12 then of all 61-65 characters, 5/6 stars, half with purple gear then. Cause that's WAY outside the box for any kind of fight I could pull off. Especially since my heroes are highest level 48, I'm upgrading them very slowly, because I use my Arena team as my primary for GW, and I don't wanna bollocks up being able to get at least 400/800 GW marks a day, ideally the full 1200, Poggle ain't gonna buy/upgrade himself.