Grand Arena is awesome!

2Next

Replies

• Options
    At least now they definitely weighted the rewards to benefit the Whales. 3 zetas if you have the inventory of a whale, 0 if you don't.

Yay, what fun
  • Options
    Boofpoof wrote: »
    For the new player who has had the benefit of being mentored about the Do's and Dont's of SWGOH I would assume that GA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But for someone like me who made poor decisions in the beginning (because it was new and the wealth of information wasn't out there at the time) and were here in the beginning of TB/TW (where GP is/was king) well...I would venture a guess there's a LOT of bloated GP out there. And I'll point the finger directly at myself when I say that. A focused roster is going to win against a stretched out roster I would say 99 percent of the time.

I'm not saying it's not a bad game mode. I enjoy the rewards and I won my first couple of battles. But it suffers the same problems that TW has had forever. The matchmaking is kitten. The matches I have had I've seen discrepancy after discrepancy where I've had way more G12 toons than my opponent yet our GPs were within 100-1K. And I've won those matches. I don't mind an easy match up here and there but the one match I lost was when my opponent had what I had (and more along with Traya). And guess what. His GP was within that 100-1K bracket. So it's apparent to me that the matching is deeply rooted in GP. At least the rewards are worth the effort. I'll give credit where credit is due there.

it isn't necessarily that you made poor decisions early on, there just weren't as many good choices. Many of the past meta toons are completely worthless now. many of the only choice toons for certain events have had better toons added since they were first around.

the longer you play without becoming a whale the worse your decisions will seem to have gotten and the less "resource management" has any meaning.
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Keydash1 wrote: »
    I also really enjoy strategizing around my opponents roster. And unless you spend a ton of time planning out your matchups, the time is considerably less than sith raid or tw. The last one was 7 battles, that's around 20 minutes of action. I do appreciate that lopsided matchups make the game more less fun. I would like to see a rating system. Each GA you would be group with players of similar GP and rating. Prizes could scaled with rating, so players aren't punished for doing well or encouraged to tank their rating for easy matchups.

Thats not a bad suggestion rating and GP
    Well done

this is a horrible suggestion. So if you don't do well due to a bad matchup, bad luck or just not being a whale then you get worse prizes so you can't build a better roster, while the whales and the overly lucky get even farther ahead with better prizes. Great plan.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Alijar1 wrote: »
    I like it. I just don't like getting matched up against people who have 12+ gear 12 characters while I have 1.

Then gear up.

Yes i'm sure they hadn't thought of that. ill just snap my fingers and gear up.
  • Options

There wasnt ;)

Huh. So not only does everyone else disagree, apparently you do as well since you're still posting in here?

Wat

Not seeing the apparent problem you have title says awesome its not, does not mean its not good.... or bad just not awesome.... the potential is there depending how they handle people who finish 0-3 4,5,6 times in a row

Wanna find out who the best is.... winners get grouped with winners losers grouped with losers
    Only way keep rewards from creating a major gap

Disagree. I lost one round to a player with revan, while I don't and his mod collection was slightly better. He deserved the win. I have won three rounds (practice single round and went 2-1 in inaugoral GA ). I won all three times because my mod collection was far superior.

So, as far as I see it, match making should be done as is. People that strategically develop their roster and properly mod their toons should be able to exploit those that don't.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    ottomaddux wrote: »
    I like it. I just don't like getting matched up against people who have 12+ gear 12 characters while I have 1.

Then gear up.

Not at all what I said.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    At least now they definitely weighted the rewards to benefit the Whales. 3 zetas if you have the inventory of a whale, 0 if you don't.

Yay, what fun

I'm not a whale, why have I won all my matches so far?
  • Options

Yay, what fun

Fluke? ;)
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Yay, what fun

Fluke? ;)

Actually I don't have any data to support my claim, it's just feelings.
  • Options

Then gear up.

Not at all what I said.

Nah, that is what you said. "Then gear up" suggests I have the resources and energy to gear up 11 other characters to gear 12, all of whom will need at least 3 carbantis and stun cuffs each. As a completely f2p'layer, that's kind of a ridiculous goal.
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't burned in a day. You can catch up.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    For the new player who has had the benefit of being mentored about the Do's and Dont's of SWGOH I would assume that GA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But for someone like me who made poor decisions in the beginning (because it was new and the wealth of information wasn't out there at the time) and were here in the beginning of TB/TW (where GP is/was king) well...I would venture a guess there's a LOT of bloated GP out there. And I'll point the finger directly at myself when I say that. A focused roster is going to win against a stretched out roster I would say 99 percent of the time.

I'm not saying it's not a bad game mode. I enjoy the rewards and I won my first couple of battles. But it suffers the same problems that TW has had forever. The matchmaking is kitten. The matches I have had I've seen discrepancy after discrepancy where I've had way more G12 toons than my opponent yet our GPs were within 100-1K. And I've won those matches. I don't mind an easy match up here and there but the one match I lost was when my opponent had what I had (and more along with Traya). And guess what. His GP was within that 100-1K bracket. So it's apparent to me that the matching is deeply rooted in GP. At least the rewards are worth the effort. I'll give credit where credit is due there.

it isn't necessarily that you made poor decisions early on, there just weren't as many good choices. Many of the past meta toons are completely worthless now. many of the only choice toons for certain events have had better toons added since they were first around.

the longer you play without becoming a whale the worse your decisions will seem to have gotten and the less "resource management" has any meaning.

Rebels, empire, maul, rex. These all contain elements of the past meta and are by no means worthless.

As an example, most of the newer toons and updated factions are placed on defenses in TW.... how do you think people are taking them down if it's not for mixes of metas past?
  • Options
    The GA was nice as it was only 5v5 not too many Units in the Defense and still enough left for Offense. With 3v3 and more Units to place the whole Game Mode was screwed...only my personal opinion
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Bytestream wrote: »
    The GA was nice as it was only 5v5 not too many Units in the Defense and still enough left for Offense. With 3v3 and more Units to place the whole Game Mode was screwed...only my personal opinion

@Bytestream you are placing less toons. You will need more leads, but most 5 toon teams had more than 1 lead in there anyway.

bqf78lggcb9n.jpg

33 toons at top end
    jek6dhpoj1xx.jpg

35 toons at top end.
  • Options

I also thought so when GA was announced. But after playing the real thing I have changed my mind. I'm casual player and will never compete against whales. All my opponents had very close GP but obviously had later start, playing in stronger guilds and had roster much more focused on current meta. Some were in top100 arena top5 fleet rating while I struggle for top500/top50. My top squads were nothing against theirs. My last opponent had something like 20 G12 against six I have. Still, I won 3-0. Mostly because my roster was deeper - deep enough to field more or less adequate defense team on every spot while keeping powerful offence. Last fight was very close - we both lost all defenses except fleet but my defenders did more damage to him because, as I said, I have deep roster while he had no choice but field pure garbage squads on def.

So no, if you start earlier you are not handicapped by default. Maintain certain amount of good squads to fill all spots, try to get newly released legendary/hero toons on 2-3 appearance (entirely possible for f2p or light spender), and you should be competitive enough.
  • Options
    It’s cool if people like it. Personally I don’t. We’ve only had 1 GA so far and to me it’s boring. Probably because it’s the same thing like TW..except it’s for solo players.

I thought GA would have been this new game mod where we battle other people in arenas or something...I didn’t think it was gonna end up like TW.
  • Options

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I have a super deep roster of 3-4* toons at level 41-50 to help my guild with TW but I’ve also only lost one match of GA do far and that dude had a Traya. Skill in picking teams and setting the correct offense and defense can definitely turn the tides in a fairly lopsided battle.
  • Options

miketo wrote: »

There wasnt ;)

Huh. So not only does everyone else disagree, apparently you do as well since you're still posting in here?

Wat

Not seeing the apparent problem you have title says awesome its not, does not mean its not good.... or bad just not awesome.... the potential is there depending how they handle people who finish 0-3 4,5,6 times in a row

Wanna find out who the best is.... winners get grouped with winners losers grouped with losers
    Only way keep rewards from creating a major gap

Disagree. I lost one round to a player with revan, while I don't and his mod collection was slightly better. He deserved the win. I have won three rounds (practice single round and went 2-1 in inaugoral GA ). I won all three times because my mod collection was far superior.

So, as far as I see it, match making should be done as is. People that strategically develop their roster and properly mod their toons should be able to exploit those that don't.

The people who don’t understand mods are astounding. I’m fighting G12 Vaders with 2* mods and 155 speed! When you do a matchup check on Discord and see you have a ton more 15+ and 20+ speed mods it’s **** Christmas. I don’t care how many G12 toons you have, if your mods are trash you’re going to lose.

My only negative with GA is that more people are realizing they have trash mods and are focusing on them, which is bad for my guild.
  • Options
    ga is horrible. some people like it some people dont. its very divisive feature and not good for the game because of how it is dividing the player base.

i hope all you that love grand arena have a merry christmas sitting by yourself huddling over your phone playing grand arena.

ill be relaxing with family and enjoying some real star wars fun instead of playing the game.

i usually let me nephews play a raid during christmas because they enjoy star wars. not this year i am going to tell them how bad a job ea/cg did and that i dont want to expose them to the predatory tactics that have played out.

Spoiler alert: the player base has complained about literally every single new game mode or raid that has been introduced to the game. Every. Single. One.
  • Options
    The best part of GA is the rotating “themes”. I would prefer ships in everyone but it wont happen

There is major potential behind the changing formats we will see where it goes

Changing formats is great but make sure that the GP matching used to make these fights "fair" is following the changes. No fleets than only match people based on champ GP not total GP.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    It’s cool if people like it. Personally I don’t. We’ve only had 1 GA so far and to me it’s boring. Probably because it’s the same thing like TW..except it’s for solo players.

I thought GA would have been this new game mod where we battle other people in arenas or something...I didn’t think it was gonna end up like TW.

Well 3x3 will certainly be different.
  • Options
    GA is my favorite game mode. Its better than tw.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Even though I have gripes about matçhmaking, GA is already my favorite mode in the entire game too.
  • Options
    GA has it's. Power points...I like the strategy and placing defense and forming an army for offense. The problem I'm seeing is matching. And I would like to see more effort in making it a true challenge not a lop sided win. Now if I could choose a match up where I'm grossly overmatched to try at better rewards then I made that choice to do so. When I don't get to pick my match and I'm forced to fight a match that is very unbalanced..the game feature is proven broken and bias to the one with more tools at winning. You don't place a bull in a horse race. Yeah he looks good..just as strong as the horse if not stronger both were training for the race but the horse will unfortunately win. Matching should go beyond GP..weigh all game aspects with thier selective opponent. Toons vs toons, gear level vs gear level, Zata vs Zata...you can breack down matching further then just GP...GP isn't at all an accurate tool for matching. If it was..then every match would conclude the same or in the same neighborhood of all the above used. The current matching is akin to hand selection pick of winners and losers..making the GA event a farse and a waste of players time under the guise of fairness. .give us a challenge yes please do this, but not so overwhelmeing impossible, where there is already a clear winner. Why not let the match decide for itself based on the fair and equitable balance of all the eliments that make up the opposing players GP, and the groups win/loss record. I would feel the same if my opponent was undermatched compared to me.
  • Options
    Joost wrote: »
    We critisize the game when we have to but I Think we should also let the devs know when something is great! Grand Arena is the most fun I have had in the game since the release of TW and even though the rewards weren't worth the time yet this was just a test event.

I enjoy the fact that you really need to take your time to study the opponent and you don't rely on other players like you do in TW and TB. Also the rewards seem better for the next one and a 3v3 is a nice change of pace.

Keep it up CG! Some Clone Wars love next would be appreciated ;)

You must be getting fair pairings. I think it's a good concept but I have two wins and both were for last place due to being paired against people fully stacked gear 12.5 you name it they have and get wiped out until the last matchup then have a chance at a win. Not fun at all. The pairing process is sketchy at best. I have a 3.5mil go but I don't have any teams to compete with most of the pairings I get. Waste of my time for probably 6 months or more. No fun at all. Boring and waste of time.