Military Might tier 1 twice as hard after crystal refresh

Tier 1 recommends gear 8, 5 star characters. Tier 2 gear 10, 7 stars. With gear 8 and 7 stars, my Phoenix team lies smack in the middle. And sure enough, tier 1 was a walk in the park while tier 2 seemed impossible after several attempts.

After refreshing tier 1 with 200-ish crystals, it is nearly as difficult as tier 2. Definitely a lot harder than on my first attempt. In both tiers, the Emperor now one-shots my characters with lightning strike, which didn't happen on my first run. The troopers hit a lot harder too. Where I arrived at stage 8 with full health and protection the first time around, I now already see half empty health bars at stage 2.

I noticed something similar in the Ground War event a while ago but chalked it up to bad RNG and had all but forgotten about it. Now I feel understandably a bit cheated since I didn't get the difficulty that I paid for. There is nothing to indicate that a replay will be harder than the first attempt. Has anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I've never refreshed (much better uses for crystals elsewhere imo) but I'm very skeptical of this.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Update: I was able to beat tier 1 for a second time after a lot of sweat and cursing. Still, it was nothing like the quick and breezy first playthrough that I could have autoed and mostly did. I guess that'll teach me to spend crystals on Assault Battles replays.

PS: Forum idea: Make it impossible for users on someone's ignore list to reply to that person's threads or posts. I think that would help make the forum a lot less toxic than it currently is.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The forum allows you to ignore my replies. It doesn't prevent me from posting in your threads, and in fact I've never seen a forum that does that. It would be a terrible forum that would only let you hear voices that agree with you.

But it's nothing personal. I'm skeptical of every claim that events are harder until someone has proof. And furthermore, "skeptical" leaves room for the possibility, however unlikely, that you are right.

With that I'll try to remember to stay out of this thread. I don't get notifications that you are ignoring me.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Doing an event 3 times, doednt really give you a good measure of the difficulty.

It is hard to say an event was more difficult when you are in the middle edge of the requirements as RNG plays a bigger part in your ability to beat an event.
  • Options
    Tier 1 recommends gear 8, 5 star characters. Tier 2 gear 10, 7 stars. With gear 8 and 7 stars, my Phoenix team lies smack in the middle. And sure enough, tier 1 was a walk in the park while tier 2 seemed impossible after several attempts.

After refreshing tier 1 with 200-ish crystals, it is nearly as difficult as tier 2. Definitely a lot harder than on my first attempt. In both tiers, the Emperor now one-shots my characters with lightning strike, which didn't happen on my first run. The troopers hit a lot harder too. Where I arrived at stage 8 with full health and protection the first time around, I now already see half empty health bars at stage 2.

I noticed something similar in the Ground War event a while ago but chalked it up to bad RNG and had all but forgotten about it. Now I feel understandably a bit cheated since I didn't get the difficulty that I paid for. There is nothing to indicate that a replay will be harder than the first attempt. Has anyone else noticed this?

Replays are not harder than the first attempt.However, some of the assault battles can pan out very differently depending on kill order, RNG seeds etc. I've had events where I've breezed through first time and then on the repeat spent 20 tries before getting it. However, on none of those has the enemy hit harder or anything, it's just been RNG.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Vendi1983
    5024 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    His lightning strike always one shots. You have to manage his TM or control who eats it if using Phoenix so you can put backup plan on them.

It's not because of the refresh, it's RNG. If I enter Wave 8 with Kanan or Chopper not ready to taunt I just restart. No point.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, but I'm an i***t. Tier 1 unlocked again today and I saw what happened yesterday. Somehow Kanan ended up in the leader slot after the crystal refresh. I should have noticed the shorter health and protection bars, but somehow that didn't occur to me.

The only explanation I have is that the game forgets the last used team when you buy a refresh and acts as if you're playing the tier for the first time. Meaning it assigns the 5 rebels or clones with the highest GP to the slots. In my case, this happened to be my Phoenix team, but not in the right order since my Kanan has the highest GP of the bunch :| With Hera in the right slot, it was a walk in the park again today.
  • Options
    Nice. People don't often come back and admit their boo boos. Well played and glad it all worked out for you today.