Is Stun Broken?

Prev1
UlicQ
198 posts Member
I don’t know if this is a “known issue” or if there’s a mechanic that I’m missing, but I keep seeing toons shrug off stun and then act.

In my last battle, every time I stunned Traya she would come out of stun and instantly have 100% turn meter and take her action as is she hadn’t been stunned. Every time.

I double checked her leader skill, and I’m not seeing anything that should be allowing her to do this.

Replies

• UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    She is dispelling all debuffs on Sith allies at the start of their turn.

Stunned toon gets 100% TM, stun is removed via Traya's unique, character attacks.

ts3yb3ewrjii.png
  • Options
    i figured it was because they gain turn meter and end their turn, which ends their stun? Some abilities remove stun and then allow them to attack.

At start of each sith's turn traya dispells all debuffs?
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Stunned toon gets 100% TM, stun is removed via Traya's unique, character attacks.

ts3yb3ewrjii.png

But the issue is it’s Traya herself who is stunned, so she shouldn’t be able to dispel a debuff on herself until she actually gets a turn, and the definition of stun is that the character misses a turn. This would actually be true of any other sith toon too. If they are stunned they don’t get a turn to dispel themselves.

If this is the intent the ability should say all sith are immune to stun. Because that’s basically how it’s working.
  • Options
    UlicQ wrote: »
    I don’t know if this is a “known issue” or if there’s a mechanic that I’m missing, but I keep seeing toons shrug off stun and then act.

In my last battle, every time I stunned Traya she would come out of stun and instantly have 100% turn meter and take her action as is she hadn’t been stunned. Every time.

Was there a Thrawn present using his special ability on her? If Thrawn was on that team, his special can cleanse her debuff and swap his TM with hers.
  • Options
    If traya is zeta'd any debuff on a sith, including stun, will be removed at the start of their turn. It's working as intended
  • Options

ts3yb3ewrjii.png

But the issue is it’s Traya herself who is stunned, so she shouldn’t be able to dispel a rebuff on herself until she actually gets a turn, and the definition of stun is that the character misses a toon. This would actually be true of any other sith toon too. If they are stunned they don’t get a turn to rebuff themselves.

If this is the intent the ability should say all sith are immune to stun. Because that’s basically how it’s working.

It's working like this:
    1) Traya gets 100% TM (start of her turn)
    2) Her unique checks for any debuffs (still her turn)
    3) Unique cleans debuffs (still her turn)
    4) Stun is gone so she can attack.

"If this is the intent the ability should say all sith are immune to stun" Sith aren't immune to stun though, it still keeps them from assisting etc until they reach their turn.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

ts3yb3ewrjii.png

But the issue is it’s Traya herself who is stunned, so she shouldn’t be able to dispel a debuff on herself until she actually gets a turn, and the definition of stun is that the character misses a turn. This would actually be true of any other sith toon too. If they are stunned they don’t get a turn to dispel themselves.

Uniques don’t require taking an action so it doesn’t matter if she’s stunned at the time or not.

They aren’t immune to stun. If they are plagued so that debuffs can’t be cleansed, it won’t get cleansed, for example. This is no different than Ahsoka removing debuffs from herself, and she has been in the game for a long time.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    You will also see this a lot with L3 who can get stunned but immediatly cleanse herself.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options

Was there a Thrawn present using his special ability on her? If Thrawn was on that team, his special can cleanse her debuff and swap his TM with hers.

No, it was 4 v 1, Traya alone. She was stunned. When her TM hit 100% and the stun ended, her TM filled to 100% again and she took a turn.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

No, it was 4 v 1, Traya alone. She was stunned. When her TM hit 100% and the stun ended, her TM filled to 100% again and she took a turn.

It didn’t fill to 100% again, it never left 100% because she hadn’t finished her turn yet. This has already been answered. Sorry you don’t like the answer but that’s how it works.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options
    stumpoman wrote: »
    If traya is zeta'd any debuff on a sith, including stun, will be removed at the start of their turn. It's working as intended

But the game’s definition of stun is that the character misses a turn. If they miss a turn then they can’t have a turn that dispels the stun.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

ts3yb3ewrjii.png

Uniques don’t require taking an action so it doesn’t matter if she’s stunned at the time or not.

They aren’t immune to stun. If they are plagued so that debuffs can’t be cleansed, it won’t get cleansed, for example. This is no different than Ahsoka removing debuffs from herself, and she has been in the game for a long time.

It may not require an action, but based on the description it needs a turn, and if she’s stunned she should miss her turn.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options

It didn’t fill to 100% again, it never left 100% because she hadn’t finished her turn yet. This has already been answered. Sorry you don’t like the answer but that’s how it works.

Just because you answered my question, it doesn’t mean your answer is correct.

Your answer includes the words “hadn’t finished her turn yet” but by definition when stunned she doesn’t get a turn. Not sure why that’s so hard to understand.

Based on both powers descriptions, she shouldn’t get a turn.
  • Options
    It is true that when you are stun you lose a turn
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Your answer includes the words “hadn’t finished her turn yet” but by definition when stunned she doesn’t get a turn. Not sure why that’s so hard to understand.

Sure, it’s far more likely that the way you want the game to work is correct despite the fact that it has never worked that way. There is no mechanic that treats stun the way you want it to be treated.

Another example: Boba’s contract. It applies to the first enemy that takes a turn. If the first enemy to reach 100% TM is stunned and thus doesn’t do anything, that still counts as the first enemy to take a turn for purposes of the contract.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options
    Lethoiun wrote: »
    It is true that when you are stun you lose a turn

And therefore can’t dispel stun on herself at the start of a turn that she misses.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options
    And as for the comments about Fulcrum and L3, those are entirely different mechanics at work. L3 dispels someone when she's damaged, so it doesn't require a turn, so it would make sense that she could dispel it on herself if she was stunned and then took damage. And Fulcrum (Ahsoka) dispels debuffs on herslf at the end of "each" turn, i.e. anyone's turn not her own. So it makes sense for her to shrug stun off as soon as she's hit with it, as her dispel would fire when the attacker who stunned her ends their turn.

The issue with Traya's ability as it's described as she (or any sith) to have an action for the dispel to cleanse them, but the stun "should" negate that turn.

As I said, if this is working as intended it should be reworded to say all Sith are immune to stun because that's basically what's happening.
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options

Sure, it’s far more likely that the way you want the game to work is correct despite the fact that it has never worked that way. There is no mechanic that treats stun the way you want it to be treated.

Another example: Boba’s contract. It applies to the first enemy that takes a turn. If the first enemy to reach 100% TM is stunned and thus doesn’t do anything, that still counts as the first enemy to take a turn for purposes of the contract.

Not sure why my original reply disappeared. Anyway roughly what I said:

I'm not trying to be rude, but the way I've described stun is the way it's worked for as long as I can remember. How does stun work when you use it on a character? Do they not miss their next turn? Because they should.

And I'd argue that if it's working the way you describe on Boba's contract (I've never tested that), the mechanic should be fixed there as well. Either that or the definition of what stun is supposed to do needs to be changed.
  • Options
    And as for the comments about Fulcrum and L3, those are entirely different mechanics at work. L3 dispels someone when she's damaged, so it doesn't require a turn, so it would make sense that she could dispel it on herself if she was stunned and then took damage. And Fulcrum (Ahsoka) dispels debuffs on herslf at the end of "each" turn, i.e. anyone's turn not her own. So it makes sense for her to shrug stun off as soon as she's hit with it, as her dispel would fire when the attacker who stunned her ends their turn.

The issue with Traya's ability as it's described as she (or any sith) to have an action for the dispel to cleanse them, but the stun "should" negate that turn.

As I said, if this is working as intended it should be reworded to say all Sith are immune to stun because that's basically what's happening.

Firstly, your definition of stun is wrong. Basiclly what happens when you are stunned, your character loses 100% of its turn meter at start of its turn (which is why they still get their cooldowns reduced by turn and with your definition that shouldnt happen). Now this game and alot of other games have somthing called order of actions. And traya's cleanse have a priority on stun which means that first her cleanse do its thing then stun do its thing but since cleanse removes stun nothing happens. I hope I helped
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I'm not trying to be rude, but the way I've described stun is the way it's worked for as long as I can remember. How does stun work when you use it on a character? Do they not miss their next turn? Because they should.

And I'd argue that if it's working the way you describe on Boba's contract (I've never tested that), the mechanic should be fixed there as well. Either that or the definition of what stun is supposed to do needs to be changed.

I have no idea in what circumstances you believe it used to work that way.

Here’s another example: Krennic can stun for 2 turns. If being stunned means you don’t get a turn, how can that stun ever end?
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    I could swear I've seen this happen before too, and not on teams where someone like Traya or Thrawn was around to cleanse it.

I remember thinking during a lot of Galactic Wars before I could sim it "wait, wasn't that guy stunned?" Darth Vader seemed to do it a lot. Unfortunately it didn't happen with any kind of regularity so I was never thinking to record it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I could swear I've seen this happen before too, and not on teams where someone like Traya or Thrawn was around to cleanse it.

I remember thinking during a lot of Galactic Wars before I could sim it "wait, wasn't that guy stunned?" Darth Vader seemed to do it a lot. Unfortunately it didn't happen with any kind of regularity so I was never thinking to record it.

I notice it all the time because I use aayla stun a lot
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options

Firstly, your definition of stun is wrong. Basiclly what happens when you are stunned, your character loses 100% of its turn meter at start of its turn (which is why they still get their cooldowns reduced by turn and with your definition that shouldnt happen). Now this game and alot of other games have somthing called order of actions. And traya's cleanse have a priority on stun which means that first her cleanse do its thing then stun do its thing but since cleanse removes stun nothing happens. I hope I helped

My definition of stun is straight from how it's described in the game:

SWGOH: Debuff: Stun: Character misses a turn and cannot avoid attacks.

Here's a complete buff/debuff list if you want to look for yourself: https://gaming-fans.com/star-wars-goh/swgoh-resources/buffs-debuffs-list/

Furthermore, after reading your reply I tested it on another team and never once did a character lose ANY turn meter when stun was applied. After being stunned, they retained all turn meter and continued gaining turn meter until they reached 100% at which time, they were NOT allowed to act and their turn meter was instantly reduced to 0%. If what you describe is happening when you use stun I'd love to see a video of it, because I have NEVER seen stun work the way you describe it.

Also, I agree 100% with the order of operations argument, unfortunately when looking at the order of operations logically, one has to have a turn in order to gain any benefits from that turn, but if a character is supposed to miss their turn, the order should be for them to miss their turn above all else (unless otherwise described - which it is not in this case).
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options

Here’s another example: Krennic can stun for 2 turns. If being stunned means you don’t get a turn, how can that stun ever end?

It works that way in every circumstance other than when fighting Traya (apparently) - see my post below, I just tested it and it works exactly as I've described.

As for Krennic, that' easy. After the character MISSES 2 turns they get to act.
  • Options

Here's a complete buff/debuff list if you want to look for yourself: https://gaming-fans.com/star-wars-goh/swgoh-resources/buffs-debuffs-list/

Furthermore, after reading your reply I tested it on another team and never once did a character lose ANY turn meter when stun was applied. After being stunned, they retained all turn meter and continued gaining turn meter until they reached 100% at which time, they were NOT allowed to act and their turn meter was instantly reduced to 0%. If what you describe is happening when you use stun I'd love to see a video of it, because I have NEVER seen stun work the way you describe it.

Also, I agree 100% with the order of operations argument, unfortunately when looking at the order of operations logically, one has to have a turn in order to gain any benefits from that turn, but if a character is supposed to miss their turn, the order should be for them to miss their turn above all else (unless otherwise described - which it is not in this case).

If you would've read his post carefully you'd realize he wrote "[...] your characters loses 100% of its turn meter at start of its turn[...]".
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • UlicQ
    198 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

If you would've read his post carefully you'd realize he wrote "[...] your characters loses 100% of its turn meter at start of its turn[...]".

You are 100% right, that was my bad. Apologies. But that is not how the game describes how stun is supposed to work. The turn should be missed, which also should be the first operation in the order of operation. Otherwise as I originally stated, the ability should state Sith are Immune to Stun, because as it's working they can NOT be stunned. This is very different than dispelling a regular debuff.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

It works that way in every circumstance other than when fighting Traya (apparently) - see my post below, I just tested it and it works exactly as I've described.

As for Krennic, that' easy. After the character MISSES 2 turns they get to act.

In most circumstances there is no difference between “not getting a turn” and “getting a turn in which you don’t get to do anything unless the stun is cleansed.” So yes, of course it happens consistently with both of those most of the time. It’s only circumstances where those definitions diverge that can test this, and in every circumstance I can think of what happens is consistent with the latter.

Nest is another example. Some people seem to think that stunning her is a bad idea but it’s not. In fact it’s a great idea because the protection goes away after her stunned turn.
  • Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

You are 100% right, that was my bad. Apologies. But that is not how the game describes how stun is supposed to work. The turn should be missed, which also should be the first operation in the order of operation. Otherwise as I originally stated, the ability should state Sith are Immune to Stun, because as it's working they can NOT be stunned. This is very different than dispelling a regular debuff.

See my post above regarding the order things are happening, it was caught in spam filter.

It's easier to understand stun as preventing a character taking an action on their turn, rather than missing a turn. And they aren't immune to stun, as all the other effects (can't evade, assist etc) are in play until they reach their turn.