Drop rate peculiarities

Prev1
My son and I have been playing this game just under a year now. We have had a blast playing, mostly building the same teams.

When the KoR team was released we both started exhausting each KoR node daily, buying the energy refreshes every day since they have been released. (Technically I worked 1 of the 2 cantina nodes until 7*, he spread his between the 2 nodes there in a balanced build.)

He recently took a break for 3 weeks to rock climb in California. He played sparingly, even had about a week of zero access at all. When he returned recently, I disheartened and bewildered to find that (without spending money) he was almost 300 shards ahead of me AND he had several already 7* so he was significantly ahead of me.

How on earth can the drop rates be so different over a period of a couple months? If it were truly random then the law of averages should have kicked in - hell I could understand a 100 shard swing - but 300 AND he stopped because several were at 7* way before me?

Are others seeing this?

I'm not pushing the buttons different than him - is there a trick to this game that I am just not doing?

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Are you sure you were doing the same number of attempts each day? He wasn’t using crystals to refresh while you just used natural energy or something?

Even so it’s entirely possible with your sample size of two people of course. The law of averages isn’t really a law in the sense you’re using it — extremes will exist across the many people who play this game.
  • Options
    There is no trick. Many players/guilds have tracked drop rates for character shards - and they are consistent across all nodes/energy forms ~ 30-33%.

RNG is random and that could be one explanation. Another could be crystals spent for shards directly through shipments or the 600 crystal energy packs available in the store. Also, 3 of the KOTOR toons are also available through fleet battles (Jolee, Bastila and Z) - so is it possible that he was cross farming those characters there?
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    The official answer is law of averages balance out eventually, but who knows
  • VaexquaGer
    466 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    "Statistics are like a drunk with a lamppost: used more for support than illumination."

Sir Winston Churchill

B)
    Post edited by VaexquaGer on
  • Options
    I've been farming Lando's Falcon with ship energy for a while. Literally every day for three weeks, I've had enough ship energy left over to sim twice on Anakin's ship. Just two bites at the cherry, but every day. I got my first shard yesterday. That's 1 shard from approx. 40 chances. Sometimes, rng just isn't in your favor! *shrugs*
  • Options
    Look at it this way. You flip a coin. Heads or tails. 50 50 is your rng right?

You flip a coin 9 times and it lands heads all 9 times.

What are the odds that the tenth flip will be heads? Law of average it must be really low right? Wrong. Its still 50 50. The coin doesnt have feelings it doesnt know its been heads 9 times in a row.

Rng resets each attempt. It doesnt care about any other attempt.
  • Malagrazia
    12 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

What are the odds that the tenth flip will be heads? Law of average it must be really low right? Wrong. Its still 50 50. The coin doesnt have feelings it doesnt know its been heads 9 times in a row.

Strictly talking, the odds of having head is 50%

The odds of having the 10th head after 9 of them is 0.098%...

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Malagrazia wrote: »

Strictly talking, the odds of having head is 50%

The odds of having the 10th head after 9 of them is 0.098%...

No. That’s the odds of having 10 heads in a row before you know any of the results. If you’ve already flipped the coin 9 times, the odds of the 10th flip being heads is 50%. It’s completely independent of the results of the first 9.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is a belief that the drop rate for character nodes is 30% and some people on this forum cling to that belief so tightly that they refuse to listen to anything or anyone that says otherwise.
    But for what it's worth, I don't believe the 30% is true for all characters. I do accept that it might be true across all characters averaged out but it's not 30% for each individual characters. So if you were farming different characters, I can easily see why you would have large differences in your results.
    But as I say, not everyone agrees with me.
  • Options
    I have noticed that when the character you are farming is in a shop the drop rates are significantly lower. Several of my guild mates have experienced the same.
  • Options
    That's RNG. Me and a bunch of my guildmate have been farming Hot Topic since she got a node, and although we do the same refreshes I've collected half the shards as the rest. Nothing you can do about it except how about farm of yours is doing better than average.
  • Options
    Consider this: if the odds of a shard drop is always a fixed 1/3, you can easily calculate a few scenarios. The odds of not getting a drop on any given single attempt will always be 2/3. But as others have said, the odds of not getting a drop on consecutive attempts is exponentially less likely. Simply calculated as 2/3 ^ x where x is the number of consecutive attempts. So the odds of not getting a single shard after 8 consecutive attempts is 2/3 ^ 8, or 3.9%

So if I roll all 8 attempts at once (in the case of current hard node limit), I can expect that roughly 1 of every 25 times I'll get 0 shards.

I can say that's happened to me many times, but probably not enough to be far apart from the odds.

There's a ton of anecdotal evidence from the community, but until/unless CG actually confirms a drop rate, we'll never know if they have other factors in play that affect drop rates.
  • Options
    What arena brackets are you guys? The crystal income difference could be the culprit. Also there was a mass of events over Christmas that and one of you may have missed some of them.
  • Options
    And let's not forget confirmation bias. We rarely remember the time we went 6 for 8 on a set of hard node sims (be they done 1 at a time, 2 at a time, or 8 at a time). But we always remember going 1 for 8. Unless you're diligently tracking your attempts vs. results, results are inaccurate. There are older posts by some serious stats people (and by serious I mean probably took a course or two) you can probably search for.

That being said, I have one account that "feels" like it has better drop rates than another on character shards, but the other account gets significantly better drops from challenges (zetas / heists) and bronziums (higher percentage of full character drops). And while I stopped tracking it, it was pretty consistent. For example, I farmed KRU for both at the same time with the same number of refreshes. One finished up a week in front of the other for both character and ship. The other finished the character a week later and was still 50ish shards short on the ship?

If I were a social scientist whose business was understanding how to incentivize spend in a mobile game, it's entirely possible I would create a reinforcement bias (different drop rates, drop rate as a function of completion %, that sort of thing) in certain profiles to see if there was a correlation between the profile's reinforcement bias and the likelihood of that bias to produce spend.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Options
    Boobacca wrote: »
    I'm convinced after playing this game for 30+ months that they fiddle with the drops and/or have a trigger that kicks in close to milestones. I've noticed that drops are loose at the beginning of a farm, but when you get closer to a star level or completed gear piece, the drops tighten to almost nothing. They can say it's random all they want, but I'm not buying it.

No way. For my farm , mission has been giving great drop rates after I got the first six stars. I was ready to grind it out but I couldn’t believe how easy it’s been for me to get the final 100 shards, and especially the last 10 of those. This is both close to a revan return , and close to completed mission. Which both are the exact opposite of your claim. Was much harder in my initial farm of her. I’ve been farmin off of natural energy since the revan event. No refreshes.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    my farms have gone badly the last few days, proving OP's point
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • NoobSaibot12321
    191 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    CG has already said how the drop rate of shards works, in great detail. Its not there fault if you lack the education to understand.
  • Options
    Great stuff everyone, I will add more info to cause more discussion.

What I am seeing is a significant shift in what should happen under random value generation, a simple 1 or 0. As someone pointed out, yes – in theory if you flip a coin it has a 50/50 shot of being one or the other – BUT if you flip it 10 times, the odds of it hitting 1 to 9 are very off. Hitting 1 to 9 every day for months while someone else hits 3 to 7 every day is not random, not at all.

More details:
    Every day that the Old Republic people have been out my son and I have used the 8 energy attempts for each character (not for T3, I did not start him until Vao was 7* due to shared energy), every day (for me – not for him). Yes, there is a chance I missed a couple here and there along the way but for argument sake, lets say we both hit all 8 for all 4 characters (T3 was not hit until I got Vao up).

I am sitting at:
    Vao – 7* (a couple weeks)
    Bastila – 63/100
    Jolee 18/100
    Zaalbar – 0/85
    T3 – 49/65

I also did most the attempts in the ship battles for Bastila. T3 was not started until Vao was 7*

My Sons team is:
    Vao – 7*
    Bastila – 7*
    Jolee 7*
    T3 – 7*
    Zaalbar – 6* (unknown count)

He has been 7* for some time on many of them. He did 0 ship attempts for Bastilla…

So that is about 120 days, 8 attempts per day on 4 characters – doing the math it works out to:

I am seeing a 15% drop rate for the 4 characters

He had a minimum of 29%, he finished up a while back so the % is much higher.

Once again – how is his drop rate 2x mine over a significant time period? His appears to be in the right % range over time.
  • DarthPurgatory
    626 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The only answer you're going to get here is twofold:

A) RNG
    B.) The drop rate is somewhere around 33% because people who mathed it out said so and it must be fact
    C) Don't dispute that with your experiences because See Above
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Rotten wrote: »
    Great stuff everyone, I will add more info to cause more discussion.

What I am seeing is a significant shift in what should happen under random value generation, a simple 1 or 0. As someone pointed out, yes – in theory if you flip a coin it has a 50/50 shot of being one or the other – BUT if you flip it 10 times, the odds of it hitting 1 to 9 are very off. Hitting 1 to 9 every day for months while someone else hits 3 to 7 every day is not random, not at all.

More details:
    Every day that the Old Republic people have been out my son and I have used the 8 energy attempts for each character (not for T3, I did not start him until Vao was 7* due to shared energy), every day (for me – not for him). Yes, there is a chance I missed a couple here and there along the way but for argument sake, lets say we both hit all 8 for all 4 characters (T3 was not hit until I got Vao up).

I am sitting at:
    Vao – 7* (a couple weeks)
    Bastila – 63/100
    Jolee 18/100
    Zaalbar – 0/85
    T3 – 49/65

I also did most the attempts in the ship battles for Bastila. T3 was not started until Vao was 7*

My Sons team is:
    Vao – 7*
    Bastila – 7*
    Jolee 7*
    T3 – 7*
    Zaalbar – 6* (unknown count)

He has been 7* for some time on many of them. He did 0 ship attempts for Bastilla…

So that is about 120 days, 8 attempts per day on 4 characters – doing the math it works out to:

I am seeing a 15% drop rate for the 4 characters

He had a minimum of 29%, he finished up a while back so the % is much higher.

Once again – how is his drop rate 2x mine over a significant time period? His appears to be in the right % range over time.

Again, there are tons of people playing this game. Your son has had a normal drop rate. If your numbers are correct you have had a very unlucky drop rate. But across the large number of people playing this game, there are going to be some with exceptionally lucky or unlucky streaks. It’s like winning the powerball. The odds are extremely low, but with enough people buying tickets over enough draws, eventually it’s going to happen.
  • Options
    CG has already said how the drop rate of shards works, in great detail. Its not there fault if you lack the education to understand.

I'm interested in reading what CG has said about drop rate of shards, but haven't been able to find this info. Care to share a link?
  • AlienOverlord
    213 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Your shard counts look oddly low. I started Bastilla as soon as she was available and in ships and have had her at 7* for at least 2 months. I had to farm the vets for a month while farming Z and T3. Some days I didn't farm Jolee if I had other pressing farms but I started using ship energy on him a month ago.
    Currently:
    Bastilla 7*
    Z-71/100
    Jolee- 55/100
    Mission- 34/100
    T3- 0/100

Most days I spend 200-300 crystals on cantina refreshes. Do you spend any crystals on refreshes? How about your son?
  • Options
    FolsomTony wrote: »

I'm interested in reading what CG has said about drop rate of shards, but haven't been able to find this info. Care to share a link?

Not surprised it's hard to find it was a live QA with with a member of CG staff, all I remember is she was female. But I do remember the main bullet points. Gotta go back to work now I'll come back later with a link.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    I remember she said that the drop rates were never changed at any time regardless of what toon is coming up or needed and that the community already knows the drop rate which is widely accepted to be ~33%
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    I used to run two accounts, saw the same kinds of variance. It was usually the same areas too, my droid about had amazing luck with zetas and gear, the iPhone had amazing luck with shard drops. In the end tho, they eventually balanced out over time
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    I remember she said that the drop rates were never changed at any time regardless of what toon is coming up or needed and that the community already knows the drop rate which is widely accepted to be ~33%

Yup pretty much, she went into a little more detail but that is the main takeaway of it.
  • Options

*It's. *Their.
    I wouldn't normally bother with such pedantry but you are the one who got snippy about someone else's apparent "lack of education". :smile:
  • Options
    I have been playing for two years and have tracked many of my farms. Yes, rng is a factor. No,the drop rate is certainly not 33%. 20 - 25% is much more likely.
  • Options
    Stenun wrote: »

*It's. *Their.
    I wouldn't normally bother with such pedantry but you are the one who got snippy about someone else's apparent "lack of education". :smile:

Good catch, I blame it on auto correct.;)