Was Revan good for the game?

Replies

• Options
    leef wrote: »
    I’m personally tired of timing out in arena. The Revan meta is the worst part of this game.

Step your game up, don't time out anymore. Prior to revan's 2nd event i liked battling vs revan more than vs cls/nest. (granted, it's mainly due to me being a noob and screwing up vs nest more often than i care to admit)

Step my game up? Sure....
  • Options
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    The way cg handles power creep is not good for the longevity of the game...but then ea only has the license until 2023 anyway.

Only until 2023, haha.
    f this freemium game remains profitable from 2015 to 2023 i'd say it had an awesome run.

Sure, but people talk like this is a "real" game. That's a great run for a phone game. If this was a mmorpg that wouldn't be considered an "awesome run".

I don't know man, i think 8 years is a good run for pretty much any recently released game except for maybe mmorpg's (i'm not that familiar with those type of games).
    Just ask yourself, what game is being played for atleast 8 years and isn't considered a smashing success? I can't name any.
    regardless, the whole longevity/powercreep argument has been brought up many times before, yet here we are, still playing.

There are so many games that could be listed to not even make it worth compiling a list...

Power creep is a necessary part of the business model here. I'm not sure what your point is?
    That's exactly my point, but with your earlier statement you seemed to imply that it's somehow bad for the longevity of the game.
    Anyway, it seems to me that ea/cg is doing just fine managing the powercreep since we're here, three and a half year after the game's initial release. There probably hasn't been a single month in which no one complained about the powercreep in those 3.5 years though..

Unrestricted power creep over the long run is always bad for games. I dont think its necessary to explain why in to much depth? Simply, it gets ridiculously stupid after awhile and shortens the life span of previous content. But of course, that takes time to get to that point. When we are talking about a little phone game with a limited lifespan it isnt as important.

I definitely disagree that cg is managing the power creep well. If they did manage it well they would lose money. That is the business model...but again, we all understand that right?

You mentioned you aren't familiar with mmorpgs, and then I feel like I'm having to explain the basics behind power creep. Seems a bit strange in this day and age to find someone who hasn't played mmos and hasn't experienced the negative effects of power creep over the long run of a game.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I dont think one single event/character can be good or bad for the game (to a reasonable extent).

I think Revan was not bad for the game, but I wouldnt say he is good for the game either.

Does the trajectory we are on hurt the game, I'm not sure. Right now (everything up to and including Revan) I would have said no. Power creep was present and we all seemed to get through it, maybe a little salty on the change but we all figure it out and have made it work.

I think Revan as a single point in the trajectory could lead to a different steeper level of power creep, which is not necessarily good for the game.
  • Options
    I find it funny how these same threads appear during every meta defining toon. I’m just remembering all the “traya is OP”, “traya is ruining the game”, “my shard top 50 is all Traya”, “wall of trayas”, “was Traya good for the game?” threads. Revan is not unbeatable and this is proven by people using the cls, chewie/han, 3po squads. Yes top 50 is all revan, and 8 months ago top 50 was all Traya too. That’s just what happens with metas, this isn’t new. If you don’t like how long the mirror battles are just throw chewie in place of kenobi and if you don’t like all revans in arena then just wait for the next meta toon which should be soon.

TL;dr this isn’t new, find other squads to beat revan (spoiler: they exist) or wait for a few weeks more till the new meta toon is released. This is the circle of life.

100% agree.
  • Options
    I dont think Revan himself hurt the game. I think all the nerfs they have done to protect Revan and the STR are what's killing this game tbh.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Revan has ruined the meta and single handidly ruined other characters because they were nerfed to compensate, if you come up with a Revan counter, it was nerfed. Revan has extra clauses in his leader to counter literally every meta at the time. His Leader that stops tm gain literally only effects two other characters, Bast and Maul, Maul that used to be a counter before the Nest nerf, and Bast which would have worked against him if not for all the clauses against her.

He was designed for one reason, Revenue, they didn't care it would ruin the game for many people. They didn't care that it would make matches time out or that mirror matches would be cancer.

And stop with the terrible I can't think of anything so here's this excuse "Oh this again, oh its happened before, of one of these threads" ect. it doesn't make you look smart.

The fact is the arena meta pre-Revan was perfect. Traya beat Bast. Palp beat Traya. Bast Beat Palp. It was a perfect Paper scissors rock meta.

Just like ships too before Falcon ruined ship arena. They have forced these meta's onto us because they want to control what everyone uses. Notice how we all have to play the game longer now? Interesting, hey.
  • Options
    Look, it's simple. The ones who constantly complain about the meta and <insert OP toon here> are salty because the meta didnt change or stay in THIER favor. You have to consistently evolve and try new things to stay relevant in arena or you will get left in the dust. Stop crying and blaming others. Stop being outraged over every single got daymed thing the devs do. Most of you had the same opportunities and could have easily farmed for revan and would be sitting pretty right now in arena. I'm happy that a lot of you chuckleheads didnt farm Revan and are crying right now because I did what I was supposed to and am in top 50 everyday whereas the past 3 years I was struggling to crack the top 200. So thank you CG for how you handled JKR I think you pleases the Wales in the beginning and pleased FTP near the end of JKR meta cycle. Good for the game.
  • Options
    Revans not the problem the arena set up is. Speed mods are too.
  • Options
    DT_Jango wrote: »
    Look, it's simple. The ones who constantly complain about the meta and <insert OP toon here> are salty because the meta didnt change or stay in THIER favor. You have to consistently evolve and try new things to stay relevant in arena or you will get left in the dust. Stop crying and blaming others. Stop being outraged over every single got daymed thing the devs do. Most of you had the same opportunities and could have easily farmed for revan and would be sitting pretty right now in arena. I'm happy that a lot of you chuckleheads didnt farm Revan and are crying right now because I did what I was supposed to and am in top 50 everyday whereas the past 3 years I was struggling to crack the top 200. So thank you CG for how you handled JKR I think you pleases the Wales in the beginning and pleased FTP near the end of JKR meta cycle. Good for the game.

So like you they only think of themselves, hmm how odd of them lol
  • Options
    CG has done quite a few selfless acts for the fans that they didnt need to do, but ye of little faith bite the hands that feed you every chance you get once something goes wrong.
  • Options
    CG has done quite a few selfless acts for the fans that they didnt need to do, but ye of little faith bite the hands that feed you every chance you get once something goes wrong.

I wasnt talking about cg smh , i was talking about the complainers from the begining of your complaint post lol

And CG has done selfless acts lmao , wow ok
  • Options

And ye of the cg apologists , defend everything they do , even calling some of their actions selfless lol
  • Options
    Revan squad is not the best in offense.
    The problem is the first jedi to die gets revived and then jolee revived everyone.

Revan squad is closer to nightsister squad with their revive garbage.

If revan squad was a fair 5 vs 5 fight with no revive, they would be annilited by CLS squad which are the really best offensive squads
  • Options
    Revan squad is not the best in offense.
    The problem is the first jedi to die gets revived and then jolee revived everyone.

Revan squad is closer to nightsister squad with their revive garbage.

If revan squad was a fair 5 vs 5 fight with no revive, they would be annilited by CLS squad which are the really best offensive squads

But because they do have revive, Revan is the best offensive squad?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    The way cg handles power creep is not good for the longevity of the game...but then ea only has the license until 2023 anyway.

Only until 2023, haha.
    f this freemium game remains profitable from 2015 to 2023 i'd say it had an awesome run.

Sure, but people talk like this is a "real" game. That's a great run for a phone game. If this was a mmorpg that wouldn't be considered an "awesome run".

I don't know man, i think 8 years is a good run for pretty much any recently released game except for maybe mmorpg's (i'm not that familiar with those type of games).
    Just ask yourself, what game is being played for atleast 8 years and isn't considered a smashing success? I can't name any.
    regardless, the whole longevity/powercreep argument has been brought up many times before, yet here we are, still playing.

There are so many games that could be listed to not even make it worth compiling a list...

Power creep is a necessary part of the business model here. I'm not sure what your point is?
    That's exactly my point, but with your earlier statement you seemed to imply that it's somehow bad for the longevity of the game.
    Anyway, it seems to me that ea/cg is doing just fine managing the powercreep since we're here, three and a half year after the game's initial release. There probably hasn't been a single month in which no one complained about the powercreep in those 3.5 years though..

Unrestricted power creep over the long run is always bad for games. I dont think its necessary to explain why in to much depth? Simply, it gets ridiculously stupid after awhile and shortens the life span of previous content. But of course, that takes time to get to that point. When we are talking about a little phone game with a limited lifespan it isnt as important.

I definitely disagree that cg is managing the power creep well. If they did manage it well they would lose money. That is the business model...but again, we all understand that right?

You mentioned you aren't familiar with mmorpgs, and then I feel like I'm having to explain the basics behind power creep. Seems a bit strange in this day and age to find someone who hasn't played mmos and hasn't experienced the negative effects of power creep over the long run of a game.

It's just that everytime someone mentions longevity of the game and powercreep, i can't help but wonder if they're completely oblivious to the benefits of powercreep. 9/10 times they also mention mmorpgs like that explains it all.
    We're playing a freemium mobile game that wouldn't even exist without powercreep and sure as heck wouldn't be as fun to play.
    powercreep may very well eventually lead to the death of this game, but till then we all reap the benefits (not just ea/cg's wallet). Heck, when i eventually quit playing it's probably because i grew tired of always trying to keep up, but i also realize that keeping up and having something to strive for has kept me interrested this long.
    ps. i think it's safe to assume that the overwhelming majority of people on earth have never played a mmorpg, haha.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I don't know that anyone is saying that power creep shouldn't exist. Yes, it is a necessary thing for games like this to exist and stay successful. The question is the method and extent. Revan was built with a dissertation's worth of ability descriptions with caveats meant to make all other leaders and squads irrelevant/impotent. A power "creep" should include marginal increases that make each new character more attractive than those before, but teams are being made basically obsolete, which is why he's bad for the game. People should want a character for a competitive advantage, not be forced to have that character to reasonably compete at all.
  • Options
    A lot of people never played Kotor games or followed OR lore and have no connection to these characters. I for one have little interest in them regardless of the meta. But if I complete my farming of all other characters that I actually like, I would certainly farm up OR just for the sake of having them. Overall, for people like me it doesn't really add or detract from the game at all as long as some other factions have their day in the spotlight and some margin of viability in various game modes. We will always have the next meta such as GG to look forward to, so the real question is whether power creep is good for the game in the long run and that answer is probably no. Skill descriptions are starting to become a TLDR mess and it gets harder and harder to implement new metas.
  • Options
    I think Revan was bad for the players, because of what his release said about CG's plan for the game. More accurately what his release reiterated loudly.

In both ships and squad arena (and, as an extension, raids, TW, TB and GA) there has been an ever-increasing shift toward "need to have" characters and ships. Revan is just the latest installment. If you want to help your guild (and yourself) be competitive in raids, arena, GA, TW, etc., you need Revan. In ships, to stay competitive you now need Falcon and/or HT. The meta for both characters and ships no longer "shifts" - it "jumps" drastically.

Now, I understand the need for CG to make money by creating "desirable" characters. But back when GMY was originally released, he wasn't THE meta - but he was still highly sought after. My concern with the release of Revan is that CG has become more aggressive (especially in the last 18 months) in "defining" the meta, rather than just "shifting" it. Revan's release only confirms (very strongly) that this is CG's model for the foreseeable future. IMHO, a model that pigeonholes players into specific character/ship acquisition choices - by not really giving them a "choice" at all, is not good for the long-term enjoyment of the players.

The game is devolving into "save resources, then spend them on whatever CG decides is the next meta." Traya, Revan, Hound's Tooth, MFalcon. My fear is that there actually won't be any really meaningful "decisions" about farming, gearing, etc. - it will simply be "I have to farm/mod/gear A, B and C, because they are needed to get character X - who will apparently be meta for the next 3 months". Then repeat. That's not playing a game - that's being played by it.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    JKR was an answer to traya. Traya's lead was the real game buster.

Ps. Not anyone can take first. It's still the usual suspect on top of my shard, and i rarely see any of the new revans even breaking into the top 20.
  • Options
    I find it funny how these same threads appear during every meta defining toon. I’m just remembering all the “traya is OP”, “traya is ruining the game”, “my shard top 50 is all Traya”, “wall of trayas”, “was Traya good for the game?” threads. Revan is not unbeatable and this is proven by people using the cls, chewie/han, 3po squads. Yes top 50 is all revan, and 8 months ago top 50 was all Traya too. That’s just what happens with metas, this isn’t new. If you don’t like how long the mirror battles are just throw chewie in place of kenobi and if you don’t like all revans in arena then just wait for the next meta toon which should be soon.

TL;dr this isn’t new, find other squads to beat revan (spoiler: they exist) or wait for a few weeks more till the new meta toon is released. This is the circle of life.

Except as I remember it, Traya didn't shift everyone back.... what I mean to say is after this last Revan event, there are lots more Revans. What's slightly game-breaking is that now teams that were in the top 100 in Arena that DON'T have Revan (and I mean CLS teams with Chewbacca even, OTHER REVAN teams that arent' G12, etc.) have fallen to top 1000! I was placing around 350 on the regular, now I wind up around 650. All Revans that moved ahead. There are Revan teams placing even lower than me just because of modding. To me, that's kind of game breaking, and frankly, I'm sick of seeing Revan. Seriously sick of it. This has gone from SW: Galaxy of Heroes, to SW: Galaxy of Revan, Get Him or Perish. I don't like a stupid game telling me who I have to have just to play even the least bit competitively. There are so many awesome characters in this game I'd like to have fun playing with, but because of "walls of Revan," I am forced to choose appropriate counters, and can't have fun playing with other teams I've spent a lot of time and resources to build. This is no longer a choose-your-own-adventure, it's play-our-way-or-die. The ONLY upside is I now care so little about advancing in Arena, I've gone ahead and started working on more teams I've been neglecting, because trying to be competitive at this point is simply a joke if you haven't put years into the game already. Players that haven't been around that long that didn't bite at the Revan carrot are simply left in the background. But I guess CG doesn't care about the bulk of its base, it just wants to create an "end game" character, in the sense the character is game-ending, and take the money generated from the chase before running with it. When Revan first game out, I thought he was a joke. Then I saw the whales using him to their advantage, now it's simply run away with the game. If it hadn't been going on for so long, I wouldn't care as much, but watching this Revan meta continue for the better part of a YEAR is f-ing ridiculous. I have resolved to never spend another penny on this game (and haven't since Revan came out), and no longer really care about it, it's a time waster, and I'm going to go back and work on teams I want to play with just because. If there's isn't a new meta toon in the next few months, I may walk from the game entirely. It's just become pointless, unless the point is to get Revan, and they really need to change the name of the game and its description in the app store if that's the case. .
  • Options
    Revan has an Achilles heal. It relies on buffs. CG will release Grievous’s droid army. They will potentially just be a strong counter to Revan & NS.

• Options
    Revan was great for the Lore and STR... and Revanue for CG :wink: .

He was also terrible for almost every other aspect of the game, The JTR panic farm was bad thennn enter Revan we had almost a two weeks to farm the toons after they had gotten released ( something we should plan to see with the new OR characters). For GA, TW, and arena it is terrible to have a team that almost has very very few to no counters. even R v R is a coin flip...

Even worse the Future of the game. With how complicated his Kit is the only way to release counters is to introduce even more and more over complicated kits and strong characters.
  • Options
    Revan was a game changer in my spending habits. I used to buy gear with crystals but now it's just save save save. Farm required toons/ships. Save save save for next time.

Keep your reserves at 50K crystals and you should be fine
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Revan was indeed good for their pockets.
    Post edited by Drazhar on
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Revan's design paradigm spells a bad trajectory for the game. As long as this is not the way we are going with all the new steps, I think that's fine too.

People lose all nuance while talking about power creep. The problem is not whether there's power creep or not, but the degree of it. Revan is the sort of power creep that further accelarates the next power creep steps.
  • Options
    Revan has an Achilles heal. It relies on buffs. CG will release Grievous’s droid army. They will potentially just be a strong counter to Revan & NS.

Just hope grevious was not a counter to all team like revan ...