Was Revan good for the game?

Replies

• Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

The game is devolving into "save resources, then spend them on whatever CG decides is the next meta." Traya, Revan, Hound's Tooth, MFalcon. My fear is that there actually won't be any really meaningful "decisions" about farming, gearing, etc. - it will simply be "I have to farm/mod/gear A, B and C, because they are needed to get character X - who will apparently be meta for the next 3 months". Then repeat. That's not playing a game - that's being played by it.

Totally agree with this sadly..
    Farming wampa and hoda was fun because it felt like a choice. You didn’t have to have them, but it was fun and worthwhile to choose to farm them. Maybe they’ll mix it up with the new release methods they mentioned in the road ahead. Farming vets then OR has really felt like a chore, you don’t wanna do it but you know you have to to stay relevant in game. It’s meant I’ve put off farming stuff I actually want (like FoX) for ages.
  • Options
    I just don't like his LEGO-kit. It's just boring and uninspired to put little LEGO-pieces together to counter every other mechanic that could be a problem for the new shiny thing (f.e. the savior ability as a direct counter to a possible 1-hit KO on GMY from Zolo).
    They did a good job on B1 though and I'm curious what Droideka and Grievous will offer.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • makoamagana
    122 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Gorem wrote: »
    Revan has ruined the meta and single handidly ruined other characters because they were nerfed to compensate, if you come up with a Revan counter, it was nerfed. Revan has extra clauses in his leader to counter literally every meta at the time. His Leader that stops tm gain literally only effects two other characters, Bast and Maul, Maul that used to be a counter before the Nest nerf, and Bast which would have worked against him if not for all the clauses against her.

He was designed for one reason, Revenue, they didn't care it would ruin the game for many people. They didn't care that it would make matches time out or that mirror matches would be cancer.

And stop with the terrible I can't think of anything so here's this excuse "Oh this again, oh its happened before, of one of these threads" ect. it doesn't make you look smart.

The fact is the arena meta pre-Revan was perfect. Traya beat Bast. Palp beat Traya. Bast Beat Palp. It was a perfect Paper scissors rock meta.

Just like ships too before Falcon ruined ship arena. They have forced these meta's onto us because they want to control what everyone uses. Notice how we all have to play the game longer now? Interesting, hey.

What your not realizing is this was the case only AFTER bastila and co were released. For a long time top 50 was all Traya! Then bastila came along and shook things up. The revan meta is no different then Traya meta last year. CG will release grevious which sounds like he will be the equivalent of bastila and co being introduced into Traya meta last year.

Also it’s not about looking smart it’s about looking at what the pattern has been for a long time. Anyone with half a brain who’s played this game long enough knows this is the circle of life. It’s not hard to figure out.

So stop with the “people are making statements about the history of the game thus far, it doesn’t make you look smart” comments. It just makes you sound like a 5yr old.

Now if you want to argue that CG releasing toons like Traya and Revan who completely dominate the arena for a time is no good then that is a different story. However history doesn’t lie and history shows this has been the pattern for a long time.
  • Options
    Olddumper wrote: »
    The Revan Bindo combo allows anybody to take first.

Tell that to the 100+ guys on my arena shard who have him and don't sniff the top 10 ;)

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    The Revan Bindo combo allows anybody to take first.

Tell that to the 100+ guys on my arena shard who have him and don't sniff the top 10 ;)

This. If anything, it makes top-tier mods even more of a necessity, because otherwise you just time out.
  • Options
    Jenjhys wrote: »
    Revan has an Achilles heal. It relies on buffs. CG will release Grievous’s droid army. They will potentially just be a strong counter to Revan & NS.

Just hope grevious was not a counter to all team like revan ...

I think Grievous will take down Revan with zero power creep. Revan team relies too heavily on buffs and turn meter gain. Grievous team removes that strength but not every faction relies on buffs.

Prediction: Sith will be able to beat Grievous team.
    Someone will find a multi hit team that shreds through B1’s 100 stack of droid battalion.

I think the interesting thing is Droideka. I imagine it will be a repeat of B1 and have it’s own unique kit reminiscent of Nest though.
  • Options
    Revan has an Achilles heal. It relies on buffs. CG will release Grievous’s droid army. They will potentially just be a strong counter to Revan & NS.

I think Grievous will take down Revan with zero power creep. Revan team relies too heavily on buffs and turn meter gain. Grievous team removes that strength but not every faction relies on buffs.

Someone will find a multi hit team that shreds through B1’s 100 stack of droid battalion.

I think the interesting thing is Droideka. I imagine it will be a repeat of B1 and have it’s own unique kit reminiscent of Nest though.

Ventress seems made for the job of taking down B1s. Darth Maul also with his primary. Sep vs Sep with Maul
  • Options
    Traya was the mistake. Revan is the fix.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Unless they have similar survivability to Revan, CLS will probably be able to beat them. Which is a good thing, since CLS is pretty easy to beat with other high-end teams, so it might restore some diversity in arena.
  • Options
    Before Revan, the top 50 was NOT all Traya lead.. you had Palp lead, CLS lead, NS... Now its pretty much only Revans in the top 200 - hell, I put a 37k Jawa team and dropped to 550, and even there 2 out of 3 teams are Revan
    The Rock-Paper-Scissors principe for sure doesnt apply any longer
  • Options
    It’s not Revan in my opinion. It’s Jolee. I hate that toon!!!
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Awesomite wrote: »

It's the combination of both, Jolee wouldn't be that bad without Savior and the prot regen from Revan lead on top of his heal from basic.
  • Options
    Let’s hear it. The Revan Bindo combo allows anybody to take first. Was more variety and stronger defensive comps better for the game or is the Revan only all offense meta better.

I can't see how it's good for the game. Huge leaps in power creep like this aren't sustainable, and make me question why I'm bothering with the other toons/teams in the first place. If other players feel the same way, that can't be good.
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »

It's the combination of both, Jolee wouldn't be that bad without Savior and the prot regen from Revan lead on top of his heal from basic.

I've never seen Jolee be the toon that people trigger savior with. His ability to mass revive, and with a very short cooldown thanks to his basic and how assist heavy that team is, is where I feel the real problem lies.

Revan teams without a zeta Jolee aren't any more formidable than any other arena team. Heck I'd rather face a zJolee-less Revan team than a Talzin-led NS team.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    Everything is bad for the game if you ask the online community, and yet they keep playing. You can please the general public, so why would CG even bother? The per creep and complex kits are what keep the paying customers paying. So yes, in s very literal sense, Regan was good for the game. No paying customers, no game. (Enter whiny f2p arguments about how the whales would have no one to lord over without them...blah blah blah)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I've never seen Jolee be the toon that people trigger savior with. His ability to mass revive, and with a very short cooldown thanks to his basic and how assist heavy that team is, is where I feel the real problem lies.

Revan teams without a zeta Jolee aren't any more formidable than any other arena team. Heck I'd rather face a zJolee-less Revan team than a Talzin-led NS team.

You seem to love revives xD
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

What's dead should stay dead. At least Jolee is a known factor. Talzin lead and the assist-revive fest is a real PITA. You already have Daka and Zombie and MT all able to revive (or self revive) with abilities. Then you add in the dead attacking and reviving if a killing shot is landed. It's almost impossible to keep them down without Nihilus. I avoid them like the plague (no pun intended).
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

What's dead should stay dead. At least Jolee is a known factor. Talzin lead and the assist-revive fest is a real PITA. You already have Daka and Zombie and MT all able to revive (or self revive) with abilities. Then you add in the dead attacking and reviving if a killing shot is landed. It's almost impossible to keep them down without Nihilus. I avoid them like the plague (no pun intended).

Zombi and nest are by far my least favourite toons to fight against. I'm glad they're no longer meta so i can freely complain about them without being called a noob ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

Zombi and nest are by far my least favourite toons to fight against. I'm glad they're no longer meta so i can freely complain about them without being called a noob ;)

Zombie is acceptable because at least her kit makes sense. A character who gets stronger by getting hit repeatedly is just poor design - both from a realism standpoint and game play enjoyment.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Revan is fine, meta chasing whiners are not.
  • Options
    Revan is as good for the game as any of the terrible power creep kits have, or will be.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Zombie is acceptable because at least her kit makes sense. A character who gets stronger by getting hit repeatedly is just poor design - both from a realism standpoint and game play enjoyment.
    Hey - this is a Revan bashing thread. Leave Nest out of it. :D
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Revan is as good for the game as any of the terrible power creep kits have, or will be.

The funny thing about Revan is that after they released CLS, there was later an admission that CLS was too powerful and they would not release a character that was that dominant again. And yet, here we are.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I find it funny how these same threads appear during every meta defining toon. I’m just remembering all the “traya is OP”, “traya is ruining the game”, “my shard top 50 is all Traya”, “wall of trayas”, “was Traya good for the game?” threads. Revan is not unbeatable and this is proven by people using the cls, chewie/han, 3po squads. Yes top 50 is all revan, and 8 months ago top 50 was all Traya too. That’s just what happens with metas, this isn’t new. If you don’t like how long the mirror battles are just throw chewie in place of kenobi and if you don’t like all revans in arena then just wait for the next meta toon which should be soon.

TL;dr this isn’t new, find other squads to beat revan (spoiler: they exist) or wait for a few weeks more till the new meta toon is released. This is the circle of life.

I got revan first round and still think he is bad for the game. Sure, there’s counters but he has an overwhelming advantage for a p2p toon.
  • Options
    I would say Revan was great for this game. Traya was at the top with CLS sprinkled in. Then, Revan hit and he took over with a few Traya and CLS sprinkled in. Now, the FTP got Revan so GG will be reworked and will counter Revan hard. But, Traya will most likely counter GG hard. So, back to Rock, Paper, Scissors....
  • Options
    I don't know but I have seen a lot more people quit this game in the last few months, more then who quit the game after cls. Look at your friends list, it can be pretty telling.
  • Options
    Revan was not good for the game. At all.

I never played KOTOR. I have no idea who this guy is or why the kitten he switchs sides back and force like a fence sitter but frankly the story arc viewed as a series of events rather than a narrative seems quite lame.

I think these KOTOR characters are the only ones i have never been exposed to in the slighest. Baseing all this content around esoteric "star wars" material that was never widely known was not a good idea.

The fact that the sith raid which has been the highest end content and now the new revan/jedi paywall are all centred on these unknowns instead of stuff like the OT, the prequels or the new spinoff movies and the really blatent overpowered nature of the raid/revan have been a HUGE turnoff. Revan destroys in the arena and the sith raid renders most older characters abilitys null and void (even if your whole squad is at g12)...

Which dev focus group thought that the road to increasing player interest was boring as kitten raid mechanics which turn raiding into a chore? or releasing a bunch of toons nobody has heard of instead of padme,hux,snoke etc or even the much hated jarjar binks?

Those people need to be force choked.

A LOT is hingeing on this GG rework and they are already making some of the droid stuff "seperatist only" instead of "all droids" in another shortsighted cashgrab...

More people are going to switch off and play something else which is a shame.
  • Options
    I dont think Revan himself hurt the game. I think all the nerfs they have done to protect Revan and the STR are what's killing this game tbh.

This a great point IMO revan was kind of a lemon. Only combined with bindo is he an issue and he still doesn’t hold. But they messed with so many toons ex post facto that it smothered new content.
  • Options
    I think they need to get back to what swgoh was, and put somebody with an actual credentials in charge. This game was based on reasource management and forecasting kits. Now it has morphed into “farm every toon”, gear and content progression has stopped, and the dev team is focused on temporary buffs

I don’t think Revan was bad for the game. I think he was a symptom of a game that has lost what made it successful.