Drop rate...

PeterBahama
337 posts Member
edited March 2019
Earlier this week when ebon Hawk became farmable with the bonus drops, I told myself that I wasn't going to bother trying to get it. Since it requires 5 stars to get the final reinforcement upgrade, I thought it would be pointless to try.

After doing my regular fleet battles for the day, I noticed a ridiculously high drop rate for ebon Hawk shards. I was getting over 70%, if only I knew his was just a bait... After wasting a couple days without doing refreshes, looking at these drop rates I decided to start refreshing and go for the 5 star Hawk. The drop rate remained high for like another day but then it plummeted!

The last 2 days of the event the drop rates were somewhere around 30-35% and I was many shards short of the 5 stars that I was aiming for. I felt like I was taken advantage of, I wasted over 1000 crystals in refreshes anticipating the same drop rates as the first few days of the event but I as the event progressed I was nowhere near the initial drops.

This is, no doubt, a calculated and intended attempt to bait players into refreshing, only to find themselves short a few shards. Some will simply give up and end up with only a 4 star Hawk, pretty much useless since you can't get the dispel, and others will realize it's within reach and maybe end up spending 30-50 bucks to get it.

Anyways, that's my theory and honestly if your honest with yourselves you'll admit that you have noticed the same thing too.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Did you buy the ship energy pack? That might cloud your perception for the first day.

I got 5* by refreshing through 2 of the 200 crystal refreshes. Was probably too much. Could have done less and still gotten it.
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Nope. It is an intentionally higher drop rate depending on the how much energy is spent on a node. Same as Palpatine's shuttle.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/194697/galactic-chase-emperor-s-shuttle
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Are you sure you were farming the same node?
    The drop rates were scaled according to energy use. 20 energy nodes have 80% drop rate. 10 energy nodes have 40. And so on.

Considering that statistically you need a longer time and more than 5 days-worth of attempts to even out the odds, there was a somewhat better chance to have an over 80% average on 20 energy nodes than to achieve the 34% (or something like that) on 8 energy nodes.

Anyway, I see no chance for you having 30% drop rate on 20 energy nodes for two days. The problem might lie in the type of nodes you were farming.
    If you did the 100 refreshes, and bought the ship pack, while farming 20 energy nodes there was little to no chance not to come very close to 5*. If you have spent anything less (1000 crystals for 5 days would indicate only two refreshes, if you ment 1000 crystals for the event, not just the last two days) there was no chance to get a 5* Hawk from the beginning.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    I followed the exact same strategy for both ships. 3 100 refreshes right before the event started. 3 100 refreshes each day. 1 ship energy pack.

I got 16/85 on palp. 19/85 on ebon.

Seems pretty reliable to me
  • Salatious_Scrum
    2324 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    RNG giveth, RNG taketh
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, I observed that my drop rate was slightly lower for the EHawk than it was for EP’s shuttle. But I didn’t notice anything that would make me believe anything insidious was afoot. But considering the nature of normal statistical distributions, and how many people play this game, there’s sure to be some that have some really ... ummm... poor farming experiences. Likewise, there will be those that have exceptional drops. That doesn’t mean that drop rates are being manipulated. Just that there is a variance in individual farming experiences. And that is by design. The “good” farms make for good advertising, promoting the idea that “you, too, can win the lottery”. And the less than ideal farms trigger impulsive investment in order to generate revenue. I can’t say I agree with the tactics, but it is effective.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nope. It is an intentionally higher drop rate depending on the how much energy is spent on a node. Same as Palpatine's shuttle.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/194697/galactic-chase-emperor-s-shuttle

This.

Unless you are saying you farmed the same energy cost node and saw these different results, you are comparing apples to oranges.

• Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    Options
    During the five day event I only did my daily allotment of 8 attempts on a 20-energy node, per day. I have 31 shards for 40 attempts. That's awfully close to the quoted 80% drop rate (77.5% actually).
  • Options
    I only added 200 crystals refresh on last w days and was able to hit 5* easily. Even at the 80% rate you need to realize you can have bad luck at anytime.