5 year plan? Methinks not

2Next

Replies

• Options
    It’s obvious that their 5 year plan is based on the remaining time that EA has on their Star Wars gaming contract with Disney. Whether they receive further contracts after that remains to be seen considering the mass dissatisfaction the gaming community has had with EA concerning Star Wars games.
  • Options
    There is a ton of untouched potential for the game. Ship raids, new character raids, ground vehicles, 4v4 GA, new TB. For making money they could introduce G13, new mod sets, "support droids" for ships, unique craftable gear peices (modified hans blaster - adds XXX). They just need to bring more non-character content to the game. I'd like a sandbox mode or practice arena. No rewards, but not limited by attempts or energy. Solo "raids" or small group raids could be fun. The game has a lot of life left if handled properly i.e more content doesnt mean more characters.
  • Options
    I’m not worried about content as much as I am licensing. EA has a lot riding on a Star Wars Jedi: The Fallen Order which will come out this fall. They hired a writer from KOTOR 2 and need to manage the development of said game better than Battlefront 2. If it’s another massive disappointment, IMO ties may be severed.
  • Options
    I think they’re just getting the KOTOR toons out of the way because this is the longest lag time they probably ever have in between movies.

A lot of legendary characters/regular characters incoming I’m sure. Anyone who has watched rebels/clone wars knows that.

Even so...Dark Side Anakin is still a future heroic I’m sure. Kylo may be a sith or general in next movie. Jedi Luke, Raspy Leia...so much more they can do. The new Disney streaming app will have several shows, new movie soon, new trilogies. This game serves Disney well in a promotional standpoint regardless...not to mention its profitable.

What the game needs is another raid to challenge us aka heroic raids. Getting Traya was bittersweet for me because there is little challenges driving me right now besides pvp. A mythic raid can fix this.

Also why even invest in an QOL update if CG believes the game is nearing an end phase? Makes no sense.
  • Options
    Given how OP JKR teams are, from a gameplay standpoint I can’t see how they’ll make interesting competitive teams even if there was enough content to be released.

I’d love to be wrong.

As for content I think they will start to struggle in the next year or two. For huge character releases, I think we have this revan and Jedi luke left, and paywalling Jedi luke will be impossible as we already have the related characters. Nothing else other than those two will bring people to spend like they have been. Personally I hope this game becomes galaxy of reworks but I can see that that might not be profitable enough

We havent even touched a lot of the prequels...or ROTJ or Episode 9

Still lots to do for TFA and TLJ. New TV series and movie coming aboard and return of CW.
  • Options
    We’ve been told a 5 year plan exists but...that doesn’t make sense to me.
    Swgoh came out November 24th 2015. So just over 3 years into a game we’re told - out of nowhere - by CG they have a 5 year plan? At the current rate they spit out new characters they’ll be dry on new content in under 2.
    Obviously: having a 5 year plan is a basic as a business model but...why say it? Especially since several future characters haven’t been invented yet.
    Do you know when I would tell my clientele something reassuring: when they have reason to think my business is going under. Since their clientele weren’t running around thinking their business is going under...I wonder if they don’t/didn’t think it.
    Conspiracy theorist “proof” number 2: Revan. Revan Revan Revan. And some more Revans. Arenas full of them, everywhere you look. This over-complicated faction was created on purpose, and allowed to fester on purpose. Pre-Revan Arena was fun: top 30 consisted of 6+ teams. There was no problem with over-powerful teams. They CREATED this problem on purpose. They created it so we would come to them for a solution, and pay anything to make it end. I grant them it’s brilliant on a money-making level. Yet it’s also characteristic of a game ready to throw in the towel: milk as much money as you can just before collapse.

Can they keep this game going for many years? Absolutely! Will they? That’s something I’m not comfortable saying yes to.

You are joking right?

Read the books and come tell me they dont have enough content for 20 years plus...
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Darth wrote: »
    This is Star Wars.....A huge universe....a lot more characters in it than just the movies....there’s prolly a couple more hundred characters they could put in the fame! Not counting the new characters we’ll see in future movies, games, etc

And yet, apart from HMF, CG has managed to turn it into SWGOKOTOR for the past 6+ months.

I agree with the OP.

Remember when everyone was complaining about "galaxy of rebels"? The game ebbs and flows, and there isn't much more to add from KOTOR anyway.

Well, thank God for that at least.

(a little aecret: I played KOTOR. I didn't like it enough to even finish it.)

There are plenty more KOTOR toons they could release, like Calo.

Lol, ironically he was one of the characters I did like.

Just saying, there are more to release. At the very least we will get Malak at some point to round out the Darth Revan team.

The Kotor toons are at least viable for the most part in other areas of the game. Unlike young Lando :D

Not sure why people hate on any toons released, or any "period" of SW they take time to focus on. All of this blah blah the movies only matter nonsense makes me laugh.

KOTOR was a video game from 16 years ago. Calling it a "period" of SW is a bit of stretch.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Given how OP JKR teams are, from a gameplay standpoint I can’t see how they’ll make interesting competitive teams even if there was enough content to be released.

I’d love to be wrong.

As for content I think they will start to struggle in the next year or two. For huge character releases, I think we have this revan and Jedi luke left, and paywalling Jedi luke will be impossible as we already have the related characters. Nothing else other than those two will bring people to spend like they have been. Personally I hope this game becomes galaxy of reworks but I can bsee that that might not be profitable enough

-Jedi Rey

-Dark Side Anakin(there is a huge demand for a ROTS Fallen Anakin and plenty of prequel toons not released yet to monetize this.

-A new Kylo—-I have a feeling Kylo will get a villains jorney with new movie. He will be either a sith or general of some sort. There is a reason Hux and Snoke haven’t been released.

-Death Star

-Janna the Hut

-Jedi Master Luke

-Robot Legs Maul(Thrawn is a legend so why not him?)

-Malak

That’s 3 years worth of legends/heroes right there and I’m sure I’m missing a few. Not to mention the factions in the cartoons and the characters in prequels that haven’t been touched.

Oh and the several new series that have been green lit and future trilogies/movies.
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    Darth wrote: »
    This is Star Wars.....A huge universe....a lot more characters in it than just the movies....there’s prolly a couple more hundred characters they could put in the fame! Not counting the new characters we’ll see in future movies, games, etc

And yet, apart from HMF, CG has managed to turn it into SWGOKOTOR for the past 6+ months.

I agree with the OP.

Remember when everyone was complaining about "galaxy of rebels"? The game ebbs and flows, and there isn't much more to add from KOTOR anyway.

Well, thank God for that at least.

(a little aecret: I played KOTOR. I didn't like it enough to even finish it.)

There are plenty more KOTOR toons they could release, like Calo.

Lol, ironically he was one of the characters I did like.

Just saying, there are more to release. At the very least we will get Malak at some point to round out the Darth Revan team.

The Kotor toons are at least viable for the most part in other areas of the game. Unlike young Lando :D

Not sure why people hate on any toons released, or any "period" of SW they take time to focus on. All of this blah blah the movies only matter nonsense makes me laugh.

KOTOR was a video game from 16 years ago. Calling it a "period" of SW is a bit of stretch.

Three games. One of which is current and producing ongoing content. Also a few novels, and some comic books. The Old Republic is one of the more fleshed out time periods in Star Wars.
    Cyprus wrote: »
    We’ve been told a 5 year plan exists but...that doesn’t make sense to me.
    Swgoh came out November 24th 2015. So just over 3 years into a game we’re told - out of nowhere - by CG they have a 5 year plan? At the current rate they spit out new characters they’ll be dry on new content in under 2.
    Obviously: having a 5 year plan is a basic as a business model but...why say it? Especially since several future characters haven’t been invented yet.
    Do you know when I would tell my clientele something reassuring: when they have reason to think my business is going under. Since their clientele weren’t running around thinking their business is going under...I wonder if they don’t/didn’t think it.
    Conspiracy theorist “proof” number 2: Revan. Revan Revan Revan. And some more Revans. Arenas full of them, everywhere you look. This over-complicated faction was created on purpose, and allowed to fester on purpose. Pre-Revan Arena was fun: top 30 consisted of 6+ teams. There was no problem with over-powerful teams. They CREATED this problem on purpose. They created it so we would come to them for a solution, and pay anything to make it end. I grant them it’s brilliant on a money-making level. Yet it’s also characteristic of a game ready to throw in the towel: milk as much money as you can just before collapse.

Can they keep this game going for many years? Absolutely! Will they? That’s something I’m not comfortable saying yes to.

You are joking right?

Read the books and come tell me they dont have enough content for 20 years plus...

A lot of the books are blatantly inconsistent with the new canon. Lots of characters Disney will likely never allow, and lots more they won't allow until they've first been reintroduced (as Thrawn was.)
  • Options
    5 year plan goes like this...

Encourage new spenders.

Darth Revan cost nothing to those that planned ahead and hoarded.

But to those that never do he's very obtainable if you become a dolphin.

the ftp militants will go to the dark side...and the older guys that hoard can speculate if Rian Johnson is advising for EA.
  • Options
    I don't know how much Old Republic content hasn't been implemented yet, but here are a few canon characters and ships that are still missing (at least in playable form):

Prequels:
    - Padme (maybe several iterations, but at least the blaster-wielding Padme on Geonosis)
    - Anakin (Fallen)
    - Ki-Adi Mundi, Shaak Ti, Quinlan Vos, Adi Gallia, Deepa Billaba, Saesee Tiin, and other Jedi
    - Capital ships: Grievous' Invisible Hand or Malevolence
    - Ships: Vulture droid, Nu-class attack shuttle

Original Trilogy:
    - Jedi Luke
    - Endor Rebels (Trenchcoat Han, Poncho Leia and the gang)
    - Sand- and Scout Troopers
    - Deathstar Troopers, -Gunners and -Droids
    - Boushh (Leia in bounty hunter disguise)
    - Jabba, Bib, Barada, Pote Snitkin, EV-9D9, maybe even Slave Leia (makes more sense than 3PO)
    - Ships: Y-Wings, A-Wings and B-Wings
    - Ships: TIE Bombers and Interceptors
    - Pilots: Porkins, Nien Nunb

Sequels:
    - Veterans Luke, Leia and Ackbar
    - Maz Kanata
    - General Hux
    - Snoke and/or his royal guard
    - Capital ships: Snoke's Supremacy, the Raddus
    - Ships: MG-100 Bomber
    - Pilots: Jessica Pava, Temmin Wexley, Oddy Muva and others

Other movies (Rogue One, Solo):
    - Saw Gerrera and his guerillas
    - Tobias Beckett, Val, Rio
    - Dryden Vos and his Hylobon Enforcers
    - Pilots: Admiral Raddus, General Antoc Merrick (Blue Leader) and others

Cartoons (Clone Wars 2D, Clone Wars 3D, Rebels):
    - General Anakin Skywalker
    - Even Piell, K'kruhk, Roron Corobb, and various other Jedi
    - Sugi, Bulduga, Onca, Derrown, and a dozen other bounty hunters
    - Hondo Ohnaka and his Weequay pirates, old Hondo from Rebels
    - Tactical and Commando droids
    - Spider legs Maul, cyborg legs Maul, old Maul from Rebels
    - Old Rex and the senior clone gang
    - Pre Viszla and Death Watch with younger Bo-Katan, older Bo-Katan from Rebels
    - Ketsu Onyo, Ursa Wren, Fenn Rau, and other Mandalorians
    - Ships: Z-95 Starfighter, V-19 Torrent

Even if there were no new Star Wars content in the works, I don't think there'd be any danger of CG running out of material anytime soon.
  • Options
    Ok. So there's tons of new characters that they can bring into the game. Cool. But unless they find new and interesting reasons to farm them (or in fact buy them), then I'm inclined to agree with the OP. Arena is dead, and I'm not sure how they could possibly bring it back. A new meta has to beat the way too OP revan. And then they'd have to beat that... and so forth. The bar has been set way too high, there isn't room for multiple options anymore in arena, nor could there really ever be. Power creep is now power leap. So without arena driving sales... what do they have? And to be honest it kinda feels like they're grabbing short term cash here. Just an opinion, and I've been wrong about this before
  • Options
    Isn't the Anakin we have now basically the Clone Wars Anakin?

They should totally give us a Spider Legs Maul as a Legendary who is then a necessary part of a Villain's Journey to unlock Goat Legs Maul.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    I know this turned into a kotor discussion but if this game makes 5 years its the shut down date and right now its definitely on a decline milking what they can

It's the 5th top grossing game in the Google Play Store. I happened to notice this yesterday when I updated the client on my phone. I'd say it's doing exceptionally well for a game this old when it's still in the top 5 of Google's best-selling games in terms of ingame transactions.

Easy to be top grossing when you have the most expensive micro transactions in mobile gaming.
  • Roon
    35 posts Member
    Options
    I could really get into 3 or 4 versions of "crop top Padme" and "slave girl Leia".
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Even if there were no new Star Wars content in the works, I don't think there'd be any danger of CG running out of material anytime soon.

I agree.... the way they are treating the players they will run out of them way before they run out of toons
  • Options
    There's no way they have any semblence of a logical 5 year plan, they just sat in a room and talked about stuff that could be in the game. I'd be absolutely astonished if they created any sort of literal plan.

They couldn't even plan for an HK rework somehow 1 month out of a droid rework.They planned toons around his "broken" mechanic and yet they decided to just delete that mechanic altogether one month later.
  • ZoeyMara
    57 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sorry but if anyone thinks Revan and Darth Revan are the cream of the crop of that they have no more characters then the obviously know nothing of star wars ,,heres a short list of toons that were stronger or on par with and in by no means the only ones , Darth Bane, Exar kun , Darth Plagueis, Jacen Solo, Nomi Sunrider, Freedon Nadd, Ulic Qel-Droma, Marka Ragnos, Darth Vitiate...honestly you can just type in Star wars legends sith/jedi oh google , you dont have to have read the books like me to see that they literally have hundreds and hundreds of characters they can put in some more powerful than Revan , like seriously you think Revan is the be all to end all? I can put together a 5 year release plan just on legends characters with ease, and thats not counting characters from the prequels, original and the new movies, nor is it counting any of the newer books. To think they dont have enough characters they can use for 5 years is kinda silly most of my favs from the books haven't even been touched yet.
  • Options
    I think part of my point was somewhat lost again.
    I’m not saying they’ll run out of materiel per sea, but that they are running out of good material that can compete against toons with Revan-like abilities, unless they too have very long, convoluted abilities.

There is a balance to be had: as a game grows, you add new abilities, and rework old ones. That is natural and expected. Revan and his paragraphs of abilities is too much and about 3 steps past what was before. What’s worse is Revan & Co team doesn’t even need good mods! I have a g10 1 zeta Revan. He and accompanying Jedi have moderate mods at best. They do 5 million damage in P2 of HSTR. That team is also my 2nd best offense in GA/TW. If half of Revan’s abilities were cut he’d still be good, and on par with other factions in the game.
    Two easy ways to best Revan with new toons moving forward is to out-ability Revan, or circumvent Revan (lose TM when gaining a buff, can’t gain TM out of turn, etc etc). I sincerely hope they go the route of the latter. I fear they’ll choose the former.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Options
    It is absurd to think they won't have the ability to continue to expand modes of gameplay and types of activities to do with the roster. We don't even have a 1v1 sandbox.
  • Options
    Bad news for EA??? Lucasfilm Games is once again beginning to hire for many positions.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    I know this turned into a kotor discussion but if this game makes 5 years its the shut down date and right now its definitely on a decline milking what they can

It's the 5th top grossing game in the Google Play Store. I happened to notice this yesterday when I updated the client on my phone. I'd say it's doing exceptionally well for a game this old when it's still in the top 5 of Google's best-selling games in terms of ingame transactions.

On big releases it goes to #1 often.