My Syndicated Arena

Prev13456713
MultUA
21 posts Member
edited March 2019
Well, I finally reached top5 at my regular arena and I have been contacted a person who was holding the 1st place.

That guy wrote me that I have to stay at the 2nd place as they have a syndicate of old members managed within discord and if I do not agree I would be blacklisted in their chat.

Of course I have rejected and you know what? Yes, they all together are bombing me from the top now)

I talked to my guild mates who hold top positions on their arenas. They have the same issue. Enjoy the 2nd (3rd, 5th) place or you’ll be kicked by the majority.

As a person who waste some reasonable cash for this game, may I have a question addressed strictly to CG/EA stuff - are you going to do something with those arena syndicates?

Replies

• Options
    They aren't going to. Just use timing. Use crystals too. Don't let them bully you. I see the game moving to a point where there will be a lot of options in Arena. Most every team can and will be able to be beaten by another. Shard chats will become less powerful and or needed.
  • Options
    Best bet is to join the discord chat, and either coordinate with those in your payout or change to an unoccupied payout time
  • Options
    I don't know why you told them that you didn't want to join shard chat and work with them. You've brought this on yourself and now arena is gonna be a huge headache and you'll be lucky to get top 10.

And why? Because you really needed those extra 50 crystals every day that first gives you? You should have accepted his gracious invite and enjoyed your undisturbed place at #2.
  • MultUA
    21 posts Member
    Options
    If there is no solution for this garbage, I would prefer to leave the game and stop paying EA)
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It's human nature to want the best for yourself. Each one of those players in your shard chat also wants the best for themselves.

The overall way for the most people to get the most rewards is to coordinate so there are no wasted payouts. The guy currently getting 1st at the same time as you wants his best payout, so he coordinates with the others in the chat to get 1st. They offered you 2nd, so you can get the "best" payout without interfering with the first guy there.

Is it fair? Fair is relative. By rejecting their offer, what you have told the members of the shard chat is that you cannot be trusted not to attack the guy in 1st. Since you will not fit within the structure, you have to be kept outside of "striking distance" so you won't mess up the current system.

Conversely, if you had accepted their offer, you would be in a position to get 450c per day, assistance from the other shard chat members if someone was interfering with your payout time, and if that #1 guy quit (or took a break), you would have been able to move into the top spot.

As it is now, you are going to be targeted over and over.

Just as you had to go through a learning curve with this game - how to earn shards, how to upgrade characters, how to effectively spend crystals to improve your account - you are now having to go through a different learning curve about how to compete at the top levels of the Arena.

Edit - you will see similar situations in any other games you move to. People always try to maximize their own rewards. Some cheat, but others find ways of coordinating like this. It's human nature and you can't escape it by moving to a different game.
  • MultUA
    21 posts Member
    Options
    xGriiMErZ wrote: »
    MultUA wrote: »
    If there is no solution for this garbage, I would prefer to leave the game and stop paying EA)

Most arena chats are thrid party apps EA have no control over that

That true)
    But is there any problem to change the mechanics of the arena overview?)

If you would not be able to see who is your enemy, there would be no syndicate)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

As a person who waste some reasonable cash for this game, may I have a question addressed strictly to CG/EA stuff - are you going to do something with those arena syndicates?
    1. youre not going to get an awnser from ea/cg
    2. they're not going to do something about it
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    That true)
    But is there any problem to change the mechanics of the arena overview?)

If you would not be able to see who is your enemy, there would be no syndicate)

If they obscured the names of your opponents, the shard chats would still function the same. Everyone would know their payout times and names. You'd still have to see the squads so you know what squad you are about to attack, so you could still identify players.
  • MultUA
    21 posts Member
    Options
    Then to avoid any unfair behavior they could arrange a complete “blind” selection where you do not see neither the name nor the squad of your enemy)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Then to avoid any unfair behavior they could arrange a complete “blind” selection where you do not see neither the name nor the squad of your enemy)

That would lead to issues with theory crafting, and adjusting teams to suit your opponent. Some players do change out teams dependent on what team they face. (This is happening less now, but that's a different conversation)

Being a totally blind combat system removes the ability for a player to choose the best scenario, if they know they cant beat X team/player but can beat the team/player 1 space behind them, they can choose that to maximize results.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options

Players wouldn't like that. At the very top level, squads can be designed to take out anything, but the majority of players don't have squads like that. Just imagine a new player happily moving along with their Phoenix team, and all of a sudden one of their random arena matches is a Palpatine nightmare team with Sion and Nihilus. They would have avoided that team if they had seen it, but now they lose. When they select a different rank to try and hit someone else, they get another terrible team. If they can't pick a favorable matchup, they will get angry at the game and will quit.

The Devs won't make a majority of their player base unhappy just to appease a very small number of players unhappy at the top of the squad arena.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Pile wrote: »
    The only real solution to your issue is if they take crystal payouts out of the arena and apply them to a mode like Grand Arena. Only issue there is that the cheater problem will become a much bigger deal.

That would be a huge change and break one of the biggest reasons that arena works. You will no longer only be facing players that started at the same time as you. It could destroy the game, there would be much less of a reason to invest, since that investment wouldnt be passed directly to staying ahead (or with) the opponents you know you will face for your biggest source of income.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Pile wrote: »
    We'll, in most cases if you're not in chat it really doesn't matter how good your teams are since virtually nothing holds on defense once you get in the top 50. I also think it justifies the payout since you need a more complete roster to compete in GA vs getting by with the one meta team. Seems even more viable in today's meta.

Justifying a rewards increase, yes. But not destroying another game mode to get it. IMO
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    It's human nature to want the best for yourself. Each one of those players in your shard chat also wants the best for themselves.

The overall way for the most people to get the most rewards is to coordinate so there are no wasted payouts. The guy currently getting 1st at the same time as you wants his best payout, so he coordinates with the others in the chat to get 1st. They offered you 2nd, so you can get the "best" payout without interfering with the first guy there.

Is it fair? Fair is relative. By rejecting their offer, what you have told the members of the shard chat is that you cannot be trusted not to attack the guy in 1st. Since you will not fit within the structure, you have to be kept outside of "striking distance" so you won't mess up the current system.

Conversely, if you had accepted their offer, you would be in a position to get 450c per day, assistance from the other shard chat members if someone was interfering with your payout time, and if that #1 guy quit (or took a break), you would have been able to move into the top spot.

As it is now, you are going to be targeted over and over.

Just as you had to go through a learning curve with this game - how to earn shards, how to upgrade characters, how to effectively spend crystals to improve your account - you are now having to go through a different learning curve about how to compete at the top levels of the Arena.

Edit - you will see similar situations in any other games you move to. People always try to maximize their own rewards. Some cheat, but others find ways of coordinating like this. It's human nature and you can't escape it by moving to a different game.

I completely agree with this. I am part of a huge chat, like 50 people for my arena. I tried fighting them for a bit then it just made no sense. After refreshes it was not worth fighting. Even the time to fight is worth more than 50 crystals. Eventually they will probably let you into a rotation for first. For my fleet chat, I could go 1 every day but I agreed with the other person who I share a payout with to give him 1, I take 2. Sometimes I take 1, but its no big deal. OP I agree that you want to stand with your principles but it just isn't worth your time.
  • Options
    exactly, just give in, but omg if you dont set a defense in GA , your a horrible person ruining peoples game experience.
    THIS ruins peoples game experience , but eh who cares right, its not the whales complaining about a few credits and a one time quest, over an issue occuring daily , and with real life bullying involved. Great job.
  • Options
    Maybe changing human race, perhaps via DNA mods, or nerfing some of our instinctive behavior. Douchebags are everywhere.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    exactly, just give in, but omg if you dont set a defense in GA , your a horrible person ruining peoples game experience.
    THIS ruins peoples game experience , but eh who cares right, its not the whales complaining about a few credits and a one time quest, over an issue occuring daily , and with real life bullying involved. Great job.

real life bullying involved? If that's true you should definately inform the authorities.
  • Options
    Change your payout time so it's something different to theirs and change your in-game name so they don't recognise you.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Options
    Shard bullying is a sad excuse for people to feel strong and powerful in a mobile game. Just have fun playing at your own pace, in your own way, and knowing that you have better things going for you in real life than bullying others in a mobile game.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Shard bullying is a sad excuse for people to feel strong and powerful in a mobile game. Just have fun playing at your own pace, in your own way, and knowing that you have better things going for you in real life than bullying others in a mobile game.

There's no universal definition of "bullying", but Wikipedia summarizes it as: "Bullying may thus be defined as the activity of repeated, aggressive behavior intended to hurt another individual, physically, mentally or emotionally."

Now, some players may perceive this shard chat's activity as "bullying", but others may view it as "defense against a bully." After all, this new player runs up, and is demanding first place, regardless of other players. That also sounds like the definition of a "bully" after all. And if the shard chat members coordinate to keep this new bully out of the top, in order to keep themselves "safe" - are they bullying him, or are they protecting themselves?

Bullying is about intent. Are these actions intended to harm the OP, or are they intended to protect others from the OP?

In general, players not in a shard chat perceive these things as bullying, and players in the shard chat perceive these as defense.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Shard Chats are dumb and should not be allowed. It permits individuals to make rules for the game and cannot be regulated by the devs. I really wish they would fix it.

Calculate # of wins per day and give bonus points for defense wins to prevent people from putting in lvl1 Ugnaght after their attacks are over. Award points like they do in GA. At the end of 23 hour period have a 1 hour "calculate" period like end of raids. Then award shards at end of day based on ranking determined by points earned. Same amount of crystal payouts. Just determined differently.

That, or something similar, would kill this shard chat nonsense and force people to constantly innovate and improve instead of getting a team to point X and then stopping because they have Y other guys helping them hold their spot. Would make the game more money. Win-win.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

How do you know you've got better things going for you when you're complaining about unfair competition in a mobile game and even consider it to be bullying?
    While i'm sure some players get off on feeling powerful in a mobile game, i'm convinced most are just in it for better rewards and less shenanigans around PO so they get to enjoy real life a bit more instead of being glued to their phone around PO. Just a thought
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    Shard Chats are dumb and should not be allowed. It permits individuals to make rules for the game and cannot be regulated by the devs. I really wish they would fix it.

Calculate # of wins per day and give bonus points for defense wins to prevent people from putting in lvl1 Ugnaght after their attacks are over. Award points like they do in GA. At the end of 23 hour period have a 1 hour "calculate" period like end of raids. Then award shards at end of day based on ranking determined by points earned. Same amount of crystal payouts. Just determined differently.

That, or something similar, would kill this shard chat nonsense and force people to constantly innovate and improve instead of getting a team to point X and then stopping because they have Y other guys helping them hold their spot. Would make the game more money. Win-win.

This would also be "gamed." Players would coordinate with each other to set two squads that they can each beat, and just attack each other and switch spots over and over.