Who is defining the current metas?

13Next

Replies

• Options
    Kisakee wrote: »
    I would love it if the top 50 or top 100 in my shard stopped using DR, JKR and Traya. At the very least it would let me move from top 200 to top 100. If I did really well, I’d move into the top 20.

Then I’d use all those extra crystals to invest in the new meta team that comes out later this year. Not because their new but because I would get the new team that makes Traya and possibly JKR irrelevant.
    [...]read my comments and get what you want from them.

I do.

+1
    Whole thread is just a complain that he cant get to top 100 and want everyone to stop using meta toons so he can get top himself
  • Options
    ImagiCnary wrote: »
    Kisakee wrote: »
    I would love it if the top 50 or top 100 in my shard stopped using DR, JKR and Traya. At the very least it would let me move from top 200 to top 100. If I did really well, I’d move into the top 20.

Then I’d use all those extra crystals to invest in the new meta team that comes out later this year. Not because their new but because I would get the new team that makes Traya and possibly JKR irrelevant.
    [...]read my comments and get what you want from them.

I do.

+1
    Whole thread is just a complain that he cant get to top 100 and want everyone to stop using meta toons so he can get top himself

Two peas in a pod. It’s best not to read the whole discussion. It makes it easier to ignore what people have said so you can throw their comments out of context.

Go look at one what I was responding to. It’s not at all related to my other comments.

Also, I didn’t make this thread and I’m not even complaining about not getting a high rank in arena.

Then again trolling is easier than reading, so carry on!
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    I didn’t ask who you use for GA. I asked you to pick from the entire character pool. If that’s your picks, I would gladly like to face you in GA with my picks.

No Darth Revan with his HK, FBS, Malak + 1 other?

You didn’t list the team specifically but I’m guessing you had JKR in there. If not, why not?

No scoundrels with Nest?

No sith triumvirate?

I too use many of the characters you listed but it’s not because I think they are better than newer characters. I use them because I previously geared them so that’s cheaper than acquiring and gearing new guys.

And arena is absolutely relevant to this discussion since that’s where the OP started. If you pick anything other JKR or DR then you would struggle to stay in the top 500 in my shard. Not many people would take a fall from top 30 to top 1000 just to show that older toons are still relevant.
    That is not how you play grand arena. You do not use a theoretical maxed roster. You use your own roster. My Nest is a work in progress. I do not have Devan. Sith are one of my most underdeveloped factions. Most rosters that have been built up over two or three years and are pretty solid still have at least one major faction that the owner acknowledges is a good faction, but which they haven't invested in significantly yet. And I gave you six teams. My arena team, plus five more. I use my arena team in TW and GA.

However, your proposal was inherently nonsensical on multiple. Those who are so built up and so late game that they have almost everything available to them also have an accumulation of old investments that it is in their best interests to leverage. Also, those players have a GP high enough that they need fourteen+ teams, not six. So you're asking me to use a roster that does not exist to fill out a competition that does not exist.

High end TW/GA is often decided not based on, "What are the 14 most powerful teams in the game?" but rather, "I have a G12 Gar Saxon and Imperial Super Commando for their ship from back during the Empire fleet meta. What team can I make to leverage them so I'm not leaving G12s on the table?" Or sending Thrawn-led Magmatrooper to efficiently counter your opponent's triumvirate.

And while arena is relevant, it is a piece of the larger conversation. #1 in the arena is a small piece of the larger conversation, because structurally that can only ever be a tiny percent of the player base. Not getting first place does not mean you fail at arena. And not using Devan or Kevan does not mean you're dropping to a thousand. You can still do pretty well with Traya or CLS or Nightsisters.

And for new players coming in, many old characters are still worth investing in. Phoenix is still generally the recommended first light side team, though there are viable alternatives. The recommended first dark side team is still Palpatine, Vader, Tarkin, TIE Fighter Pilot, and Thrawn/Magmatrooper,Stormtrooper/Boba, all of whom are old characters. Main shift in advice I give to new players is recommending Qi'ra instead of Lando for the scoundrel team for heists, and prioritizing hunters as your scoundrels for heists because they have more value. Most of those early, accessible hunters? Launch toons.

And most new metas bring back old toons. Yes, Devan meta uses Badstila, Malak, and Devan. It also uses HK-47, Sith Trooper. Kevan meta uses Kevan, Bastila, and Jolee... but it also uses General Kenobi and Grandmaster Yoda. Traya meta used Nihilus, Thrawn, and Sith Trooper. Bastila meta used Old Ben and Ezra. Nightmare meta literally used one new character in Sion; the rest were very old toons. Titans meta was CLS leading some of the established staples of the game. JTR meta's rotating +2 included a lot of old characters. It's not like the old characters disappear, never to be relevant again; most metas include a mix of old and new characters. Thinking back, the only time I can recall where the premier meta team didn't have at least two old toons in it was when I joined and Krennic was meta, near the Thrawn/RO toons release. Thrawn lead, Krennic, Deathtrooper, and Shoretrooper, plus Veers as the one old toon. And even that as often as not dropped Krennic to do double tank using Stormtrooper, putting it back at two old toons.

Some toons age well. Some toons age badly. Many, even most old toons remain worthwhile investments.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    I didn’t ask who you use for GA. I asked you to pick from the entire character pool. If that’s your picks, I would gladly like to face you in GA with my picks.

No Darth Revan with his HK, FBS, Malak + 1 other?

You didn’t list the team specifically but I’m guessing you had JKR in there. If not, why not?

No scoundrels with Nest?

No sith triumvirate?

I too use many of the characters you listed but it’s not because I think they are better than newer characters. I use them because I previously geared them so that’s cheaper than acquiring and gearing new guys.

And arena is absolutely relevant to this discussion since that’s where the OP started. If you pick anything other JKR or DR then you would struggle to stay in the top 500 in my shard. Not many people would take a fall from top 30 to top 1000 just to show that older toons are still relevant.
    That is not how you play grand arena. You do not use a theoretical maxed roster. You use your own roster. My Nest is a work in progress. I do not have Devan. Sith are one of my most underdeveloped factions. Most rosters that have been built up over two or three years and are pretty solid still have at least one major faction that the owner acknowledges is a good faction, but which they haven't invested in significantly yet. And I gave you six teams. My arena team, plus five more. I use my arena team in TW and GA.

However, your proposal was inherently nonsensical on multiple. Those who are so built up and so late game that they have almost everything available to them also have an accumulation of old investments that it is in their best interests to leverage. Also, those players have a GP high enough that they need fourteen+ teams, not six. So you're asking me to use a roster that does not exist to fill out a competition that does not exist.

High end TW/GA is often decided not based on, "What are the 14 most powerful teams in the game?" but rather, "I have a G12 Gar Saxon and Imperial Super Commando for their ship from back during the Empire fleet meta. What team can I make to leverage them so I'm not leaving G12s on the table?" Or sending Thrawn-led Magmatrooper to efficiently counter your opponent's triumvirate.

And while arena is relevant, it is a piece of the larger conversation. #1 in the arena is a small piece of the larger conversation, because structurally that can only ever be a tiny percent of the player base. Not getting first place does not mean you fail at arena. And not using Devan or Kevan does not mean you're dropping to a thousand. You can still do pretty well with Traya or CLS or Nightsisters.

And for new players coming in, many old characters are still worth investing in. Phoenix is still generally the recommended first light side team, though there are viable alternatives. The recommended first dark side team is still Palpatine, Vader, Tarkin, TIE Fighter Pilot, and Thrawn/Magmatrooper,Stormtrooper/Boba, all of whom are old characters. Main shift in advice I give to new players is recommending Qi'ra instead of Lando for the scoundrel team for heists, and prioritizing hunters as your scoundrels for heists because they have more value. Most of those early, accessible hunters? Launch toons.

And most new metas bring back old toons. Yes, Devan meta uses Badstila, Malak, and Devan. It also uses HK-47, Sith Trooper. Kevan meta uses Kevan, Bastila, and Jolee... but it also uses General Kenobi and Grandmaster Yoda. Traya meta used Nihilus, Thrawn, and Sith Trooper. Bastila meta used Old Ben and Ezra. Nightmare meta literally used one new character in Sion; the rest were very old toons. Titans meta was CLS leading some of the established staples of the game. JTR meta's rotating +2 included a lot of old characters. It's not like the old characters disappear, never to be relevant again; most metas include a mix of old and new characters. Thinking back, the only time I can recall where the premier meta team didn't have at least two old toons in it was when I joined and Krennic was meta, near the Thrawn/RO toons release. Thrawn lead, Krennic, Deathtrooper, and Shoretrooper, plus Veers as the one old toon. And even that as often as not dropped Krennic to do double tank using Stormtrooper, putting it back at two old toons.

Some toons age well. Some toons age badly. Many, even most old toons remain worthwhile investments.

Lol gotta life these long responses. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to respond to all of it (maybe later).

My initial comments on this thread were an extension on what the OP was talking about. Who really decides the meta? The players or CG?

I agree with much of what you said that some of the older toons/factions can still be used, but the new characters in general make the older ones irrelevant.

The suggestion of theoretical maxed rosters is only to show that given the choice players would choose the newer characters since they are better than older ones. I understand how GA works and my roster seems to be similar to yours. However, the proposal is not as nonsensical as you assume. I don’t have Traya and I don’t have DR. I’ve faced rosters with those characters and their strategy in GA was very simple: put them both plus JKR on defense. Those teams don’t have many counters, so they can easily win a war of attrition. On the other hand, these teams aren’t like some other teams that could be whittled down. If I mess up attacking a Rogue One squad, I just try again (kill baze or chirrut and then a couple more in the next fight). There are many options to counter those teams (including almost all newer characters). If I mess up against JKR, I may not get a second chance to beat the team.

Again, I’m just reiterating that we have less influence over who the meta characters are than many people seem to think.