3v3 Grand Arena Matchup Algorithm Needs to be "tighter" than 5v5

Prev1
Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
I am in a bracket of 8 where 2 guys have DR+Malak and 6 don't. No, this isn't a complaint - I (without) beat one of the ones who does. But there is over 100k difference in GP between several players. In 5v5 that difference is manageable. But in 3v3 that's almost 2 entire powerful teams (including DR/Malak).

My point is simply that when you have smaller numbers on teams, the spread in GP has to be lower, in order to keep things competitive.

That's all - just tweak the numbers so that 3v3 GP's are closer together than the acceptable range for 5v5. This seemed to be an issue last 3v3 as well.
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Are you talking about overall GP or just character GP?
  • Options
    I know you don’t fall for this but a driving force of this game and other ea games is the - that person has it but I don’t.

Tighter matchmaking would be nice though.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Liath wrote: »

Character as measured by the Discord bot. The other DR/Malak guy I'm facing this round has double the number of 6 dot mods and 24 speed mods 20+ to my 10.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I know you don’t fall for this but a driving force of this game and other ea games is the - that person has it but I don’t.

Oh no, I get that - especially in arena. It is my understanding (and at least implied) that GA is supposed to be more "evenly" matched. Squad arena is "keep up with Jones'" - and I totally get that. I don't think I'm entitled to have the same thing the DR/Malak guys do (I'll still try!)

I'm just saying if the goal of GA is supposed to be more even matchups, they need to tighten it up a bit for 3v3. Honestly, 5v5 is fantastic. Some real great GA matchups the last few times. Down to the wire.

3v3 seems a bit "off" is all.

• Options
    The DSR bot, if that's the one you're referring to, had had issues with getting current data for TW. Could be the same for GA.

You may be better off looking in game.

I've never seen a gap of more than 10k, and rarely more than 2k, at the start of a GA round.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Character as measured by the Discord bot. The other DR/Malak guy I'm facing this round has double the number of 6 dot mods and 24 speed mods 20+ to my 10.

Just curious why you are looking at the discord bot instead of in the game? My understanding is that the discord bot sometimes hasn't updated for certain people for a while. And did you look when the GA started? It's also possible some people have done a lot of gearing in the last few days, but that won't impact the GA.

It seems odd to me because everybody in my grouping is within a few thousand difference in character GP. I could see there being such a big difference at the top GP levels because there might not be enough people to group together too closely, but otherwise that sounds fairly unusual.
  • Options

Oh no, I get that - especially in arena. It is my understanding (and at least implied) that GA is supposed to be more "evenly" matched. Squad arena is "keep up with Jones'" - and I totally get that. I don't think I'm entitled to have the same thing the DR/Malak guys do (I'll still try!)

I'm just saying if the goal of GA is supposed to be more even matchups, they need to tighten it up a bit for 3v3. Honestly, 5v5 is fantastic. Some real great GA matchups the last few times. Down to the wire.

3v3 seems a bit "off" is all.

For sure. I do appreciate 3v3 just for the sake of splitting it up. And I think that’s what they intended for a more even match up. Some squads are easier or beatable with out all their parts.

I’m 4.7 gp and some of these teams are out right dirty with speed but I do love when I see new configurations and clever teams.

My record is crap but I appreciate it
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    When I used the discord bot for this last TW it was 200 hrs out of date for us and 1000 hours out of date for them.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Just curious why you are looking at the discord bot instead of in the game? My understanding is that the discord bot sometimes hasn't updated for certain people for a while. And did you look when the GA started? It's also possible some people have done a lot of gearing in the last few days, but that won't impact the GA.

It seems odd to me because everybody in my grouping is within a few thousand difference in character GP. I could see there being such a big difference at the top GP levels because there might not be enough people to group together too closely, but otherwise that sounds fairly unusual.

That's a fair point. The in game ones are closer - but there has also been debate about whether or not the in game displays (and even mods) are accurately "locked" at the start of GA as they are intended.

Part of my point was not simply overall GP - but those other factors as well (including DR/Malak). Just as an example (and why I prefer the Discord comparison) - here is what it lists for my current match (I'm the one on the left)

G12+5 :: 7 vs 17
    6 dot Mods :: 56 vs 107
    Speed+10 :: 160 vs 262
    Speed+15 :: 45 vs 91
    Speed+20 :: 10 vs 24
    Off+100 :: 21 vs 33

While I wasn't trying to turn this into a complaint thread (more of a request to simply tighten it up in 3v3) - clearly, the person with 14 more 20+ speed mods has a big advantage. In 3v3 that's 4 entire team's worth. And 50 more 6 dot mods is enough to completely mod out 3 more teams. That's all I'm suggesting. Those differences in 5v5 are at least a little easier to overcome, as they tend to be spread out more and can be "strategized" around through good synergy/planning better.

Again, all of this operates under the assumption that GA is intended to be a relatively even match. The numbers above - along with the addition of DR+Malak (and the characters required to get it) suggest that if that is indeed the intention, its execution is a little off - and specifically only in 3v3. In 5v5, it's all good.

The reason for the thread is simply to suggest that CG look into tweaking the 3v3 algorithm, if all they did was "copy/paste" the 5v5 one into a different format.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    You can only ever view the current state of a player's roster, even through the GA user interface, so the only time you can view the locked-in state is at the end of the initial signup phase when brackets are selected. The more time elapses from that point the more the current state diverges from the locked-in state as the players make changes.

Depending how you access an individual character's detail screen within the GA you could be looking at either its current state or its locked-in state - https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/200268/viewing-roster-details-in-locked-down-ga-is-broken
  • Options
    I don't think it's meant to be even. If it were even there would be no incentive to improve your roster (i.e spend money) to do better. It kind of does the opposite since the rewards aren't tiered. Why improve your roster if the rewards don't get better and you'll always be my matched against someone with a very similar one, similar enough that it opens the door to RNG type factors creeping in? (See: mirror match problems)

I think they're trying to make it "fair" from the perspective of resources and general strength. It's not perfect. And it's a tough task. I still haven't seen a reason why a more complex algorithm wouldn't just make the complaints different a la TW.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    I don't think it's meant to be even. If it were even there would be no incentive to improve your roster (i.e spend money) to do better. It kind of does the opposite since the rewards aren't tiered. Why improve your roster if the rewards don't get better and you'll always be my matched against someone with a very similar one, similar enough that it opens the door to RNG type factors creeping in? (See: mirror match problems)

I think they're trying to make it "fair" from the perspective of resources and general strength. It's not perfect. And it's a tough task. I still haven't seen a reason why a more complex algorithm wouldn't just make the complaints different a la TW.

See, I don't think so. Partly because that analogy falls apart if you're the guy or guys with DR/Malak who never even faced each other. That's also what arena is for - both of them. The rewards in GA aren't worth money. Crystals in the two arenas are. That's why I am offering the feedback - because I do think the design intent is for GA to be even.

I'm not saying it's easy. But it wouldn't be that difficult to take even just the data from the Discord script above and put acceptable ranges that are closer together than that.

Or a even a very rudimentary roster comparison. As a JKR owner, it wouldn't be fun for me to face someone who doesn't have him - but even more in 3v3 because having that 1 or 2 extra very powerful characters IS practically an extra team. And often the difference between a win and a loss.

Again, I'm not ranting or raging. It's just a suggestion to improve a game mode I really enjoy. The 5v5 version is a blast. Imho, the 3v3 just needs to be fine tuned a bit more.

• Options
    My current 8 person field has: 4 w/ DR and JKR, 2 w/ DR, JKR, and Malek, 2 (I’m in this group) with neither Revan. I’d like it to be tighter, in theory, BUT I beat one who had all 3, lost to one who had the 2, and will beat one who had neither. So it plays out well, depending on gameplay of how everyone sets their defenses.
    Ooba hutar.
  • Options
    Since they implemented this character GP change 3v3 just became a lot easier. Fighting enemies with 100~300k less GP is a lot easier than fighting people my own GP. At least 5v5 there is still some challenge
  • Options
    I am in a bracket of 8 where 2 guys have DR+Malak and 6 don't. No, this isn't a complaint - I (without) beat one of the ones who does. But there is over 100k difference in GP between several players. In 5v5 that difference is manageable. But in 3v3 that's almost 2 entire powerful teams (including DR/Malak).

My point is simply that when you have smaller numbers on teams, the spread in GP has to be lower, in order to keep things competitive.

That's all - just tweak the numbers so that 3v3 GP's are closer together than the acceptable range for 5v5. This seemed to be an issue last 3v3 as well.

Agreed, especially since 3v3 breaks up some squads synergy enough that they go from competitive to just meh. That puts a lot more pressure on who has the best individual meta toons and mods since you can't count on better squad synergy to compensate.

I've seen this myself with the murder bears. In full 5v5 squads they have enough going on that they can hit decently above their weight class. 3v3 though they've been lackluster (for me at least).
  • Options
    I like the 3vs3 and the normal 5vs5, however I don't like the complete open version with just 2 territories.
  • Options
    There's a 100k difference in your squad GP?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    But there is over 100k difference in GP between several players.

I highly doubt this.

In a character only GA players are matched by character GP at roster lock - not total GP. I guess you're comparing total GP.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i win the majority of my GA matches on roster strenght alone, but i find 3v3 to be more challenging (pre drevan/malak) than 5v5 tbh.
    i don't know if GA championships are completely replacing regular GA, but if so that would solve the issue you're having. For me it will mean i'll start losing, hehe.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I think they should not use a GP system for matchups but a ladder system. The higher ladder the better the rewards. Also the higher the ladder the better and more powerful opponent would be.

If player passed ladder level n-1 they get access to ladder level n. Requirement would be to get 3/3 victories on ladder lvl n-1 for example
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Part of my point was not simply overall GP - but those other factors as well (including DR/Malak). Just as an example (and why I prefer the Discord comparison) - here is what it lists for my current match (I'm the one on the left)

While I wasn't trying to turn this into a complaint thread (more of a request to simply tighten it up in 3v3) - clearly, the person with 14 more 20+ speed mods has a big advantage. In 3v3 that's 4 entire team's worth. And 50 more 6 dot mods is enough to completely mod out 3 more teams. That's all I'm suggesting. Those differences in 5v5 are at least a little easier to overcome.

For those getting hung up on the GP differences, where I got them from (Discord or in game), whether or not they included fleet (which they didn't) - you're kind of missing the entire point. GP being used (or at least, GP being given to much weight) is likely part of the weakness of the algorithm.

In fact, even if the GP were identical, you can obviously see by the above quote regarding high level mods and gear, that the match up algorithm is flawed if the goal of GA is to get even matches.

• Options
    How about in either 3v3 or 5v5 they put anyone who has malak against other players with malak and the rest of us will have a chance to win? :tongue:
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    How about in either 3v3 or 5v5 they put anyone who has malak against other players with malak and the rest of us will have a chance to win? :tongue:

Honestly, if they just compared the numbers I quoted from the Discord app (g12+ gear, 6 dot mods and 20+ speed mods) - I think opponents would be much more evenly matched. I can out-mod a slow 5* Malak. But if his whole DR team has 20+ speed mods, and I only have 10 on my whole roster, no chance.

That's part of the reason for this thread. The game is more about mods (especially 6 dot and 20+ speed) and g12+ gear than specific characters or how many 7 star rebels you have.

The match up algorithm should be more heavily weighted for those things that actually have influence on the outcome of the battles.

• Options
    Bet you love the new format @Nikoms565

Hiding a fleet behind a drevan/revan/cls territory
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

While I wasn't trying to turn this into a complaint thread (more of a request to simply tighten it up in 3v3) - clearly, the person with 14 more 20+ speed mods has a big advantage. In 3v3 that's 4 entire team's worth. And 50 more 6 dot mods is enough to completely mod out 3 more teams. That's all I'm suggesting. Those differences in 5v5 are at least a little easier to overcome.

For those getting hung up on the GP differences, where I got them from (Discord or in game), whether or not they included fleet (which they didn't) - you're kind of missing the entire point. GP being used (or at least, GP being given to much weight) is likely part of the weakness of the algorithm.

The point of your first post was, that the 8 players in a 3v3 GA should be within the same tight range of GP as in 5v5 GAs. I still don't believe there's any difference between 3v3 and 5v5 in that regard. I don't believe there's over 100k difference between players. However, feel free to post your evidence.
    In fact, even if the GP were identical, you can obviously see by the above quote regarding high level mods and gear, that the match up algorithm is flawed if the goal of GA is to get even matches.

The goal of GA in its current design, is clearly not to create even matches with regards to mods and gear. Hence, there's no flaw in that regard. Since we all battle for the exact same rewards, creating even matches would be unfair and silly in several regards.

• Options
    Ultimate troll by CG
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

The point of your first post was, that the 8 players in a 3v3 GA should be within the same tight range of GP as in 5v5 GAs. I still don't believe there's any difference between 3v3 and 5v5 in that regard. I don't believe there's over 100k difference between players. However, feel free to post your evidence.

The goal of GA in its current design, is clearly not to create even matches with regards to mods and gear. Hence, there's no flaw in that regard. Since we all battle for the exact same rewards, creating even matches would be unfair and silly in several regards.

Why do you insist that it's not the goal of GA to create even matches? And at the same time insist that they must be even based on GP? Those two points are completely contradictory from a logical perspective.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Why do you insist that it's not the goal of GA to create even matches?

Did you ever experience an even matchup where all 8 players were even in all aspects and not just even in GP? Did you ever see an official announcement that players would be matched evenly in any other aspect than GP? No? Well, there you go.
    And at the same time insist that they must be even based on GP?

That's a fact given by the official announcements back when GA was introduced. It's not something that "I insist".
    Those two points are completely contradictory from a logical perspective.

Your logic is flawed.

You are matched with players with approximately the same total/character GP as you, but your rosters may vary greatly in other aspects like amount of high gear characters or high speed mods. What's so contradictory here? Do you even understand the meaning of that word?

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Why do you insist that it's not the goal of GA to create even matches?

Did you ever experience an even matchup where all 8 players were even in all aspects and not just even in GP? Did you ever see an official announcement that players would be matched evenly in any other aspect than GP? No? Well, there you go.
    And at the same time insist that they must be even based on GP?

That's a fact given by the official announcements back when GA was introduced. It's not something that "I insist".
    Those two points are completely contradictory from a logical perspective.

Your logic is flawed.

You are matched with players with approximately the same total/character GP as you, but your rosters may vary greatly in other aspects like amount of high gear characters or high speed mods. What's so contradictory here? Do you even understand the meaning of that word?

First off, it is abundantly clear that you are more interested in "winning" a discussion rather than having one.

Second, if GP is even, "but your rosters may vary greatly in other aspects like amount of high gear characters or high speed mods." (per your quote) than what exactly is the purpose of GP? Apparently it measures nothing that actually has any real impact on the outcomes of the battles. Anyone that has played the game for a while realizes that stars and number of characters is not nearly as important as those with 6 dot mods or g12+ gear. Even CG has stated that g12 gear gives a significant advantage.

That's the entire point of this feedback. Which is to say, that IF GP is the sole factor in determining match ups, but GP doesn't accurately reflect roster strength, then the algorithm needs to be tweaked - especially in 3v3 where such large differences in "actual" roster strength (mods and g12+ gear - which 4 and 5 also increase soeed) are difficult to overcome.

I'm honestly not understanding why this is so confusing.

• Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    Bet you love the new format @Nikoms565

Hiding a fleet behind a drevan/revan/cls territory
    Dang

I might steal this idea