Can we have a Tenacity / Potency Dev Write up like Protection Up?

Erebus2017
50 posts Member
edited May 2019
It is one of the least understood mechanics in the game, in my opinion, and plays such a huge role. Would love to see this as per what was published for Protection Up.

Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    This would be awesome!
  • Options
    I agree the devs need to post somewhere a comprehensive list of how all the mechanics underlying things like this actually work. With respect to Tenacity/Potency though it's pretty well known and was I believe confirmed by the devs around the time of Rancor raid release (although I don't have a source for that).

To save you the search:
    If an attack is dodged or the character targeted is immune to effect, the effect can't be applied.
    If an attack hits, the chance to apply the effect is 100% unless otherwise stated in the characters ability description (e.g. 70% chance for palp's stun).
    Conditional on the effect being applied, the chance to resist the effect is equal to
    MAX(15%, (Tenacity - Potency)%).
    If the effect is unresistable tenacity and potency are not considered.
    Tenacity up is +999900% tenacity
    Tenacity down is -999900% tenacity (so they cancel each other out)
    Potency up is +50% potency
    Potency down is -50% potency

The only real subtlety is the level delta. If you are trying to apply an effect to a character at a higher level (e.g. Thrawn in the 7* stage of his event is level 88) your potency is reduced by 5% per level your character is lower (up to a maximum of -30%).

Hope all of that is clear? Feel free to ask if not.
  • Options
    I think there are some missing mechanics. The instance that started this discussion in our guild chat was a 40%ish potency CLS applying Tenacity Down to a 155%ish Tenacity Nest. By the above math Nest resists that 110% of the time (both level 85). When we looked at the characters stats it seemed impossible for it to happen but it did.

I still think there are aspects of these interactions not known to the general populace and as you stated, finding an authoritative source document is all but impossible.
  • UdalCuain
    5022 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Erebus2017 wrote: »
    I think there are some missing mechanics. The instance that started this discussion in our guild chat was a 40%ish potency CLS applying Tenacity Down to a 155%ish Tenacity Nest. By the above math Nest resists that 110% of the time (both level 85). When we looked at the characters stats it seemed impossible for it to happen but it did.

I still think there are aspects of these interactions not known to the general populace and as you stated, finding an authoritative source document is all but impossible.

Tenacity down can't be resisted, it does not go through the tenacity/potency check.

Plus CLS gets an extra 40% potency from his unique, not that it matters for tenacity down, but that would take him over 80%.
  • Options
    Ah yeah, sorry, missed that tenacity down is always unresistable.

That's why if you have CLS or TFP or KRU etc. in your rancor/P1 or P3 Haat teams you never need potency.

I think some people keep recommending you put lots of potency on your characters though because they just remember it was super important in the previous teams like teebo lead before tenacity down was a thing.
  • Options
    All good points, but I think it also supports the need for a write up...

How would a player know that Ten Down is always unresistable? It's not posted anywhere....
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    All good points, but I think it also supports the need for a write up...

How would a player know that Ten Down is always unresistable? It's not posted anywhere....

You can see that it is unresistable if you would click on the expanded ability mechanics on swgoh.gg. Moreover, think about how you would ever be able to "counter" Tenacity Up if Tenacity Down could be resisted.
  • Options
    I can't remember where I read this, but I did read that a character has a 15% chance to resist regardless of the potency of the attacking character...
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read this, but I did read that a character has a 15% chance to resist regardless of the potency of the attacking character...

And that's true the other way around too, there's always a 15% chance to inflict a debuff even if the enemy has 100000000000000% tenacity.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Options
    Kisakee wrote: »

And that's true the other way around too, there's always a 15% chance to inflict a debuff even if the enemy has 100000000000000% tenacity.

So, we do need a write up then 😄
  • Options
    Tenacity down can't ever ever be resisted? Whaaaa?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options

No, this is untrue.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options

Erroneous. You still have a 15% resist chance with Tenacity Down, but you'll never land a debuff on a character with Tenacity Up unless it has the "can't be resisted" tag.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    @Erebus2017 not sure if you’ve seen this, it’s from 2 years ago. Warrior does a really good job explaining potency vs. tenacity.

https://youtu.be/4Cru7AT5Dqc
  • Options
    Most of that vid is okay... except if you care about the maths involved. It's not a 3 step process as stated there. If you were to consider it a 3 step process you'd have to consider the 15% base resist chance conditionally given the effect was not resisted during the potency tenacity check. This would change the probability of effects landing if it was calculated the way it's presented in the video. Also he does some weird thing with starting at 100% and adding potency and then taking off tenacity of whatever and switches the goal between resisting and applying the effect which to all intent and purpose changes nothing but is confusing, pointless and annoying (see below a comparison with the actual calculation). Data mined code shows that the probability of resisting is calculated very simply as:

MAX(15%, (Tenacity - Potency)%)

Tenacity/potency modifying buffs/debuffs/uniques/leaderships, doges, immunities, level delta etc. all considered separately - once you know the tenacity and potency that's how you calculate the probability of resisting an effect that has been applied.

If your tenacity is >99900% (tenacity up) and potency is normal... your resist chance is over 100% and you can't be debuffed (by a resistible debuf), if you tenacity is -99900% (tenacity down) then your resist chance is 15%... if it's somewhere in between then do Tenacity - potency and if the number you get is less than 15% your resist chance is 15%, but if the number you get is greater than 15% that's the chance to resist (which can easily be over 100%).

Taking two examples in which the chance to apply effect case is met here is what you could expect from the two different versions of the calculation to determine chance to resist...
    NB: I've called this (100 + Potency - Tenacity)/100 warrior uses "chance to apply" and his seperate base 15% door as "chance to resist" and the two methods look like this:
    1) Probability of debuf fail = max(0.15, (Tenacity - Potency)/100)
    2) Probability of debuf fail = 1 - (chance to apply * (1 - chance to resist))
    = 1 - (((100 + Potency - Tenacity)/100) * 0.85)
    Take a potency of 90 and a tenacity of 180 (e.g. a palp vs jedi type case)
    in case 1) Probability of debuf fail = 0.9
    in case 2) Probability of debuf fail = 0.915 (which has the conditionality warrior added by splitting into separate "doors")
    Second case potency = 50, and tenacity = 55 (e.g. more traditional debuff toon vs common tenacity pre new mods)
    in case 1) Probability of debuf fail = 0.15
    in case 2) Probability of debuf fail = 0.1925

Anyways... I hope if you read that a few times it makes sense but I realise that this isn't the best format for it.
  • Options
    This is off topic,but don’t forget the chance to evade.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Options

Leaving aside the fact that Tenacity Down can't be resisted....the math for debuffs in that situation is off anyway. CLS gets another 40% potency from his unique so that would take him to 80%ish in potency. First you have to look at the base chance to land a debuff....some abilities say 50% or 80% chance to stun, ability block, etc. The ones that don't specify a percentage are 100%.....which is the case with CLS's special. That's the first check that is done. If that check is passed, then you go to the tenacity/potency check.

With CLS, he has a 100% base chance to land a debuff plus 80% for his potency minus 155% for Nest's tenacity. So going through the potency/tenacity check, CLS would have a 25% chance to land a debuff on Nest (leaving aside the irresistible debuffs). If that check is passed, then you go to the random check.

The random check is that even if the debuff should land because it passes the potency/tenacity check, there is a 15% chance that the debuff will be resisted. This will be overridden by any debuffs that are irresistible.

So CLS would not have a check or roll with a 25% max & 15% minimum chance of the debuff landing, they are actually 3 separate checks. 100% base chance to land - passed....25% chance to land from the potency/tenacity check - if passed, then go to 3rd check.....15% random resist check. Warrior has probably the best video out there explaining how it works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cru7AT5Dqc

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    • tenacity - potency = chance to resist with a minimum of 15%.
      So basically 15% less potency than your enemies tenacity results in the maximum chance to inflict a debuff, any more potency is useless
    • tenacity down can't be resisted
    • tenacity down drops the resist chance to 15% (the minimum)
    • tenacity up increases the resist chance to 100%
    • tenacity up and down cancel eachother out
    • the potency/tenacity check happens after the abilities procrate check.
      for example: Vader's basic has an 80% chance to inflict ability block. Because of the minimum resist chance of 15% this means he inflicts abi block only 68% of the time at most
    That's basically all you need to know.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Tenacity up and tenacity down do not cancel each other out.
    s2ralf0wnvgv.png

Also, there's already a write up I believe, you'd just need to search for it.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options

Leaving aside the fact that Tenacity Down can't be resisted....the math for debuffs in that situation is off anyway. CLS gets another 40% potency from his unique so that would take him to 80%ish in potency. First you have to look at the base chance to land a debuff....some abilities say 50% or 80% chance to stun, ability block, etc. The ones that don't specify a percentage are 100%.....which is the case with CLS's special. That's the first check that is done. If that check is passed, then you go to the tenacity/potency check.

With CLS, he has a 100% base chance to land a debuff plus 80% for his potency minus 155% for Nest's tenacity. So going through the potency/tenacity check, CLS would have a 25% chance to land a debuff on Nest (leaving aside the irresistible debuffs). If that check is passed, then you go to the random check.

The random check is that even if the debuff should land because it passes the potency/tenacity check, there is a 15% chance that the debuff will be resisted. This will be overridden by any debuffs that are irresistible.

So CLS would not have a check or roll with a 25% max & 15% minimum chance of the debuff landing, they are actually 3 separate checks. 100% base chance to land - passed....25% chance to land from the potency/tenacity check - if passed, then go to 3rd check.....15% random resist check. Warrior has probably the best video out there explaining how it works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cru7AT5Dqc

This is wrong. There is no third check as explained by EduardoCadav above. Please stop perpetuating this video like it is the bible.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    This is actually how it works according to the developers:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/42003y/detailed_analysis_of_poes_bravado/cz8hvc1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Copied out the relevant sections for those lazy to read the entire post:
    Tenacity has an absolute minimum value of 15%, regardless of how much Potency the attacker has. Whether Poe (or, really, anybody else) has 40% Potency or 4,000,000%, the target can't have less than a 15% chance to Resist unless the effect is irresistible. This is definitely a messaging failure on our part, because while every unit shows a base Tenacity of 15%, I don't think it's explained anywhere that that value is irreducible.

Tenacity can never be reduced below 15%, hence short formed to Base minimum chance to resist of 15%. There is NO 3rd check.