Stop Scheduling Events on Weekends

kello_511
1648 posts Member
Devs:
You have proven over and over again that it’s a terrible idea to have events introduced in weekends since they are incapable of working as intended. Now that has clearly already to TW and GA.

Since we know that no event can ever be proven to run smoothly again, and that we will consistently have to “wait until Monday” for fixes, can we not just stop pretending to be surprised by this and only have these things during the week?

It’s beyond frustrating to see the entire event ruined because of this. Guilds who are focused on tw are usually eager to start, and literally at least half of our guild was affected by this. And on top of that, there have been clear inconsistencies in scoring now which changes the entire scope of the event.

Replies

• Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options
    An event running for the 85th time (sarcasm) should be capable of running on its own. I much prefer TW/GA to be on weekends. Please don’t stop.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    An event running for the 85th time (sarcasm) should be capable of running on its own. I much prefer TW/GA to be on weekends. Please don’t stop.

I agree 100%.
    But it’s been proven that it’s NOT capable of running on its own...so in absence of competence, I’m suggesting only running them when there is someone there to fix the issues.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options
    kello_511 wrote: »

I agree 100%.
    But it’s been proven that it’s NOT capable of running on its own...so in absence of competence, I’m suggesting only running them when there is someone there to fix the issues.

Were they fixed any slower today than they would be during the week? The only thing waiting until Monday is the “make good”, if any even comes.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

I agree 100%.

Were they fixed any slower today than they would be during the week? The only thing waiting until Monday is the “make good”, if any even comes.

Exactly, it's not like this would have been resolved faster on a Monday. It was rather quick for a weekend.

And I like having one during the week and one on the weekend.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    But is it “fixed”?

It seems that they have “fixed” the issue so that there are no further connection problems, but there is already a lot of damage done.

There were scoring anomalies that were noted (some instances of guilds getting credited with points multiple times for a single battle, instances of attempts not being counted, etc.)

The post says that they will sort it out on Monday. However efficiency is a huge aspect of winning a tw, and it’s essentially impossible to determine it now with the scoring as it is.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    You guys track efficiency during the war?

Hardcore.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options
    Its as fixed as it can get. Having the full dev staff there wouldn’t change anything. It’s not possible to go back and undo this. They simply said they will evaluate the “damage” and determine if compensation is warranted. If it was Tuesday instead of Saturday the only thing that might be different is we could get compensation sooner.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    You guys track efficiency during the war?

Hardcore.

Yes. And it can make a difference towards the end, if you need to decide between taking a 50/50 shot at winning in 1 battle vs. playing it safe and clearing it with 2 battles (for example).
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe you just need to start off more efficient ;)
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Its as fixed as it can get. Having the full dev staff there wouldn’t change anything. It’s not possible to go back and undo this. They simply said they will evaluate the “damage” and determine if compensation is warranted. If it was Tuesday instead of Saturday the only thing that might be different is we could get compensation sooner.

It’s not possible?
    But the dev post says that they are going to review the effect it had on the players and decide from there.
    It seems pretty clear that they are able to determine what’s impact their latest bug had on the players, and if this was a normal day they could probably correct the scoring issues pretty quickly.

I do recall some past scoring issues being addressed mid-event before.

Like I said, I like events on weekends too. But that is overshadowed when those same events consistently can’t run properly (even on the 85th iteration).
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options

It’s not possible?
    But the dev post says that they are going to review the effect it had on the players and decide from there.
    It seems pretty clear that they are able to determine what’s impact their latest bug had on the players, and if this was a normal day they could probably correct the scoring issues pretty quickly.

Like I said, I like events on weekends too. But that is overshadowed when those same events consistently can’t run properly (even on the 85th iteration).

Reviewing the impact is not the same as live fixing the scores. It’s not possible (or at least not feasible). I can’t remember what happened before exactly, but it was an issue where scores weren’t calculating correctly. They fixed that. This is much more complicated, and even if it could be reversed and the teams that had connection issues restored how would that even work? Give guilds back their teams after they already moved on and used different teams? That just creates additional issues that isn’t worth the effort.
  • X3ina
    108 posts Member
    Options

cvfvmwclsmda.jpg
    Cough *fixed* cough
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options

It’s not possible?

Reviewing the impact is not the same as live fixing the scores. It’s not possible (or at least not feasible). I can’t remember what happened before exactly, but it was an issue where scores weren’t calculating correctly. They fixed that. This is much more complicated, and even if it could be reversed and the teams that had connection issues restored how would that even work? Give guilds back their teams after they already moved on and used different teams? That just creates additional issues that isn’t worth the effort.

I am talking specifically about fixing the issue with scores that have not calculated correctly. Something that could (and has) been hot fixed mid-event in the past.
    There were scoring anomalies that were noted (some instances of guilds getting credited with points multiple times for a single battle, instances of attempts not being counted, etc.)

The post says that they will sort it out on Monday. However efficiency is a huge aspect of winning a tw, and it’s essentially impossible to determine it now with the scoring as it is.

And unfortunately, just saying “meh it’s cool, it’s not worth the effort to fix it” expresses acceptance that this is ok. I don’t believe it is ok. Especially not after so many instances of TW running, there is no good excuse not to have bugs ironed out. This is nothing new at this point.

I agree that fixing it properly (ie: rolling back the entire event) isn’t really feasible. But I also don’t accept that and just say “it’s cool, hopefully next time it will be fixed”.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    X3ina wrote: »

cvfvmwclsmda.jpg
    Cough *fixed* cough

IPD could explain that screenshot.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

cvfvmwclsmda.jpg
    Cough *fixed* cough

Not sure what you are trying to say. There are multiple WAI reasons this can happen.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Since we know that no event can ever be proven to run smoothly again, and that we will consistently have to “wait until Monday” for fixes, ....

Today's server issues on TW were resolved rather quickly.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

It’s not possible?

I think you misunderstood what they meam.

They are going to look at how wide the effect was and what the end result is for the majority effected.

They will not nor have they ever adjusted scores or any other event data due to an issue.

Also from what this looked like it was a "connection issue", which means to them, the data is lost, it never made it back to the server. It is doughtful they could determine a loss from a missed connection due to this issue with the data on hand.
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

cvfvmwclsmda.jpg
    Cough *fixed* cough

How? It can't self destruct if it's the last character standing can it? Not being a ****, genuinely interested in what I've missed.
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    Options
    Wow, the French word for shower is censored. Hint, usually proceeds "bag".
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

cvfvmwclsmda.jpg
    Cough *fixed* cough

Not sure what you are trying to say. There are multiple WAI reasons this can happen.

This

C3PO or a HY on the other team could easily lead to this. Server issues need not apply.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Wow, the French word for shower is censored. Hint, usually proceeds "bag".

Probably because most people I know don't use it to mean "shower."

To be fair, most people I know are French showers.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

cvfvmwclsmda.jpg
    Cough *fixed* cough

How? It can't self destruct if it's the last character standing can it? Not being a ****, genuinely interested in what I've missed.

i don't know tbh, but there had to be 2 characters of which IPD blew up the other leaving hermit on the battle field unable to retreat.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

It’s not possible?

I think you misunderstood what they meam.

They are going to look at how wide the effect was and what the end result is for the majority effected.

They will not nor have they ever adjusted scores or any other event data due to an issue.

Also from what this looked like it was a "connection issue", which means to them, the data is lost, it never made it back to the server. It is doughtful they could determine a loss from a missed connection due to this issue with the data on hand.

So if there is absolutely no information available, how are they going to determine how “wide the effect was”?

And there was definitely an event, I think it was an early tw, where points were not scored correctly for battles that were won (shocking, I know). And as I recall they did fix it before the event was over.