Draws in GA

Prev1
Paulos999
315 posts Member
Why does higher GP win in Grand Arena after a draw?

Surely if someone with less GP can draw with a more powerful player (albeit not much more powerful) surely the underdog should take the win...

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i had the least amount of GP last GA (last in the ranking pre-battle), but definately not the underdog.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Buddy
    197 posts Member
    Options
    Nice try, though... ;)
  • Options
    GA should just allow “draw point” and share reward/rank instead of the “there has to be a winner / loser “ logic
  • Kalano
    415 posts Member
    Options
    Who wins the Ryder Cup in case of a tie?
    The defending champion. Higher gp player can be seen as defending champion imo.
    Accordingly it wouldn’t make sense the lower gp player wins in case of a tie
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    The GP spread across a GA bracket is so small as to be irrelevant. Using it in any capacity as a tie breaker is so meaningless that you might as well flip a coin.
  • TAZZZOOO
    245 posts Member
    Options
    GP inflation matchmaking needs to be fixed first
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Paulos999 wrote: »
    Why does higher GP win in Grand Arena after a draw?

Surely if someone with less GP can draw with a more powerful player (albeit not much more powerful) surely the underdog should take the win...

The difference in GP is insignificant. There's no underdog based on GP. The current tie-breaker is just as good as the opposite.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    GA should just allow “draw point” and share reward/rank instead of the “there has to be a winner / loser “ logic

With the current rewards system and matchmaking in round 2 and 3 there has to be a winner. Both are based on amount of wins.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Kluge wrote: »
    A "DRAW" occurs in a single battle. A 'TIE' affects your final score. Chances are, if you have defended to several draws and required your opponent to use 2nd/3rd battles to defeat a team of yours, you will WIN that match and not have it result in a "TIE".

.... really?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Said no one ever:
    I won in a tiebreaker for having the most GP. That’s an unfair tiebreaker, and my opponent should have won. This system is really wrong.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    A "DRAW" occurs in a single battle. A 'TIE' affects your final score. Chances are, if you have defended to several draws and required your opponent to use 2nd/3rd battles to defeat a team of yours, you will WIN that match and not have it result in a "TIE".

.... really?

Nah, they're wrong. A Twin Ion Engine will not affect your final score most of the time.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    draw
    BRITISH
    a game or contest that ends with the score even; a tie.
    synonyms: tie, dead heat, stalemate
    "the match ended in a draw"
  • Options
    Kalano wrote: »
    Who wins the Ryder Cup in case of a tie?
    The defending champion. Higher gp player can be seen as defending champion imo.
    Accordingly it wouldn’t make sense the lower gp player wins in case of a tie

Not a great way to look at it... the higher GP isn’t the defending champ they’re both people just come into a GA one has slightly more GP than the other.

Not sure how that equates to one person deserving the win over the other based on very small GP differences.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    draw
    BRITISH

Right, but in SWGOH, he is correct
  • Options
    i had the least amount of GP last GA (last in the ranking pre-battle), but definately not the underdog.

That’s good for you, however you probably didn’t draw, if you had ended the match with a draw you would have lost.

My question is how that is a fair way to decide the winner, it’s a good enough question. :)
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    draw
    BRITISH

Correct, but irrelevant.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

That’s good for you, however you probably didn’t draw, if you had ended the match with a draw you would have lost.

My question is how that is a fair way to decide the winner, it’s a good enough question. :)

ofcourse i didn't draw since i had a (way) better roster than all 7 of my opponents. I thought the point i was trying to make was pretty obvious; having the least GP doesn't make you the underdog, so there's no reason the player with the lowest GP should be more deserving to win in case of a draw.
    How is it fair? It's basically just a coinflip so it's 50/50 you'll be the one to win instead of the other player. Having the lower GP win instead doesn't change that.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    draw
    BRITISH

Correct, but irrelevant.

Correct, but...

Ok you got me
  • Paulos999
    315 posts Member
    Options

ofcourse i didn't draw since i had a (way) better roster than all 7 of my opponents. I thought the point i was trying to make was pretty obvious; having the least GP doesn't make you the underdog, so there's no reason the player with the lowest GP should be more deserving to win in case of a draw.
    How is it fair? It's basically just a coinflip so it's 50/50 you'll be the one to win instead of the other player. Having the lower GP win instead doesn't change that.

Yeah so it’s a daft system and I got your point... however again doesn’t change the fact that the decision system on a draw is daft.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    What's your solution to ties?
  • Paulos999
    315 posts Member
    Options

I haven’t thought about it I’m just asking the question, I’m not paid for this, however there are people paid to improve the game and develop it, I’m merely putting my point across that their system at the moment isn’t great, I’m sure if i thought about it, it wouldn’t be difficult to come up with something different.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

I haven’t thought about it I’m just asking the question, I’m not paid for this, however there are people paid to improve the game and develop it, I’m merely putting my point across that their system at the moment isn’t great, I’m sure if i thought about it, it wouldn’t be difficult to come up with something different.

Cool. Then think about it, and give a solution.
  • Paulos999
    315 posts Member
    Options

Nah I have a life thanks I’ve brought the question to the forums where they may or may not take it on board... again it’s not my job and I’m not paid to do it.

If I was paid to do it then happily. :)
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

Nah I have a life thanks I’ve brought the question to the forums where they may or may not take it on board... again it’s not my job and I’m not paid to do it.

Ok, so then your complaint holds no real purpose.

Good day.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options

Or there's not a better way.
  • Options

Who ever has the Strongest CUP wins, if Both CUPS are equal move on to MOB Enforcer, if Still tied both players lose and 3rd place wins... except during a solar eclipse. In that case last place wins....

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    My solution to ties is to hang them in the closet and my solution to draws is to put them in the dresser with my drawers, in the drawer above my socks. :D

If we're still talking about the game however, possible solutions to a drawn/tied round include:
    * a virtual coin-flip to determine the winner without bias, or
    * add up total GP deployed (offensive + defensive) for each player and the lower total wins (for being more efficient); in the unlikely event of a draw/tie here, just flip a virtual coin

Both solutions I have proposed many times before.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Your second one is solid. And you weren't even paid to come up with it!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    My solution to ties is to hang them in the closet and my solution to draws is to put them in the dresser with my drawers, in the drawer above my socks. :D

If we're still talking about the game however, possible solutions to a drawn/tied round include:
    * a virtual coin-flip to determine the winner without bias, or
    * add up total GP deployed (offensive + defensive) for each player and the lower total wins (for being more efficient); in the unlikely event of a draw/tie here, just flip a virtual coin

Both solutions I have proposed many times before.

What's the difference between a virtual coinflip and how it currently is though?