Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    What's your solution to ties?
    My solution to ties is to hang them in the closet and my solution to draws is to put them in the dresser with my drawers, in the drawer above my socks. :D

If we're still talking about the game however, possible solutions to a drawn/tied round include:
    * a virtual coin-flip to determine the winner without bias, or
    * add up total GP deployed (offensive + defensive) for each player and the lower total wins (for being more efficient); in the unlikely event of a draw/tie here, just flip a virtual coin

Both solutions I have proposed many times before.

What's the difference between a virtual coinflip and how it currently is though?
    Not a whole lot. The coin flip is just a simple unbiased way of picking a winner without using a meaningless arbitrary value like total GP.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    My solution to ties is to hang them in the closet and my solution to draws is to put them in the dresser with my drawers, in the drawer above my socks. :D

If we're still talking about the game however, possible solutions to a drawn/tied round include:
    * add up total GP deployed (offensive + defensive) for each player and the lower total wins (for being more efficient); in the unlikely event of a draw/tie here, just flip a virtual coin

What's the difference between a virtual coinflip and how it currently is though?
    Not a whole lot. The coin flip is just a simple unbiased way of picking a winner without using a meaningless arbitrary value like total GP.

Right, so why change it if the outcome is effectively the same?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

Because a pure, unbiased 50/50 chance is arguably better than using an arbitrary measure like player A happening to have 0.0001% more total GP than player B ar the start of the tournament.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Because a pure, unbiased 50/50 chance is arguably better than using an arbitrary measure like player A happening to have 0.0001% more total GP than player B ar the start of the tournament.

but who has most GP is pure RNG, so it's effectively the same.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

Because then we might see fewer threads about how unfair it is that higher GP wins?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

You are getting way too hung up on something that just a simple to implement alternative to the current solution.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I don't like when all the good posters fight :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

You are getting way too hung up on something that just a simple to implement alternative to the current solution.

It just seems silly to me to change something only to have effectively the same outcome.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I don't like when Mom and Dad fight.

Fixed.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Paulos999 wrote: »

[...] ... I’m merely putting my point across that their system at the moment isn’t great, ...

Since in round 2 and 3 you're matched against other players with the same amount of wins as you, a winner must be found. If not GP what would you suggest as the tie breaker?

Using GP, the matchmaking algorithm can make sure, that all 8 players in the group have different (but almost the same) GP, and that a winner can always be found. It works.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Using the total amount of GP deployed as the tie breaker, is a terrible idea. It could influence the decisions during the round. Using GP or a coinflip will not influence your decisions.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

Using the total amount of GP deployed as the tie breaker, is a terrible idea. It could influence the decisions during the round.

Which makes it more strategic.

With that said I've never had a tie and the odds still feel long to me, so if someone wants to try and deploy less in order to win a tiebreaker, more advantage to me. Bad strategy is still strategy.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Ehhh. We're talking about a simple mechanic to handle an edge case. It's not worth fighting about.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Ehhh. We're talking about a simple mechanic to handle an edge case. It's not worth fighting about.

Neither was the lost car key but that didn't stop you!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

But your group is picked by an unbiased system (at that micro GP level), and the end resulting GP match is also unbiased....
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Spoiler: it makes absolutely no difference. This is as random as it gets for a condition what will rarely happen.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

Using the total amount of GP deployed as the tie breaker, is a terrible idea. It could influence the decisions during the round.

Which makes it more strategic.

With that said I've never had a tie and the odds still feel long to me, so if someone wants to try and deploy less in order to win a tiebreaker, more advantage to me. Bad strategy is still strategy.

Back to square one:
    Should the player with more GP deployed win the tie break or the player with less GP deployed?

Yes, it could add a strategic aspect, but not one, I'd like. I prefer that the only goal is to score more banners, and that in even matches you optimize everything to reach this one goal.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

But your group is picked by an unbiased system (at that micro GP level), and the end resulting GP match is also unbiased....
    *sigh*

Unless you are privy to the design & implementation details of the matchmaking algorithm, you do not know whether or not it has biases but that doesn't even matter because...

Using GP as a tie-breaker, within any given bracket one player has 100% chance to win any tie, one has 0% chance and everyone else is somewhere in between. Ergo the GP method is inherently biased.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

*sigh*

Unless you are privy to the design & implementation details of the matchmaking algorithm, you do not know whether or not it has biases but that doesn't even matter because...

Using GP as a tie-breaker, within any given bracket one player has 100% chance to win any tie, one has 0% chance and everyone else is somewhere in between. Ergo the GP method is inherently biased.

Is that a real bias though? It's the same bias that raids does. The outcome is decided at the moment of that draw, all of those who posts 0 at a raid or has the same score will be ordered due to the randomization made at the very beginning.

Do you or anyone really plays their matches with the assumption it will end up at a tie? I'm extremely sceptic of that, it's just a situation that can happen as a result which has a foreseeable result...that result is still random as far as we are concerned as we have zero impact on how the algo grabs the 8 with extremely close GPs.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

*sigh*

After players are matched in groups of 8, who will win ties is fixed, yes. There's no randomness in each single tie. However, the randomness lies in the matchmaking.
    I can't possibly imagine, that there's any bias in this regard during matchmaking.

It's no different than during raids. After everybody joined, the order in case of ties is fixed. However, the order when joining is still random. Would you say, there's bias here?
  • Options
    Is the GP in case of a draw set when join time ended ? Or can a person inflate GP like crazy when they know its a draw ?
  • Options
    I suggested that, in the case of a tie, the first tie breaker go to whoever had less offense attempts. Less attempts means more efficiency, but due to their scoring any number of attempts after 2 is considered "even", and that logic is flawed.