GAC's epic failure at making GP gain desirable

The new system has made keeping your GP low more valuable than ever. Here's why:

1. It is harder to reach Kyber in division 1 and 2 than in lower divisions. Let's do some simple math-
Division: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3 - - 1/2

Points for filling the board on Defense: 540 - - 720
Points for clearing the board on Offense: 1020 - - 1200 (assuming 60 banners for each win)
Total available points per matchup: - - 1560 - - 1920
Total points across 12 matchups: - - -18,720 - 23,040
Points needed to reach Kyber: - - - 28,500 - 35,500
Difference: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -9,780 - - 12,460

So division 1/2 players need (12,460-9780=) 2,680 additional points from outside the board to reach Kyber. In practice, this means that div 3 players can reach Kyber if they lose 2 battles during the GAC while div 1/2 players can only lose once.

2. Additional rewards for being in the top divisions are terrible.
Supposedly we should want to climb divisions because there is more loot in the higher prize boxes. But the additional loot added for divisions 4, 2, and 1 is all HAAT gear. No player with 4 million GP wants HAAT gear. If this is supposed to be an incentive give the top division players something useful. I suggest m5 droid callers at div 4, m6 medpacks at div 2, and m12 furnaces at div 1.

If you have lower GP you will always face easier opponents. The incentive for building GP should be substantial to counteract this benefit.

Fortunately we are in the exhibition stage and we can still fix this stuff. These issues are extremely easy to solve. While we're at it, make the reward for completing this month-long event better than the pitiful token payouts we are going to get this time. Please CG!

Replies

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I don't do math, but don't Div 1 and 2 get more points from Feats?

Also are you sure that you can lose twice in 1/2 and be absolutely excluded from Kyber?
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Here are my current feats from Div 3:

jxessuuubure.png
  • Options
    Division 1/2 get to set and fight more teams. That’s the big difference. (Also true for lower division players who end up fighting an opponent in a higher bracket).

But let’s not pretend that lower gp is always easier - I’ve ran into full G13 DR squads at 2.8m (I’m 3.6m) and couldn’t touch them
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with your point. My lean friends on lower gps are having an easy time moving up the leagues. Just want to add this; moving to div 1 is advantageous for someone currently in div 2 because of much less competition (population) while the requirements are the same. Here's the showcase:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/209778/division-1-and-division-2-boards
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Division 1/2 get to set and fight more teams. That’s the big difference. (Also true for lower division players who end up fighting an opponent in a higher bracket).

But let’s not pretend that lower gp is always easier - I’ve ran into full G13 DR squads at 2.8m (I’m 3.6m) and couldn’t touch them

These lean rosters are also getting matched up in higher divisions frequently as their top X gp is solid...which enables them the potential to gain more banners than their fluffly peers at the same division.
  • JemySunsquisher
    102 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »

Also are you sure that you can lose twice in 1/2 and be absolutely excluded from Kyber?

Feats are the same across brackets.

It may be possible, although quite hard for a div 1 player to lose twice and still reach Kyber. They would need to lose in spite of maximizing their points from battles, and still get 2,460 points from feats. I dont know if that many are available.

It would be easier for a div 3 player to lose three times and reach Kyber.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

It would be possible, although quite difficult for a div 1 player to lose twice and still reach Kyber. It would be easier for a div 3 player to lose three times and reach Kyber.

I know the feats are the same. But do they award a different amount of points?

You may be right, but I have 1 loss and can make Kyber if I win next 3. I doubt I could do it with two. I think it would be impossible with 3 losses.
  • Options
    The points are the same. Nothing changes about the feats.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

It may be possible, although quite hard for a div 1 player to lose twice and still reach Kyber. They would need to lose in spite of maximizing their points from battles, and still get 2,460 points from feats. I dont know if that many are available.

I lost 3 matches and am at 25.877 banners (when this last matches 1k drops in) +325 from tactical advance. 26202. Winning the league last week on 1900 banner average will result in 34.902 banners where I'd need 600 more from feats to reach kyber.
  • JemySunsquisher
    102 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I lost 3 matches and am at 25.877 banners (when this last matches 1k drops in) +325 from tactical advance. 26202. Winning the league last week on 1900 banner average will result in 34.902 banners where I'd need 600 more from feats to reach kyber.

That means youve gotten ~2800 points from feats already. I was thinking there was a lot less points than that available from feats, but regardless the point stands that ranking up in div 3 is substantially easier.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

That means youve gotten ~2800 points from feats already. I was thinking there was a lot less points than that available from feats, but regardless the point stands that ranking up in div 3 is substantially easier.

It is, and it's easier to get higher spots in div1 than div2. So where the current scheme pulls players towards is not universal.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Here are my current feats from Div 3:

jxessuuubure.png
    I know the feats are the same. But do they award a different amount of points?

I am in Division 5 and it looks like they take the same number of successes and award the same points regardless of Division, which to my mind is problematic on both counts. The ones that are based on number of squad battles really should be scaled by Division.

aefp77iioan7.png
    And before somebody mis-calls it, I am on Know Thy Enemy 3/3 where VonZant is on 2/3, hence the different numbers.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I’ve had a fatty roster from the start. I was punished for the first dozen Grand Arenas for that. Now I’m doing quite well and looking forward to beefing it up even further.

You think too much. Just play.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Do keep in mind we've had zero GACs, and the exhibition rewards are not final.
    Still not a he.
  • Options

Fortunately we are in the exhibition stage and we can still fix this stuff. These issues are extremely easy to solve.

"epic failure" is quite an exaggeration when you acknowledge the fact that this is obviously only the first "exhibition" run of the GAC and is subject to tweaks, including easy adjustments to the Championship Points
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

but if they change..do you honestly think they would get better..(honestly yae ?) so cross your fingers and lolahope they don't change the deal ...it's bad..gonna stay bad
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

most likely they will reduce the rewards. when have they increased the rewards in any competitive game mode?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Fortunately we are in the exhibition stage and we can still fix this stuff. These issues are extremely easy to solve.

"epic failure" is quite an exaggeration when you acknowledge the fact that this is obviously only the first "exhibition" run of the GAC and is subject to tweaks, including easy adjustments to the Championship Points

"Fellow testers and holotable fanatics" "We are sorry to say that more than 2% of the game was able to reach kyber...our secret illuminati rich people discord was very unhappy with that number and in the future only 200 people of the zounds of players will now reach kyber you must also be in a 250 million +GP guild to qualify" See you on the holotables.
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

"Fellow testers and holotable fanatics" "We are sorry to say that more than 2% of the game was able to reach kyber...our secret illuminati rich people discord was very unhappy with that number and in the future only 200 people of the zounds of players will now reach kyber you must also be in a 250 million +GP guild to qualify" See you on the holotables.

If you look at the top of the leaderboards, it's missing a lot of the players from top GP guilds. Last I looked I didn't see any krackens at the top of Div 1 leaderboard. The point system favors those who full clear and can get undersized victories. I
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Currently there are about 600 people that are eligible to reach kyber in div1, I know because I'm at the lower edge of that number. And 1900 on div 2. Both numbers will reduce by the last week as it supposes a full win where I am bannerwise to reach it. This looks fine to me as the reward structure on kyber only makes a significant difference if you are in the top 200 of kyber.
    Post edited by No_Try on
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I think you do.
    I've got a lean mean roster in Division 1, and as you know, I'm getting absolutely schalacked, but my championship score is still 22,000 vs your 21,000.
    Looks like ranking might be easier though, since I'm still in Chromium, and you're closing in on Kyber.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I went through all ladders and noticed the difference between 1-2 vs 3-4 is 7k , then another 3.5k for 3-4 vs 5-6, then it starts dropping only by 1k. None of it is justifiable by a slot difference. This design looks like CG is set to give small gps a serious push. It also shows pretty well at the top of each leaderboard. Current div 5-6 top is just a defense setup away from kyber even if they don't play further.
  • Options

I’ve lost once and have about 8,150 more points to go. Assuming that I get 1,875 pts per round and win another 2 of the remaining (another 2k pts), I will need another 525 pts from feats. I still have 395 pts from uncompleted feats which leaves me with another 130pts required, which is likely to be achievable since they release 1-2 new feats at every GAC round. Hence it is possible to reach kyber with 2 losses at division 1, but only barely with maybe all but 2-3 small feats done.
  • Options

No. It is not an exaggeration in any way. As I stated this stuff can be easily fixed, but the current incarnation fails to incentivize higher GP with good rewards, and punishes higher GP with a more difficult climb through the league ranks. It is an epic failure.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    yohann269 wrote: »
    most likely they will reduce the rewards. when have they increased the rewards in any competitive game mode?
    If we're being fair? More often than they lower them.

Like, say, every time they've added a new one. Those have all been pretty big increases. Or the time they added crystals to fleet arena. As much as folks love complaining about them halving shard drops from special mission nodes, it was still after they doubled it, so that one's a wash. And the "reduction" in GA rewards was also a wash as they doubled the number of GAs, making it a wash as well.

They give more than they take. People just love blowing the taking out of proportion then whine about it.
    Post edited by YaeVizsla on
    Still not a he.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    yohann269 wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

If you look at the top of the leaderboards, it's missing a lot of the players from top GP guilds. Last I looked I didn't see any krackens at the top of Div 1 leaderboard. The point system favors those who full clear and can get undersized victories. I

it ain't over yet those people sitting at the top still have distinct possiblity of going 0-3 last bracket and ending up nobodys like the other 95% ofthe game