This idea can change the game, and matchmaking, forever.

2Next

Replies

• Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Or learn how to use those ewoks

Ewoks are not worth the investment when those resources could have been spent on so many better things. Ewoks only pay off after you've geared all the squads that are better than them, which is almost all squads in the game.

I dont like "git gud" comments but you need to get good. Ewoks are fantastic against first order which is a mainstay on defense. That alone is worth it
  • Options
    I had an epiphany earlier today and I felt like sharing this, while I was browsing the matchmaking thread for GAC and I saw more comments about GP not being a good metric for match ups, so I thought of a way it can be.

I think the power levels for characters are flawed so I came up with a more dynamic system which will be ever changing and it will determine the power of a character in their current form in the game.

For example, my JTR is g12 and she has 3 Zetas, her power is very high as a result but her relevance in the meta compared to my g13, single zeta Dark Bastila is significantly lower, and yet Bastila's power in game is significantly less than Rey. Similarly, my Jolee Bindo sits lower than many other double Zetas characters but he is what makes Jedi Revan squads work so his power should be much higher.

Instead of calculating a character's GP by the amount of abilities they have and how much they are upgraded you would calculate their GP by how useful they are in GAC. One of the squads I've criticized the most is the ewoks. If you have invested in ewoks with g12 and Zetas you probably have raised your GP significantly but the return isn't as high as some other squads with less total power. In this case the ewoks would take a GP hit, lowering their GP, while characters like Bastila, HK, Malak and Darth Revan would go way up in power due to their relevance in the meta. This would not change how they perform in combat, only the amount of GP the unit has. This should greatly increase the GP of the usual suspects we see in GA all the time while lowering the GP of characters who are usually not strong enough to compete.

Additionally I'd like to introduce "synergy GP", the idea is that there will be premade squad templates that if a player fills they will gain a big GP boost. For example: one template is going to be Darth Revan, Malak, Sith trooper, Bastila and HK, by getting all 5 to G12 you'll get a nice boost to your GP. Another template could be 5 g12 Geos, 5 G12 Separatist droids, 5G12 bounty Hunters, etc. The more powerful the faction the bigger the GP boost from the synergy.

Lastly the impact of low gear will be mitigated, a character's GP will scale faster with gear so adding pieces at low gear tiers should only increase the GP by a tiny amount, while at later gear stages we'll see a more progressive growth in power stats, which means that low gear characters won't have big impact on your GP. This will enable more fair matchmaking which will be based on a more reflective GP.

Take the top 60-80 characters from every player by GP
    Rank each character on a 1-10 scale in the back end in terms of their relevance.

Matchmaking:
    -Grab GP of top 60-80 characters in your roster
    -Grab total "rank" of each character in that set
    -Match players based on GP, C-Rank, #G13, #G12, Zetas (in this order)
  • Options
    When your meta shifts? What is you plan for your meta based power. That everyone gets fluctuations in power?

This system hurts anyone that has tried to focus on good characters. If a low gp player had one good squad and it's sith empire they get punished for focusing on that. Someone with less meta teams but more characters will therefore be matched with them and be better off
  • Options
    #1 - pretty sure that numerous people have suggested some sort of weighting on characters instead of just straight GP so that someone like DR is counts as more than a different character of the same GP. #2 - who decides who is more "useful" in GAC? Who decides who makes up these squad templates? That all sounds way too subjective. #3 - bottom roster characters don't even count towards matchmaking so low gear on weak characters isn't really an issue in GAC.
  • Options

Ewoks are not worth the investment when those resources could have been spent on so many better things. Ewoks only pay off after you've geared all the squads that are better than them, which is almost all squads in the game.

I dont like "git gud" comments but you need to get good. Ewoks are fantastic against first order which is a mainstay on defense. That alone is worth it

I can beat FO with Hermit-Ezra and a couple more throwaway Jedi, no need to waste gear or Zetas on ewoks
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

I can beat FO with Hermit-Ezra and a couple more throwaway Jedi, no need to waste gear or Zetas on ewoks

You still haven't addressed the need for 3p0
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

Could I hear about this counter because my Ewoks are bad, lol.
  • Options

G11 suffices for 3 PO as well as a single zeta on chirpa. In fact you probably can do it with less than g11, I didn't even have them all at g11 when I got 3PO. Anything over g11 and anything more than a single zeta on chirpa is a massive waste
  • Options
    Nihion wrote: »

Could I hear about this counter because my Ewoks are bad, lol.

I'd keep them bad, unless you wanna waste gear. If you wanna beat FO, use QGJ, Ezra, Hermit Yoda, Mace Windu and either Old Ben or Aayla, you can use other Jedi too, but I'd keep Ezra and hermit together, just mod your Ezra for some damage and you don't even need to worry too much about speed and stuff like that
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

G11 suffices for 3 PO as well as a single zeta on chirpa. In fact you probably can do it with less than g11, I didn't even have them all at g11 when I got 3PO. Anything over g11 and anything more than a single zeta on chirpa is a massive waste

Yeah, I left mine alone after the event. But they're still plenty useful. Would I level if not for the event, maybe not. But considering 3p0 is so useful, you cannot argue that ewoks are not.

I'm not saying g12+ and all zetas are necessary.
  • Boros
    507 posts Member
    Options
    I had an epiphany earlier today and I felt like sharing this, while I was browsing the matchmaking thread for GAC and I saw more comments about GP not being a good metric for match ups, so I thought of a way it can be.

I think the power levels for characters are flawed so I came up with a more dynamic system which will be ever changing and it will determine the power of a character in their current form in the game.

For example, my JTR is g12 and she has 3 Zetas, her power is very high as a result but her relevance in the meta compared to my g13, single zeta Dark Bastila is significantly lower, and yet Bastila's power in game is significantly less than Rey. Similarly, my Jolee Bindo sits lower than many other double Zetas characters but he is what makes Jedi Revan squads work so his power should be much higher.

Instead of calculating a character's GP by the amount of abilities they have and how much they are upgraded you would calculate their GP by how useful they are in GAC. One of the squads I've criticized the most is the ewoks. If you have invested in ewoks with g12 and Zetas you probably have raised your GP significantly but the return isn't as high as some other squads with less total power. In this case the ewoks would take a GP hit, lowering their GP, while characters like Bastila, HK, Malak and Darth Revan would go way up in power due to their relevance in the meta. This would not change how they perform in combat, only the amount of GP the unit has. This should greatly increase the GP of the usual suspects we see in GA all the time while lowering the GP of characters who are usually not strong enough to compete.

Additionally I'd like to introduce "synergy GP", the idea is that there will be premade squad templates that if a player fills they will gain a big GP boost. For example: one template is going to be Darth Revan, Malak, Sith trooper, Bastila and HK, by getting all 5 to G12 you'll get a nice boost to your GP. Another template could be 5 g12 Geos, 5 G12 Separatist droids, 5G12 bounty Hunters, etc. The more powerful the faction the bigger the GP boost from the synergy.

Lastly the impact of low gear will be mitigated, a character's GP will scale faster with gear so adding pieces at low gear tiers should only increase the GP by a tiny amount, while at later gear stages we'll see a more progressive growth in power stats, which means that low gear characters won't have big impact on your GP. This will enable more fair matchmaking which will be based on a more reflective GP.

Yeah no, what really needs to happen is an increase in gp when a character hits gear 12 and gear 13, it should still be done character gp since then you can tell who is the better player, if someone has pin pointing farming and only goes after meta squads, he deserve the top spot since you cant really use personal skill like aiming or timeing n this game.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Boros wrote: »

Yeah no, what really needs to happen is an increase in gp when a character hits gear 12 and gear 13, it should still be done character gp since then you can tell who is the better player, if someone has pin pointing farming and only goes after meta squads, he deserve the top spot since you cant really use personal skill like aiming or timeing n this game.

Which is what it sounds like is the current plan, with giving all the g12 pieces more impact on GP.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Which is what it sounds like is the current plan, with giving all the g12 pieces more impact on GP.

@Kyno sure doesn't sound like it's the current plan to me. Sounds like it's maybe the current plan.
    Q: Are there plans to add more weight to G13 in matchmaking?
    A: Tophat - We've actually talked about making G12 carry more Galactic Power, so that it can better discriminate overall power in a collection better. We've been doing math at it for a bit, verdict is still out if this does the thing we want it to. We're investigating, but we're trying to take measured small steps - we don't want to throw a huge wrench into match making that we know a number of players are already sensitive to.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Kyno sure doesn't sound like it's the current plan to me. Sounds like it's maybe the current plan.
    Q: Are there plans to add more weight to G13 in matchmaking?
    A: Tophat - We've actually talked about making G12 carry more Galactic Power, so that it can better discriminate overall power in a collection better. We've been doing math at it for a bit, verdict is still out if this does the thing we want it to. We're investigating, but we're trying to take measured small steps - we don't want to throw a huge wrench into match making that we know a number of players are already sensitive to.

That's why we pay you the big bucks.
  • AceCV
    994 posts Member
    Options
    You can't have subjectivity and human analysis in this matters. The algorithm should work automatically and with clear and equal rules (that everyone should know).

It's almost impossible to have a all variables working on this (too many and too subjective...since the chars/ships don't work alone... they need teams and synergies). Even the same variables, like zetas for instance, have complete different real values, and they worth the same in Revan or in Sidious.

Now, if they just focus on the top problems, they will see what they need to fix.... and the things that are affecting A LOT the matchmaking are g13 (or even g12 pieces) and 6 dots mods. The power scale this 2 components have are not shown in GP.... AT ALL. The GP difference doesn't shows the real difference of this. Without that fixed its completely irrelevant to. talk about synergies, meta teams, zeta differences, etc.

Now, as someone said, to fix this they will blow TB reference values...they can try to minimize it by lowering the GP on lower levels of gear, abilities and mods but ofc this will have impact on PvE mode.

Choices.... when you don't do things right at 1st time, you will always have tough choices to do later if you wanna fix it.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    Ewoks are so worthless. Utter trash. They only got me 4 battles on defense my last round of GAC. Pointless furballs.
  • Options
    Kokie wrote: »
    Ewoks are so worthless. Utter trash. They only got me 4 battles on defense my last round of GAC. Pointless furballs.

Just because some fools underestimate them and throw their trash at them it don't mean ewoks are actually good. Are they dangerous? Sure if the other guy underestimates them, but that's the same thing with alot of squads not just the ewoks
  • Options

Just because some fools underestimate them and throw their trash at them it don't mean ewoks are actually good. Are they dangerous? Sure if the other guy underestimates them, but that's the same thing with alot of squads not just the ewoks

So, Ewoks ARE dangerous and shouldn't be underestimated.
  • Options

But so is pretty much anything, I simply don't think they are worth the resources past g11, not if you're missing more important factions. This whole thing started when I said that people complain that they inflated their GP too much by gearing squads like Ewoks and Jawas, I said they deserve to lose if they geared ewoks while their NS or their BH are undergeared, and this is who this whose madness started.

I still stand by my statement, if you geared ewoks before NS or other major factions then you made a mistake that's all I ever said
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

But so is pretty much anything, I simply don't think they are worth the resources past g11, not if you're missing more important factions. This whole thing started when I said that people complain that they inflated their GP too much by gearing squads like Ewoks and Jawas, I said they deserve to lose if they geared ewoks while their NS or their BH are undergeared, and this is who this whose madness started.

I still stand by my statement, if you geared ewoks before NS or other major factions then you made a mistake that's all I ever said

Taking then from 0 to g12 might be silly, but most ppl already had them around g11 for 3p0. Finishing them off at that point isn't crazy.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    Terrible idea.

Not only is it penalizing smart players but it also penalizes whales.

Better off not wasting time and resources on this
  • Options

I guess I should talk about how many times I have won GA matches due to someone going 2 or 3 trys on my ewoks...

Or how many times my underpowered Ewoks have beaten g12 First Order Teams