Anything in the works to replace the Crystal Subscription

Prev1
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

There used to be a monthly crystal subscription for $9.99 that was a great deal and something players loved to spend on. However it was unexpectedly removed with the promise that something would take its place in the future...but still nothing.

@CG_Tophat @CG_SBCrumb

Any hope of ever getting this back into the works?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Last word we had about this was, no. They are still looking into it, but it's not something they can bring back in any meaningful way due to partner agreements that prohibit "subscriptions ".
  • Options
    When I first started playing I bought this religiously. Since it went away I've made two purchases...once when I moved to CO from SC i got one of the big crystal packs(sold my home) and a month or so ago my wife and I bought the nice lil $8 gear packs.

This games built with rich folks in mind. People with way too much disposable income. Everything's way overpriced and I've been crying the same thing since 2015. Yall charge too much for the stuff you offer...it isnt worth it .

But the day you bring back something like the $10 daily packs you,ll have my purchase every single month. Til then...nope.

The well priced gear packs were nice too! But we've only bought them once because you never have them available except for brief randomly assigned times. Sorry, dont got money in my pocket to spend at any given time like that, I gotta budget things every month... which I would alot to you guys a small portion....if it was worth it and could be relied upon to be available!

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    I spend rarely, but if those $7.99 packs were offered every month, I'd buy it every month.
  • Options
    It went away because of the European union laws. Most subscriptions for most games stopped because of the laws.
  • Boros
    507 posts Member
    Options
    Mousie wrote: »
    It went away because of the European union laws. Most subscriptions for most games stopped because of the laws.

Which is a good thing :D soon they will slap a 19+ age restriction on games with microtransactions, and then microtransactions will go away. Companies are too greedy, u gotta let the government put them in their places
  • Options
    Wasnt it for 9.99 you got 100 crystals a day for the month?

I get the subscription laws of the EU crashed that. But why couldnt there be one 9.99 pack a month of 3000 crystals?
  • Options
    I used to buy the $9.99 marquee packs that would be a nice way to get a 4* new character, but since they went up I don't bother anymore. Agree that prices are just too much. It's whale or nothing it seems.
  • Options

I get the subscription laws of the EU crashed that. But why couldnt there be one 9.99 pack a month of 3000 crystals?

That’s the type of outside the box thinking that would work but they never implemented. It was 21 days of crystals of 100 a day plus a bonus 100 to start. So 2200 total.
    That would actually be a great idea to do once a month. A 2200 crystal pack for $9.99 and boom, you get around the subscription stuff.
  • Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Mousie wrote: »

Then why do other games still have a subscriptions? I used to play empires and puzzles and just checked, their sub is still up and running. They have a ton of players in Europe.

Think there is more to the story than that.

I think it depends on how the subscription works. I don't remember these monthly crystal packs, but didn't you have to log in every day to get all of the crystals? If that's the case, then the subscription might be against the rules because, technically, someone could pay for 2200 crystals but not get 2200 crystals because they missed a log in.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yes, logging in was part of the deal. I purchased it a few times, and only missed 1 log in.
  • Hortus
    623 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    There are a plenty of mobile games which have subscriptions and working worldwide, so I don't think EU laws has anything to do with that. Usually daily stuff just sent to people by in-game mail, so they don't miss anything if they don't logged in on particular day.

And speaking on SWGOH... I'm playing SWGOH for 2 or 3 years, and other mobile game for about half a year. One-time purchases in both games are priced on more or less same level. Yet I already spent much more money in another game just because they aren't greedy and offer nice subscriptions and loyalty options ("subscribed" currency is about ten times cheaper that regular purchases, for example) along with occasional sale bonuses.

Had I have same option in SWGOH i'd definitely used it. But if this game doesn't want my money... well, it's not my problem. :) SWGOH is relatively friendly for f2p and whales, and, in most cases, just pure waste of money for anyone in between imo.
  • Options

Yeah I'd buy that every single month
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    ... it's not something they can bring back in any meaningful way due to partner agreements that prohibit "subscriptions ".

What does that mean, exactly? What “partner agreements”?
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    ... it's not something they can bring back in any meaningful way due to partner agreements that prohibit "subscriptions ".

I doubt anyone who doesn't work for CG (or maybe only EA) knows that.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Rich stuff mikey, Rich stuff
  • Options
    They could offer a pack that has a "return customer discount" if you bought it the previous day. So you buy a 100 crystal pack for $1 today, then tomorrow it appears for $0.75 and is available for 24 hours. If purchased, it shows up again the next day for $0.75, but if not purchased, it resets to $1.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

There are several companies that are partners and have agreements with EA/CG to make this game possible. We were told that one of those is what caused it to be removed and is the primary reason it cant come back as a "subscription"
  • Options
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »

There are several companies that are partners and have agreements with EA/CG to make this game possible. We were told that one of those is what caused it to be removed and is the primary reason it cant come back as a "subscription"

But why? What’s wrong with subscriptions? Do they take anything away from that “partner”? Seems like bring back subscriptions would be a cash cow.

Even if not a subscription, the idea of a once a month bundle available for $9.99 for the equivalent of the old crystal subscription would still be enough. 2200 crystals for $10. Sounds good to me 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    EA controls taxes?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I don’t remember it ever seeng it was a subscription. It was labeled as a daily crystal booster and for 21 days you received 100 crystals.
    A subscription gives you access to the game platform like WoW or bonus content like map packs similar to Call of Duty of bonus content like Assassins Creed.

This game is free to play, spending optional.
    Post edited by USAFmedic129 on
  • Hortus
    623 posts Member
    Options
    JDIII wrote: »
    Does anyone actually believe a company would say: Hey, we don’t like making money, get rid of that subscription and **** players off while your at it.

Hardly. But certainly there are some people who believe a company would say "Hey, we like money very much, and we think players should spend thousands of dollars in the game. Therefore, we will cancel least expensive options and introduce more expensive".