Players quitting

Prev1345
I was looking at our Arena ranks and I see former whales with full 7* teams that may have stopped playing 2 months ago. I am counting 5 in the top five like Alex V.N. and Xindi and many others.

Do any new players get added to Arena? How does this work? It's very easy to see when players stop playing...they just drop south in Arena.

Why are these (whale) players leaving?

Replies

• Tj5
    34 posts Member
    Options
    Because the game isnt going anywhere.. its impossible to stay at the top of the rankings now since everyone is maxed out and caught up to level 70. Unless they add more levels or something this game will crash and burn.
  • Options
    Whales come and go
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    I'm not a whale, but have been close to throwing in the towel a few times. My guess is lack of content, nerfing characters, and realizing spending thousands doesn't really give a huge advantage if any at all. You would think CG would try to find ways to make someone spending thousands on a mobile game feel special. But it's just a money grab for the next chromium victim..
  • Options
    It's going to get worst because the update isn't coming soon. Just watch as the complaints increase about ppl free falling in arena. It's going to get crazy and harder to stay in ranks without spend gems.
  • Options
    About 2 months ago is when they started banning hackers. So the "whales" may have just been cheaters.
  • Options
    Whales generally have a full squad of 7* characters, including grievious. Not much for them to achieve playing arena
  • Options
    May be my imagination but I noticed the most whale-drops coincide with them dropping fast in Arena (get pushed to 15, get pushed to top 20, go back to 1, get pushed to 22, get back to one, etc) after cap is hit and every FTP catches up.

I think if CG values money they need to find a way to make leveling and gearing fast an eroding advantage, but not due to caps.

I think caps really out the break on their speed. As each gear level takes more time to grind, eventually F2P will always catch up. But the cap really feels like "hey stop except siding so the chubby guys can arch up to you" or to "take plane and and arrival, wait until those on buses arrive".

I am sure there are some other reasons and I don't read minds. Just how I think it frustrated to have the "red light"...they end up quitting there
  • Options
    People are fickle, and anyone who doesn't need crystals doesn't care as much and free or low spenders do about arena. The only real difference in winning arena is some crystals and some arena coins. Lots of people have way too many of both (right now nothing to spend crystals on and no one new in arena or other shipments in a while).

Whales can take a break for a week (month) and not lose anything. They are probably just waiting for new content. They don't need to play every day
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • G1lly
    33 posts Member
    Options
    I was afk for a month and this doesnt motivates me to play again...lol
  • Options
    F2PP for life ! :)
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Amalthea wrote: »
    About 2 months ago is when they started banning hackers. So the "whales" may have just been cheaters.

You're definitely onto something. They are trying to curb exploiters. They fail miserably, but they are trying. I knew I should have paid more attention to computer science in college.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    It's going to get worst because the update isn't coming soon. Just watch as the complaints increase about ppl free falling in arena. It's going to get crazy and harder to stay in ranks without spend gems.

What do you mean the update is not coming soon? It sounds like it might be a week or two away.
  • Mittens
    967 posts Member
    Options
    Probably because it gets exponentially more expensive the further you try to progress. After you get your main arena/GW teams, you still have to spend thousands of crystals on refreshes to continue gearing up other characters. When it's totally possible to go 0/15 on 8 energy refreshes while needing 100+ purple gear for a single level, the grind starts to get old. Really old. Really fast. Spending money on minimal gains for little advantage tends to turn away big spenders.
  • Options
    As each gear level takes more time to grind, eventually F2P will always catch up.

Yes, F2P grind for characters and P2P pay for them. But everyone has to suffer trying to get the purple blow dryers and handcuffs. Hitting the sim button is getting old for me with a handful of 7* toons can't imagine how many times it's been hit by a whale with all 7* toons. Plus they gave them Grevious who is useless in the arena and QGJ and Ben are now farmable. I've never seen a VIP treated so poorly..
  • Options
    swgohTesla wrote: »
    As each gear level takes more time to grind, eventually F2P will always catch up.

Yes, F2P grind for characters and P2P pay for them. But everyone has to suffer trying to get the purple blow dryers and handcuffs. Hitting the sim button is getting old for me with a handful of 7* toons can't imagine how many times it's been hit by a whale with all 7* toons. Plus they gave them Grevious who is useless in the arena and QGJ and Ben are now farmable. I've never seen a VIP treated so poorly..

Agreed, I love my crappy FTP team staying in top 5. I can only imagine the frustration of whales who spent lots of $$ and see exclusives become FTP in 3 months.
  • Myzyri
    66 posts Member
    Options
    Bait and switch which characters are best enough times...force the grind of new sets, make it that F2P are just as strong as P2P and pretty soon people won't pay any more. Then good bye game.

It sounds like they're now doing a major overhaul of how the game works. The last game that I played that did that I ended up asking for an entire refund of my expenses from Apple. You can't **** the rug out from under people over and over and expect them to take it...especially when they're paying money to you.
  • Options
    Myzyri wrote: »
    Bait and switch which characters are best enough times...force the grind of new sets, make it that F2P are just as strong as P2P and pretty soon people won't pay any more. Then good bye game.

It sounds like they're now doing a major overhaul of how the game works. The last game that I played that did that I ended up asking for an entire refund of my expenses from Apple. You can't **** the rug out from under people over and over and expect them to take it...especially when they're paying money to you.

This is why it makes the next update so intriguing.
  • Options
    There are whales quitting due to lack of content...
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Myzyri wrote: »

Yeah, I am pretty close to quitting. I hated the grind to 70 (still have not farmed a single hairdryer). I was just starting to have fun again. I got my main squad in place and I was investing into new toons and experimenting. Now it will be back to the grind, just more expensive, and with even more difficult gear to obtain. This was not the update I was looking for. I was hoping for new challenges, arena change, new toons, guilds, and ships.

After the back and forth changes, it just gets old and it feels like my time can better be spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    EM650 wrote: »

What do you mean the update is not coming soon? It sounds like it might be a week or two away.

I think he is referring to the next "major update". The level cap is coming in the next few weeks but Jesse mentioned how most of the attention is towards the next "major update", which they hope to release more information about "soon". Many of us are hoping this will be an update that introduces new content to increase the amount of daily playtime for users.
  • Darth_Malak
    577 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

The update will come short before the blu ray release of the SWTFA. Which is on April the 5, on itunes few days before the 5th. Probably, again with the data pack( kylo,ren,etc) boring.
  • Options

The update will come short before the blu ray release of the SWTFA. Which is on April the 5, on itunes few days before the 5th. Probably, again with the data pack( kylo,ren,etc) boring.

I think that's a bit optimistic. If you're giving me over/under April 5, I'd take the over every time. I think April 14 is more likely (unless they're too busy filing their taxes, in which case April 21).
  • Options
    In games people come and people go.
    You know attention spans are sometimes a ver.. Umm.. Very.. Umm.. OMG! LOOK! New hamster videos! :o

<runs away to watch>
  • Options

Amalthea wrote: »

I think that's a bit optimistic. If you're giving me over/under April 5, I'd take the over every time. I think April 14 is more likely (unless they're too busy filing their taxes, in which case April 21).

It's a good oportunity for EA to make cash. So at least a week after the bluray release the update will come. But i'm sure it will come almoust at the same time. $$$$$$$$EA$$$$$$$$$
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    When f2p is as good as p2p, whales leave. No advantage to paying ...so you move to a game that does
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Many of them are not whales, but Megalodons, and will come and eat you when the food is good enough for them ;)
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Nitric
    134 posts Member
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    When f2p is as good as p2p, whales leave. No advantage to paying ...so you move to a game that does

This guy has a good point. If I was spending thousands and gain no advantage I move to a game that gives me an advantage.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe because 30 Sim Tickets, 240 Energy used for 1 single gear item, where you need 20 of it, just to craft one part of 3 for 1 of 5 chars needing it, doesnt entertain enough?
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    In games people come and people go.
    You know attention spans are sometimes a ver.. Umm.. Very.. Umm.. OMG! LOOK! New hamster videos! :o

<runs away to watch>

Don't you sleep?

why? Do want to watch me sleep? :#