When is enough? You have lost content creators!

Prev1
CLS
70 posts Member
This game has taken a turn for the worst. Losing top YouTube content creators to a panda game. Again a panda game. I think it’s time the developers show us if they really care for the game and community. Or if they just want to milk as much money from the players before they shut down the servers. I’ve seen content creators get emotional because they really care for the game but have had enough of this mess of 5* unlocks that are completely WORTHLESS. To much gear needed to reach gear 13. And also to reach tier 7 relics. I believe in the next few weeks tops, the developers are going to either show they care or they just don’t and want to get this game over with.

Replies

• K331
    168 posts Member
    Options
    Go to Dragon Warriors...
  • Options
    Panda warriors galore!
  • Options
    CLS wrote: »
    This game has taken a turn for the worst. Losing top YouTube content creators to a panda game. Again a panda game. I think it’s time the developers show us if they really care for the game and community. Or if they just want to milk as much money from the players before they shut down the servers. I’ve seen content creators get emotional because they really care for the game but have had enough of this mess of 5* unlocks that are completely WORTHLESS. To much gear needed to reach gear 13. And also to reach tier 7 relics. I believe in the next few weeks tops, the developers are going to either show they care or they just don’t and want to get this game over with.

Who cares about these self proclaimed gods so called content creators. All they are is full of themselves and way to many people listen to them like there words are the end all be all.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think this game this game has any shortage of bear and furries
  • Options
    I thought the game was over when they introduced mods. Oh wait, it was also over with ship 2.0, CLS, HSR, Revans, Malak, TW, GA, G13, Relics. And I'm certainly missing a few. For a game that already died a good dozen times, it still does pretty well imo. Or maybe I'm dead too and seeing dead pixel…
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    DarthDec wrote: »
    I thought the game was over when they introduced mods. Oh wait, it was also over with ship 2.0, CLS, HSR, Revans, Malak, TW, GA, G13, Relics. And I'm certainly missing a few. For a game that already died a good dozen times, it still does pretty well imo. Or maybe I'm dead too and seeing dead pixel…

have we ever lost "content creators" though? haha
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    The panda game is paying them. They'll be back once the money dries up.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

They're not waiting on their paychecks?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

And there you have it.
    TVF, unpaid, gets accused of being a shill very often by "the community"
    Some youtuber, paid, gets praised for sharing "their" opinion by "the community".
    Ain't it funny how that works?
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

And there you have it.
    Some youtuber, paid, gets praised for sharing "their" opinion by "the community".

Almost as though “the community” is made of of various people, some of whom have different opinions of different issues.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of how the ultimate defense to "the game is dying" is that "people said that last time"
    As though that illegitimizes the claim.
    Yes it's hyperbole but there are certain facts, the game is unrealistically increasing the gearing demand of individual toons without providing sufficient alleviation (could be framed as opinion, i recognise but name me a successful game that does this without the alleviation, i am curious), and star wars as a fanchise is not in a good way and the last movie is not going to save it, the fact that it has reached a point where it needs 'saving' already speaks volumes
  • Options
    What I can say is that from my perspective, this game seems to be losing more end-game players than at any time since launch.

I’ve been here from the start, and there have been various issues pop-up that ticked off a lot of the community, and some players left as a result each time.
    However at this point in the game, I’m seeing way more leave than at any other point. And what’s just as concerning is that if the players who haven’t left, I see a LOT contemplating it every day.

Our guild hovers around top-10 GP. Every week I see players quitting, others hanging on by a thread, others becoming less and less engaged, players deciding to stop spending, etc.
    I also know it’s not just us as we continually get new recruits in from other guilds who are falling apart for the same reasons.

The fact that this has grown to include several game changers and you tubers is not really surprising.
    The fact that it seems to be a generic D&D clone that is drawing players away is also quite telling - the SW name/theme is no longer enough to overcome the negativity that so many players are feeling.

The other side of the coin is the developers. IMO they seem to be doing less and less to address this issue than ever before. I’m not sure if it’s over-confidence (“Let them leave, we don’t need them anyway!”) or acceptance that things are winding down. I know I’m not alone in the fact that I have 0% confidence in them to resolve any problems - we all knew the Malak “fix” would be screwed up. And I know I’m not alone in my lack-of-shock that the disappearing button solution didn’t work. The truth is that we all have come to expect that nothing will work properly, even after it is “fixed”.
  • Options
    Lysandrax wrote: »
    Yes it's hyperbole but there are certain facts, the game is unrealistically increasing the gearing demand of individual toons without providing sufficient alleviation (could be framed as opinion, i recognise but name me a successful game that does this without the alleviation, i am curious), and star wars as a fanchise is not in a good way and the last movie is not going to save it, the fact that it has reached a point where it needs 'saving' already speaks volumes

You keep using the word "fact"..... Other than Solo underperforming, I'm not sure what the basis is for saying that the franchise "is not in a good way" or that needs "saving."
    kello_511 wrote: »
    What I can say is that from my perspective, this game seems to be losing more end-game players than at any time since launch.

I’ve been here from the start, and there have been various issues pop-up that ticked off a lot of the community, and some players left as a result each time.
    However at this point in the game, I’m seeing way more leave than at any other point. And what’s just as concerning is that if the players who haven’t left, I see a LOT contemplating it every day.

Our guild hovers around top-10 GP. Every week I see players quitting, others hanging on by a thread, others becoming less and less engaged, players deciding to stop spending, etc.
    I also know it’s not just us as we continually get new recruits in from other guilds who are falling apart for the same reasons.

The fact that this has grown to include several game changers and you tubers is not really surprising.
    The fact that it seems to be a generic D&D clone that is drawing players away is also quite telling - the SW name/theme is no longer enough to overcome the negativity that so many players are feeling.

The game has been around for almost 4 years, which is a very long time to keep people engaged in a mobile game. It's not necessarily surprising that end-game players are leaving, as they've been playing for a long time. What we don't have access to, which the devs do, is the number of new players coming into the game, and the engagement (time and money) of mid-game players.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Lysandrax wrote: »

You keep using the word "fact"..... Other than Solo underperforming, I'm not sure what the basis is for saying that the franchise "is not in a good way" or that needs "saving."

The game has been around for almost 4 years, which is a very long time to keep people engaged in a mobile game. It's not necessarily surprising that end-game players are leaving, as they've been playing for a long time. What we don't have access to, which the devs do, is the number of new players coming into the game, and the engagement (time and money) of mid-game players.

I will say that last time we asked (post relics, pre malak debacle 1), we were told the health metrics looked good.

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    I will say that last time we asked (post relics, pre malak debacle 1), we were told the health metrics looked good.

Without seeing actual data, that's (to me) a meaningless assessment, and exactly what I'd expect a public facing statement to say. I wouldn't expect a dev to come on here and say "things look pretty bad at the moment" even if they were. But I certainly think that if the metrics looked bad there would be some adjustments being made to deal with that.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

The other side of the coin is the developers. IMO they seem to be doing less and less to address this issue than ever before. I’m not sure if it’s over-confidence (“Let them leave, we don’t need them anyway!”) or acceptance that things are winding down. I know I’m not alone in the fact that I have 0% confidence in them to resolve any problems - we all knew the Malak “fix” would be screwed up. And I know I’m not alone in my lack-of-shock that the disappearing button solution didn’t work. The truth is that we all have come to expect that nothing will work properly, even after it is “fixed”.

While I agree each negative development causes differing degrees of player loss, I also think this is the natural attrition of these type of games. Long term players including me are always looking for that final tipping point which will provide them the rationale to put it down. It may be an emotional issue for us, but for cg it's merely damage control all the time.

And yea, I agree g13+relics were too much for everyone. For reasons of their own (cg), they needed to temporarily slow down the steep financial decline. But in the long term even if there are some exciting developments and some long term player dreams coming true, the game is on it's inevitable decline where it will have squezze remaining deep pockets more and more and driving the class divide further. I've seen this scenario play out in CGs previous game, devs got moved to secret project (swgoh), community shrank to whomever is fine with the new way of things...and amusingly it's still alive (down to 20k $ revenues xD). None of this surprises me. Each player has to decide for their own given this picture.

Another copy cat game launching at this crucial point in the life cycle of swgoh is unlucky for swgoh devs. But it's not like that offers anything better than this one. It's just at point it's zero and gives a fake impression of freshness since things are moving super fast in the beginning and you get more kicks out of it. Does it say anything about swgoh itself? How could have this game evolved in a way to prevent that? I don't see it happening.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Without seeing actual data, that's (to me) a meaningless assessment, and exactly what I'd expect a public facing statement to say. I wouldn't expect a dev to come on here and say "things look pretty bad at the moment" even if they were. But I certainly think that if the metrics looked bad there would be some adjustments being made to deal with that.

They didnt say that here, and I cant share exact details if what was said, but no it was not a meaningless assessment.

They are always slow to make changes, so we dont know what future plans have been made or changed based on the feedback that comes from situations like this.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

And there you have it.

Almost as though “the community” is made of of various people, some of whom have different opinions of different issues.

Thanks captain obvious, but surely you're not trying to imply that those are two entirely different groups of people though right?
    i mean, there's very obviously an overlap. It's also not like those two groups of thought are the opposite of eachother.
    Also, i put "the community" in quotationmarks for a reason.
  • Options
    I must say. It's incredible to see how "uplifting and supportive" our toxic little community is.
    /s

Maybe it's better if Star Wars just dies off. Less of the world trying to emulate Darth "**** is good" Vader and Co.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    Wow. Really? The F-ism word that describes the 3rd Reich is banned?

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of your dollars I guess.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options

There are over 3000 accounts for sale on third party account brokers right now. 10% of those are over 4M+, which represents a couple of years investment and/or some serious money. ~20 of the top 1000 GP accounts appear to have retired in some form or another (no guild, little to no arena activity), 10 or so of those within the past 30 days (as evidenced by arena activity). Interestingly, it was 5 retirees in 1-500, then 10 in the 501-1000 range. It would be interesting to see if that trend line continued as GP continued to reduce - the thought being the higher the GP the more invested these players are and the less likely they are to lose.

All that said - 98% of the top 1000 GP accounts are still active. This is probably enough of a population to keep the lights on for years.
    Couldn't agree more with this. Although there's something liberating about not worrying about if ice mage is more powerful than fire mage because of some prior relationship they had in the lore, not having that lore leads one to care significantly less about those characters. So, the fact that it appears to be pulling in a significant number of players from this game speaks volumes (see below before anyone posts the "statistics please" response in blind defense of this game).

They have four years of legacy code they have to contend with. Many systems that have undergone significant enhancements over that span of time will start to crumble under the weight of their own complexity. I'm not saying they're there since I have no idea, but it could be a factor in their inability to move quickly and/or correctly on things.

*Note on numbers: No, I do not have exact numbers on how many players of the "other" game are from SWGOH, but they have a global chat and it is continuously filled with players identifying as SWGOH refugees. My anecdotal experience is that I went from a guild (25 person guilds there) that was partially filled to a four guild alliance that was looking for new GLs to expand in less than a week. Many of the major guilds (TI, ANZGC as examples) appear to have reformed over there. I ran into two players I had guilded with in the past year alone. I played for six days.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    I must say. It's incredible to see how "uplifting and supportive" our toxic little community is.
    /s

Maybe it's better if Star Wars just dies off. Less of the world trying to emulate Darth "**** is good" Vader and Co.

Just because you're annoyed with some part of the Star Wars community doesn't me we should just remove it from everyone.

(And that's me saying it with having been plenty annoyed with parts of the community as well)
  • Options
    /s

Just because you're annoyed with some part of the Star Wars community doesn't me we should just remove it from everyone.

Wow. Perfect example TVF, thank you Mr. 16439 Posts (And counting!)

I didn't say anyone should remove it from anywhere.

I'm just noting what a bunch of A**H***S the community generally is.

Just waiting to pile on and insult the next poster who happens to word something wrong or have an idea we disagree with.

Pathetic.

• TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    /s

Just waiting to pile on and insult the next poster who happens to word something wrong or have an idea we disagree with.

Pathetic.

You said "maybe it's better if Star Wars just dies off." If I misunderstood what you meant by that, it was an honest misunderstanding. There was no insult on my part, at all.

Have an absolutely wonderful fantastic happy day.
  • Options
    /s

Pathetic.

You said "maybe it's better if Star Wars just dies off." If I misunderstood what you meant by that, it was an honest misunderstanding.

Have an absolutely wonderful fantastic happy day.

LMAO, I can understand the confusion I guess.
    I don't want to remove it. I want it to die off on it's own.
    I'm not looking to force my will on anyone.

But I think the fandom is toxic. Moreso than any other fandom I can think of at the moment.

• TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I mean, if you really do want SW to die off, I don't feel like I misunderstood you. I agree with you about certain segments of the fandom, but you can just ignore them, and enjoy what SW still has to offer.
  • Options
    I mean, if you really do want SW to die off, I don't feel like I misunderstood you. I agree with you about certain segments of the fandom, but you can just ignore them, and enjoy what SW still has to offer.

I enjoy it quite thoroughly. But I also go into each movie (never watched the cartoons, I just can't do it) just wanting to be entertained. I don't get mad that Rey is or isn't special. I don't hate Rose (don't really like her either, but no reason for all the venom.), I'm not mad that Kylo is really the good guy that's so pure he can't seem to fall to the dark side no matter how hard he tries even though for every other being in the universe it's: "Be careful..it will ensnare you before you know it!!

*Edit. I will allow that there can be no excuse for Jar-Jar.
    <Insert Murder/Death/Kill slogan here>
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more with this. Although there's something liberating about not worrying about if ice mage is more powerful than fire mage because of some prior relationship they had in the lore, not having that lore leads one to care significantly less about those characters. So, the fact that it appears to be pulling in a significant number of players from this game speaks volumes (see below before anyone posts the "statistics please" response in blind defense of this game).

But at the same time, absence of lore is the biggest disadvantage because you don’t have that attachment to your favorite characters from the lore. I tried the other game. It is good but absence of known lore wouldn’t make me play for long. Funny enough if that game used even Harry Potter lore, I wouldn’t be here, lol. Not talking about something like Tolkien or Game of Thrones, that would make me super excited.

They have four years of legacy code they have to contend with. Many systems that have undergone significant enhancements over that span of time will start to crumble under the weight of their own complexity. I'm not saying they're there since I have no idea, but it could be a factor in their inability to move quickly and/or correctly on things.

Judging by continuous stream of bugs, this game has very serious problem with testability. The cost of bugs is felt by community twice - first in the game and secondly by delaying any possible future content because devs need to work on fixing the game instead of working on new features. Malak was especially bad because after first revert game ended in state which is buggy by itself - 6* Malaks with 6dot mods etc. Devs may need to write whole new tools to fix that if they want to revert that as well.