Best defence teams for GAC?

Replies

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Depends on division to some extent. Defense works better in lower-GP divisions because the amount of teams either side has is limited. The higher you get, the more likely it is that your opponent will have viable counters to everything you put on defense.

Generally the best defensive teams are either:

A: Difficult to counter. This usually means your S-tier teams like Revan or Padme. They're likely to get holds but also leave you with fewer "trump cards" on offense.

B: Easily underestimated. Personally I think this is the better route to aim for; keep your truly awesome teams for offense, and make your opponent stumble by putting down teams that look easy to undersize but are sneaky-good. This can be accomplished either with a novel combination of characters that isn't commonly used, or with unusually good mods on a team that people are used to seeing with junky stats.

For option B can you suggest any sneaky teams to catch people out?
  • Options
    Richfxxx wrote: »
    Depends on division to some extent. Defense works better in lower-GP divisions because the amount of teams either side has is limited. The higher you get, the more likely it is that your opponent will have viable counters to everything you put on defense.

A: Difficult to counter. This usually means your S-tier teams like Revan or Padme. They're likely to get holds but also leave you with fewer "trump cards" on offense.

B: Easily underestimated. Personally I think this is the better route to aim for; keep your truly awesome teams for offense, and make your opponent stumble by putting down teams that look easy to undersize but are sneaky-good. This can be accomplished either with a novel combination of characters that isn't commonly used, or with unusually good mods on a team that people are used to seeing with junky stats.

Nute lead has caught a lot of ppl off guard lately. Occasionally quira/nest does. Clones are underestimated often.
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Nute lead has caught a lot of ppl off guard lately. Occasionally quira/nest does. Clones are underestimated often.

Nite leading who?
  • Options

Nite leading who?

Currently I've been using dooku, gg, ventress, and b2.
  • Options

Nite leading who?

Thanks for the tip 👍
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Many great suggestions in this thread, especially looking at opponent and acting accordingly.

My Scoundrel team has won me more than a few matches because opponent got stuck on them. For this reason, it is better to hide them in the back, so by the time they get to it they may not have any solutions left, like DN in particular. Vandor and his Zeta are VERY important for this team, as is having two taunts to keep him and Nest protected. I use L3 and Zaal (I don't have an OR team or might not get the luxury to use Zaal) and they work great under a Q'ira lead, where they regen protection along with Vandor also regening protection for them. Zaal also has natural crit avoidance, and gains even more under Q'ira. Many like to save Nest for Offense, but for me anyway I have more than enough for that, and prefer her on D, under Q'ira. If a match is going to be tight, then a solo nest offense win can make the difference for sure
  • Options

Nite leading who?

Nute/Jango pairs with a good Taunt
  • Options

Many great suggestions in this thread, especially looking at opponent and acting accordingly.

My Scoundrel team has won me more than a few matches because opponent got stuck on them. For this reason, it is better to hide them in the back, so by the time they get to it they may not have any solutions left, like DN in particular. Vandor and his Zeta are VERY important for this team, as is having two taunts to keep him and Nest protected. I use L3 and Zaal (I don't have an OR team or might not get the luxury to use Zaal) and they work great under a Q'ira lead, where they regen protection along with Vandor also regening protection for them. Zaal also has natural crit avoidance, and gains even more under Q'ira. Many like to save Nest for Offense, but for me anyway I have more than enough for that, and prefer her on D, under Q'ira. If a match is going to be tight, then a solo nest offense win can make the difference for sure

Yeah, I learned the hard way not to underestimate Big Z. It's far from meta, but you still gotta show some respect and use solid squads.
  • Options
    Generally I always clear my opponents defence but my own defence struggles. All teams I set are modded well and mostly g12 with a few g11 toons. Got all the important zetad for the teams too. But what are best teams to use on defence?

I currently use follow teams listed by leader; padme, Shaak Ti clones, geos, Bossk bounty hunters, Carth old republic, KRU FO, Hera Phoenix, Jyn rogue one team.

I’m thinking Phoenix and rogue one are not great but not sure what other teams to use instead?

Thoughts and help much appreciated, I save the big hitters like DR, JKR, CLS, night sister, grevious teams for offence and keep JTR team for offence to wipe out opposing FO as JTR is poor on defence

You're right about R1, they can be soloed by Nest which puts you in a hole. I just had a convo today in Discord about BH and I am going to try a Jango lead instead of Bossk since the AI is horrible at filling Bossk's contract and not many people probably face a Jango lead.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Options
    Generally I always clear my opponents defence but my own defence struggles. All teams I set are modded well and mostly g12 with a few g11 toons. Got all the important zetad for the teams too. But what are best teams to use on defence?

I currently use follow teams listed by leader; padme, Shaak Ti clones, geos, Bossk bounty hunters, Carth old republic, KRU FO, Hera Phoenix, Jyn rogue one team.

I’m thinking Phoenix and rogue one are not great but not sure what other teams to use instead?

Thoughts and help much appreciated, I save the big hitters like DR, JKR, CLS, night sister, grevious teams for offence and keep JTR team for offence to wipe out opposing FO as JTR is poor on defence

You're right about R1, they can be soloed by Nest which puts you in a hole. I just had a convo today in Discord about BH and I am going to try a Jango lead instead of Bossk since the AI is horrible at filling Bossk's contract and not many people probably face a Jango lead.

Div 1 has jango leads everywhere so yes it works, but it still can get killed by jtr
  • DarkstarSunrise
    570 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Why ruin 3 good teams to make 1 meh team?
  • DarkstarSunrise
    570 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

For Div 1, Bossk Carth FO Phoenix Jyn are all terrible. I'll still use Bossk on occasion, but the rest no way. Set the strongest defense you could still beat with your own roster, need 16 A-level squads to be competitive. Always expect full clears, aim for efficiency.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Cuz it's won GAs for me...

I don't have a great NS team so AV is fine. I will pull GG if I feel I might need a suicide squad, but most opponents I face keep DR for offense.

And I don't see how you can call it "meh" when it's gotten, by far, more defensive holds in the last couple GACs than all my other squads put together.
  • Options

For Div 1, Bossk Carth FO Phoenix Jyn are all terrible. I'll still use Bossk on occasion, but the rest no way. Set the strongest defense you could still beat with your own roster, need 16 A-level squads to be competitive. Always expect full clears, aim for efficiency.

Would you like to share the defence teams you have in mind? You’ve listed the terrible teams but offered no alternatives and that’s what I’m looking for
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    ns is a great offensive team, and on d can get wiped by undergeared troopers. can be good on d too, but just sayin

Ehh must be a division thing. NS almost always on defense in D1 and usually relic 3-5. Under-geared troopers are not clearing them.
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Only if you run Talia. Throw in Spirit or Nest as the 5th and even good troopers struggle big time.

Don't usually see Nest on Defense in GAC. In TW where undersized victories don't mean as much sure....

In GAC, almost everyone saves her to curb stomp something silly left on defense for a 63.
  • Options

I don't have a great NS team so AV is fine. I will pull GG if I feel I might need a suicide squad, but most opponents I face keep DR for offense.

And I don't see how you can call it "meh" when it's gotten, by far, more defensive holds in the last couple GACs than all my other squads put together.

Exactly. What’s the third team he’s referring too anyways ?
    Nightsisters
    Greve & droids
    Nute dooku and ????

It’s not ruining 3 good teams

@DarkstarSunrise
  • Options
    Stick wrote: »

Nightsisters
    Greve & droids
    Nute dooku and ????

@DarkstarSunrise

Was wondering the 3rd myself. I guess a run of the mill seps squad with no droids? Sure you can make 3 whole squads, but that doesnt mean they're any good to you.

Or maybe he uses dooku with sith? Lol
  • Options

I wouldn't say Carth and FO are terrible. While Carth is easy to beat if you use the right counter, a surprising amount of people seems to mess up when attacking my Carth team. Has won me several GAs. I'm sure FO is best for offense, but with a fast Kylo Ren, it can take people by surprise on defense.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    I think a lot of these posts are division dependent.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    As TVF said the what's good on defense question is division dependent but also roster, play style and opponent dependent.

E.g. at the lower GP of div 4 and div 2 you may be playing with not enough well geared teams so you might need a really strong defensive squad that your opponent will struggle on to make up for some weaker team. At the higher GP end of div 3 and div 1 you might be able to set a very "flat" level of defense teams that just take protection banners away from your opponent and maybe if you are lucky drain them of certain specific counters before they full clear. Meanwhile if you set bossk lead BH vs someone with well geared troopers and a fast stark you are giving them 60 banners vs maybe giving someone without good troopers a slightly harder time.

My personal generalized thoughts though which I'm sure differ to a lot of players:
    Gas; Defense because no protection regeneration and requires strong counters not yet well practiced
    Sith Empire; Defense because requires strong counter and will cost banners. Also offense; undersized win with out malak vs almost anything and then use malak for a 64. Or mirror SE.
    Padme; Opposite of SE as it's a possible counter but also beats basically everything else. Can be good on defense if you include 3P0 and also use Bugs (double up on traya counter)
    JKR; Offense because regen. prot., defeats almost anything specifically GG.
    GG; defense because high chance it costs opponent banners to beat and would otherwise cost you banners on offense vs most teams of similar power / investment
    Clones (without GAS); defense under rex lead (harder to beat than shaakti lead) or offense under shaakti lead (counters most things including SE if JKA included)
    Bugs; depends on other factors, e.g. can you make them use at least Traya and DR before coming across them. Otherwise they beat an awful lot for high banners on offense.
    CLS; Offense (typically) as he counters a lot of teams usually undersized (specialty counter for higher end teams also). Can surprise people when used on defense though.
    Traya; Offense as she counters a lot of teams specifically padme and bugs.
    Nute/Dooku/Seps; Defense as still unfamiliar for some people. Many comps. e.g. Wat, Jango, Nest. DDK works if you need a BH team somewhere.
    NS; At some point will have to be moved to offense as everyone puts them on defense and eventually people are going to learn how to beat them without screwing up. For the moment though enough people occasionally slip up or waste some banners on them so they are still worth defense. They cost you 5 banners on offense.
    Carth; very often seen on defense, have a high banner counter prepared (e.g. malak solo, CLS undersize or FO). If used on defense do something to make it at least a tiny bit of a challenge (add L3, Wampa, Nest or Wat or g13 your canderous)
    BH; try not to use bossk on defense as everyone has had over a year practicing against it always being on defense and jango lead is better if you get the speeds and turn order right. Can be good on offense especially if you practiced a bit with them against NS for example.
    FO; with a few g13s and great mods can trip people up on defense. But they have prot. regen., can be used vs carth or for cleanup vs e.g. a lone malak. Well geared, modded and practiced they can be used for 60 against relic'd NS.
    qira or clone wars chewi + scoundrels; tricky little defense filler team if you have the team comp. and gear for it.
    JTR/Palp/Troopers/Ewoks; gearing and modding dependent offensive counters to a lot of filler lever teams. Can be occasionally reused on defense vs players with a big mod advantage as their TM gain mechanics can outweight that a little. Optimal on offense as and when needed though and they have many high banner counters.
    Nest/wampa in general; dependent on if you often see teams you can solo (I haven't seen one for ages) otherwise I prefer use to reduce the number of counters available to beat filler teams on defense.
    R1/Phoenix/GR Jedi/Tuskans/Lobot..... if you find a use for them more power to you.

Lastly all of that goes out the window as soon as you review the opponents roster and spot a weakness you can exploit or a strength you need to compensate for.
  • Options

Would you like to share the defence teams you have in mind? You’ve listed the terrible teams but offered no alternatives and that’s what I’m looking for

Good defense teams: CLS, JKR, GG, NS, Geos (circumstantially), DR, Padme, Clones, Nute comps, GS, Nest comps, etc.
  • Options
    Stick wrote: »

Nightsisters
    Greve & droids
    Nute dooku and ????

@DarkstarSunrise

NS - A level defense/offense
    GG - A level defense/offense
    Nute seps - A level defense

3 teams that can all also win you a GAC on their own traded for 1 team that can also win. I'd rather have 3.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I think a lot of these posts are division dependent.

Agreed. That's why I find it irtitating when people make claims that a certain squad should always be offense, or always defense.
  • Options
    As TVF said the what's good on defense question is division dependent but also roster, play style and opponent dependent.

E.g. at the lower GP of div 4 and div 2 you may be playing with not enough well geared teams so you might need a really strong defensive squad that your opponent will struggle on to make up for some weaker team. At the higher GP end of div 3 and div 1 you might be able to set a very "flat" level of defense teams that just take protection banners away from your opponent and maybe if you are lucky drain them of certain specific counters before they full clear. Meanwhile if you set bossk lead BH vs someone with well geared troopers and a fast stark you are giving them 60 banners vs maybe giving someone without good troopers a slightly harder time.

My personal generalized thoughts though which I'm sure differ to a lot of players:
    Gas; Defense because no protection regeneration and requires strong counters not yet well practiced
    Sith Empire; Defense because requires strong counter and will cost banners. Also offense; undersized win with out malak vs almost anything and then use malak for a 64. Or mirror SE.
    Padme; Opposite of SE as it's a possible counter but also beats basically everything else. Can be good on defense if you include 3P0 and also use Bugs (double up on traya counter)
    GG; defense because high chance it costs opponent banners to beat and would otherwise cost you banners on offense vs most teams of similar power / investment
    Clones (without GAS); defense under rex lead (harder to beat than shaakti lead) or offense under shaakti lead (counters most things including SE if JKA included)
    Bugs; depends on other factors, e.g. can you make them use at least Traya and DR before coming across them. Otherwise they beat an awful lot for high banners on offense.
    CLS; Offense (typically) as he counters a lot of teams usually undersized (specialty counter for higher end teams also). Can surprise people when used on defense though.
    Nute/Dooku/Seps; Defense as still unfamiliar for some people. Many comps. e.g. Wat, Jango, Nest. DDK works if you need a BH team somewhere.
    NS; At some point will have to be moved to offense as everyone puts them on defense and eventually people are going to learn how to beat them without screwing up. For the moment though enough people occasionally slip up or waste some banners on them so they are still worth defense. They cost you 5 banners on offense.
    Carth; very often seen on defense, have a high banner counter prepared (e.g. malak solo, CLS undersize or FO). If used on defense do something to make it at least a tiny bit of a challenge (add L3, Wampa, Nest or Wat or g13 your canderous)
    BH; try not to use bossk on defense as everyone has had over a year practicing against it always being on defense and jango lead is better if you get the speeds and turn order right. Can be good on offense especially if you practiced a bit with them against NS for example.
    FO; with a few g13s and great mods can trip people up on defense. But they have prot. regen., can be used vs carth or for cleanup vs e.g. a lone malak. Well geared, modded and practiced they can be used for 60 against relic'd NS.
    qira or clone wars chewi + scoundrels; tricky little defense filler team if you have the team comp. and gear for it.
    JTR/Palp/Troopers/Ewoks; gearing and modding dependent offensive counters to a lot of filler lever teams. Can be occasionally reused on defense vs players with a big mod advantage as their TM gain mechanics can outweight that a little. Optimal on offense as and when needed though and they have many high banner counters.
    Nest/wampa in general; dependent on if you often see teams you can solo (I haven't seen one for ages) otherwise I prefer use to reduce the number of counters available to beat filler teams on defense.
    R1/Phoenix/GR Jedi/Tuskans/Lobot..... if you find a use for them more power to you.

Lastly all of that goes out the window as soon as you review the opponents roster and spot a weakness you can exploit or a strength you need to compensate for.

Just wanted to say thank you for your post really appreciate the detailed analysis, my only question is who is DDK? other than that your comment was brilliant. slightly depressing as means I have lots of toons to grind but that’s the aim of the game 😀👍
  • Options

Just wanted to say thank you for your post really appreciate the detailed analysis, my only question is who is DDK? other than that your comment was brilliant. slightly depressing as means I have lots of toons to grind but that’s the aim of the game 😀👍

Sorry! DDK = droideka :)

For me personally I've found that the 5th spot on the GG team is quite fluid at the moment. Droideka works amazing there of course as it should. But Wat, Nute and BB8 are all options too. How you pick is obviously dependent on what you have. If you don't have enough seps to make a Nute team then nute is a great choice. Wat makes most teams better so can float around. The Droideka can work with a JTR+Droid squad (R2 uses stealth on damage immunity droideka for example). I've personally found I don't often use my JTR on offense with the current number of teams needed so my BB8 sometimes goes with GG, droideka with nute and jango with bounty hunters. But there's other ways to shift those characters around.

You could also use GG on offense with t3m4, ig88 and other droids against Darth Revan and then put your 4 sep droids (droideka, B1, B2 and magna) with a nute lead.

But yeah, always more teams to grind for GAC ;)
  • BobarLacasse
    4 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have been using Nute a lot recently and I initialy prefered keeping him fo roffense because he is so polyvalent and the Ai doesnt know how to deal with Extorsion. Especially fast caracters with many abilities, like GMY, they just spread the disease so fast...

But I have had nice result in defense too, mainly i guess because it is rare...
  • Options
    Sisters hardly net you max points on offence and are sure to steal points even if beaten in one go on defence.
    So sisters certainly are throughout all devisions a good idea for defence.
    Its similar with GG sep droids.

I assume at lower gp and devisions you see more bossk leads at higher gp it's all jango lead hunters.

Nest is awesome in lower gp gac for offence to solo teams, at higher gp you can forget about it, because there wont be a team she can solo and you rather beaf up a defence team with her.

Basically you want to be able to clear fully and put teams that can get holds or steal points.

At 5-6mil gp this concludes to the following best defence teams:

Drevan, gg, gas, sisters, nute + wat, jango and than the ice gets thinner because you need to keep enough for attacking. So the last 2 squads mostly are qira and any 8th squad.

• Options
    R7 Ughnaught under G7.5 (must be exact) CUP lead.

Fill remaining 3 with R3 Tuskens
  • Options
    I have been using Nute a lot recently and I initialy prefered keeping him fo roffense because he is so polyvalent and the Ai doesnt know how to deal with Extorsion. Especially fast caracters with many abilities, like GMY, they just spread the disease so fast...

But I have had nice result in defense too, mainly i guess because it is rare...

Yes, Nute and Jango make a good team. My nute lacks zeta and always gets me 2 defenses
  • Options
    The best defense is offense.

Save your best teams for offense. Its foolproof