Can I dump Phoenix Squad?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    To commiserate with OP, I have been playing since launch and don't have the Falcon either. Sure just get the BH ships, no problem. If it were not for the other heroes I need for geo TB, I would do just that. Hard node farms take forever.

It's 3 ships to get Falcon (since Slave 1 you should've had Slave 1 way in advance), for which you needed to get 95 blueprints a piece to unlock.The ships have been farmable for almost a year now, with Falcon defining the fleet meta for the vast majority of this year. There was plenty of time to farm them before geo tb even existed.
    Zippy_3000 wrote: »
    Clearly I’m not talking about players who just started.. just players who probably weren’t playing 4 years ago, and who haven’t wasted resources on toons that are, let’s be honest, no longer relevant. Wiggs, Phoenix, ackbar, etc.. (all at gear 12) they inflate my GP, yet they offer no real value in a match I’m in against someone who has a similar GP, but has toons that are more current / relevant.

You just admitted it - telling me I have to wait until the evolution of the game washes the Phoenix squad further into irrelevancy then they already are. So I’m penalized for “making those choices” whereas someone newer who doesn’t bother with them isn’t.

Players who started 2 years ago have much more of a reason to have a g12 Phoenix team than players who started 4 years ago. For those of us playing 4 years, Phoenix has NEVER been meta--they came out during Zaul/triple-cleanse. The primary usage was to get Thrawn, and then a couple of missions in LS Hoth (which certainly didn't require g12 to complete). Even for fleet, they weren't part of any meta until Falcon (which you don't have). For those playing 2 years, Phoenix was the recommended starter team for pretty much everything--arena, gw, etc...

As far as the penalization, it's not a new vs. old player issue. You made a choice, at some point, to put your phoenix team to g12. Not sure when or why, but at that time there wasn't content out there that required a g12 phoenix team to beat. But you chose to put them to that gear level for some reason. At that point in time, presumably they provided you with value, and you reaped some rewards as a result.

However, given your other posts regarding GAC, allowing you to "dump" characters won't change your GAC outcomes. If you don't put in at least some time to figure out how counters work, to make sure you have decent mods, etc..., dumping characters will simply put you in a lower GP grouping where you will face the exact same situations you are now--opponents who outplay you and beat you.

I’ve been chasing the Falcon since it came out.. I used to be a top contender in ship combat, which Is why I leveled Phoenix squad. Over time, the devs released a slew of new characters, most of which became the ones you now need to stay competitive, or be someone who’s actually helpful in your guild by doing significant damage in a raid. Since I obviously needed to acquire those characters, getting the Falcon took a back seat. It’s still in the back seat. It’s a year later, and I’m still trying to catch up .. I have revan, should be getting dark revan next time he comes, and then I might actually have a shot at getting the Falcon, though I’ll be missing out on malek.

Honestly, the best and smartest choice would probably be for me to just give up and do something else. I’m just lamenting the loss I feel because at one point I felt this was a great game, and I really enjoyed it.. now I just constantly sense the greed of the devs as they continually put more and more obstacles in front of a f2p player, all the while dangling the pay-to-win shortcut in front of us. Since my day doesn’t revolve around this game, I can’t afford to spend excessive amounts of time to grind forward the way others here do .. good for them, that works for them. Not for me.

Maybe dumping the Phoenix squad won’t work. Fine. Im really just expressing the fact that I feel like they ended up being a waste of resources for me.. because their primary use is ship combat, which I’m locked out of now- since I can’t afford to give the Falcon priority over the other must-have toons they keep dumping on us. Since that’s been taken away, and I’m always getting murdered in GA because I’m constantly getting matched up to players who DO have the meta teams, I’m just looking for a solution that allows me to have a snowflake’s chance in hell of actually winning a GA match.. or experiencing SOME modicum of satisfaction while playing.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    None of the things you are complaining about are new.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    None of the things you are complaining about are new.

I agree.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    You seemed to be saying otherwise, but ok.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    To commiserate with OP, I have been playing since launch and don't have the Falcon either. Sure just get the BH ships, no problem. If it were not for the other heroes I need for geo TB, I would do just that. Hard node farms take forever.

It's 3 ships to get Falcon (since Slave 1 you should've had Slave 1 way in advance), for which you needed to get 95 blueprints a piece to unlock.The ships have been farmable for almost a year now, with Falcon defining the fleet meta for the vast majority of this year. There was plenty of time to farm them before geo tb even existed.
    Clearly I’m not talking about players who just started.. just players who probably weren’t playing 4 years ago, and who haven’t wasted resources on toons that are, let’s be honest, no longer relevant. Wiggs, Phoenix, ackbar, etc.. (all at gear 12) they inflate my GP, yet they offer no real value in a match I’m in against someone who has a similar GP, but has toons that are more current / relevant.

You just admitted it - telling me I have to wait until the evolution of the game washes the Phoenix squad further into irrelevancy then they already are. So I’m penalized for “making those choices” whereas someone newer who doesn’t bother with them isn’t.

Players who started 2 years ago have much more of a reason to have a g12 Phoenix team than players who started 4 years ago. For those of us playing 4 years, Phoenix has NEVER been meta--they came out during Zaul/triple-cleanse. The primary usage was to get Thrawn, and then a couple of missions in LS Hoth (which certainly didn't require g12 to complete). Even for fleet, they weren't part of any meta until Falcon (which you don't have). For those playing 2 years, Phoenix was the recommended starter team for pretty much everything--arena, gw, etc...

As far as the penalization, it's not a new vs. old player issue. You made a choice, at some point, to put your phoenix team to g12. Not sure when or why, but at that time there wasn't content out there that required a g12 phoenix team to beat. But you chose to put them to that gear level for some reason. At that point in time, presumably they provided you with value, and you reaped some rewards as a result.

However, given your other posts regarding GAC, allowing you to "dump" characters won't change your GAC outcomes. If you don't put in at least some time to figure out how counters work, to make sure you have decent mods, etc..., dumping characters will simply put you in a lower GP grouping where you will face the exact same situations you are now--opponents who outplay you and beat you.

I’ve been chasing the Falcon since it came out.. I used to be a top contender in ship combat, which Is why I leveled Phoenix squad. Over time, the devs released a slew of new characters, most of which became the ones you now need to stay competitive, or be someone who’s actually helpful in your guild by doing significant damage in a raid. Since I obviously needed to acquire those characters, getting the Falcon took a back seat.

You obviously needed the Falcon and HT to stay competitive in fleet arena and GAC and to help your guild in TW. Now you need HT to help your guild in geos TB. Your logic and reasoning seems a bit flawed.
    It’s still in the back seat. It’s a year later, and I’m still trying to catch up

Which indicates, that keeping it on the back seat may not be the right choice for you.
    .. I have revan, should be getting dark revan next time he comes, and then I might actually have a shot at getting the Falcon, though I’ll be missing out on malek.

You could have unlocked it at 5* mid January, taken it to 7* a couple of months later, and stayed competitive in fleet arena, GA and TW.

Oh, well. All our farming choices influence our performances in various game modes. It's the same for all players.
    Maybe dumping the Phoenix squad won’t work. Fine. Im really just expressing the fact that I feel like they ended up being a waste of resources for me.. because their primary use is ship combat, which I’m locked out of now- since I can’t afford to give the Falcon priority over the other must-have toons they keep dumping on us.

Can you afford not to give it priority? OK. It's all good, then.
    Since that’s been taken away, and I’m always getting murdered in GA because I’m constantly getting matched up to players who DO have the meta teams, I’m just looking for a solution that allows me to have a snowflake’s chance in hell of actually winning a GA match.

If you take a minute to just read through this paragraph a few times, I'm sure you will see, what the obvious solution would be.

• Options
    I highly recommend going all in on Phoenix if you have properly progressed up the recommended Phoenix __> EP __>Thrawn __> R2 and so on path or whatever it is. If
    You are already in then don't waste the GP and leave them halfway. A g12+ Phoenix team and ships is great.
  • Options
    Hopefully, your crappy comment makes you feel better about yourself.
    Yes - it does ... I like making crappy comments in crappy threads.

• RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    If
    You are already in then don't waste the GP and leave them halfway. A g12+ Phoenix team and ships is great.
    No, it's not a great team but 60+ banners to any experienced opponent. Ships don't need g12 Phoenix to be viable either.

Going up to the minimun g8 for Thrawn and EP and eventually investing more only in Ezra and probably Sabine is not a waste, especially when above division 6 the GP from g8 Phoenix hardly influences your matchmaking.

You can easily find 16+ teams that bring you more advantage for the gear pieces you would use on Phoenix past g8.

Edit: It's another matter if you already have them at g12 and you try to make the best of the situation, but at this point there is no reason to go all in on Phoenix.