#2 Small Life Changes: An End To Snipers And Player Locking [Updated]

Replies

• bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    I enjoy it as it is
    On some servers nobody will hold 1st for 3 hours.
  • Options
    I would like this change
    People usually get "sniped" in the five minutes before the rewards are handed out, all you have to is ensure you have one battle left and fight anyone with no intention of actually fighting and just let the clock run down, nobody can attack you if you're already engaged in battle surely?

Indeed its called Sniper blocking and it is done to combat snipers. These kind of things shouldn't be necessary.

You can also be locked in place if someone is using you as the sniper block target.
  • Options
    I would like this change
    bleeaauuh wrote: »
    On some servers nobody will hold 1st for 3 hours.

As i said with the comming changes fortitude and speed vs damage. You will see it as such and rank 1 should be hard to obtain as it is top of the ladder.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The whole arena system needs to revamped to a points system in my opinion

You don't want to create a system where people feel the need to play at a particular time...

==================================

One game I seen with a arena type ladder, gives you ten free attacks per day, you can buy two more batches of ten more attacks each so in total one day you can have 30 attacks

Each attack you are given a random enemy to attack.. if you don't like the enemy you can spend ingame credits to roll a different enemy...

You are assigned points on a win and you lose points on a loss... the points gained or lost is calculated based on your difference between your total and the enemies total...

SO attacking and winning against someone a lot higher than you win you most points... where as attacking and losing against someone a lot lower than you gain you almost no points.

In a losing situation if you lost to a person who is significantly higher rank than you, you don't lose as many points as you would to someone significantly lower than you..

Your final rank is determined at the end of the week

====================================

I feel a similar system to this would work for this game and would pretty much eliminate sniping and make the game feel a little more casual with when you play.. rather than making you feel like you have to play right around the reward time.

In addition you don't get the **** lock-out mechanic associated with the rank swap
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Options
    I would like this change
    Skye wrote: »
    The whole arena system needs to revamped to a points system in my opinion

You don't want to create a system where people feel the need to play at a particular time...

==================================

One game I seen with a arena type ladder, gives you ten free attacks per day, you can buy two more batches of ten more attacks each so in total one day you can have 30 attacks

Each attack you are given a random enemy to attack.. if you don't like the enemy you can spend ingame credits to roll a different enemy...

You are assigned points on a win and you lose points on a loss... the points gained or lost is calculated based on your difference between your total and the enemies total...

SO attacking and winning against someone a lot higher than you win you most points... where as attacking and losing against someone a lot lower than you gain you almost no points.

In a losing situation if you lost to a person who is significantly higher rank than you, you don't lose as many points as you would to someone significantly lower than you..

Your final rank is determined at the end of the week

====================================

I feel a similar system to this would work for this game and would pretty much eliminate sniping and make the game feel a little more casual with when you play.. rather than making you feel like you have to play right around the reward time.

In addition you don't get the **** lock-out mechanic associated with the rank swap

Yeah lol well I'd take anything atm over Snipers and locking.....
  • Options

Indeed :) arena is really hell bent on snipers since get go. They tried to lessen it by not allowing large rank jumping but it didn't take.

They should make it so in the top 10 you can't snipe people more than 2 or 3 ranks. I mean you work your way to #1 and come back an hour or so later and you are in the 12-15 range. Some days you don't get picked on or it's not that busy, so you stay in the top 10. You shouldn't be able to go from 10 to 6 to 4 to 1. If i was at #6 i would rather fight 5, 4, 3, 2 then i can claim #1. Personally due to terrible AI i don't see the point of trying to hold rank. Any top tier team (and some lower) can beat any team at the top. So for me arena right now is just a place where i can collect some rewards. It's not PVP it's your team against bad AI.

I like some of your ideas but until they make changes to arena or defense I don't see this working. Trying to hold #1 for more than 1 hour is almost impossible most days on my Shard. The only way to hold rank really is to get #1 when everybody else has collected their rewards and gone to sleep. Or i guess you could spend crystals all day to keep taking your rank back. We have one on our server who used to do that but he probably got tired of constantly being knocked out of #1 that he stopped. He has a Chinese name so i'm not sure what timezone he is in but he usually grabs the #1 slot when we go to sleep.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    The potential for both collusion and griefing seem really high.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    I would like this change
    The only downside I see is that it would be very, very difficult to hold a high rank.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    Other
    I put forward a suggestion a while back that I thought would be interesting which is similar to the main idea.

I proposed the potential of keeping the overall total reward payout the same but having more payout times.
    For example

Present arena #1 spot is
    1000 arena credits and 500 crystals for payout St 6pm

Now if there were 4 payout times each winning time for the #1 spot would pay
    250 arena credits and 125 crystals. (at various times say for example 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12pm)

Benefits to this would be
    This would make the arena more competitive as the would be more fluctuation and with the current 5 attempts it would be a lot more difficult to snipe your way to the top. Winnings would be spread out a bit more and it would also suit people who work different times of day or go to bed early. The other beauty to this is it could scale - want everyone to have 10 arena attempts? Fine adjust the number of payout times and it balances itself.
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Options
    thats an intersting idea,,make rewards pay out every 6 hours but only 1/4 as much.
  • Options
    Starjumper wrote: »
    Now if there were 4 payout times each winning time for the #1 spot would pay
    250 arena credits and 125 crystals. (at various times say for example 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12pm)

We are already required to log in multiple times a day to collect energy, shards, rewards etc. Plus you only get 5 free attempts so you would have to spend a ton of crystals on refreshes just to get to #1. If it were split up like that i would never get 1000 arena credits and 500 crystals each day. Even with the 6pm payout its already too much of a time consumer.

• Options
    Other
    Snipers in GOH: It occurs in the last 10-20 minutes of your regions arena reset.

Player locking: occurs in the last 5 minutes of arena reset and a player will start combat with a near rank to lock them into place until reset. This can also affect the player they lock because they are unable to attack another till after the 5 minutes runs out.
    My server, I'm guessing December -that's when I started playing, has figured out the top 20 and our time zones. This has immensely cut down on all of the sniping and the "protect the flag/capture the flag" mentality that was pervasive and causing all of us grief. Yes, there are some outliers, but I think that our stance to not attack each other before that timezone's rewards has helped all of us. I think that is a good first step.
    IDK what the right answer is, but I am definitely in favor of an average: example: if Alabama is ranked #1 and loses to #20 UGA, Alabama doesn't fall to #20. No, not trying to compare apples and oranges, just highlighting an example.

Oh yeah, and nerf Dooku and they took yer jerb! #sarcasm
    *please for the love of God, don't nerf Dooku.*
  • Options
    I enjoy it as it is
    How about a weighted average? Basically factor your average rank for the last 24 hours and then 1st prize goes to the person with the lowest average overall rating throughout the day and go down from there. For a simplistic example, if someone held 1 for 12 hours and 2 for twelve hours then second held 1 for 6 2 for 6 and 3 for 6 they would be 1.5 and 2 respectively. I guess there could be issues with ties, but you would just split the two prizes.
  • bbmiLo
    378 posts Member
    Options
    the intention is sensible, but the proposal does not work. no team can even hold for 30 mins if under attacked.
  • Options
    Other
    Agree with other that said that noone would hold #1 for 3 hours under such a system. I hate the current system. So much. I hate it more than GW, the boring grinding, etc. But I don't think this system would work either.
  • Mofojokers1992
    1975 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would like this change
    I have updated the thread after thinking hard on what people have said on the idea.

I have come up with a solution to please everyone.

Added to main thread:

updated: the reward timers build up and do not drop, i.e i hold rank 1 for 1 hour then drop then reclaim it and hold it for another 2 hours i will get the rank 1 reward and then resets with each handout time.
  • Options
    I would like this change
    It should work better and to claim the ranked prize you just need to hold that rank for any said time over the day.

As i said in the above post :)
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Options
    Other
    Sounds kind of good in theory, in practice it would be a logistical nightmare.

You would have to chain yourself to your phone for the majority of the day in order to notice as soon as someone grabbed your spot so you could fight to get it back, because now you have to HOLD your spot for up to three hours at 1st place? You have the most competitive spot and you're making it take the most time. I can see that being wildly profitable for EA among the whales who want to shell out cash everyday plugging their phone like a VLT.

I also see how that could drastically drop the participation numbers among the F2P. Maybe arena becomes P2P only?

I'm only just cresting the Top 100 atm, so I haven't seen the feeding frenzy and shady dealings among the top 10 but I've read enough forum posts to get a really solid idea of how it looks. The current system definitely has it's flaws.

What about a lockout period? The last 15-20 minutes, you get one last attempt to jump spots. Now the gamble is on whether you take a really solid offence team to snipe the spot last second, or a really solid defence team to hold the position you have so that it can't be sniped?

I just see the idea of having to hold for hours being really rough.

• Options
    I would like this change
    Powda wrote: »
    Sounds kind of good in theory, in practice it would be a logistical nightmare.

You would have to chain yourself to your phone for the majority of the day in order to notice as soon as someone grabbed your spot so you could fight to get it back, because now you have to HOLD your spot for up to three hours at 1st place? You have the most competitive spot and you're making it take the most time. I can see that being wildly profitable for EA among the whales who want to shell out cash everyday plugging their phone like a VLT.

I also see how that could drastically drop the participation numbers among the F2P. Maybe arena becomes P2P only?

I'm only just cresting the Top 100 atm, so I haven't seen the feeding frenzy and shady dealings among the top 10 but I've read enough forum posts to get a really solid idea of how it looks. The current system definitely has it's flaws.

What about a lockout period? The last 15-20 minutes, you get one last attempt to jump spots. Now the gamble is on whether you take a really solid offence team to snipe the spot last second, or a really solid defence team to hold the position you have so that it can't be sniped?

I just see the idea of having to hold for hours being really rough.

These types of games are meant to be on throughout the day and is built that way. Although some may find it hard if you wanted top ranks then fighting for them will be needed.
  • Options
    I enjoy it as it is
    I do lock myself into number 1 spot because there are a few whales who just fight all day long with mentally whale like teams irrespective of payout times. I hold a lock for 15 minutes typically, take the reward that they certainly don't need at that time judging by their all day and night behaviour, and then start my attack again 1 hour before payout next day.

I usually only lock against a guy who I know does not payout at my timezone so I am not impacting him... I see no new names coming down the stack at this time, just the all day whale crew, so all in all I think it is humane in my case.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • Hangfire
    497 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would like this change
    I don't get into the politics and mechanics of rankings in arena, though I probably should. It kind of reminds me of the "tactics" used in soccer. I find the shenanigans that goes on with people finding their arena mates and colluding with them on rankings to be a bit distasteful, cheating actually. The locking out and sniping and other tactics also to be cheating. Some people seem to base their entire game play around gaming the system on arena rankings. . I think EA should start handing out bans to people that manipulate the game to gain free crystals.
  • Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Other
    Voted other. I really don't care how it works. To repeat myself from some time ago, someone keeps an eye on the clock and is ready to spend extra crystals at the same beeping time every beeping day, I say to him, congrats! Here's your no 1! You're giving way more importance and spending way more resources to getting no 1, you deserve to be no 1! Of course, RNG is at work here too. There are 15 of you trying to snipe and lock out others, may the luckiest among the desperate win!

Edit: Just an afterthought. This affects how many players in a server? What's the total players in an average server? But, yeah, totally worth the makeover. Forget bugs, content, meta etc... Let's cater to the top 3.
  • Enjaycee
    11 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Other
    What if nobody is able to hold the high ranking spots for the required time in the day? How are you supposed to determine who gets the rank 1/2/3 prize then?

I suggest implementing an arena system wherein you get a reward for the highest ranking tier achieved for that day, plus a bonus for the ranking tier that you held for the longest during the day. Everyone who was able to reach a certain ranking tier (based on the current tiers in the prizes tab) will get a reward for being able to reach that tier, but the players who actually held their ranking tier for the longest in that day before the reset will get the bonus rewards for that tier.

Example 1 - Player A was rank 50 at the start of a reset, putting them in the 21-50 bracket and marking them for the 21-50 prize. Player A battles their way up the ranks throughout the day and manages to reach rank 1, marking them for the rank 1 prize. Player A has spent varying amounts of times in each tier throughout the day, and there is still a few hours left before the prizes are paid out. Player A drops to rank 7 as other players claw to reach the top rank and ends up staying there for the rest of the time until prize payout. At the end, Player A is rewarded a prize for reaching rank 1 in the day and then the bonus for staying in the 6-10 tier for the most time in the day.

Example 2 - Player B is consistently rank 1 in their server but keeps getting sniped by Player C close to prize payout time. Player B started the day at rank 1 and held the rank all day, but was sniped again and dropped down to rank 4 by Player C before the payout. In the current system, he would only receive the rank 4 prize and Player C runs away with the rank 1 prize. However, in the new system, Player B would actually receive the rewards for having reached rank 1 (as they were already at that rank at the start of the day) and the bonus for having held rank 1 the longest during the day, while Player C gets the prize for achieving rank 1 but a lower bonus prize for staying at rank 4 for most of the day.

In theory, this system should effectively eliminate the arena sniping and player locking. Players who have held their highest ranks will get a great reward and bonus and don't have to worry about snipers and having to protect their spot as they are guaranteed a good prize and don't feel like they had their spot stolen from them by snipers even if they were sniped. Snipers and other players who have the ability to achieve a certain high rank will be rewarded for doing so, but would get a smaller bonus prize for being in a lower ranking for longer, thus encouraging them to prove themselves and fight, not only to reach the top, but to also stay at the top if they want the best prizes.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Options
    I like how you keep saying 'holding your spot'. There is nothing that you can do to hold your spot. There is no comp that is able to defend. Even if someone with the same team comp but lower level comes in they have a huge advantage over you. Someone with a completely off-the-wall comp at the same power level can win with just a little added attention from RNGesus.

Unless they allow you to set a defense this is a pointless exercise. Also the idea that you somehow fought strategically to get #1 while the guy who snipes you at 6:55 didn't is ludicrous. It's easy to get to #1 during the day. It's harder when it matters. The guys who have a team that can reliably snipe any comp on 1 try has done an admirable job.
  • Options
    Other
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    I like how you keep saying 'holding your spot'. There is nothing that you can do to hold your spot. There is no comp that is able to defend. Even if someone with the same team comp but lower level comes in they have a huge advantage over you. Someone with a completely off-the-wall comp at the same power level can win with just a little added attention from RNGesus.

Unless they allow you to set a defense this is a pointless exercise. Also the idea that you somehow fought strategically to get #1 while the guy who snipes you at 6:55 didn't is ludicrous. It's easy to get to #1 during the day. It's harder when it matters. The guys who have a team that can reliably snipe any comp on 1 try has done an admirable job.

The truth...hurts?
  • Options
    I enjoy it as it is
    Honestly, I like the system as is, but to help those who feel cheated in such a system, perhaps the the #1 prize should be stretched to the top 20 and then 400 crystals to the top 40 etc. in return, those who achieve the top ten could get a rare Character shard or something like most of these games seem to do (thinking of Heroes of Dragon Age in particular).

Or perhaps having 2-4 drops per day with a smaller shard count for top prizes at say 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm to ensure more people have the opportunity of getting 1st more often without losing the meta of knowing when to attack and when to wait for the right opportunity / opponent. Given we all only get the 5 battles, this would allow for just a few runs at #1 per day unless you spend crystals, making it harder to keep the top 10-20 outside of that 60 minute window.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    Options
    The truth...hurts?

The players who hold #1 for 'hours' are maybe the most clueless of the bunch. #1 is the worst position to be in once the major timezones come along. 'Snipers' intentionally jump from #5/4/3 to 2 if they have enough battles just so they're less likely to get knocked down prior to the deadline. Meanwhile the dude at #1 is like 'Look at me! I'm probably defending like a boss' while the reality is that nobody is attacking him.

There is no point in doing so until T-10 minutes. Because it's easier to take out any comp, even if he was running 4 Dookus and RG, then it is to try to defend.

The idea that anyone can hold the #1 spot for hours with this system is ignorant. It will require more crystals, not less, to get and hold it as it will be a constant state of battle at that position. Similar to how the run up from the 20s to #1 goes in the final hour before a major TZ cutoff.

The only real difference would be that now you're not just fighting your TZ and some whales with unlimited crystals for an hour. Now you're fighting everybody.

• Options
    Other
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    The truth...hurts?

That was meant for the crybabies, you d*** a**! I totally agree with you %##*&)$#&*#^%#%
  • Options
    Other
    Hahaha, gotta get on the forums on the PC more often! That &*#$^($%$&$# was fun on a physical keyboard :lol:! And doesn't look as bad as CAPS LOCK, win win!
  • Megadeth3700
    1017 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Other
    As we all know, players like to lock down the top spots by remaining in combat perpetually until payout time. This is becoming more prevalent as the level of competition catches up and there are tens or people vying for those spots at the same time.

My idea is both
    A- Reward the player for the highest rank they achieved throughout the day and
    B- Drastically reduce the payout so it doesn't hurt EA/CG in the long run and people continue to purchase crystals etc.

Whether you agree with me or not, I think most people who are in this situation of spamming combat and timing refreshes would like a resolution to this problem.

I agree with your first point. It's rather annoying to have to devote 1-2 hours a day before payout to take a top rank. Especially now that with the payout moving back an hour I don't even get a chance to compete. There are tons of people who don't even have a chance simply due to personal schedules. Making the payout to include best rank for the day I think would be best and most fair for the vast majority.

I'm thinking that they could do two things in regards to the payout. Give a smaller shard payout based off of the best rank you achieved that day. As well as have a lager payout for what rank you hold by payout time. If they did the amounts right then the top spot would still get the amount they are getting now. Here is my suggested new payout system.

SHARDS PAYOUT

Rank - Current - Daily Best - Updated Final Rank Payout
    1 ---- 500 ---- 150 ---- 350
    2 ---- 450 ---- 140 ---- 310
    3 ---- 400 ---- 130 ---- 270
    4 ---- 350 ---- 120 ---- 230
    5 ---- 300 ---- 110 ---- 190
    10 ---- 250 ---- 100 ---- 150
    20 ---- 200 ---- 75 ---- 125
    50 ---- 150 ---- 50 ---- 100
    100 ----100 ---- 25 ---- 75
    200 ---- 75 ---- 20 ---- 55
    500 ---- 60 ---- 15 ---- 45
    1000 --- 50 ---- 10 ---- 40
    2500 --- 40 ---- 5 ---- 35

Examples:
    1. For the first two examples lets say this person works evenings and can only plays in the morning and spend one refresh. If they start in top 50 and get to first place (locks in 150 shards) but then got knocked back to top 50 (100 more) by payout time 10 hours later. They would end up getting 250 shards. 100 more shards than they currently are getting.

2. Starts in top 100 and works down to top 20 (75 shards) and gets knocked to top 100 (75) by payout. They would get a total of 150 shards. 50 more than before.

3. Person plays an hour or two before payout time and fights to block and take first. They took first (150 Shards) end up getting sniped to 4th (230) by payout. They would get 380 shards. 30 more than before but still 120 less than first place.

Basically, players who do do all 5-10 battles (1-2 hours) will get a minor reward for taking the time to get the best rank their team can achieve. Naturally, players who have good enough teams to take top ranks will result in a slightly larger reward that those who's "best rank of the day" is not in top ranks.
    There are two other very important thing to point out by addressing the payout this way. First is, anyone who holds their best rank will not see a decrease in their rewards. Secondly, If all top 5 players took first at some point, the final payout for each rank wouldn't actually change much. They would be battle for 40 shard upgrade between the ranks instead of the current 50.
    Post edited by Megadeth3700 on
    ☮ Consular ☮