Retiring first order toons

2Next

Replies

• Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @Cossin

"Last but not least... leave politics out of Star Wars.... it‘s the battle between good and evil with clearly defined characters... based of heroic stories of old. We don‘t need: weapon dealers provide weapons and ships to both sides crap... that‘s not Star Wars..."

You're entitled to whether or not you like Ep 8, but this one point really fails to stick your landing. I just gotta ask:

Did you even watch the Prequels? Or a single episode of The Clone Wars? They were political dramas dressed up with CGI battles in between.

Here's the opening crawl for The Phantom Menace to refresh your memory:

Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute.
    Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo.
    While the congress of the Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, to settle the conflict....

Sorry but I guess we have to agree to disagree on that part. All those political factions are a borrowed and plausible background or frame for the actual story. Have you ever heard -and I‘m exclusively talking about the movies- in episodes 1-6 something alike „weapon traders are evil, they sell to both sides“. That is de facto contemporary, political Zeitgeist shoe-horned into the plot of Episode 8.
    Separatist fought against the galactic republic which turned into an galactic empire. That‘s Rome written all over, more specific Gaius Octavianus "Augustus". Star Wars never invented the wheel. They borrowed many themes and projected them I to a scify environment. Yet what Star Wars never did was throwing those politics into your face like Johnsson did. There could‘ve been a subtle hint, somewhere in the movie, but not that big revelation „OMG!11! the weapon trader selling to the Resistance also sold to the Fist Order“... the difference is, that one is used as backstory, the other on as actual plot device.

And if I hurt anyone‘s feelings through being "toxic" because I stated my very personal opinion:
    I am sorry little snowflake, but the day a personal opinion about a subjective topic as Star Wars is considered "toxic", is the day I start to believe people should riot in the streets with torches and pitchforks because one is not allowed to have a personal opinion...
    I did not attack anyone, I simply stated my opinion and I will gladly debate with anyone and would be happy if someone could convince me, that Rian did a good job. Sorry, but from every established angle he just didn‘t. He created his very own version of Star Wars in an established universe that was supposed to be three trilogies long.
    AGAIN: my opinion...
  • Options
    @Kyno or any mod, i edited my post once and it disappeared into spam filter nirvana. It would be nice if you could bring it back. Thank you.
  • Options
    Olderaan wrote: »
    Thank you.
    And what about Snoke? He will be a Galactic Legend?

Snoke whos that? The old guy who did nothing then just died?

Snoke was Palpatine

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Thank you.
    And what about Snoke? He will be a Galactic Legend?

Snoke whos that? The old guy who did nothing then just died?

Snoke was Palpatine

FO PALP not snoke
  • Options
    Dont forget...possibly more coming. They generally release 5+ characters with a movie. Not counting the legendaries
  • Options
    If they made
    - Introduce a new villain then kill him in the middle without any explanation about his origin.

You mean like the Emperor? Who got exactly 7 minutes and 15 seconds of screentime in the OT (source = IMDb)? Really enough time to flesh out a backstory there. Oh, and just for fun Snoke has 6:45 in screentime in 7 and 8 combined. Snoke wasn't the "new villian", he was just a copy of Palpatine, the figurehead of a new group to represent evil.

Star Wars is about repeated cycles. The Old Republic and the Sith Empire, the Jedi and the Sith, the Rebels and the Empire, Palpatine and Vader and Kylo Ren. Every time there's a resolution to a conflict (Rebels win, Republic is re-established) nothing really changes and then the conflict returns (Snoke and the First Order).

What the haters don't get is that Snoke wasn't the ultimate evil, he was just the NEXT evil, Star Wars is about nostalgia--of course Luke failed with the Jedi, all he was doing is reviving an old, busted system. He didn't look forward just as the Republic didn't look forward and just as how toxic Star Wars fans refuse to look forward. The conflict at the end of Last Jedi is that both Rey and Kylo are finally looking forward and one wants to destroy everything and start anew, while the other wants to modernize the old ways.

But, hey, LeiA pOPpInS is DuMb an wUt wAS wItH RosE?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    @NicWester preach!
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Officer + Hux + sith + FOX.... now add either a pilot, trooper or thrawn.

Mod your pilot for damage, as well as your sith for damage.... mod fox for damage. Hux for speed. Officer for speed.

Thrawn, if you choose, for speed.

Open with hux all attack call. Foo give turn to hux. Hux give back to foo. Foo give back to hux. Basic attack.

Then if thrawn, give back to hux and do call all again.

You are likely to have blown away 1 character on first call, and another on 2nd. Now fox and sith can clean up and thrawn still has fracture.

If no thrawn.... mod the rest of the crew for damage... when they get turns they will clean house.
  • Options
    Cossin wrote: »

And if I hurt anyone‘s feelings through being "toxic" because I stated my very personal opinion:
    I am sorry little snowflake, but the day a personal opinion about a subjective topic as Star Wars is considered "toxic", is the day I start to believe people should riot in the streets with torches and pitchforks because one is not allowed to have a personal opinion...
    I did not attack anyone, I simply stated my opinion and I will gladly debate with anyone and would be happy if someone could convince me, that Rian did a good job. Sorry, but from every established angle he just didn‘t. He created his very own version of Star Wars in an established universe that was supposed to be three trilogies long.

I always wonder if guys like you understand the irony of flipping out over one little comment and then calling other people "snowflakes."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    nabokovfan wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Huxs benefit is he can be on any team with his TM lock if you can protect him...... FOO and hux sneak in thrawn and FOX can prob have 8 attacks in one round at R7 fox be puttin hurtin on ppl lol

Heck kru zylo foo hux FOX alone with TM gains from crits and passing turns FOX should decimate.....

To me, his only benefit is increased damage and I expect supreme leader kylo to kick Hux to the curb (in the movie and in game).

A team of 3 Kylos. That'd be hilarious.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    snoke is zzzzzzzz. well, was.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    @Cossin

"Last but not least... leave politics out of Star Wars.... it‘s the battle between good and evil with clearly defined characters... based of heroic stories of old. We don‘t need: weapon dealers provide weapons and ships to both sides crap... that‘s not Star Wars..."

You're entitled to whether or not you like Ep 8, but this one point really fails to stick your landing. I just gotta ask:

Did you even watch the Prequels? Or a single episode of The Clone Wars? They were political dramas dressed up with CGI battles in between.

Here's the opening crawl for The Phantom Menace to refresh your memory:

Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute.
    Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo.
    While the congress of the Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, to settle the conflict....

Sorry but I guess we have to agree to disagree on that part. All those political factions are a borrowed and plausible background or frame for the actual story. Have you ever heard -and I‘m exclusively talking about the movies- in episodes 1-6 something alike „weapon traders are evil, they sell to both sides“. That is de facto contemporary, political Zeitgeist shoe-horned into the plot of Episode 8.
    Separatist fought against the galactic republic which turned into an galactic empire. That‘s Rome written all over, more specific Gaius Octavianus "Augustus". Star Wars never invented the wheel. They borrowed many themes and projected them I to a scify environment. Yet what Star Wars never did was throwing those politics into your face like Johnsson did. There could‘ve been a subtle hint, somewhere in the movie, but not that big revelation „OMG!11! the weapon trader selling to the Resistance also sold to the Fist Order“... the difference is, that one is used as backstory, the other on as actual plot device.

Well, if you choose to ignore the overt political commentary put into the OT and the Prequels by every Star Wars fanboy's hero (George Lucas), than I can see how those political factions are only backdrops to the story. However, think about this for a second: Why is the weapons dealer comment a political statement to you? Is it because you don't agree with it or like the sequels? Or is it because you missed that it provided background on the smuggler, highlighting that he didn't care about right/wrong and was going to do what was best for him.

Here are some quotes on the political nature of Star Wars from the creator himself:

“It was really about the Vietnam War, and that was the period where [President Richard] Nixon was trying to run for a [second] term, which got me to thinking historically about how do democracies get turned into dictatorships?” (about ANH)

“George Bush is Darth Vader. [Vice President ****] Cheney is the Emperor,” (about the prequels)

Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Options
    It’s also worth pointing out that all art is political in that it either challenges or reinforces the status quo. When someone says “keep politics out of art” what they’re really saying is “keep politics I disagree with out of art.”
  • Options
    Hollah from the sidelines here. So tired of hearing SW "fans" rail against the Rey trilogy at every opportunity (and can't help.laughing when people react and they start whimpering about their sacred "opinions"). You are surrounded by SW fans here, this is not the place to try to convince people that movies they love are bad for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Back on topic:. Your current first order team, whatever the changes will survive as long as we keep putting BH on defense on GAC.

My 90k FO team can crush pretty much any equal BH comp and quite a few that are much more powerful. FOO is the lynchpin. I'm looking forward to the new lineup, but doing nothing we have a RTG BH counter. Also Carth. Not as reliable but a good FO team can beat an equal zCarth team.
  • Options
    - Introduce a new villain then kill him in the middle without any explanation about his origin.

You mean like the Emperor? Who got exactly 7 minutes and 15 seconds of screentime in the OT (source = IMDb)? Really enough time to flesh out a backstory there. Oh, and just for fun Snoke has 6:45 in screentime in 7 and 8 combined. Snoke wasn't the "new villian", he was just a copy of Palpatine, the figurehead of a new group to represent evil.

Miketo28 wrote: »

Yup, Han Solo just gives up on his son and goes back to smuggling. Further to that, he sucks at it as not just one, but two former business partners want him dead.

Shocking, after his son betrayed his own family and fell to the darkside, Han solo was extremely depressed and went back to the one job he has ever had: smuggling. Oh, and was he ever really been good at smuggling? Everyone wanted him dead in the OT. Did you forget that the first time we meet him he is killing of a hired gun? Hell, even his "friend" Lando betrayed him. Must have been a great smuggler.

Last but not least... leave politics out of Star Wars.... it‘s the battle between good and evil with clearly defined characters... based of heroic stories of old. We don‘t need: weapon dealers provide weapons and ships to both sides crap... that‘s not Star Wars...

You do realize that most of Star Wars has been a political commentary right? Like you are aware that it has always had politics in it?The prequels are essentially a political drama between the republic, sepratists, and the Jedi.

...can appreciate your opinion, but don't agree with any of it. Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    Still disagree, because I feel you‘re missing the point. I tried to make myself clearer, telling you that he drew from politics all over the place. Yet, Lucas made it so that we can see analogies, but aren‘t slapped in the face with it.
    The imperial uniforms are almost 1:1 **** Germany uniforms. Darth Vader‘s mask is clearly based on historical japanese 'kabuto' (even kylo‘s repaired helmet looks very similar to Japanese repair technique with gold. Don‘t remember the exact name... something with "kin"]. Guerilla Ewoks that are able to win against the far better equipped imperials shouts Vietnam if you read between the lines.
    If you want to understand my position ask a kid. A kid doesn‘t have that historical knowledge, it will tell you what it saw. Neither in the prequels nor the OT will it say "I disliked the way George Lucas portrayed the fall of the Roman Republic, moving towards a Roman Empire...“
    What a kid can clearly say though is: "weapon traders are kinda evil... they sell guns to the good guys and the bad guys...".

Even if I repeat myself: historical background and analogies =/= plot. It is a setting [story writing 101].

Also what George Lucas said:"[...]People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships,[...]"
    George Lucas is not entirely right here either. If you believe everything -yes even the creator- than Rey isn’t a Mary Sue, which very easily provable is. Rey is THE Mary Sue.

Star Wars is a mix of many genres. Fantasy, space opera, soap opera, sagas,.... influenced by his time’s controversies and historical ones.

This is my last reply on this matter.

After seeing both, Hux and FOSiT, i believe FOSiTs mass cleanse makes him a better FOO, with better damage, health and supporting attacks. Hux clearly substitutes Phasmas if they she still was around in anyone‘s team. In the current meta... I‘m not sure... FOX?
  • Options
    I find these new characters very disappointing when adding them to my current lineup (KRU, Kylo, FOO, FOX, Phasma). Mainly because these new characters don’t give turn meter as well or with as much benefits as the ones I’d replace with. Hux VS FOO: FOO gives offensive buffs with his dispel and 100% TM, Hux might give the ally all abilities off cool down, but I can do the same with FOO special mass colldown reduction and by keeping everyone at full TM for a good 2-3 turns for each toon.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    Huxs benefit is he can be on any team with his TM lock if you can protect him...... FOO and hux sneak in thrawn and FOX can prob have 8 attacks in one round at R7 fox be puttin hurtin on ppl lol

Heck kru zylo foo hux FOX alone with TM gains from crits and passing turns FOX should decimate.....

To me, his only benefit is increased damage and I expect supreme leader kylo to kick Hux to the curb (in the movie and in game).

The game wont die until we have teams of 5 of the same character.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Here's to swgoh immortality since we'll never have more than two Lukes.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Still disagree, because I feel you‘re missing the point. I tried to make myself clearer, telling you that he drew from politics all over the place. Yet, Lucas made it so that we can see analogies, but aren‘t slapped in the face with it.

You only aren't "slapped in the face" (I hate that phrase, by the way, as it's always used by people who have never been slapped in the face in their life) because you accept the political message. You disagree with the message of the new movies so you feel it more because it's someone telling you that you're wrong.

There are folks who love the Empire and the stormtroopers and all the fantasy **** of the original trilogy. Read the nonsense posts they spew out there and you'll see how they feel "slapped" by the overtones of the first movie.

Also, come on, if you think Rey is a Mary Sue but Luke and/or Anakin aren't then something is clearly wrong with you... Why's Mary Sue such a bad thing anyway? Gilgamesh, Liu Bei, Jesus, Hercules, Rama. They're all Mary Sues. All mythic heroes and heroines are Mary Sues. Why treat Rey and Luke any differently?
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Remember back when Territory Wars were fun and we had a bonus for all five Hans?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

You only aren't "slapped in the face" (I hate that phrase, by the way, as it's always used by people who have never been slapped in the face in their life) because you accept the political message. You disagree with the message of the new movies so you feel it more because it's someone telling you that you're wrong.

There are folks who love the Empire and the stormtroopers and all the fantasy **** of the original trilogy. Read the nonsense posts they spew out there and you'll see how they feel "slapped" by the overtones of the first movie.

Also, come on, if you think Rey is a Mary Sue but Luke and/or Anakin aren't then something is clearly wrong with you... Why's Mary Sue such a bad thing anyway? Gilgamesh, Liu Bei, Jesus, Hercules, Rama. They're all Mary Sues. All mythic heroes and heroines are Mary Sues. Why treat Rey and Luke any differently?

You forgot. Riderclass servant Iskander the conquerer...
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Deleted 4 dumb