GAC matchmaking - supposed to be funny?

Prev13456710
Ok. When is CG going to address the elephant in the room? Namely matchmaking based on GP?

My first opponent this round in GAC has the same GP, but 25 G13 (many R5+).
I have 10 G13 toons.

So I will do what I did last round: set my lowest lvl 1 toons on defense and let the clock run out...

Because I am not going to waste time on this if CG is unable or unwilling to come up with a better matchmaking logic. (Which actually would be quite simple)

Replies

• TVF
    36489 posts Member
    It's not GP it's top GP.

If they have more G13, they're top heavy and you have more depth.

I have less G13 than most I am matched again and I win almost every round. Finished 28th Div 1 Kyber last GAC
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    It's not GP it's top GP.

I have less G13 than most I am matched again and I win almost every round. Finished 28th Div 1 Kyber last GAC

Not everybody can be as skilled as you 8-/

Still. I’m not talking about 5 more or less G13. This is 250% more than me!

Top GP or total GP doesn’t matter because GP simply is a bad way to match.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    It's not GP it's top GP.

Not everybody can be as skilled as you

Agreed.
  • You're missing an opportunity to practice your counter teams. Everybody wants a sandbox mode to practice, well, here's your sandbox. I don't understand setting weak teams and walking away. You're not going to learn anything. If you're resigned to losing anyway, why not at least see what your counter teams are capable of.
    And if you do walk away, at least spend that extra time farming and slicing mods.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Relic toons are weighted horribly in matchmaking.
    GP is a bad matchmaker regardless of how many toons it factors in, the system still needs to be worked on.
  • My strategy works as long as my opponent doesn’t set both revans and Padmé on D
  • You're missing an opportunity to practice your counter teams. Everybody wants a sandbox mode to practice, well, here's your sandbox. I don't understand setting weak teams and walking away. You're not going to learn anything. If you're resigned to losing anyway, why not at least see what your counter teams are capable of.
    And if you do walk away, at least spend that extra time farming and slicing mods.

I know the counter teams that work. But I also know that e.g. I do not have anything that beats a R7 Malak. I don’t need a sandbox to try all the different ways to lose. Especially without any upside.
  • Lysandrax wrote: »
    Relic toons are weighted horribly in matchmaking.
    GP is a bad matchmaker regardless of how many toons it factors in, the system still needs to be worked on.

I have not heard one good reason for using GP as basis for matchmaking. It is possibly the worst and laziest way to do it.

Matches based on gear levels would be better.
    Matches based on Arena ranks would be better.
    Matches based on meta characters would be better.
    Pretty much anything would be better than GP.
  • KyoO1234 wrote: »
    Lysandrax wrote: »

I have not heard one good reason for using GP as basis for matchmaking. It is possibly the worst and laziest way to do it.

Because g12 Ugnaught is absolutely equal to g12 Malak! :D
    Because #1 in a 2m GP arena shard is the perfect match for #1 in a 5m GP arena shard! :D
    Current meta only? What about all the rest?
    Include past metas? How many and which ones?
    What do you do with all the players you can't find exact matches for?
    What do you do when players come complaining that mirror matches are boring and it's unfair that their mirror opponent has better mods?
    Apparently not.

• Yes it is. In fact the whole game is supposed to be funny.
  • I’m laughing lots this time around, I get to try all the different ways to beat a r7 gas.. joyjoy
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    You're missing an opportunity to practice your counter teams. Everybody wants a sandbox mode to practice, well, here's your sandbox. I don't understand setting weak teams and walking away. You're not going to learn anything. If you're resigned to losing anyway, why not at least see what your counter teams are capable of.

I know the counter teams that work. But I also know that e.g. I do not have anything that beats a R7 Malak. I don’t need a sandbox to try all the different ways to lose. Especially without any upside.

Ah so you want to only be matched with someone who doesn't have a R7 Malak. That's not the other person's problem. Farm up something that can beat it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    It's not GP it's top GP.

You can't blame inferior skills on the matchmaking algorithm.

We agree, that GP is not the best way, if the goal is to make 100% even match ups. However, I don't believe, that's the goal. I believe CG wishes to let the stronger developed rosters keep that advantage.
  • I have less G13 than most I am matched again and I win almost every round. Finished 2nd Div 1 Kyber last GAC
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    I’m laughing lots this time around, I get to try all the different ways to beat a r7 gas.. joyjoy

R7 CLS! Try it
    It's not GP it's top GP.

...and they win. Especially if they have 24 relic toons and you have 16.

I've been in brackets where a player with R7 GAS +all relic 501st is facing a player who doesn't have a single character of 30k GP (R7 GAS is 37k+). It was - and always will be a route. Most meta teams (GAS, DR/Malak, GG, etc.) can't be beaten down by depth. Either you have the counters and can beat them or you don't.

Matchmaking is poor at best. I'm not sure, with all of the well documented flaws, bugs and issues in this game, why people think that CG got something as complicated as matchmaking in a constantly changing environment miraculously right.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • KyoO1234
    270 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Because #1 in a 2m GP arena shard is the perfect match for #1 in a 5m GP arena shard! :D
    What do you do when players come complaining that mirror matches are boring and it's unfair that their mirror opponent has better mods?
    Apparently not.

You give it your best effort to misunderstand me.

Of course the matchmaking based in arena rank would have to consider your brackets! That’s how Arena currently works too. Duh!

The Ugnauth Malak example is the black swan and would virtually have no impact because people typically gear up their strong toons, but their useless ones. BTW: the same argument can be made with GP. A G12 Malak is not much different from a G12 Ugnaught in terms of GP.

And certain metas should impact the matchmaking if it is done well. The current GP matching btw. tries to do that, but fails since (to stay with the previous example) the GP for Malak is higher than a similar geared Ugnaught, but the GP difference is too small to reflect the meta status of Malak.

I really don’t understand all the people defending this broken matchmaking system.

Finally: People with better rosters like to talk about skill, but when I review the GAC matches of my opponents I see wins for meta vs non-meta and wins for better gear/toon vs weaker gear/toon. Skill? Rarely a factor...
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    It's not GP it's top GP.

I literally said that I have less relic toons and I win, but sure, ok.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I'm with OP! Where do I sign up for the easy-win GAC matches?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited February 2020

Apparently not.

Nope, I read exactly what you wrote, rolled my eyes, laughed and dissected it.
    Of course the matchmaking based in arena rank would have to consider your brackets! That’s how Arena currently works too. Duh!
    You literally said
    "I have not heard one good reason for using GP as basis for matchmaking. It is possibly the worst and laziest way to do it."
    and now you are saying that Divisions by GP are necessary. Well those Divisions are a part of matchmaking and they are based on GP. Duh!
    The Ugnauth Malak example is the black swan and would virtually have no impact because people typically gear up their strong toons, but their useless ones. BTW: the same argument can be made with GP. A G12 Malak is not much different from a G12 Ugnaught in terms of GP.
    People farm and gear all sorts of toons for a variety of reasons including that they just happen to like the character. That was a big problem with total GP matchmaking, less so with top {x} GP.

Malak has 5 abilities and 2 zetas, Ugnaught has 3 abilities 1 of which doesn't even have an omega so on rhat basis alone there will be a significant difference in GP between them at comparable gear levels and likely more from the differences in gear pieces each one needs to reach that level.

You have no clue what GP actually represents do you.
    And certain metas should impact the matchmaking if it is done well. The current GP matching btw. tries to do that, but fails since (to stay with the previous example) the GP for Malak is higher than a similar geared Ugnaught, but the GP difference is too small to reflect the meta status of Malak.
    A meta is not one toon, it is a squad, usually with a number of variants. Any attempt to measure the combat potential of an individual toon is going to be inherently flawed because that potential depends greatly on the toon's squadmates and the opposing squad.

GP does not in any way shape or form attempt to reflect the relative strength of metas. Period. It is a measure of resource investment, nothing more.
    I really don’t understand all the people defending this broken matchmaking system.
    Clearly there are many things you do not understand, starting with the difference between defending the system and countering ignorance and stupidity.
    Finally: People with better rosters like to talk about skill, but when I review the GAC matches of my opponents I see wins for meta vs non-meta and wins for better gear/toon vs weaker gear/toon. Skill? Rarely a factor...
    You really are clueless.

SWGoH is a collecting game, not just a combat sim. Grand arena success is a combination of roster management, strategy and skill in battle.

Imperfect though it may be, GP actually does make sense in that context and perhaps more importantly any alternative which attempts to gauge combat power alone will be much more complex (if it is even feasible) with no guarantee it will produce better matches.
  • Bigbearxba
    250 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Man, if only swgoh.gg had a GAC history and we could verify the relevancy of some results...
    Post edited by Bigbearxba on
    It's not GP it's top GP.

It's not GP it's top GP.

Spend more. I too had bad matchmaking but I increased my microtranactions and consequently since then matching has improved. Perhaps theirs an algerythem attached to microtranactions 😁😁😁
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Apparently not.

You literally said
    "I have not heard one good reason for using GP as basis for matchmaking. It is possibly the worst and laziest way to do it."
    and now you are saying that Divisions by GP are necessary. Well those Divisions are a part of matchmaking and they are based on GP. Duh!
    People farm and gear all sorts of toons for a variety of reasons including that they just happen to like the character. That was a big problem with total GP matchmaking, less so with top {x} GP.

Malak has 5 abilities and 2 zetas, Ugnaught has 3 abilities 1 of which doesn't even have an omega so on rhat basis alone there will be a significant difference in GP between them at comparable gear levels and likely more from the differences in gear pieces each one needs to reach that level.

A meta is not one toon, it is a squad, usually with a number of variants. Any attempt to measure the combat potential of an individual toon is going to be inherently flawed because that potential depends greatly on the toon's squadmates and the opposing squad.

GP does not in any way shape or form attempt to reflect the relative strength of metas. Period. It is a measure of resource investment, nothing more.
    Clearly there are many things you do not understand, starting with the difference between defending the system and countering ignorance and stupidity.
    You really are clueless.

SWGoH is a collecting game, not just a combat sim. Grand arena success is a combination of roster management, strategy and skill in battle.

Imperfect though it may be, GP actually does make sense in that context and perhaps more importantly any alternative which attempts to gauge combat power alone will be much more complex (if it is even feasible) with no guarantee it will produce better matches.

Few people who play swgoh actually posess real skill.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Apparently not.

You literally said

You really are clueless.

Let me try again (for the last time):
    1) We are talking about using GP for GAC specifically. I am not advocating for changing GP as factor in every game aspect. GAC and Arena follow row completely different approaches. Arena is not meant to match similar players. You can have a 2mm player in the same shard with a 5mm player, but they probably won’t be close in rank. So you are wrong with your first point!
    2) g12 and g13 are significant for every toon. You cannot discuss that factor away. And you are plainly wrong regarding the “significant” difference in GP. If the difference is 21k vs 26k then that’s nothing when the matchmaking logic is looking at top 80 GP.
    3) don’t assume I don’t understand things only because I don’t agree with you. I know exactly how gear, abilities and level drive GP, but I still think it’s a bad indicator for a man even GAC matchmaking (see my point 2)
    4) with your response to meta toons you are exactly making my point. BECAUSE metas are not reflected accurately by GP it should be considered separately in GAC matchmaking. And your “there are not meta toons, only meta teams” argument is irrelevant, because obviously almost every toon is used in teams with synergies, but specific toons make teams so powerful that they are considered metas.
    Finally: you indirectly calling me and my post stupid and ignorant says more about you than me! I am well aware what type of game swgoh is (I play this game probably longer than you) and don’t need you to explain this to me.
    Reading through all your response your argument basically boils down to: using anything else than GP is to complex. Now read my initial post. THATS why I wrote that matchmaking based on GP is lazy! But there are better ways as I explained...
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    It's not GP it's top GP.

I literally said that I have less relic toons and I win, but sure, ok.

Do you have R7 GAS when your opponents do not? I ask because that was literally part of my quote you left out. But sure, ok.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • KyoO1234 wrote: »
    1) We are talking about using GP for GAC specifically. I am not advocating for changing GP as factor in every game aspect. GAC and Arena follow row completely different approaches. Arena is not meant to match similar players. You can have a 2mm player in the same shard with a 5mm player, but they probably won’t be close in rank. So you are wrong with your first point!

Feel compelled to point out this logical fallacy. For arena you need one team. So a player with 2M gp can absolutely be near the same rank as a 5M player if they are skilled, have a well developed meta arena team, and comparable mods.

Using arena rank as matchmaking would result in many more “mismatches” than we see right now.

Please note that not ALL matches will be “fair” - but the devs strive for a certain % of matches to be fair across all GA matches.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Apparently not.

You literally said

You really are clueless.

2) g12 and g13 are significant for every toon. You cannot discuss that factor away. And you are plainly wrong regarding the “significant” difference in GP. If the difference is 21k vs 26k then that’s nothing when the matchmaking logic is looking at top 80 GP.
    3) don’t assume I don’t understand things only because I don’t agree with you. I know exactly how gear, abilities and level drive GP, but I still think it’s a bad indicator for a man even GAC matchmaking (see my point 2)
    4) with your response to meta toons you are exactly making my point. BECAUSE metas are not reflected accurately by GP it should be considered separately in GAC matchmaking. And your “there are not meta toons, only meta teams” argument is irrelevant, because obviously almost every toon is used in teams with synergies, but specific toons make teams so powerful that they are considered metas.
    Finally: you indirectly calling me and my post stupid and ignorant says more about you than me! I am well aware what type of game swgoh is (I play this game probably longer than you) and don’t need you to explain this to me.
    Reading through all your response your argument basically boils down to: using anything else than GP is to complex. Now read my initial post. THATS why I wrote that matchmaking based on GP is lazy! But there are better ways as I explained...

Regarding your 1st point:
    Several strong teams are required to win a GA round. Basing matchmaking on arena ranks (only 1 team required, and also depends on level of activity and the shard) makes no sense at all.

Regarding your 3rd point:
    If you assume, that the goal is to make even matches, I believe you'll be disappointed. Nothing indicates that this is CG's goal. Matches were intended to be more even than before championships were introduced - and they are - but that's about it. CG of course want to maintain the incentive to improve your roster.

• Waqui wrote: »

Apparently not.

You literally said

You really are clueless.

Regarding your 3rd point:
    If you assume, that the goal is to make even matches, I believe you'll be disappointed. Nothing indicates that this is CG's goal. Matches were intended to be more even than before championships were introduced - and they are - but that's about it. CG of course want to maintain the incentive to improve your roster.

Except that most of that assumption either makes no sense or is actually quite the opposite of what CG has stated on the subject. CG has clearly and repeatedly stated the goal in GAC to be be "fair" and "close" matches (part of that is actually in bold in one of their announcements ragerding GAC matchmaking.

As an aside, where is the incentive for roster development on the part of the person who has the "easy" side? The incentive for roster improvement exists everywhere else in the game.