Scoring for fleets is too low in GA

Prev1
As it currently stands, conquering the fleet territory is worth about 30 points less than conquering a squad territory. That means that if you have one squad that your opponent doesn’t beat, you can completely ignore fleets and still win. To me, it seems like fleets in GA are a bit of an afterthought, more like a way to determine a tiebreaker between to people that sweep each other’s defenses than an actual match decider. If that’s the case, why not remove fleets completely? As it stands, anyone who invests in fleets is already handicapped by having several useless toons (looking at you Cassian and Gar) inflating their GP, why further punish them by counting their ship GP as well, when it doesn’t even really decide any match? Either make the fleet territory more valuable than the squad territories, put it in the front, or take it from the game. Right now it’s just a way to punish people who like fleets.

Replies

• Options
    The fleet territory should count less since there’s only one team vs 2 or 3 in the squad territories. If you have a squad you know your opponent can’t beat, you can still block a territory whether fleets are involved or not. There are enough variables with banners it can’t be said that ships never factor in deciding matches. Plus, I think there are enough ships that use good squad toons (like GR, clones, and rebels) that being punished for working on fleet compositions is mitigated.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    As it currently stands, conquering the fleet territory is worth about 30 points less than conquering a squad territory. That means that if you have one squad that your opponent doesn’t beat, you can completely ignore fleets and still win.

Similarly, if you have one fleet, which your opponent doesn't beat, you can completely ignore squad defense, save each and every strong and mediocre team for offense, let your opponent clear your squads with 64 points each and still win.

In those two scenarios your win or loss is due to who has counter teams and who doesn't. It's not really the scoring system.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Do the math on GP per banner sometime. A fleet is about 4-5x the GP value of a squad.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    As it currently stands, conquering the fleet territory is worth about 30 points less than conquering a squad territory. That means that if you have one squad that your opponent doesn’t beat, you can completely ignore fleets and still win.

Similarly, if you have one fleet, which your opponent doesn't beat, you can completely ignore squad defense, save each and every strong and mediocre team for offense, let your opponent clear your squads with 64 points each and still win.

In those two scenarios your win or loss is due to who has counter teams and who doesn't. It's not really the scoring system.

The only way you can have a fleet that your opponent can’t beat is if they are either really bad, or played a poor strategy. You only need one good fleet to clear the board. Conversely, you need at least 7 good squads to clear your opponent’s defenses (more if you want to put up defenses yourself), which becomes harder the larger the GP gap. For example, my opponent has 500K more squad GP than I do, whereas his ship GP is about even. That means I’m stuck fighting all squads with 1-2 gear tiers higher than my counters. If I fail to beat even 1 squad, and he fails to beat my ships, he wins based on the extra 30 points you get for clearing a squad territory over a fleet. It just seems like the way GA is set up, it discourages growing your fleet (and lets be honest, since they can’t be used for much else, is it any wonder a lot of players just ignore them?).
  • Options

It just seems like the way GA is set up, it discourages growing your fleet (and lets be honest, since they can’t be used for much else, is it any wonder a lot of players just ignore them?).

400 crystals per day > GA wins
  • Options

It just seems like the way GA is set up, it discourages growing your fleet (and lets be honest, since they can’t be used for much else, is it any wonder a lot of players just ignore them?).

This^
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    For example, my opponent has 500K more squad GP than I do, whereas his ship GP is about even. That means I’m stuck fighting all squads with 1-2 gear tiers higher than my counters.
    Sounds like your squad roster is too top-heavy. Granted the Negotiator fleet pushes you in that direction but it is still something you can work on.
  • Options

Absolutely. The only reason I even play GA is for the 6E mod materials. Otherwise it’s way overlong and underfun.

• Options
    The GAC and TW maps both need an overhaul as we have significantly more viable teams and several more capital ships from when they were designed....especially TW.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

The only way you can have a fleet that your opponent can’t beat is if they are either really bad, or played a poor strategy.

And the ways you can have a squad that your opponent can't beat are.....?
    If I fail to beat even 1 squad, and he fails to beat my ships, he wins based on the extra 30 points you get for clearing a squad territory over a fleet.

If your opponent fails to beat your fleet you could have increased your chances of winning by applying the strategy, I mentioned earlier. You would have won if only you cleared the board no matter how many tries it took to take down that last squad. If you have nothing that beats that last team then that's the reason you lose.

I don't regret that I grew my fleet to include Negotiator. I would have been in big trouble in GAs if I hadn't.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    If you have a squad you know your opponent can’t beat,.

Annnnnnnd this is why GAC is beyond stupid.... if match is predetermined why should anyone gove a crap....

Set one team screw the guy out of whatever you can then on to the next dumb mAtchup
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

Annnnnnnd this is why GAC is beyond stupid.... if match is predetermined why should anyone gove a crap....

Set one team screw the guy out of whatever you can then on to the next dumb mAtchup

c81.gif
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options

Screwing somebody out of whatever you can is an interesting take on winning a competition.
    I’m not saying matches are predetermined, if you don’t have the counters needed to win or use poor strategy, you earned the loss.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

Screwing somebody out of whatever you can is an interesting take on winning a competition.
    I’m not saying matches are predetermined, if you don’t have the counters needed to win or use poor strategy, you earned the loss.
    I would say it is immature, juvenile, childish, pathetic even.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Setting a team that you know your opponent can’t beat is immature, juvenile, childish and pathetic?

No, setting one team instead of eight.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

Setting a team that you know your opponent can’t beat is immature, juvenile, childish and pathetic?
    Not at all. That is strategy.

But Dk was talking about setting only one squad period, thus disabling auto-deploy and leaving his opponent with the win but with no way to work on feats. A spiteful, immature form of protest against the system which does.not actually have any effect on the system, only on his opponent who has no say in the way the system operates.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

But Dk was talking about setting only one squad period, thus disabling auto-deploy and leaving his opponent with the win but with no way to work on feats. A spiteful, immature form of protest against the system which does.not actually have any effect on the system, only on his opponent who has no say in the way the system operates.

Didn’t seem like that’s what sithvicious, who DK quoted was talking about.

It went from, setting a team you know your opponent can’t beat, especially to block off back territory is a solid strategy

to

setting one team on D to screw your opponent out of feats.

Dk was talking about screwing your opponent by setting one team.

SV said you have one squad your opponent can't beat, Dk responded to that by saying it makes GAC stupid and that's why he sets just a single team to screw the guy who can set that unbeatable team. And that's the part that Rath said was childish etc.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Meh boooo hoooooo

Devs wont fix it so must be intended
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Returning to the OP's question..

Assuming the matchmaker is adding top 2 capital ship and top 14 fighter GP to top {x} toon GP the fleet battle & zone would be worth around 1/3 - 1/4 the banners/GP of a comparable squad & zone.

Raising the banner value of the fleet / fleet zone fixes that inequality but makes the fleet zone by far the most important on the.map, trading one balance issue for another.

A better way to fix the inequality would be to add up top 2 cap ship & top 14 fighter GP then divide it by 3 or 4 to value the fleet around the same as a comparable squad for matchmaking purposes.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Trust me, fleets are worth what they should be. Making them worth any more would make them overpowered. OBSERVE!

smhsymxcxd8e.jpeg
    This is my opponent. What an absolute beefcake! Look at those sith! Hot diggity...

8mk1dayrfj1z.jpeg
    zkw1o58z4sar.jpeg
    Here we are as of this morning. If my opponent has a third offensive fleet and can crack mine, they will still lose. Now let's look at their defenses compared to mine:

9r9ec3h1ll58.jpeg
    ynmg4fuu8gxz.jpeg
    I put trash on defense that they easily full-cleared, likely with minimal protection damage and almost certainly with understrength teams meaning they must have gotten 60 points each round (I'm not going to do math, I don't care. You do it.) while I was up against some beefy defense teams that meant I had to use full squads and took more than one attempt at times.

tl;dr: My opponent cleared me effortlessly, I managed to clear them with a lot of difficulty. If they beat my fleet on the third try they would STILL be behind. This'd be the only battle where they didn't have a first round win and they'd still lose.

Fleet value is fine.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Your ability to beat an opponent does not mean that fleets are balanced in GAC.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options

I think NicWester's point is that despite OP's contention that fleets are not worth enough, fleets are the reason he was able to win a match against an extremely difficult opponent and thus they are worth at least "enough."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

I think NicWester's point is that despite OP's contention that fleets are not worth enough, fleets are the reason he was able to win a match against an extremely difficult opponent and thus they are worth at least "enough."
    The ability of a player to beat an opponent does not prove or disprove balance any more than posting a 0/5 result on shard sims proves that the drop rate was nerfed.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

The ability of a player to beat an opponent does not prove or disprove balance any more than posting a 0/5 result on shard sims proves that the drop rate was nerfed.

Devoid of context, yes,sure. The ability to win doesn't prove anything other than the win.

However once you introduce context, such as only winning because two fleet losses wiped out all their bonus points from no losses, smaller squads, and lack of damage while also wiping out my own failures--then it means something.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Devoid of context, yes,sure. The ability to win doesn't prove anything other than the win.

However once you introduce context, such as only winning because two fleet losses wiped out all their bonus points from no losses, smaller squads, and lack of damage while also wiping out my own failures--then it means something.
    Not, it still does not prove or disprove anything balance-wise. It is a single data-point among hundreds of thousands of matches.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    I'm all for fleets factoring in more on gac. CG drags their feet on this front, because of the ever perpetuated hatred of ships in the playerbase.