Developer Q&A - 04/23/2020

Replies

• Options
    Man, so next month you'll put out a road ahead that tells us that maybe we'll get something that isn't a raid to do by the end of the year? :disappointed: Idk if you know this, but we are incredibly bored with the game, GA is the only interesting game mode, and even then, it's like an hour of gameplay every other day at most.
  • Options
    On the character inventory page, a player may select a filter to show Rebels, Empire, First Order etc. That being said, more and more characters have multiple tags these days. While I can select Separatists or Droids, I cannot select Separatist Droids. Do you think being able to select multiple tags would make for a good QOL update?
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    Q: You mentioned once that Geo TB would go to a 4 24 hour phase cycle, to total 4 days. Is this still planned, or has this idea been scrapped?

A: CG_Coffee - Personally I love the idea but we've heard conflicting opinions from the community. I'm happy to hear from players which setup they prefer and why.
    I was initially against 24 hours but seeing as most of the LS TB is GP dump, and battles are quick, I am starting to prefer 24 hour format as long as that opens the calendar for 4 Territory Battles per month with 1 TW after each TB end (one TB / TW per week)

Can Crumb make a poll on this so that everyone has a chance to weigh in on their preference?
  • Options
    whats the word on Relic 7 abilities?
  • Options
    I’d like to ask if the team could at the least take into consideration bringing more, fun, single player oriented content because currently a lot of the big, rewarding content is locked behind guilds, and I would prefer to enjoy my experience my own way rather than by someone else’s rules without my progression being so drastically slowed by it.
  • HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options
    Q: Are there plans to give us 8 full fleets worth of ships? There are currently 8 capital ships, but only 41 smaller ships. At the 7 smaller ships per fleet, we would need 56 ships to round this out. It might be a great opportunity to add value to generic pilots such as TFP and Resistance Pilot by giving them more than one ship to pilot. We need more ships and more opportunities to use ships in non-PVP modes.

A: CG_Tophat - We're releasing all sorts of ships. We don't release ships to the idea of having x number of complete fleets. We release them in response to the meta to drive changes in the meta. My hope is that we have many full potential fleets in the future. Regarding more opportunities to use ships, agreed - we're looking into adding more defenses to GAC and we're working on creating some more spaces to play with them.

That was my question from the Survey and I would like to ask a clarifying question. Does "working on creating some more spaces to play with them" imply the possibility of seeing more ship based PVE content?
  • CnKBski
    13 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi guys. Why u dont let us change our arena&fleet shards or rotate them periodically? Arenas are very important for crystal gain and i think it s not fair atm. Here, i m a launch player but i had to quit game when i changed my phone. Cause there was no acc transfer between ios and android. Now i reactivated my acc at last but this time i stuck in arenas with players who continued to play when i was away. And now there is a big gap between us. They are all 5-6gp and 2-3 year more playing time. No chance to catch them. To be fair can u think to give players option to change their shards once in playlife? At least for situation like mine. Or u can add divisions to arena aswell. Ex when a player reached 85 he can be moved to an new shard. Thx for reply
  • Options
    Any word on if/when we will get a 2020 QoL update?
  • Spears
    7 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Can you give any information at all on what exactly you've been working on?

In this Q&A we've gotten confirmation about (i) no raid coming, (ii) no sandbox mode coming, (iii) no touch-ups for the GL prereqs coming, (iv) no reworks for GR Jedi, (v) no new characters from the new season of The Clone Wars, (vi) no live PvP. So any positive news at all to share?
  • Options
    no more clone wars in the near future? we have had Bad batch. Commander rex with the awesome Ahsoka helmet 332nd. possibility for "crimson dawn" maul. Bo-Katan but no plans in the near future for any of this? thats very very disappointing to hear!
  • Yotommy
    94 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Question for Art -

Why does Ray have a Potato as a head?
  • Options
    Could we see health and TM % during a match? It's really hard to tell if a toon has 61% or 59% health - which is won/loss relevant with toons like Rey.
  • Options
    More or less every answer you gave to content is that you are not working on it at this time and would like to, is there anything, anything at all you can tell us on what you are working on?
  • Options
    Wow, what a disappointing q&a.... I mean you usually don’t tell us anything to begin with. But the fact that you are admitting that you aren’t doing anything and have nothing planned is pretty disappointing. Talk about mailing it in.
  • Options
    How can you say a small group want sandbox when it's on EVERY Q&A?? We want to be able to play your game! You can't even PAY to keep battling in arena cause there's cap on refreshes. Why don't you want us to play your game??
  • Options
    Funny how this Q&A gives a negative impression overall in the state of the game. If you dont tackle the hard questions its gonna get rough...
  • Options
    kirusamaea wrote: »
    (buying packs is not something to do)

never agreed more
    Lord of Hunger. At least for junk food that is
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    GroovieR wrote: »
    Funny how this Q&A gives a negative impression overall in the state of the game. If you dont tackle the hard questions its gonna get rough...
    All they did was answer the hard questions imo

Hopefully the upcoming solo player content they are focused on is very good and worth the wait
  • Vendraen
    90 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I am usually a CG defender/been accused of "fanboy."

But today, the backpedaling is a bit....over the top. On 10/2, CG_Vyeking said this about the sandbox mode requests/demands:
    A: CG_Vyeking - This is not only a popular request from players outside the studio, but is one of the most popular feature requests from players inside the studio. An engaging sandbox feature is an important part of the future feature set for SWGoH and, while we cannot tell you exactly when this feature will make it to the holotables, we can tell you with certainty that a plan for this feature is 'in-the-books' as the saying goes.

Today the team acts like that was never said and ... I'm a bit angry about that.

Seriously, guys, you can't backpedal like that. There's an archive.
  • Options
    I normally read these and just go with the flow of all the non-answers and mostly disappointment at the lack of information. But this answer really rang my **** meter:

"A: CG_Cyanides - The answer is actually due to some technical limitations. When we originally designed the Scavenger, we set it up for all gear pieces to be included. Once we got further in the process however, we had to make decisions on which pieces of gear could be converted as we could not support having all gear pieces included."

Are you saying that while having 96 gear scavenging options for Carbonite you can't do more than 12 for Electrium? Or 6 for Zinbiddle? That's a scam if I ever heard one.

Why can't you just be honest and say that you wanted to limit them so we would be forced to spend $/crystals? We all know that's the reason.

I think it's not content that is the most lacking from CG, but honesty.
  • Options
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    TOPIC: Art/Sound

Q: Something with GL Rey's face looks off, why is it so hard to capture female faces?
    • A: CG_RagingSpaniard - This is a good chance to talk about process and to clear up a few misconceptions. Lets get into it

Female faces are challenging with low poly budgets. Even though we increased our poly count by double, our direct competitors literally use 3x the amount of polys our new models do. Your follow up would be "then why dont you do the same” and that comes down to a decision we made a long time ago to make sure that Galaxy of Heroes would be playable on a very wide variety of devices. The more we push into higher poly count, the more we exclude some Star Wars fans. It’s a delicate balance and we err towards letting more players play.

To give you a concrete SWGoH example, the WIP model for GL Rey that was shared in our State of the Galaxy reports is the exact same model and texture that was used in game, and the exact same model that was used in our promotional videos. I read a lot of comments along the lines of "why did they change the mode;" or "why didnt they use the one from the youtube video". We did - we had to lower the texture resolution in-game and we don't get the benefits of the fancy lighting and shaders you have at your disposal when making a promotional video, but it’s the same asset throughout, even for her unit icon. Same thing with the Cara Dune model used for promo materials this week. Same model and texture, but the texture is uncompressed and there's fancy shaders and lighting we can't replicate in-game.

Conventionally attractive female faces are hard to caricaturize, it's a typical challenge any artist faces. Daisy Ridley is a very beautiful woman and she comes with a very precise set of challenges when it comes to bring her into our art style because depending on the angle her face shape changes a fair amount, meaning that if you model her to look just like the reference from the front, her 3/4 view may look like a different person altogether, same with the profile view and so on. More unique looking faces like Adam Driver's or Oscar Isaac's are much easier to capture likeness wise because they are much easier to stylize and remain in-character, but it's not even a male to female comparison, Mark Hammill and Harrison Ford look like different people every time I see a photo of them, yet they remain recognizable - it’s a difficult challenge. To lead into the next question, Gina Carano, who is also a very beautiful woman, has particular facial traits that make it much easier to slightly exaggerate her features to make her more recognizable.

[
    [/list]

I don't usually complain about your responses on these, but this is just not a good look, guys. "Women are hard because most look the same"? You really need to do better than that.
  • CG_SBCrumb
    685 posts EA Community Manager
    Options
    Thanks for coming folks. Got a few most answers to post but sending these people back to work.

Reminder: These Q&As are not for announcing new content or features. This is an opportunity to ask the development team question about the game.
  • Options
    Thanks for coming folks. Got a few most answers to post but sending these people back to work.

Reminder: These Q&As are not for announcing new content or features. This is an opportunity to ask the development team question about the game.

Back to work? Doesn’t sound like they are doing any work at all right now.
  • HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options

Crumb, while these Q/As are not meant for those purposes there are times where you guys will give the community a bone or two. This Q/A has given us alot of responses as to projects you are not working on, but very little for the community to look forward to. Could we at least get a puzzle for old times sake?
  • Options
    Jeez 80% art work questions and answers
  • GroovieR
    26 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Jpfit262 wrote: »

They are working....However, I dont know why they are so stubborn in working on something not asked by the community though.

• Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    GroovieR wrote: »
    All they did was answer the hard questions imo

Hopefully the upcoming solo player content they are focused on is very good and worth the wait

They definitely didn't avoid the questions. The answers weren't what I was looking forward to reading. The solo player content is something I look forward to doing.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options
    So as others have pointed out it sounds like you're not working on anything interesting except something that 'benefits a wider range of players' i.e. something new players can do immediately also because thats where the money is.

There is no raid coming.
    There is no GAC i can play vs my guildmate because your applying false data to the idea of it.
    You didn't answer any 'hard' questions (despite ultra's opinion)
    And nothing accounts for what you have been doing this first quarter
    AND lets not forget, the dev tracker has been dead since the start of the year

I came here expecting nothing and i have been disappointed
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options
    Things that should have been said here today:

- yes we will be giving 'touch ups' to the 'less utilized' toons that we made a requirement for acquiring the GLs. We knowingly made you gear terrible toons that have no real use in the game and we'd like to bring them up to speed
    - yes mace will be getting a rework along with some other touch ups for 2 or 3 of the jedi council faction tag because we know that lsgeotb difficulty is too much.
    - thank you for your feedback about the duel and GL events we are sorry that we delivered a lazy event, here are 2 CWC shards as compensation
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Jpfit262 wrote: »

Oof, what a zinger!