Only Do 3v3 From Now On Please

13Next

Replies

• Monel
    2789 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Brute is an abomination, the game is not built around 6v5, nerf plz.

literally unwinnable
  • Monel
    2789 posts Member
    Options
    I like 3v3 GAC. 3 characters and 3 letters, its symmetrical just like my fase
  • WhoDat
    55 posts Member
    Options
    3v3 on rotation, but definitely not always and definitely not never... would be interesting to see something like 5v5, 3v3, 5v5, 4v4
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Seems like some only want 3v3, and some don't want any 3v3, so maybe a nice balance? Say once every 3-6 months?

This is what’s wrong with 3v3 IMO though. It’s a half baked mode that frustrates people because it’s not used anywhere else. I say either go all out with 3v3 and incorporate it all over the game and maybe even design 3v3 only abilities for characters or don’t use it at all.
    What is half-baked about it?

The mode is GAC not 3v3. 3v3 is just a variant. Really isn't any different from having ally toons available in some modes but not others and even 5v5 isn't pure these days with the introduction of Geo Brood Alpha and ARC Trooper.

The idea that the whole game is supposed to be 5v5 is a steaming load of bovine waste byproduct.

- It’s half baked because there has been no effort to develop 3v3 gameplay. No 3v3 specific character or abilities, no uses for it anywhere else outside of 12 GAC matchups every 6 months. People call ships half baked, and this has been developed way less than ships.

- Ally toons don’t count, they aren’t intended to be balanced (hello level 30 character using relic SLKR In battles), and pretty much nobody who is at the point of serious GAC play cares one bit about campaign mode/challenge/etc gameplay.

- Equating arc trooper and GBA abilities to 3v3 gameplay doesn’t even warrant a response.

I don’t care if you like 3v3. That’s fine. It’s pretty clear from my previous comment that I’m fine with the concept. I just think if they are going to do it they need to do it. Throwing it out there every 6 months just for the heck of it is a terrible way to run A competitive game mode IMO.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member
    Options
    Seems like some only want 3v3, and some don't want any 3v3, so maybe a nice balance? Say once every 3-6 months?

This is what’s wrong with 3v3 IMO though. It’s a half baked mode that frustrates people because it’s not used anywhere else. I say either go all out with 3v3 and incorporate it all over the game and maybe even design 3v3 only abilities for characters or don’t use it at all.

The mode is GAC not 3v3. 3v3 is just a variant. Really isn't any different from having ally toons available in some modes but not others and even 5v5 isn't pure these days with the introduction of Geo Brood Alpha and ARC Trooper.

The idea that the whole game is supposed to be 5v5 is a steaming load of bovine waste byproduct.

- It’s half baked because there has been no effort to develop 3v3 gameplay. No 3v3 specific character or abilities, no uses for it anywhere else outside of 12 GAC matchups every 6 months. People call ships half baked, and this has been developed way less than ships.

- Ally toons don’t count, they aren’t intended to be balanced (hello level 30 character using relic SLKR In battles), and pretty much nobody who is at the point of serious GAC play cares one bit about campaign mode/challenge/etc gameplay.

- Equating arc trooper and GBA abilities to 3v3 gameplay doesn’t even warrant a response.

I don’t care if you like 3v3. That’s fine. It’s pretty clear from my previous comment that I’m fine with the concept. I just think if they are going to do it they need to do it. Throwing it out there every 6 months just for the heck of it is a terrible way to run A competitive game mode IMO.

Why is it a terrible way to run a competitive game mode? IMO 3v3 is actually a better show of who is "better" at GAC. 3v3 puts all players on a more even prior knowledge footing, as we have no place to do testing for these teams. With less past experience to draw upon, a player must have a strong grasp on the kits and synergies of their roster to succeed.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options

Why is it a terrible way to run a competitive game mode? IMO 3v3 is actually a better show of who is "better" at GAC. 3v3 puts all players on a more even prior knowledge footing, as we have no place to do testing for these teams. With less past experience to draw upon, a player must have a strong grasp on the kits and synergies of their roster to succeed.

To me that is just insane. Can you imagine if you suggested changing the rules of a basketball game or a football game for random seasons, and argued that it should better determine who is truly more talented, and not simply who prepares better?
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    While 3v3 is growing on me, I still wish there was some way to test teams out against other players
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »

To me that is just insane. Can you imagine if you suggested changing the rules of a basketball game or a football game for random seasons, and argued that it should better determine who is truly more talented, and not simply who prepares better?

Not really the best analogy. This is just a video game we’re playing for funsies.

Funsies, speak for yourself.

What is best in SWGoH?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their rebels.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • MasterSeedy
    5194 posts Member
    Options

I can imagine having a basketball skills competition to prove whose more talented, since it can be very difficult to compare a Jabbar to a Jordan. I can imagine it set up so that the participants don't know in advance what baskets they'll be called on to shoot or how, exactly, the rebounding competition will work. Sprints might be optional, or might be embedded into another task, like a fast break simulation where if you don't get back soon enough you get dunked on. Such things might measure "talent" rather than "preparation" where your team is playing a specific opponent and your coach chooses to feed you the ball more or less based on what the matchups look like that night. That seems a completely reasonable way to check athleticism and basketball ability rather than preparation and how your skill set fits with a specific game plan.

I can also imagine a group of athletes participating in different fighting leagues many with more / fewer / different rules about what types of strikes, holds, and takedowns are allowed, and targeting what body parts.

Say one of those athletes shows up to a fight and finds out that their favorite submission move is a disallowed chokehold in this fight, and they still adapt and win the fight under the different rules. That might provide some evidence that they're just a better "fighter" in a general sense, and not someone who rigidly clings to a certain form of combat because that's the only kind they'll ever be any good at.

Someone who can wrestle and box and use tae kwan do and kickbox and also do FFA MMA fights and remain competitive in all of them is much more likely to be the "better fighter" in my opinion than someone who only boxes, no matter if they're Sugar Ray or Ali.

As for changing the rules at the last minute - well, with actual human bodies, not having a chance to prepare for a specific style of competition probably makes you more susceptible to injury, so I doubt you'll ever see fights where the fighters aren't told the rules in advance. But in video games, that's not a concern. And besides, you do get the rules in advance. Only a couple days in advance, but it's not like you have to train or risk breaking your collar bone.
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member
    Options

I think the poster above me made a much better attempt at explaining why this sports analogy is bad, but just to reiterate: it is bad. GAC is not a competition between a team of individuals under a specific set of rules, and 3v3 is not even close to "changing the rules of basketball of football randomly".

No abilities change, the way TM is gained doesn't change, none of the core rules of the game change. All that changes is the number of characters on the field. Even the scoring rules don't change, there are just less characters meaning less available banners per battle. GAC is a test of how well you use your collection of characters, but i guess some players don't want to actually be challenged on their knowledge of kits and synergy
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options

looks like Bulldog is in the always run 3v3 camp with me!
    Maybe End Game isn't for you