Darth Sidious - Kit Rework Idea

Basic - Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Healing Immunity for 3 turns with a 50% chance (doubled if the target is debuffed) to ignore Defense. This attack can't be countered or evaded.

Special - Cooldown 5 - Deal Physical damage to all enemies 2 times and inflict Stagger and Expose for 2 turns, which can't be resisted. Then remove 50% turn meter from them and swap Turn Meter with the target Sith or Separatist ally. This attack can't be countered or evaded.

Special - Cooldown 3 - Deal Physical damage to target enemy 2 times. Then, Stun them for 1 turn and inflict Speed Down on them for 3 turns, which can't be dispelled or resisted. This attack ignores armor and can't be countered or evaded.

Leader - All allies gain 15% Critical Chance and 30% Critical Damage. Sith allies gain 2% Offense until the end of encounter when they score a Critical Hit.

Unique - Darth Sidious recovers 20% of his Max Protection and gains 50% Turn Meter whenever any unit is defeated. In addition, he has +35% Evasion against Jedi attacks, +50% Potency, gains Max Protection equal to his Potency percentage, and can't lose Health until he has lost all of his protection.

Darth Sidious has high protection, average health, high potency, average tenacity, and high speed.
Feedback is appreciated on this kit!

Replies

• Options
    Ask for feedback and ye shall receive.
    Basic - Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Healing Immunity for 3 turns with a 50% chance (doubled if the target is debuffed) to ignore Defense. This attack can't be countered or evaded.
    It's basically the same as what we currently have in the game. Only it can't be Countered or Evaded. This pops up a lot throughout the rest of the kit as well and, I'll be hones, I don't like it. It feels like it wasn't added to represent the character better or to help with the any theme or identity of the kit. But instead just to add power. Just adding power for the sake of adding power is something I don't like.
    Special - Cooldown 5 - Deal Physical damage to all enemies 2 times and inflict Stagger and Expose for 2 turns, which can't be resisted. Then remove 50% turn meter from them and swap Turn Meter with the target Sith or Separatist ally. This attack can't be countered or evaded.
    There is a lot wrong with this ability. First of all: why does it both inflict stagger and remove 50% Turn Meter? Stagger literally removes all turn meter from a character, which can't be Resisted. So having both stagger and turn meter removal on the same ability is just pointless. On top of that it's an AoE that damages all enemies twice. Why? I mean for a single target ability I can understand that, but for an AoE? Seems like overkill. Or, again, adding power for the sake of power.
    There is also the swapping of turn meter. This one just makes no sense to me. Darth Sidious isn't a battlefield commander like Thrawn or Jedi Knight Revan. He's a manipulator. So a swapping of turn meter, or even the grating of turn meter or bonus turns doesn't fit him at all in my opinion. It feels out of place.
    There is also the can't be resisted part, but I'll get into more detail about that in the unique.
    Special - Cooldown 3 - Deal Physical damage to target enemy 2 times. Then, Stun them for 1 turn and inflict Speed Down on them for 3 turns, which can't be dispelled or resisted. This attack ignores armor and can't be countered or evaded.
    While I like the idea of an ability that helps him focus down an enemy more. This one feels overkill. I mean a Stun that can't be Evaded, Resisted or Dispelled on a non-event character? Especially one that is already present in the game for a long time. Feels way too broken to be honest. Also the speed down is a tad too long for a 3 turn ability, especially with the can't be anything attached to it as well.
    Leader - All allies gain 15% Critical Chance and 30% Critical Damage. Sith allies gain 2% Offense until the end of encounter when they score a Critical Hit.
    This has no changes, which I think is a sin in and of itself. I mean it's Sidious. The person that manipulated everybody in the prequels. He does deserve a better leadership than this. But otherwise nothing to say about it.
    Unique - Darth Sidious recovers 20% of his Max Protection and gains 50% Turn Meter whenever any unit is defeated. In addition, he has +35% Evasion against Jedi attacks, +50% Potency, gains Max Protection equal to his Potency percentage, and can't lose Health until he has lost all of his protection.
    The only thing that bothers me here is what I've mentioned before: What is the point of making a character have high amounts of Potency if almost all effects from them can't be Resisted? It really feels out of sync.
    My conclusion is that in this rework idea you, didn't go far enough. This might sound weird after all the talk about power. But I believe that is the core of the problem. You bound yourself to what is already currently in game while still wanting to make them viable in today's meta. This resulted in you adding all kinds of powerful effects just for the sake of power, resulting in a kit with no theme, identity, or focus. That doesn't mean there are no good idea's in this thou. The change to Protection instead of Health is a really good one. As most Sith already have Health Recovery in their team and/or lead. not to mentioned the double hitting, which is a good idea for a charterer that benefits from characters being defeated. This kit is definitely a step in the right direction. It just needed another step or 2 away from what is in the game and towards something entirely new.

I made a Rework idea of Darth Sidious myself quite a while ago. I consider it to be one of my best works yet, so I would really like it if you checked it out. It's focused on creating a powerhouse attacker that becomes stronger as the battle goes on. (thus being really good in battles that last long). You can find it here, if you're interested: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/204282/darth-sidious-rework-idea
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options
    #keepsidiousthesame

Potency = health = meat shield..

Does he really need a change when so few people actually understand what he does?
  • Options
    Damodamo wrote: »
    #keepsidiousthesame
    Potency = health = meat shield..
    Does he really need a change when so few people actually understand what he does?
    @Damodamo your post is a prime example why he does need a change. Darth Sidious has Healing Immunity on basic, DoT and Expose on special, Critical Chance, Critical Damage, and Offence on lead, and gains bonuses when units are defeated. It's clear he's an offensive character. He should be dealing high amounts of damage to kill enemies. But, as you so nicely put it, he's currently only good as a mean shield, the exact opposite of what he is supposed to be.
    So yes, very few people understand what he does, because his kit has aged so poorly he is practically unable to do it (and you clearly aren't a part of the few that do know, thou I hope I managed to change that). Which is why he needs an update.
  • Damodamo
    1586 posts Member
    Options
    @Ichiraikou i know how to utilise the character as is, the fact that he is better as a 5th on a treya team than as a leader, doesn’t automatically require him to be updated.

Plus, a rework of what is essentially a niche toon, from films that have already been covered, is neither likely to happen or even remotely likely to happen. There are a multitude of other toons that have been calling out for and requested over and over again, these haven’t happened. So sidious is unlikely to happen outside of speculation.

I prefer to deal with the reality of a toons kit, rather than theorise what it could do in a fantasised rework.

Sorry!
  • Options
    Ichiraikou, well firstly the basic is good as it is, but sidious basically is a master of lightsaber forms, and preventing counters and evasions sound good. The first special inflicts stagger, which removes turn meter when they are damaged. So when an ally of Sidious attacks, the opponents will have more turn meter, and this will be a double up. The cooldown for the is high too. And also Sidious does not deal a lot of damage and the two times damage is his two lightsaber, which is self explanatory, so it's not overkill. The second special is a means of slowing the enemy, and the cooldown, I accidentally put 3 instead of 4, so not overkill. The leader seemed fine, and there are other better seperatist leaders out there. The unique's extra potency is because Sidious has big cooldowns right? So the basic is used the most. The basic's debuffs can't be resisted. The potency helps with that. Thanks for the feedback though!
  • Options
    Damodamo wrote: »
    @Ichiraikou i know how to utilise the character as is, the fact that he is better as a 5th on a treya team than as a leader, doesn’t automatically require him to be updated.

Plus, a rework of what is essentially a niche toon, from films that have already been covered, is neither likely to happen or even remotely likely to happen. There are a multitude of other toons that have been calling out for and requested over and over again, these haven’t happened. So sidious is unlikely to happen outside of speculation.

I prefer to deal with the reality of a toons kit, rather than theorise what it could do in a fantasised rework.

Sorry!

I never said that was the reason he needed a rework. So that statement is a Straw Man. I believe he needs a rework because he is the main villain of the prequels. The man that literally played chess against himself with 2 armies and manipulated the chosen one into being his apprentice. He is also designed as a damaged focused character, but has aged so poorly he can't fulfill that function anymore. I can see what you mean thou. I do also use him as a 5th on a Traya team, but on the form I do like to theorize more. Even if I don't do that in the game. I can understand your standpoint as well thou.
    Ichiraikou, well firstly the basic is good as it is, but sidious basically is a master of lightsaber forms, and preventing counters and evasions sound good. The first special inflicts stagger, which removes turn meter when they are damaged. So when an ally of Sidious attacks, the opponents will have more turn meter, and this will be a double up. The cooldown for the is high too. And also Sidious does not deal a lot of damage and the two times damage is his two lightsaber, which is self explanatory, so it's not overkill. The second special is a means of slowing the enemy, and the cooldown, I accidentally put 3 instead of 4, so not overkill. The leader seemed fine, and there are other better seperatist leaders out there. The unique's extra potency is because Sidious has big cooldowns right? So the basic is used the most. The basic's debuffs can't be resisted. The potency helps with that. Thanks for the feedback though!

This response...worries me. Like seriously. I mean look at what you said on the first special. The turn meter removal and the stagger are a double tap. Except it seems you forgot you added a turn meter swap to the ability, which makes it so another ally immediately takes another turn, without anyone on the field being able to gain any turn meter. So due to this allies attack, enemies will loose exactly the same amount of turn meter whether the 50% reduction is there or not. How is that not overkill? Also double attacks on an AoE just because he has 2 lighsabers, on a character that has Crit Chance, Crit Damage, and Offence as his mastery? Again, how is that not overkill? Slowing enemies down by stunning them, which can't be resisted, dispelled or evaded (which only a Galactic Legend has at this point). Once again, how is that not overkill?
    Especially the point on the first special just tells me you don't know your own kit, which solidifies the idea that you've just added them for the sake on adding them (or power for the sake of power). That really worries me.
    I guess in the end we just disagree. Which is fine in and of itself. I would still like it if you took a look and gave feedback on my version of him thou.