Galactic War retreat/retry burnout is the greatest threat to me playing the game

Puglio
161 posts Member
It is exhausting and not fun. As game designers know, players will make themselves miserable doing whatever is the best way to progress or win. It is the job of the designer to make that activity fun.

Fortunately I've noticed myself caring less and less about the game as a result and have backed off a bit. On the other hand, GW is the only engaging part of the game. The rest is autobattle or Sim for shards/gear. There's the Arena, but I only do that 3x a day for the daily objective because I know I'll never get into the next reward bracket.

Part of the frustration might be balance; that my squad isn't as powerful as the game thinks it is. I run a Nightsister team, so no Lumi, Phasma, Sid, Dooku... I don't even have the last three because I don't want to. Meanwhile my power rating is probably similar to theirs, so the matchmaker mistakenly thinks I'm, well, an even match.

Replies

• BeWary
    367 posts Member
    Options
    Agreed. They really need to rework GW. It really is the only thing worth "playing" each day, and when it's tedious, the game quickly loses appeal.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    I would love to see the old (non-reset) retreat brought back to the GW. It was much more strategic when that was active.
  • Pooket
    46 posts Member
    Options
    Please don't think this post is me saying 'I am great and don't have a problem' I have been where you are in the past and worked through it. A while a go I would spend hours retreating and retrying battles until though the luck of the force I somehow was lucky enough to win. It a lot easier with an appropriate GW team.

I used to use the old style retreat function a lot to complete GW but actually prefer the new reset style as you don't accidentally loose a character you cant get back.

If you are running a night sister squad (which I think is very cool and would like) your healing isn't great.

Ideally you need someone that can 1 shot (or nearly 1 shot) Sid as almost every team has him - get that healing immunity out the way ways. (Any character with an assisted attack is useful here GS, 86, QGJ)
    Then you need to be able to rotate your healing. GW is all about cooldown management - you don't want to kill the opponents too soon or you start the next battle with no specials.

I almost exclusively use the following team.

SID (L)
    Lumi
    Daka
    JC
    GS

GS can usually take out SID first turn with his assist attack - if not the next person (usually daka) will

I make sure I either have Lumi's heal or JC and Daka ready for the start of each battle
    Always make sure GS hs his special ready too.

I realise it takes time to get a decent GW team in place - I have been playing (and spending) for a while now to do it.

IMO it is worth concentrating on GW though as it is the source of far more resources for you than arena - With the new update I think I will be focusing more on completing GW every day than arean as grinding the new gear levels is going to be extream.

I hope this information is useful
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    Puglio wrote: »
    It is exhausting and not fun. As game designers know, players will make themselves miserable doing whatever is the best way to progress or win. It is the job of the designer to make that activity fun.

Fortunately I've noticed myself caring less and less about the game as a result and have backed off a bit. On the other hand, GW is the only engaging part of the game. The rest is autobattle or Sim for shards/gear. There's the Arena, but I only do that 3x a day for the daily objective because I know I'll never get into the next reward bracket.

Part of the frustration might be balance; that my squad isn't as powerful as the game thinks it is. I run a Nightsister team, so no Lumi, Phasma, Sid, Dooku... I don't even have the last three because I don't want to. Meanwhile my power rating is probably similar to theirs, so the matchmaker mistakenly thinks I'm, well, an even match.

He runs night sisters! EVERYONE POINT AND LAUGH! LAUGH AT HIM!

Joking aside,

Yea Night sisters are not that fun for GW. GW is all about healing and Daka/Talia just cant keep pace to Lumi/JC/Bariss.

I complete GW everyday with:
    Dooku lead
    GS
    Lumi
    JC
    Sid

I swap JC for talia sometimes or throw in IG88, but for the most part I have no issues with GW
  • Options
    I run Ventress (Lead), Talia, Lumi, GS & Royal Guard.

When I hit a particularly difficult node (don't think it ever happens before node 9) I sometimes have to let RG die. Then I bring in Poe or Chewie. For node 12 I send in a suicide squad first to soften them up and waste their specials. Then they kill my suicidals and I bring in my main squad again, and mop the floor with my 3 3* and 2 4* toons against toons that are all 5* and 10 levels above me. Seriously, cooldown purgatory devastates them. You have to have enough toons to waste, and you have to be strong enough to only do this once or twice during a single day's Galactic War, but if you have 15+ toons, and if your suicide squad is within 10 levels of your main squad (20 levels of the squad to which they are fated to die), you should do fine.

In addition to your suicide squad, it's a good idea to have a strong B team. But since you should be keeping 10 strong characters anyway (5 light & 5 dark) that shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you have at least 2 taunting characters that you're keeping up to level (even if they aren't being promoted to higher star ranks). This is true even if they aren't in your main squad. Although you **want** all your characters to survive and be at full health at the end of the battle (this means you stop doing anything but basic attacks and the absolutely necessary heals once you kill off 2 toons, and it's 5 on 3, and at least one of the remaining toons is down to 1/2 strength), you can't usually viably field a toon that's in the yellow for the next node's battle once you reach node 8, and sometimes you can't viably field a toon in yellow health as early as node 6.

If you can taunt and let them kill (or almost kill) one tank, that's much better than having your whole squad down health, with 2 or more in the yellow.