Meta proof characters?

Chef5
369 posts Member
edited March 2016
Thought maybe we should list characters that are likely to remain useful regardless of meta changes.

Since meta changes are unpredictable these may or may not be viable all the time, but currently I think these characters may be very useful regardless of meta. Please note this is opinion and speculation, but may prove to be useful to new players wondering who to level up.

Royal Guard - Auto taunt.. let's face it taunt will always be useful in arena. It just so happens that RG has the best taunt in the game, not to mention has a very large health gauge, and stuns on basic ability, meaning he has an 80% chance to stun any character on every turn, at least until his health drops below 50%. Plus free turn meter and health meter gain.

Luminara - Ability Block on special with a really good heal over time ability and hits hard. Particularly deadly with combo'd with RG. When RG's auto taunt kicks in she can jump in and heal, since its heal over time, it just makes it that much more difficult for the opponent. Her ability block is useful against characters like Poe or Phasma.

Captain Phasma - Speed down, RNG assists, turn meter/advantage gains, tank like health. Phasma looks like a solid performer, when combo's with the right chracters.

Replies

• Options
    Rey
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • effdash
    150 posts Member
    Options
    Dooku - His evade mas made him the new hotness, and really you can't call it a comeback...he was here the whole time.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Rey and RG are the only two I can think of that are meta proof. RG's taunt just does it's thing and Rey is going to be speed 164 and hit for a truck load... so she will stay great.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    Options
    Harmonica wrote: »
    Rey

not sure about rey, I have a feeling that the devs are going to "balance" her, which probably means NERF.

it's already stated in the updates that the fast hard hitting characters are going to get nerfed. I guessing rey will be part of that.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    Rey and RG are the only two I can think of that are meta proof. RG's taunt just does it's thing and Rey is going to be speed 164 and hit for a truck load... so she will stay great.

Reys is good at speed and damage,

the upcoming update includes damage decrease to speed characters along with fortitude as an extra shield. Im afraid rey will not be meta proof. Two of her only strong abilities will be nerfed out the gate. She might be useful still but IMO nowhere near what she is now.
  • Options
    QGJ

Turn meter gain and reduction
    Asisst attack with heal
    Dispel and offense up
    Speed leader ability
  • Options
    Dooku seems like he's been good since the beginning.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Chef5 wrote: »
    Barrok wrote: »

Reys is good at speed and damage,

the upcoming update includes damage decrease to speed characters along with fortitude as an extra shield. Im afraid rey will not be meta proof. Two of her only strong abilities will be nerfed out the gate. She might be useful still but IMO nowhere near what she is now.

I think you will be suprised :) I think the new fortitude will make it so she can't OHK as often, but a 164 speed who can smack for 10k and get dodge, is going to be sick.
  • Options
    I agree with RG, but not your other suggestions. A couple I'd add to this list:

Rey - currently stupid good, with super high speed at level 90 (highest, or second highest iirc) and two great specials and a situationally terrific unique. Bonus she is Resistance.

Fives - I don't use him myself, but he is really tanky, and might "rebalance" well.

Anakin - several others have talked about his 80 stats, they look great, and his kit is good. Big plus, he is a Jedi.

Lando - with less focus on OHKO, his aoe is looking really promising.

QGJ - looks good at 80, and speed leadership should remain important.

Also a few Chromium exclusives that might get a bump: Cad Bane, Leia (already good at 70), and (fingers crossed) Maul.
  • 9r33d0
    492 posts Member
    Options
    QGJ and Yoda. Both are the equivalent to a Swiss army knife.
  • Options
    CUP and Ugnaught. They will still be complete ****
  • Options
    Rey I'm much less certain about with meta changes. if meta shifts toward more dodge / tanking and team synergy, she's in trouble. She has no leader skill, she has no unique that helps the team like TS, she doesn't gain meter passively...she's really just a solo artist with big kill ability...but modest health. If her ability to ohko is reduced, what value is she bringing to the team? I think she's at least at some risk to slip because her main and really only skill is directly being targeted for a reduction.
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Options
    ST Han along with RG
  • Options
    Meta proof I'd go with the taunting class of toons. That actually has been meta across all variations of the meta going back to early game chewy leaders with tanking heal teams. Then it was Han at 60, Poe at 60 after his release, Poe at 70 partly until the speed change, with a small gap of little taunt utility until RG was changed. Taunters have been the backbone of meta throughout the game and at various stages of people's roster. My vote would be for RG. Defense getting re-work and he has a defense up skill too. That's assuming though he isn't tweaked down intentionally to offset the changes, which we know they are doing as we've seen with the datamined FO team. Tough to say anything is meta proof. I'm not significantly building anything until we see the changes. We've already seen examples of when major adjustment happen how values can fall. Look at Poe after the speed change. Barriss early on after her toning down.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I would think heroes that call in an assist (QGJ, IG86, GS, etc.) would be fairly meta-proof. In part because as long as they can still call powerful assists (whatever they may be), even if the meta "nerfs" their attack damage, it won't nerf everyone's.

As an example, say you have QGJ (L) + GS + Heroes X, Y and Z. Even if you have to swap out who your X, Y & Z are currently due to damage reduction/effectiveness changes, as long as you have a few toons viable in the new meta, they would still work with assist-callers.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Meta proof I'd go with the taunting class of toons. That actually has been meta across all variations of the meta going back to early game chewy leaders with tanking heal teams. Then it was Han at 60, Poe at 60 after his release, Poe at 70 partly until the speed change, with a small gap of little taunt utility until RG was changed. Taunters have been the backbone of meta throughout the game and at various stages of people's roster. My vote would be for RG. Defense getting re-work and he has a defense up skill too. That's assuming though he isn't tweaked down intentionally to offset the changes, which we know they are doing as we've seen with the datamined FO team. Tough to say anything is meta proof. I'm not significantly building anything until we see the changes. We've already seen examples of when major adjustment happen how values can fall. Look at Poe after the speed change. Barriss early on after her toning down.

Considering how difficult and expen$$$$$$ive it is to farm RG, I reeeeeeaaaaallllly hope they don't nerf RG at all in any ability. Been paying a ton of crystals buying RG shop shards and node refreshes.

People that have 7* Rey must be upset with the news of nerfing high speed high damage characters. Considering how difficult it is to farm rey also. But still RG is even more difficult.

• JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I would think heroes that call in an assist (QGJ, IG86, GS, etc.) would be fairly meta-proof. In part because as long as they can still call powerful assists (whatever they may be), even if the meta "nerfs" their attack damage, it won't nerf everyone's.

As an example, say you have QGJ (L) + GS + Heroes X, Y and Z. Even if you have to swap out who your X, Y & Z are currently due to damage reduction/effectiveness changes, as long as you have a few toons viable in the new meta, they would still work with assist-callers.

That makes me think though - are we talking about "meta" proof meaning the most elite tier or "utility" proof, meaning they will still be some level of valuable? I think Rey will remain some level of value for certain - meta though I think is at least questionable. I agree on your assist point about utility, but will QGJ still be meta ... hard to say.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    dp
  • Options
    Truth is no one knows, but tanks and characters like Rey, Yoda and AoE characters seem to be safe bets.
    Tanks because all they need is hp and taunt, they look like they will become a lot more useful.
    Rey will always be the highest damaging character and the game will always be about killing the other squad.
    Yoda with his support abilities and he should alway remain at the top for speed.
    AoE characters are generally slow in the game and have low hp. Simply giving them more time to rain down punishment(regardless if their damage is increased or not) is going to be amazing. Giving more time to Maul, VS, 88 and Lando means death to the other side.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Chef5 wrote: »

People that have 7* Rey must be upset with the news of nerfing high speed high damage characters. Considering how difficult it is to farm rey also. But still RG is even more difficult.
    I don't think this change Rey's effectiveness as much as you think. First off, the update was loaded with general language like "Generally speaking" and "damage reduction" - does that mean ALL heroes, or just certain ones? I certainly don't think it will become completely relational (i.e. it won't turn into something as silly as 1st acting does X damage, 2nd 25% more, 3rd 25% more than 2, etc.)

Secondly, we don't know if that applies only to basic attacks or specials as well - and to what degree?

Third, does "faster acting" simply mean higher speed? Or modified speed? So does a Ahsoka do that same amount of damage when "sped up" by QBJ leadership...or less? It would seem odd for it to be less, as then anyone who has a "speed up" leadership ability, in essence, nerfs all of his teammates who have been sped up, by also lowering their damage output.

Going back to my "assist callers" question, do fast assist callers surrounded by slower (possibly high damage, in the new meta) heroes become the new meta? So something like super-sped up QGJ does 2k, but calls in an assist from super-slow (but now hard-hitting) Ventress, who now does 8k?

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Options
    Assists and TM gain will always be up there in usefulness. There will always be GS/Rey type toon that is clearly better than others. Giving them more turns will be a safe bet.

So basically, everyone agrees that we don't know who will be the next op toon will be. But we know that anyone who can protect and give this character more turns will be very useful. So go that route if you want to be safe: pick your healer, pick your tank, pick your support and wait to see who is the next dps.
  • Options
    No such thing as meta proof -

Sorry to say this, but changing the meta can nerf or buff anyone. And the changes they are talking about makes it a whole new game.

My advice, especially for f2p, is don't level or spend expensive gear on anyone til the changes come out. The whales can afford to make mistakes on who they level, f2p mostly can't. Wait to see who needs to be moved.

Also, I would suggest making sure you have 3*d everything you can and get as far as you can before the update. You never know how the changes will affect challenges and other things.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Options
    14lm45k.jpg
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rey I'm much less certain about with meta changes. if meta shifts toward more dodge / tanking and team synergy, she's in trouble. She has no leader skill, she has no unique that helps the team like TS, she doesn't gain meter passively...she's really just a solo artist with big kill ability...but modest health. If her ability to ohko is reduced, what value is she bringing to the team? I think she's at least at some risk to slip because her main and really only skill is directly being targeted for a reduction.

They can't overnerf Rey. Just because you won't be able to OHKO most of the time in the future meta, doesn't mean that the value of toons that can contribute a lot of damage is diminished. As a matter of fact, I think the reasons you state why Rey is in trouble (no leader skill, no turn meter manipulation, no team synergy,) is why she should keep her amazing damage.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    Any character that is extreme to one extent or the other in terms of speed damage health utility etc. will likely see it's ups and downs. Middle of the road characters like Anakin will usually remain in the mix in some capacity.
  • Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »

They can't overnerf Rey. Just because you won't be able to OHKO most of the time in the future meta, doesn't mean that the value of toons that can contribute a lot of damage is diminished. As a matter of fact, I think the reasons you state why Rey is in trouble (no leader skill, no turn meter manipulation, no team synergy,) is why she should keep her amazing damage.

+1
    Rey can do one thing, deal damage and she will continue to do so after the patch. Players who don't have her say she is OP, but she only brings one thing to the table - high damage. She will always be the highest damaging character for that reason.
  • Malpka
    47 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tbh i think you make mistake judging by stats/damage, as new mechanics and simple tweaking may turn this upside down on a whim. Assuming no some skill changes i would go with following:

Daaka - double stun on basic, heal+revive, passive revive
    Poogle - mass offense up is just enough
    Phasma - as long as victory march gives 50% tm he will always be viable
    And the list can go on.

Judging from my experience - top dd's usually get shuffled mercillesly, but its a proper support what makes them into monsters
  • Options
    I'm afraid there's no such thing as meta proof toon. I've been one of many meta-chasers and seen shifts from Barriss to Phasma to Sid to QGJ to Dooku. That's leaders. Other toons came and went: FOTP, Lumi, Poe, IG88, IG86, RP, Daka, Kylo, Old Ben. If top 10 is any representative of meta, I don't see them there anymore. Now it's Dooku, QGJ, RG, GS, Rey, Yoda, occasional Leia and Poggle.

If I have to chose one meta proof, it would be Rey only because she's the star of upcoming Lucasfilm movie. Come on, where's advertisement if devs nerf the most important hero of their most important contributor!? )))
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    Options

If I have to chose one meta proof, it would be Rey only because she's the star of upcoming Lucasfilm movie. Come on, where's advertisement if devs nerf the most important hero of their most important contributor!? )))

Well that's not what happened to Poe.