Crap teams winning GAC Divisions Needs to stop

Prev13
I'm pretty new to the game at just under a year, so I understand it has all been said, but there is no excuse for the crap I see at the top of my GAC division. I am in Div 9 and I have not had an opponent that some of the top 10 would have any chance against. I understand the concept of matchmaking, but how can you give top spots and top rewards to players that have not developed a single good character, much less a single good team. I have not faced an opponent this time with less than 3 or 4 relics and I have seen over 10, yet the current #2 in the division has a best character as a Gear 11 Vader. I have not faced 1 opponent that roster with have any chance to beat. How can you try to improve when you see rosters so much worse than yours that are winning the GAC?

I have tried to develop so that I could compete in Arena, help my guild in TW/TB, and compete in GAC. I can't contribute a lot to a good guild right now, but at least I can somewhat help by picking up 3 or 4 wins. These crap teams are useless to a guild, useless in Arena, and if it were not for being put against only other otherwise useless rosters, then they would also be useless in GAC.

This is comparable to all of college football playing only in their conference and then saying the national champion is in the MAC because they did really well against the other MAC teams. I guess it can be considered a strategy if you researched the game a lot before starting that you can "succeed" by keeping your roster crap, but this just doesn't make any sense. You are rewarding being not good.

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Apparently they developed strong enough teams and tactics to gain top ranks. And you call their rosters useless?

The leader boards rank players by GAC score - not by roster strength. It's all it is. I wouldn't worry too much about how strong (or weak) the top ranking players' rosters are.
  • Options
    shaun51422 wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to the game at just under a year, so I understand it has all been said, but there is no excuse for the crap I see at the top of my GAC division. I am in Div 9 and I have not had an opponent that some of the top 10 would have any chance against. I understand the concept of matchmaking, but how can you give top spots and top rewards to players that have not developed a single good character, much less a single good team. I have not faced an opponent this time with less than 3 or 4 relics and I have seen over 10, yet the current #2 in the division has a best character as a Gear 11 Vader. I have not faced 1 opponent that roster with have any chance to beat. How can you try to improve when you see rosters so much worse than yours that are winning the GAC?

I have tried to develop so that I could compete in Arena, help my guild in TW/TB, and compete in GAC. I can't contribute a lot to a good guild right now, but at least I can somewhat help by picking up 3 or 4 wins. These crap teams are useless to a guild, useless in Arena, and if it were not for being put against only other otherwise useless rosters, then they would also be useless in GAC.

This is comparable to all of college football playing only in their conference and then saying the national champion is in the MAC because they did really well against the other MAC teams. I guess it can be considered a strategy if you researched the game a lot before starting that you can "succeed" by keeping your roster crap, but this just doesn't make any sense. You are rewarding being not good.

You mention the roster being crap but lack any details except that they don't have g12 or relics.

You mentioned vader but he is hardly a crap toon. In fact, he is probably one of the best characters in the game after his rework. So the statement about this guy only having crap toons is just false. He wouldn't be winning if he only had crap toons. The opposite is likely true. He likely has a very focused pvp roster but hasn't gotten to g12 or relics yet.

I'm sure your total gp is likely higher so you'll probably hit another division soon where your rewards will increase more sooner.

And on my alt account, I use vader under an ep lead we're with only the merciless zeta (it takes time to get more ftp). And with merciless massacre, I have beaten teams that have a relic character or two with a g10 vader as my strongest character. Mods make a huge difference. I knew how to farm mods early on and have a 274 speed thrawn so I can usually go first in that early of a shard. Between stuns, fracture, and fear from dark Bastilla, a fast ep team can hit above it's weight by quite a bit.

And on my main, I frequently use Vader to counter GLs in arena so he's definitely not useless.
  • Options

And on my alt account, I use vader under an ep lead we're with only the merciless zeta (it takes time to get more ftp). And with merciless massacre, I have beaten teams that have a relic character or two with a g10 vader as my strongest character. Mods make a huge difference. I knew how to farm mods early on and have a 274 speed thrawn so I can usually go first in that early of a shard. Between stuns, fracture, and fear from dark Bastilla, a fast ep team can hit above it's weight by quite a bit.

And on my main, I frequently use Vader to counter GLs in arena so he's definitely not useless.

I beat a full relics team with EP g11 7* Vader zMM g11 7* Thrawn g10 6* Nihilus g10 4* and Sion g9 4*. The team that I beat had no synergy or no tenacity because otherwise I would not have beat it but I did. Vader is amazing.
  • Options

Not really...it’d be like the best MAC team saying they were the MAC conference champion, which is usually how it works...because they didn’t win GAC, they won Division 9. If a MAC team plays an SEC team, the results are about the same as what you’d expect of someone in Div9 going up against Div1.
  • Options

I beat a full relics team with EP g11 7* Vader zMM g11 7* Thrawn g10 6* Nihilus g10 4* and Sion g9 4*. The team that I beat had no synergy or no tenacity because otherwise I would not have beat it but I did. Vader is amazing.

It doesn't have to be a crap team with no synergy. Just not a direct counter to ep. I even take out other ep teams with a relic and Zetaed vader. If he's slower, you can chew through the team before he can destroy you.

I use ep, vader, dark Bastilla, tarkin, and thrawn. Nihilas is great but just don't have time to farm him. I'm thinking of eventually replacing tarkin with dooku or maybe piett. Both are needed for see so I will need to farm them and relic them anyway.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    While there is some understandable frustration in your general complaint from a certain point of view, what strikes me about this is that someone in Division 9 even has any relic characters at all. G11 is where I feel some of the top people in that division should be. I feel like a Division 9 player with relic teams can't have much roster depth and would be extremely top heavy. I've seen plenty of people even in Division 1 whose gear has outpaced their ability to farm good mods. I can only imagine how much this problem would be exacerbated in Division 9.
  • Options

You mention the roster being crap but lack any details except that they don't have g12 or relics.

You mentioned vader but he is hardly a crap toon. In fact, he is probably one of the best characters in the game after his rework. So the statement about this guy only having crap toons is just false. He wouldn't be winning if he only had crap toons. The opposite is likely true. He likely has a very focused pvp roster but hasn't gotten to g12 or relics yet.

I'm sure your total gp is likely higher so you'll probably hit another division soon where your rewards will increase more sooner.

I love Vader. I didn't mean Vader is crap, but he isn't going to have a chance against the high relics. He is my best character and at Relic 5. But a G11 Vader leading any team of of G11 and lower has 0 chance against the solid Relic 5-7 Padme or Bug teams I'm seeing that have good Mods as well.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    Apparently they developed strong enough teams and tactics to gain top ranks. And you call their rosters useless?

The leader boards rank players by GAC score - not by roster strength. It's all it is. I wouldn't worry too much about how strong (or weak) the top ranking players' rosters are.

The point is that if they were going against the other good teams in the division they wouldn't win a match.
  • Options

I agree. I love mine. But that team you described isn't taking out a R5 to 7 Padme team like other players in the division have.
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    While there is some understandable frustration in your general complaint from a certain point of view, what strikes me about this is that someone in Division 9 even has any relic characters at all. G11 is where I feel some of the top people in that division should be. I feel like a Division 9 player with relic teams can't have much roster depth and would be extremely top heavy. I've seen plenty of people even in Division 1 whose gear has outpaced their ability to farm good mods. I can only imagine how much this problem would be exacerbated in Division 9.

When I started in GAC I wanted to focus on what would make me better there as well as compete in Squad Arena. Isn't that how you should play? I haven't seen a team in my Squad without at least some relics in months. So why wouldn't you expect someone trying to do well by focusing on getting a solid squad for arena and then for GAC? I haven't faced an opponent without relics in GAC in 3 seasons. I am not saying I should be the best in my division, but it seems like those of us that have done a lot more by the setup the game has given us (standard 3 teams O and 3 D plus ships) should not be finishing lower than teams that would have 0 chance to win playing us.
    As far as having good mods, if you don't see how someone could have good mods on a few good teams in Div 11, then how would someone have good mods for 80 G5-G11 characters? That is another reason to focus on getting fewer well geared teams - you need less good mods for them.
  • Options

Not really...it’d be like the best MAC team saying they were the MAC conference champion, which is usually how it works...because they didn’t win GAC, they won Division 9. If a MAC team plays an SEC team, the results are about the same as what you’d expect of someone in Div9 going up against Div1.

Just talking within the division though. Seems if a team doesn't have any powerful characters, then they don't have to go against any other teams with powerful characters. Even though the division does have teams with powerful characters.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

The point is that if they were going against the other good teams in the division they wouldn't win a match.

The point is that they were matched against players with similar matchmaking GP and won.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

When I started in GAC I wanted to focus on what would make me better there as well as compete in Squad Arena. Isn't that how you should play? I haven't seen a team in my Squad without at least some relics in months. So why wouldn't you expect someone trying to do well by focusing on getting a solid squad for arena and then for GAC? I haven't faced an opponent without relics in GAC in 3 seasons. I am not saying I should be the best in my division, but it seems like those of us that have done a lot more by the setup the game has given us (standard 3 teams O and 3 D plus ships) should not be finishing lower than teams that would have 0 chance to win playing us.
    As far as having good mods, if you don't see how someone could have good mods on a few good teams in Div 11, then how would someone have good mods for 80 G5-G11 characters? That is another reason to focus on getting fewer well geared teams - you need less good mods for them.

There are more ways to play the game. Your strategy is not the only one available. Different types of rosters/teams excel in different game modes.

The purpose of matching players also by matchmaking GP instead of matching by division and league only is to create more even matches. I would prefer those even matches any day - even if it means that sometimes the top ranking players aren't necessarily the players with the strongest rosters. I'd rather have 12 relatively even matches in a season than have 12 matches where the outcome is predictable.

• RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

The purpose of matching players also by matchmaking GP instead of matching by division and league only is to create more even matches.
    Why not just get rid of divisions altogether though? What's the point of divisions and division-based leaderboards if there are players competing for the same top 10 without having the slightest chance of facing eachother? Can you really say XY is the best player of division 1? (As the leaderboards suggest now). Doubtful. They can be the best GAC player in their matchmaking bracket, sure, but hardly of the 4.5m+ division.

If you want a leaderboard showing the pound-for-pound best player, just use one general leaderboard.
  • Options

The purpose of matching players also by matchmaking GP instead of matching by division and league only is to create more even matches.
    Why not just get rid of divisions altogether though? What's the point of divisions and division-based leaderboards if there are players competing for the same top 10 without having the slightest chance of facing eachother? Can you really say XY is the best player of division 1? (As the leaderboards suggest now). Doubtful. They can be the best GAC player in their matchmaking bracket, sure, but hardly of the 4.5m+ division.

If you want a leaderboard showing the pound-for-pound best player, just use one general leaderboard.
    Higher GP does not equal better player.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Sure it doesn't. But what's the point of GP-based divisions then if the leaderboard won't account for it anyway?
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I'd argue, however, that someone fighting 3-4 GLs on defense and still making top 20 is a better player than someone soloing g7 Phoenix with Wampa every round to get to the top of the leaderboard.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Sure it doesn't. But what's the point of GP-based divisions then if the leaderboard won't account for it anyway?

I'd argue, however, that someone fighting 3-4 GLs on defense and still making top 20 is a better player than someone soloing g7 Phoenix with Wampa every round to get to the top of the leaderboard.

you could make that assumption but that would be like trying to compare the best players at a highschool level to the best players in the major leagues.

the divisions do a similar split that shards do for arena, they group players that have similar GP, which is related to parts invested, which is related to time or $$ in game.

that is the reason you cannot compare the player in a lower division to a player in the higher division that way. That player facing phoenix in a few years may have a great roster and the understanding to back it up, the current lack of time in game doesn't make them a worse player, nor does someone being here longer make them better. apples and oranges.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

you could make that assumption but that would be like trying to compare the best players at a highschool level to the best players in the major leagues.
    Agreed. However, currently 4.5m does not really represent the major league (division one). It was a a good enough threshold to delimit the top division when GAC was introduced, but 4.5 to 9.2m+ in division one is a wider gap now then all division below put together.

Some frequently top ranked division 1 rosters are closer to d2/3 tier, just placed in the current highest bracket because the passing mark is outdated. Hence the dissatisfaction of many. You can have a "perfect season" of 59/60 banners average against DR, GAS/CLS + 2/4 GLs defense and you still won't cut top 10 because, going by the analogy above, some high school level players are playing other high school level players for better scores in the major leagues.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Agreed. However, currently 4.5m does not really represent the major league (division one). It was a a good enough threshold to delimit the top division when GAC was introduced, but 4.5 to 9.2m+ in division one is a wider gap now then all division below put together.

Some frequently top ranked division 1 rosters are closer to d2/3 tier, just placed in the current highest bracket because the passing mark is outdated. Hence the dissatisfaction of many. You can have a "perfect season" of 59/60 banners average against DR, GAS/CLS + 2/4 GLs defense and you still won't cut top 10 because, going by the analogy above, some high school level players are playing other high school level players for better scores in the major leagues.

I dont think anyone disagrees we need more divisions, and not just splitting of D1, but a "redo" of the whole scaling system. that would allow for them to be more representative of fair matches, IMO.

I was just pointing out that there is no way to compare between divisions. I dont think 4.5M are facing g7 phoenix.
  • Options

I love Vader. I didn't mean Vader is crap, but he isn't going to have a chance against the high relics. He is my best character and at Relic 5. But a G11 Vader leading any team of of G11 and lower has 0 chance against the solid Relic 5-7 Padme or Bug teams I'm seeing that have good Mods as well.

Depends on mods. If a relic padme team is pretty slow, it is probably possible. The gear on thrawn doesn't matter that much since fracture still takes someone out of the battle temporarily. Ep can still mass stun at low gear with proper mods. Dark Bastilla still puts fear out at low gear.

All of th is can delay a relic team long enough for vader to one shot anakin and padme. At gear 11 he has enough offense to do so if he gets enough debuffs.

I have beaten padme teams with a g10 ep team in my arena even though they had some relics. It really comes down to mods. If they go quickly enough and get the stacks of courage and protection up, it doesn't work.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

The best player? How would you define the best player? The leader boards list players by championship scores. There's nothing more to it. Don't read something into those rankings that isn't there.

Divisions still serve a purpose. They decide the number of defensive slots which decides the max number of points you can score.

• Options

Just talking within the division though. Seems if a team doesn't have any powerful characters, then they don't have to go against any other teams with powerful characters. Even though the division does have teams with powerful characters.

So the main issue you have seems to be the gap in too large in division 9 for your liking. Or are you proposing that everyone in a division are just randomly matched with each other?

Both are likely to create more issues. I'll use division one as an example. If they just randomly matched people in division one, you'd have people with 4.5 mil gp and no GLs facing people with 8 mil gp and 4 GLs.

The complaining is bad enough when people who don't have GLs face those that do because they bloated their rosters. So that option doesn't work.

Division 1 definitely needs split up but at lower divisions, splitting them up too much would just make a ton of divisions for little benefit.

As far as the rewards go, being in the top 10 of kyber has relatively the same rewards as the top 1000 of kyber. You get a few hundred gac currency more.

Also, you will eventually hit the next division and be the small fish in the bigger pond. In the current system, you still have a chance to do well. In a system where you are matched against anyone that may have 500k effective go than you, you will eventually be the one with the lower go and the player you mention will eventually be the one with higher gp in a division potentially losing to a player with lower go.

So it all evens out in the end. It's not ideal but right now, I think they have a pretty good balance for matchmaking. Any potential solution to the issues you raise that I can think of would likely create worse problems than this one.
  • Options

The point is that they were matched against players with similar matchmaking GP and won.

Exactly - they matched the teams that can't put together a decent team of 5 against other teams that can't put together a decent team of 5. They have the GP, so if they didn't use their resources well then they should have to deal with it.
  • Options

There are more ways to play the game. Your strategy is not the only one available. Different types of rosters/teams excel in different game modes.

The purpose of matching players also by matchmaking GP instead of matching by division and league only is to create more even matches. I would prefer those even matches any day - even if it means that sometimes the top ranking players aren't necessarily the players with the strongest rosters. I'd rather have 12 relatively even matches in a season than have 12 matches where the outcome is predictable.

I would agree with that to a point - It wouldn't be any fun to kill all of your opponents. But at the same time there should not be higher reward for getting to duck all the opponents that would crush you.
  • Options

Depends on mods. If a relic padme team is pretty slow, it is probably possible. The gear on thrawn doesn't matter that much since fracture still takes someone out of the battle temporarily. Ep can still mass stun at low gear with proper mods. Dark Bastilla still puts fear out at low gear.

All of th is can delay a relic team long enough for vader to one shot anakin and padme. At gear 11 he has enough offense to do so if he gets enough debuffs.

I have beaten padme teams with a g10 ep team in my arena even though they had some relics. It really comes down to mods. If they go quickly enough and get the stacks of courage and protection up, it doesn't work.

This is really a bit off topic at this point, but you are operating under the assumption that these high relic characters have very bad mods, which isn't the case. I can assure you that a set of mods that make a G11 Vader better than my R4 Vader do not exist.
  • Options

Exactly - they matched the teams that can't put together a decent team of 5 against other teams that can't put together a decent team of 5. They have the GP, so if they didn't use their resources well then they should have to deal with it.

They matched them to others that have a similar top 80 go (or top 60 or 40 or whatever for lower division). Ability to put teams together isn't taken into account fo rrc matchmaking.
  • Options

So the main issue you have seems to be the gap in too large in division 9 for your liking. Or are you proposing that everyone in a division are just randomly matched with each other?

Both are likely to create more issues. I'll use division one as an example. If they just randomly matched people in division one, you'd have people with 4.5 mil gp and no GLs facing people with 8 mil gp and 4 GLs.

The complaining is bad enough when people who don't have GLs face those that do because they bloated their rosters. So that option doesn't work.

Division 1 definitely needs split up but at lower divisions, splitting them up too much would just make a ton of divisions for little benefit.

As far as the rewards go, being in the top 10 of kyber has relatively the same rewards as the top 1000 of kyber. You get a few hundred gac currency more.

Also, you will eventually hit the next division and be the small fish in the bigger pond. In the current system, you still have a chance to do well. In a system where you are matched against anyone that may have 500k effective go than you, you will eventually be the one with the lower go and the player you mention will eventually be the one with higher gp in a division potentially losing to a player with lower go.

So it all evens out in the end. It's not ideal but right now, I think they have a pretty good balance for matchmaking. Any potential solution to the issues you raise that I can think of would likely create worse problems than this one.

No, the power gap isn't that much. Besides, that gives you something to work towards. Some of the teams at the top have power near the top scale but still don't have well developed characters. I had much better when I entered the division. I actually finished in Kyber last season in the same division. This season I finished in Aurodium despite working to improve my roster and making a lot of very good improvements. I understand this is a strategy game, but should part of that strategy not be making teams that are good enough and powerful enough to compete against the others? If not, then why have power differences?
  • Options

This is really a bit off topic at this point, but you are operating under the assumption that these high relic characters have very bad mods, which isn't the case. I can assure you that a set of mods that make a G11 Vader better than my R4 Vader do not exist.

I can assure you that people that play grand arena do in fact sometimes have teams modded worse than others. I also know from experience, that often when I am matched on my main account against opponents that have more relics, they often have worse mods.

It probably has to do with spending to get relics quicker often results in having a similar roster but less good mods.

But regardless of the reason, I have observed it often enough that it does happen.

And a set of mods to make a g10 vader beat an r4 vader absolutely exist. In fact it only relies on one stat. Speed. An r4 vader can't kill a g10 vader if he never goes. And with an ep team that is full g10 vs an ep team with an r4 vader, if thrawn in the lower gear team goes first and fracture vader, then the g10 vader can go and merciless the rest of the team. From there it is rather easy to keep the r4 vader locked down with stun, fear and ability block until you can kill him. And s g10 vader has ef enough offense to kill an r4 vader.

If you don't know that speed mods is often the deciding factor on teams that require a lot of control, then I'm not surprised that players that have lower gear characters are still doing better than you in grand arena.
  • Options

No, the power gap isn't that much. Besides, that gives you something to work towards. Some of the teams at the top have power near the top scale but still don't have well developed characters. I had much better when I entered the division. I actually finished in Kyber last season in the same division. This season I finished in Aurodium despite working to improve my roster and making a lot of very good improvements. I understand this is a strategy game, but should part of that strategy not be making teams that are good enough and powerful enough to compete against the others? If not, then why have power differences?

In lower divisions, you have plenty of reason to still develop you roster and increase your gp. The reason is to get to upper divisions so you get higher rewards.

Once you reach div 1, there isn't really a reason to gear anything just for gac. It's more about gearing what you need for arena, tb, Assualt battles, ect... without bloating your top 80 too much and hurting your chances in gac.

The closer matchmaking gets, the less incentive you have to catchup within a division. The reason that the player with only g11 isn't matched against relics much is because when they were, people complained until it was changed so it is less likely to happen.

The current system isn't perfect but it works well enough. But it sounds like what you are asking for is matchmaking on full gp. Basically a deep g11 roster that has 1.5 mil gp would be matched against a top heavy roster that had some relics and 1.5 mil gp. They won't do that. They specifically moved away from that.

But if it makes you feel better, gearing your arena team more may hurt you a little in gac but you will get far more rewards from placing high in arena than if you keep the relics off your top team to do better at gac.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Do you have any proof that they were matched by anything other than matchmaking GP, division and league? How does this matching by their ability to put together decent teams of 5 work?