Sandbagging remains a serious problem. Fix it

Ravens1113
5215 posts Member
edited November 2020
Same issue, different day. How is it that a guild with an average GP of 5.4 million, with 49/50 signing up for TW get matched up against a guild with only 42/50 joining with an average GP of 6.3 million GP?

I think this has gone on long enough to where CG can fine tune the matchmaking so such blatant mismatches stop occurring.

Replies

• Options
    Guild is short, same accusations of sandbagging. You can point the flaws you perceive without assuming everyone is deliberately trying to get an easier match up.
  • Options
    Because average GP is not what drives TW matchmaking. If it were, then players would just move on to the next gripe about matchmaking, probably something about undergeared roster to reduce avg GP, or meta characters, or mods, or zetas ...

The concept of an EQUAL match is a fallacy; one competitor will always have an advantage on paper. The best one can hope for is a FAIR match, where all competitors must play by the same rules.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Fix it how, force everyone to play even when they don’t want to? Plus, it’s tw, rewards are luckily close enough that it doesn’t matter that much
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Fix TW, fix GAC....hmmmm.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    If you feel you are constantly a victim of "sandbagging" guilds in TW....eventually you realize your guild is just bad at war.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Fix it how, force everyone to play even when they don’t want to? Plus, it’s tw, rewards are luckily close enough that it doesn’t matter that much

Lots of ways to fix it without forcing all 50 to sign up. Several of them are discussed each TW when this topic comes up.
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

While I agree that most accusations of "sandbagging" are the result of poor matchmaking as opposed to intentional manipulation by a guild, the fix would be fairly simple. The MM algorithm should simply add a check on number of active participants. If they simply used active GP and total number of participants, the matchmaking would likely create much more even matchups consistently. The issue is most obvious when you have guilds of similar active GP but one has 48+ and the other has 4-5+ fewer active players.

I would much rather fight a guild a second time in a few months (that is more similar in terms of active participants) than face a guild with twice (or half) as many GLs, etc.

There are certain aspects of this game that are "easy wins" for CG/EA - low-hanging fruit, if you will.

- Fix the ticket system for GLs so that losses/crashes don't cost 70 tickets.
    - Run GC's twice a week instead of once a week.
    - Tweak TW matchmaking so it properly accounts for different-sized guilds.
    - Rework the HSith Rewards (again) so as not to "force" mercs.

And yet, here we are...again....still.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    If you feel you are constantly a victim of "sandbagging" guilds in TW....eventually you realize your guild is just bad at war.

No has nothing to do with skill. When we go against a guild that has 50 members, about 10 that are clear secondaries, and only the strong ones join....you see where this is going. But you’re right, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the matchmaking system at all. Just another case of git gud.
  • Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Guild is short, same accusations of sandbagging. You can point the flaws you perceive without assuming everyone is deliberately trying to get an easier match up.

Whether they deliberately do it or not, and in this case it’s clear they did, the system itself is flawed. Why is a guild with 49/50 joined going against 42/50 joined. Why are guilds with almost a million average GP difference facing each other. Why are guilds with almost 4 times more GL’s than the other facing each other?
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Perhaps it’s a common matchmaking algorithm issue...hmmmmmm
  • Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »

Whether they deliberately do it or not, and in this case it’s clear they did, the system itself is flawed. Why is a guild with 49/50 joined going against 42/50 joined. Why are guilds with almost a million average GP difference facing each other. Why are guilds with almost 4 times more GL’s than the other facing each other?

How is it clear they deliberately did? My guild's only got 40 in this TW, mid-week isn't great for many of us.
  • Options

How is it clear they deliberately did? My guild's only got 40 in this TW, mid-week isn't great for many of us.

I won’t dox them as it’s against the forum rules but in their SWGOH page they have some very low level accounts to bring down their average GP. Those teams are not in the lineup.

But as I said, whether it was deliberate or not, the matchmaking system is incredibly flawed that the differential in rosters and overall GP is so wide.
  • Options

I won’t dox them as it’s against the forum rules but in their SWGOH page they have some very low level accounts to bring down their average GP. Those teams are not in the lineup.

But as I said, whether it was deliberate or not, the matchmaking system is incredibly flawed that the differential in rosters and overall GP is so wide.
    So stick to that argument.

The sandbagging accusations are tired, easily dismissed and add nothing to your case.

For that matter, making yet another thread on the matter seems pointless by now. The devs are either already aware of the issue and are working on it, or don’t care.
  • Options

The sandbagging accusations are tired, easily dismissed and add nothing to your case.

For that matter, making yet another thread on the matter seems pointless by now. The devs are either already aware of the issue and are working on it, or don’t care.

And as I’ll always say, as a player I’ll keep bringing it up until they care. Just as other players do with other issues. That’s how these forums work. Call it whining even if you will, idc. If you don’t like it, see yourself off my thread lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

And as I’ll always say, as a player I’ll keep bringing it up until they care. Just as other players do with other issues. That’s how these forums work. Call it whining even if you will, idc. If you don’t like it, see yourself off my thread lol

from our experience, the conversations last longer and are more constructive when assumptions are left out and we focus on the actual issue, rather than trying to make it about any perception of the opponent. just an FYI for this and future posts about this issue.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

from our experience, the conversations last longer and are more constructive when assumptions are left out and we focus on the actual issue, rather than trying to make it about any perception of the opponent. just an FYI for this and future posts about this issue.

And the actual issue is that the matchmaking for TW allows for sandbagging, and even more so is greatly flawed still.
    I love how people get hung up on one aspect of this and completely ignore the other. Or tell people “too bad deal with it” lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

And the actual issue is that the matchmaking for TW allows for sandbagging, and even more so is greatly flawed still.
    I love how people get hung up on one aspect of this and completely ignore the other. Or tell people “too bad deal with it” lol

wrong, the issue is that matchmaking doesn't account for different numbers of players in each guild, no matter how they get to those numbers.

by bringing in sandbagging you are giving people another avenue to discuss things you brought into the conversation and not talk about the issue. hence why i was suggesting you dont bring that point in next time.
  • Options

But the aspect people get hung up on is speculation on your part, easily dismissed and cheapens your argument.

You are 100% correct that matchmaking needs improved, and this has been stated many many times in other threads.

And anyway, what do you expect a guild with multiple ticket alts to do?
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Perhaps it’s a common matchmaking algorithm issue...hmmmmmm

dej8np4.gif
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    CG_Doja_Fett CG_SBCrumb

Just head's up. From what I understand, they actually read the forums. Tagging them is unnecessarily annoying.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options

No has nothing to do with skill. When we go against a guild that has 50 members, about 10 that are clear secondaries, and only the strong ones join....you see where this is going. But you’re right, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the matchmaking system at all. Just another case of git gud.

IF the matchmaking were altered to match guilds based on avg GP/player, then these "sandbagging" accusations would shift to guilds that have a wide margin between top and bottom GP members. This complaint would move
    • FROM: "the low-GP guys did not sign up for TW, their average GP is way higher than ours"
    • TO: "the low-GP guys signed up for TW to bring their average down to ours"

Matchmaking will never satisfy everybody, no matter how complicated they make it. In fact, the more complicated it is, the more chance that it will fail to be effective. I think the devs are right in keeping the algorithm simple. However, I do think it ought to be based on avg GP/player signed up for the TW, but that will not stop the complaints.
  • Options

Wait, are you saying
    Winning Territory War
    Isn't about skill?
  • Options

Wait, are you saying
    Winning Territory War
    Isn't about skill?

No, skill has nothing to do with my issues with the matchmaking system. Haven’t seen you on a thread trying to derail it in quite sometime! Welcome back