Something needs to be done about matchmaking!

2Next

Replies

• Options
    WHAT GIVES YOU MATCH US AGAIN WITH A GUILD 318MIL VS OUR 270MIL CG NEEDS TO DO BETTER THAN THIS,,,NOT RIGHT ahlksqnz64cl.jpg
    sqoydlyuicrx.jpg
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    MindPlayer wrote: »
    WHAT GIVES YOU MATCH US AGAIN WITH A GUILD 318MIL VS OUR 270MIL CG NEEDS TO DO BETTER THAN THIS,,,NOT RIGHT ahlksqnz64cl.jpg
    sqoydlyuicrx.jpg

WAI
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    Options
    My guilds last match was insanely out of rank yet again. We have 8 GLs vs their 28 GLs. It's like the system doesn't even try to make things fair.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Engage wrote: »
    My guilds last match was insanely out of rank yet again. We have 8 GLs vs their 28 GLs. It's like the system doesn't even try to make things fair.

It 100% does not try to make it "fair." This is not new.
  • K_Ley2
    38 posts Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    K_Ley2 wrote: »
    Bump

Why? What hasn't been explained yet?
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Bump

For starters. The people who need to see this and make the required changes to the system have been completely silent. They refuse to do anything to fix content. Matchmaking has been broken for years!
    My last message on here from 2 wars ago. We had another matchup in the last war that was even worse.
    There is no way that my guild should ever go up against guilds that have 20+ more GLs than us and an easy pass to clear the entire map. Why are we not matched up against similar guilds with similar number of GLs and similar GP ranking? It isn't even close. All we can do is place defenses and hope everyone gets enough points for the second place reward every time.
  • Options
    Bump

For starters. The people who need to see this and make the required changes to the system have been completely silent. They refuse to do anything to fix content. Matchmaking has been broken for years!
    My last message on here from 2 wars ago. We had another matchup in the last war that was even worse.
    There is no way that my guild should ever go up against guilds that have 20+ more GLs than us and an easy pass to clear the entire map. Why are we not matched up against similar guilds with similar number of GLs and similar GP ranking? It isn't even close. All we can do is place defenses and hope everyone gets enough points for the second place reward every time.
    2 pieces of advice which you are free to heed or ignore…

1) the devs will never change matchmaking to ensure guilds / individuals face a similar number of GLs. You can bump threads as often as you like, but they won’t implement that change, nor should they.

2) A well-run guild should never have to “hope” their members get enough points to earn rewards. Signed up members need to set 2 teams on defence to clear the 50 banner threshold. If your board is filled before all members have had the chance to set 2 teams, your guild leadership need to improve.
  • Options
    Matchmaking is so broken in TW. Everyone saying otherwise is just in a top guild that can't be screwed. You should be matched within your own signup tier. You should not have a guild in the 280M tier fighting a guild in the 340M tier. You should not have a guild in the 220M tier fighting a guild in the 280M tier. That is active signed up GP.

Furthermore, the current matchmaking system doesn't give guilds a fair matchup. Most of the time you get screwed or are the one doing the whomping.

My guild averages 2 GLs per player at 316M total GP. Not the best, but by far not even close to the worst. I recruit only kyber players with 3 GLs and executor and we turn over inactives or people not participating according to guidelines every 3-6 months.

- 5 of the last 9 matches were total blowouts. We faced guilds with 80-100 more GLs than we have AND that were signed up 3 tiers higher in active GP.
    - 2 of the last 9 matches were total blowouts in our favor. We had 4x more GLs than the other guilds and again we were 3 tiers higher than them.
    - 2 of the last 9 matches were slightly more fair and we were paired with guilds that only had about 20 more GLs and were 2 tiers higher. We only lose by around 4K points instead of 10-15k points.

Personally, I want fair, competitive, and fun matchups. This happened on ZERO of the last 9 games.

The only people advocating otherwise are the sharks in top tier guilds who can't get screwed by MM. The funny thing is that the last game we played the opposing guild has 355M active GP, 185 GLs, and they had been blown out in 6 of their last 9 matches. So even averaging 3.7 GLs per player doesn't change the status quo. CG still destroys you.

• Options
    Matchmaking is so broken in TW. Everyone saying otherwise is just in a top guild that can't be screwed. You should be matched within your own signup tier. You should not have a guild in the 280M tier fighting a guild in the 340M tier. You should not have a guild in the 220M tier fighting a guild in the 280M tier. That is active signed up GP.

Furthermore, the current matchmaking system doesn't give guilds a fair matchup. Most of the time you get screwed or are the one doing the whomping.

My guild averages 2 GLs per player at 316M total GP. Not the best, but by far not even close to the worst. I recruit only kyber players with 3 GLs and executor and we turn over inactives or people not participating according to guidelines every 3-6 months.

- 5 of the last 9 matches were total blowouts. We faced guilds with 80-100 more GLs than we have AND that were signed up 3 tiers higher in active GP.
    - 2 of the last 9 matches were total blowouts in our favor. We had 4x more GLs than the other guilds and again we were 3 tiers higher than them.
    - 2 of the last 9 matches were slightly more fair and we were paired with guilds that only had about 20 more GLs and were 2 tiers higher. We only lose by around 4K points instead of 10-15k points.

Personally, I want fair, competitive, and fun matchups. This happened on ZERO of the last 9 games.

The only people advocating otherwise are the sharks in top tier guilds who can't get screwed by MM. The funny thing is that the last game we played the opposing guild has 355M active GP, 185 GLs, and they had been blown out in 6 of their last 9 matches. So even averaging 3.7 GLs per player doesn't change the status quo. CG still destroys you.
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone defend the current matchmaking. It seems to be universally disliked.
  • Ryche
    151 posts Member
    Options
    my guild just got matched up against a guild 60 million lower than ours. from the other higher GP side, its not fun on our end either having a cake walk clearing the grid with 0 challenge.
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Bump

1) the devs will never change matchmaking to ensure guilds / individuals face a similar number of GLs. You can bump threads as often as you like, but they won’t implement that change, nor should they.

2) A well-run guild should never have to “hope” their members get enough points to earn rewards. Signed up members need to set 2 teams on defence to clear the 50 banner threshold. If your board is filled before all members have had the chance to set 2 teams, your guild leadership need to improve.

It has nothing to do with how many GLs a guild has over another. When there is a clear difference across the board and the guild you face is in a completely different bracket, it makes no sense. I wouldn't expect a guild of unranked, "less than Carbonite" members who started last month to match up against a guild with whales and high tier Kyber players. Not only is it a failure in the system but it is also unfair for everyone involved on both sides.
  • Options
    Bump

It has nothing to do with how many GLs a guild has over another. When there is a clear difference across the board and the guild you face is in a completely different bracket, it makes no sense. I wouldn't expect a guild of unranked, "less than Carbonite" members who started last month to match up against a guild with whales and high tier Kyber players. Not only is it a failure in the system but it is also unfair for everyone involved on both sides.
    Ok - it’s just that you have repeatedly raised the GL difference as evidence of the bad matchmaking, so I assumed you think that has something to do with it.
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Bump

Ok - it’s just that you have repeatedly raised the GL difference as evidence of the bad matchmaking, so I assumed you think that has something to do with it.

Tell me, what are the odds of a guild with less than 5GL beating a guild with 20+GL? Tell me what is the maximum difference in overall guild participation and stats there can be in any given matchup?
    My guild has gone up against a wall of GLs and over 60m active GP difference before. Tell me how that is fair.
    You can't because all this time you have been trying to defend that it is as fair of a system as it gets. It's only fair for you because you're probably on the winning side most matchups. I wonder how many winning streaks your guild has had because of it's overabundance in GLs on your side? Don't try and tell me otherwise because then there wouldn't be a point in you wasting your time arguing it so hard because that would prove you wrong if you have been blowing smoke this whole time.
    A few years back my guild went a year and a half without winning a single war. The game never matched us up against an easier guild or anything closer to our rank and abilities for that entire time.
    Is it so much to ask for a system that takes the average participation and player ranking and matches accordingly?
  • Options
    Bump

Tell me how that is fair.
    You can't because all this time you have been trying to defend that it is as fair of a system as it gets. It's only fair for you because you're probably on the winning side most matchups. I wonder how many winning streaks your guild has had because of it's overabundance in GLs on your side? Don't try and tell me otherwise because then there wouldn't be a point in you wasting your time arguing it so hard because that would prove you wrong if you have been blowing smoke this whole time.
    I’m afraid that is absolute nonsense. I have repeatedly highlighted how the matchmaking system is weak including in posts in this thread, and have mentioned on these forums several times that the current matchmaking algorithm is the worst one they have ever used.

I’m not responding to the rest of your post because it’s not relevant and based on an incorrect assumption by you.

I’ll just restate what I said on May 22 and leave you to it.
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Bump

I’m afraid that is absolute nonsense. I have repeatedly highlighted how the matchmaking system is weak including in posts in this thread, and have mentioned on these forums several times that the current matchmaking algorithm is the worst one they have ever used.

I’m not responding to the rest of your post because it’s not relevant and based on an incorrect assumption by you.

Then why have you been arguing and trolling all this time?
    Here I am giving you actual examples of matchups I have been in and all this time you have told me that I am wrong. Not once have you given any form of evidence or example. All you have done is argue your points against mine. I keep giving the same argument because it's all I know and all I have seen when it comes to the outcome of most matchups my guild has been in.
  • Options
    Bump

Here I am giving you actual examples of matchups I have been in and all this time you have told me that I am wrong. Not once have you given any form of evidence or example. All you have done is argue your points against mine. I keep giving the same argument because it's all I know and all I have seen when it comes to the outcome of most matchups my guild has been in.
    I haven’t argued or trolled. I don’t know if you’re mistaking me for someone else, because none of my posts aimed at you are of this nature.

You cited the GL difference in a bad matchup and I advised you that the devs will never alter matchmaking to ensure guilds have a similar number of GLs. You appear to take this as me saying I approve of these matchups. I don’t, I’m just telling you not to hold your breath hoping the devs will adjust matchmaking to address this, because they won’t.

You also mentioned, when given an unfair match, that you “hoped” all your guild got enough banners to earn rewards. I pointed out that a well organised guild should never have to rely on hope for this.

At no point have I told you your matchups are fair. Please take time to read my posts thoroughly before accusing me of trolling.
  • Engage
    267 posts Member
    Options
    Bump

I haven’t argued or trolled. I don’t know if you’re mistaking me for someone else, because none of my posts aimed at you are of this nature.

You cited the GL difference in a bad matchup and I advised you that the devs will never alter matchmaking to ensure guilds have a similar number of GLs. You appear to take this as me saying I approve of these matchups. I don’t, I’m just telling you not to hold your breath hoping the devs will adjust matchmaking to address this, because they won’t.

You also mentioned, when given an unfair match, that you “hoped” all your guild got enough banners to earn rewards. I pointed out that a well organised guild should never have to rely on hope for this.

At no point have I told you your matchups are fair. Please take time to read my posts thoroughly before accusing me of trolling.

I thought you were arguing about how GLs don't play a factor in matchmaking or the outcome of the match.
    I'm aware that they are not a factor in matchmaking. My point was that if a guild has a bunch of GLs and they have won their last couple of matches then why are they matched against a guild that has lost their last bunch of matches for yet another easy win. All because they have GLs to carry them.
    I don't worry about people not getting enough points/banners for rewards any more. I wrote that part shortly after the update. Now if people don't get enough points for a bunch of wars in a row I remove them because they haven't done enough to help out.
  • Options
    Bump

I thought you were arguing about how GLs don't play a factor in matchmaking or the outcome of the match.
    I'm aware that they are not a factor in matchmaking. My point was that if a guild has a bunch of GLs and they have won their last couple of matches then why are they matched against a guild that has lost their last bunch of matches for yet another easy win. All because they have GLs to carry them.
    I don't worry about people not getting enough points/banners for rewards any more. I wrote that part shortly after the update. Now if people don't get enough points for a bunch of wars in a row I remove them because they haven't done enough to help out.
    Ok - now we understand each other more clearly. The mismatches the current algorithm throws up are really bizarre. We once got matched with a guild that had total GP about 50M less than us. But all 50 of us signed up. It was a joke match, but there wasn’t even any “sandbagging”, intentional or otherwise.

The one thing I will add about GLs is that I don’t believe the devs should aim for a close matchup in terms of number of GLs, even if they tighten up the parameters for GP matchmaking.

As evidence, I post our current TW:
    9ligjjvlpjyr.jpeg

Our GP is only 18M different (though would be about 26M if we were at 50/50). That’s not far off 5% different, which isn’t all that much.

Yet we have 48 more GLs than our opponent. That’s basically one more GL per member on average. When our opponent’s GP reaches where we are now, there’s no way they’ll have closed the GL gap.

Guilds getting hopelessly outmatched on GLs when there’s a huge GP difference as well is poor matchmaking. But if guilds face a large GL imbalance when the total GP is close, I don’t think that’s down to the matchmaking algorithm. It’s down to a difference in focus between the guilds
  • Options

In the past few weeks we've gone up against two guilds that have won at least their last 8 TWs. I don't think we had even won our last two in a row when matched up against them. The GP and GL numbers favored them for another easy win and that was the case. If the algorithm worked the way they said it would when it was announced I cannot see any way we would have been matched against them.

As far as I know, we have not heard anything from them about the matchmaking since they made this change. Some explanation about what is actually going on would be appreciated.