Skill rating in gac matchmaking

2Next

Replies

• Options
    My thought is that it is something a lot less long-standing/enduring as an ID or a stat that won't change.

Otherwise you'd be running into the same players again and again, right?

I can't remember playing the same player twice in GAC, and we don't see that as a complaint in the forums. And a lot of players will complain about GAC at any opportunity.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    chrisfx wrote: »
    I'll try to look into player ID, although I still would be shocked that my ID would be last of all for 9 straight months of GAC. It's something I can hopefully figure out rather quickly though.
    We’ve established that it’s NOT legacy points, nor is it ally code.

As far as I know, player ID is not visible in game or on swgoh.gg, so I don’t know how you plan to check this out.
    Just the first few characters (say 4 or 5) of the player IDs of a few players with the same skill rating should be enough to prove / disprove the theory. You wouldn't need the full ID to achieve uniqueness with a small sample size.

• nottenst
    690 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Of course (if I have time and I'm motivated) I'll look at my bracket on SWGOH.GG

However, that wasn't what we were discussing. We were discussing 'comparing different brackets of the same skill points' and whether other brackets were consistently easier than 'my/your/our' brackets of the same skill points.

My point was that looking at your GAC bracket you can see how "easy" your current bracket is and if you consistently do that you will see how it can vary widely and unexpectedly. I thought you were asking how to see how easy a particular bracket was. I doubt that other brackets are consistently easier that 'my/your/our' brackets of the same skill points. It still seems random and probably will even out over time.

If you are sufficiently motivated, though, you could look beyond your current bracket and then go to that person's bracket on SWGOH.GG and see precisely how "easy" it is.
  • Options
    nottenst wrote: »

Of course (if I have time and I'm motivated) I'll look at my bracket on SWGOH.GG

However, that wasn't what we were discussing. We were discussing 'comparing different brackets of the same skill points' and whether other brackets were consistently easier than 'my/your/our' brackets of the same skill points.

My point was that looking at your GAC bracket you can see how "easy" your current bracket is and if you consistently do that you will see how it can vary widely and unexpectedly. I thought you were asking how to see how easy a particular bracket was. I doubt that other brackets are consistently easier that 'my/your/our' brackets of the same skill points. It still seems random and probably will even out over time.

If you are sufficiently motivated, though, you could look beyond your current bracket and then go to that person's bracket on SWGOH.GG and see precisely how "easy" it is.

Well the topic is 'How we are ranked when we have the same skill points'. The only relevance that has is how it affects the formation of brackets.............right? As it wouldn't affect promotion or relegation, as that's done on the score.

So the only reason that would be a worry is if you always compared your bracket's difficulty to others' on the same skill points bracket, and came to the conclusion you were being hard done by.

That's a level of paranoia and sanity destroying I wish not to delve!
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    If I were coding this I would probably create a compound key for ranking.

MatchMaker Ranking =
    (SR * 10,000,000,000,000)+(GP*1,000,000)+Ally Code

So for example
    Skill Rating: 3610
    GP: 10,000,000
    Ally code: 018,675,309
    MMR: 361,010,000,018,675,309

Which would fit in an unsigned 64-bit integer
    uint64 max: 18,446,744,073,709,551,615

* Skill Rating remains the first order sort
    * GP as the second order sort increases the chances of players fighting opponents with comparable GP
    * player ID as the third order sort removes any chance of duplicate values
  • chrisfx
    13 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Why does 'rank' only matter for the top of Kyber 1?

Why is being perpetually matched against players with a similar skill point value not ideal?

These are both strong claims which you don't (or I haven't seen) clarify.

1) Look at the rewards structure for K1 (top ranks get more)
    2) In the post I linked, at the very end I touch on it. But in short, theoretically bottom ranked players will match top ranked of lower ratings group constantly (as is my case). If it's anything to do with old system GAC final rank, then you're potentially mismatched on efficiency.
    Post edited by chrisfx on
  • chrisfx
    13 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    We’ve established that it’s NOT legacy points, nor is it ally code.

As far as I know, player ID is not visible in game or on swgoh.gg, so I don’t know how you plan to check this out.

Can you send a screenshot of your “My Ranking” tab in GAC? I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but it might help figure out what’s going on if we see who’s ranked second last in your skill rating and top of the one below you.
    Yes I have sent 2 already, they're at the end of the post I linked. I did a huge write up there and didn't want to rehash it all
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
  • Options
    Why would you be shocked? I mean, someone has to be last. If what you're saying is true (and if it really depends on the player ID), then maybe you just happen to have an ID that would be listed as last like 99% of the time because of certain parameters we're not aware of.
    True, someone has got to be last. I think it would theoretically narrow your matches more obviously, but who knows. I can't rule out the possibility!

My theory implies that instead the people who designed the new system opted to just leave the current rank order in place. We already had an existing leader board at the end of the final GAC season, before the changes. It would take less work than any other option to just leave it. Less work is often a winning option!

Think about it this way: We were all already divided by GP. Old GAC only had divisions. We still have divisions, but now they are grouped within Leagues. All existing players were already sorted (GP = Division), and ranked (previous GAC season standings). They just added another layer to the previous sort, now splitting us into League Divisions, and our rank was just where we were in the previous GAC leader board.
    All new players as they qualify get sorted to the bottom League-Division to start. All players that quit or otherwise just didn't join the final old GAC received ratings later on, and I presume they would be sorted into ranks based on however CG decided to systematically find/add them all in the first place.
  • chrisfx
    13 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    And my player ID starts with 0Zx.. so it's both extremes on the spectrum haha. Could be they rank by zero, then Z.. and maybe I haven't met mister 0Zy yet!
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

2) Read to the very end of my previous post I linked. But in short, theoretically bottom ranked players will match top ranked of lower ratings group constantly (as is my case). If it's anything to do with old system GAC final rank, then you're potentially mismatched on efficiency.
    2) we’ve already established it’s nothing to do with old GAC system final rank.
  • chrisfx
    13 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    2) we’ve already established it’s nothing to do with old GAC system final rank.

Where? I've seen, and known since day 1, that it's not legacy banners overall. I'm not saying it's that.
  • chrisfx
    13 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Also made some edits to my replies cause I was typing quickly, and realized I was coming off very short and abrasive when that's not my intention at all. Sorry!
  • Options

Why does 'rank' only matter for the top of Kyber 1?

Why is being perpetually matched against players with a similar skill point value not ideal?

These are both strong claims which you don't (or I haven't seen) clarify.

1) Look at the rewards structure for K1 (top ranks get more)

Good point about the weekly and championship rank rewards. I didn't think of that. However, if you're on the same points as the 1st place, do you get less reward? Or do they blanket reward everybody with the same amount? I wouldn't know tbh.

I still don't see how it only affects K1, as each division has this same structure doesn't it? Albeit less rewards. And in K1 there are going to be far less players on the same points (usually zero for the top players) compared to other leagues and divisions.
    2) In the post I linked, at the very end I touch on it. But in short, theoretically bottom ranked players will match top ranked of lower ratings group constantly (as is my case). If it's anything to do with old system GAC final rank, then you're potentially mismatched on efficiency.

Efficiency doesn't matter anymore (affecting your skill points) as you get the same amount of points whether you win big or win small. Maybe because of what you suggested in the old system.

As for being mismatched with players with a slightly lower skill point figure............I don't think the current skill point ranking system is anywhere near accurate enough for that to matter at all.

• Options
    See I think there needs to be a surrender button i am facing an opponent who got the best roll on Kenobi and there is no chance I can beat him with the teams i have he can basically block off an entire sector. We have almost the same gp but he just has better teams and datacrons are horrendous considering you basically are gambling with them to be good or broken.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    See I think there needs to be a surrender button i am facing an opponent who got the best roll on Kenobi and there is no chance I can beat him with the teams i have he can basically block off an entire sector. We have almost the same gp but he just has better teams and datacrons are horrendous considering you basically are gambling with them to be good or broken.

the surrender button is doing one battle
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • nottenst
    690 posts Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Just because I was curious I did go to my ranking and picked the person with that same skill ranking just below the 8 in my Kyber 2 bracket.

In my bracket (#10992-#10999) the GP range is 7.6M to 8.6M with a 10.2M thrown in. There are 4 people with all 6 GLs and the rest have 5.

In the bracket just below (#11000-11007) the GP range is 6.6M to 8.2M. Only one of them has all 6 GLs. 2 have 4 and the rest have 5.

In the bracket just above (#10991-10983) (#10984 must not have signed up) the GP range is 6.9M to 8.5M. 1 has 5 GLs, the rest have 4 GLs. On the other hand there are 5 Malgus relics.

All of these are the same skill numbers. It appears to just be the luck of the draw as to where we land and whether the bracket appears easier than another one.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

I dont want the thing taunting me with notifications about how I need to attack on my screen though. I already know I lost.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

I dont want the thing taunting me with notifications about how I need to attack on my screen though. I already know I lost.

Attack with 3PO alone, instant loss and 10 points. Done. Collect crystals next day.
  • Options
    Can we nail this down because I’m getting a bit tired of these threads? There’s no matchmaking. Your bracket is determined by ranking which is determined by results. Imagining that anything else determines or should determine rank (eg an algorithm, morality, fairness, relative ‘age’ of roster, favourite cereal brand etc) is magical thinking. Magical thinking is never a good look - and I should know as I’ve built my whole marketing strategy on it (you think I really have time to check whose been naughty or nice - twice?!?). The whole GAC ranking ladder has been effectively deregulated & handed to the player base. Now, based on past performance, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to ask for CG to take it back in hand and introduce a new set of regulations. They won’t work for you.