give players a choice to que for 3v3 or 5v5?

Prev1
Hieroglyphics
16 posts Member
edited September 2022
Can we just create two separate leaderboards and allow for the player to decide to que for GAC in 3v3 or 5v5 of their choosing? I personally don't like the game balance of 3v3 as the entire game and characters are focused on a 5v5 balance generally. I understand a population enjoys 3v3 but I don't like the idea of being forced to play a meta I don't have fun with and neither should those who enjoy 3v3 more than 5v5 be forced to play 5v5.

One of the main issues is there are a lot of players who refuse to play 3v3 out of protest and won't play or join and attack once for 10 points and lose thus constantly sandbag their GP to lower brackets until 3v3 is over thus when 5v5 comes back around we have 2M or less GP players squaring up against 5M-8M GP players with multiple GLs in bronzium/carbonite and makes PVP matchups unwinnable and just unfair.

Replies

• TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Disagree
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Can we just create two separate leaderboards and allow for the player to decide to que for GAC in 3v3 or 5v5 of their choosing? I personally don't like the game balance of 3v3 as the entire game and characters are focused on a 5v5 balance generally. I understand a population enjoys 3v3 but I don't like the idea of being forced to play a meta I don't have fun with and neither should those who enjoy 3v3 more than 5v5 be forced to play 5v5.

One of the main issues is there are a lot of players who refuse to play 3v3 out of protest and won't play or join and attack once for 10 points and lose thus constantly sandbag their GP to lower brackets until 3v3 is over thus when 5v5 comes back around we have 2M or less GP players squaring up against 5M-8M GP players with multiple GLs in bronzium/carbonite and makes PVP matchups unwinnable and just unfair.

It’s a slippery slope. Why not 4 separate ladders for those who don’t like ships ? It’s not the main focus of the game neither. Why about players who don’t like datacrons (i heard there are a few) ?
  • Options
    100% agree with the OP.
    Let players choose.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Also ships or no ships. Also DC or no DC. Also GL or no GL. Also omi or no omi. Also mods or no mods. Also Jedi or no Jedi. Also f2p or no f2p.

Nah. Play the game we all play.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Also ships or no ships. Also DC or no DC. Also GL or no GL. Also omi or no omi. Also mods or no mods. Also Jedi or no Jedi. Also f2p or no f2p.

need an option to queue in without zeta, relics, 7* toons, and level 85 also
  • Options
    I welcome the idea of f2p and no f2p.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Also rejected.
  • Options
    Biggest issue with 3vs3 is that the rest of the game is 5 toons or more. Teams are far more rng based and kits do not fit. Uf there would be nice combos in that mode ... ok. But there arent. The kits simply never work good in 3vs3 and now with datacrons its even worse.
    So its simply uninteresting. I do not want to play an rng fest which is generated in 3vs3 and now forced on me due to crystal income issues by cg. So basically one has to play 3vs3. And i dislike it like 90% of my guild. Basically set 4 to 6 GL and make one fight and be done in 3vs3. So ... it enhances NOT playing, but not that you like to play.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    3v3 has been around forever now and teams work fine for it.
  • Options
    Aside from the slippery slope reductio ad absurdum arguments (some of you are better than this), does anyone have a legit reason why they wouldn't like the option to choose between 3v3 and 5v5? I get why CG doesn't want to give us that option. But why should we as players be against it?
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    I'm selfish and I want to continue to face opponents that aren't good at it.
  • Options
    That is a good reason for you :D
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

It’s a slippery slope. Why not 4 separate ladders for those who don’t like ships ? It’s not the main focus of the game neither. Why about players who don’t like datacrons (i heard there are a few) ?

Wouldn't be a slippery slope by just choosing 3v3 or 5v5 no other alterations. Also, the idea of letting players choose isn't anything new or outlandish lots of games in MMOs, FPS, MOBA's, RTS, etc allow the players to choose what competitive PVP bracket/leaderboard they want to play the current season. I played a lot of MMOs and the standard is usually 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 and players can choose what they want to play, even in esports like CSGO and such players can choose 1v1, 2v2, or 5v5 tournaments and so on, etc as there are a lot of examples in a lot of other games and we can all agree the current GAC system was implemented poorly but it can be fixed. Each bracket had its own community and you played till X rating and got the same rewards regardless of what PVP bracket you choose to play.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Wouldn't be a slippery slope by just choosing 3v3 or 5v5 no other alterations. Also, the idea of letting players choose isn't anything new or outlandish lots of games in MMOs, FPS, MOBA's, RTS, etc allow the players to choose what competitive PVP bracket/leaderboard they want to play the current season. I played a lot of MMOs and the standard is usually 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 and players can choose what they want to play, even in esports like CSGO and such players can choose 1v1, 2v2, or 5v5 tournaments and so on, etc as there are a lot of examples in a lot of other games and we can all agree the current GAC system was implemented poorly but it can be fixed. Each bracket had its own community and you played till X rating and got the same rewards regardless of what PVP bracket you choose to play.

Well, sure the 3v3 or 5v5 gang could have his way without touching ships, but that wouldn’t be fair to the shipsucks squad and i have no idea which one got the bigger posse.
    About ‘other games do it’ (and also for Ragnarok who would like another reason ;) ): it’s not the same game. Swgoh is not only a collector game but a strategy game with an important resource management part to it; some players (as i do) enjoy this roster building part very much. Building your roster taking into accounts all these different parts of the game (5v5, 3v3, conquest, tb, tw, raids…) is challenging and fun. Should i farm first a character stronger in 3v3 or 5v5 ? Should i finish my prerequisites Rogue One team for 5v5 or should i farm something else instead and enjoy my R1 trio in 3v3 ? Should i use my omi on Tuskens for 3v3, tw or tb ? It’s fun this way (for some players at least) because there are more meaningful choices.
  • Options

Well, sure the 3v3 or 5v5 gang could have his way without touching ships, but that wouldn’t be fair to the shipsucks squad and i have no idea which one got the bigger posse.
    About ‘other games do it’ (and also for Ragnarok who would like another reason ;) ): it’s not the same game. Swgoh is not only a collector game but a strategy game with an important resource management part to it; some players (as i do) enjoy this roster building part very much. Building your roster taking into accounts all these different parts of the game (5v5, 3v3, conquest, tb, tw, raids…) is challenging and fun. Should i farm first a character stronger in 3v3 or 5v5 ? Should i finish my prerequisites Rogue One team for 5v5 or should i farm something else instead and enjoy my R1 trio in 3v3 ? Should i use my omi on Tuskens for 3v3, tw or tb ? It’s fun this way (for some players at least) because there are more meaningful choices.

Thank you. I respect how you feel. Do keep in mind that that is your opinion. Others feel differently and have equally valid reasons to feel that way.
  • Hieroglyphics
    16 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I'm referencing other games because CG literally STOLE this rating system of 1-5 brackets within bronze, silver, gold, diamond, platinum, etc from other games like league of legends, starcraft, counter strike, valorant, etc of other games of multiple play style genre's that use this system, for example, but did poorly in its implementation I mean there is nothing wrong with stealing from the best and art is going to borrow from other art, but we only got 50% of the system available from the other games of what makes PVP in those games successful and we currently have an incomplete version of that PVP system they stole/poorly copied and again even those games that they stole this pvp/tournament system having the option of 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 and the players are allowed to choose what to play in. I mean there are also other successful details from the system they poorly copied that should be in here, but i'll ignore those for now one problem at a time.
  • Options
    Speaking of SC ladder... wish we could do 2v2 or 4v4 mini-TWs. Don't even have to give me a reward. Just have a reasonable number of teams to set, give us a ladder, and a matchmaking lobby (so matches would be something like 15 minutes to set defenses and 1 hour to attack). Could be fun! But alas, it'll never happen.
  • Hieroglyphics
    16 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Speaking of SC ladder... wish we could do 2v2 or 4v4 mini-TWs. Don't even have to give me a reward. Just have a reasonable number of teams to set, give us a ladder, and a matchmaking lobby (so matches would be something like 15 minutes to set defenses and 1 hour to attack). Could be fun! But alas, it'll never happen.

that's fine as long as they don't force players to play that game mode only and allow players the option to choose to sign up for those game modes or games like LOL, WOW, etc release bonus PVP game modes events that are fun or wacky that go on during the current standard PVP season. Usually play this game mode 5 or 10 times and you something cosmetic, title, or mid/low tier resources etc.
  • Krjstoff
    633 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

lol ... imagine if CG threw us a curve ball and created GAC seasons with all these kinds of kinks.

I'ld love to try a round of GAC with "no mods", "no leaders allowed", "6v6", 2v2 without leader abilities" or "only your 80 lowest geared toons can be used".

• Options

I'm referencing other games because CG literally STOLE this rating system of 1-5 brackets within bronze, silver, gold, diamond, platinum, etc from other games like league of legends,..............., but did poorly in its implementation.

I play a lot of League of Legends and I didn't relate the 2 systems, but I guess you have a point.

LoL system has been around a long time and is always being refined/tweaked. SWGOH system is 6 months old. LoL for example after several years dropped the 5 divisions to 4 and added a new league on the bottom.

I don't agree that CG did it 'poorly'. I definitely think there could be improvements, but I think that more about the LoL system tbh. So.....it's a matter of perspective, I guess. I feel both systems are too 'manipulative' rather than true win/loss system.

The bottom line though, I do really dislike there being 1 ranking for 3v3 & 5v5.

And more and more, I really wish I was playing a lot less 3v3 than I am right now.

• Ragnarok_COTF
    1791 posts Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

were you dropped on your head as a kid? I don't know where you got all that mess, alterations, and restrictions from being able to have a choice to play 3v3 or 5v5 like every other game, especially the games that CG literally ripped and stole this exact ranking system from but it's incomplete as the other games that have this system have multiple PVP ranking formats to choose from to play for the current season.
    Classy response.

If you peruse these forums you will see many people have suggested Datacrons / No Datacrons; F2P / P2P; ships / no ships as well as dozens of threads asking for what you’re asking for.

If the devs catered for everyone who wants to disengage with an aspect of the game, you’d need almost a dozen different GAC ladders.

OP did not suggest they cater to everyone who wants to disengage with an aspect of the game. OP suggested one thing he'd like to see, the merits of which can be discussed on their own without digressing into other obviously ridiculous suggestions in an attempt to conflate OP's request with them.

Why is this less ridiculous than no ships or no datacrons or no GLs?

3v3 is a game mode. Ships, DCs, and GLs are part of our collection. OP' suggestion doesn't restrict anyone's collection. It just let's you choose how you play with it.

I do believe some others threw out some suggestions like 2v2 or 6v6. I would say those are no more/less ridiculous than 3v3. That's not an endorsement for those game modes (not that my endorsement means anything). However, I would say that adding a 2v2 and 6v6 league with voluntary signup doesn't go against what OP was requesting. So discussion of those game modes is moot in the context of OP's post.

Other than TVF saying he wants compulsory 3v3 because it gives him easy wins and Starslayer saying he likes the added layer of roster development management, I've yet to see anyone make an argument as to why we shouldn't be allowed to play the game mode we prefer.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Ships aren't a game mode?
  • Options
    Ships aren't a game mode?

No. Ships are part of your collection. You use them in various game modes: Fleet Battles (Normal/Hard nodes), fleet combats in TW/TB/GAC/GC.

I think what you're maybe trying to get at is that "No Ships" would just be another variant of GAC, like 5v5 and 3v3. However, as I pointed out, the difference between "No Ships" and #v# is that one removes part of your collection and the other merely changes how they are used.

And again, suggesting that we have to entertain the merits of every possible variant because OP wants to choose between 3v3 and 5v5 is ridiculous. Starcraft has many game modes. They do not have a separate ladder for 3v5 or TZvPP or no ships or no upgrades etc.

But all of this is yet another distraction to avoid discussing what OP actually suggested. 3v3 and 5v5 can and should be discussed on their own merits since they are already in the game. OP is not asking for a new game mode. Just to be able to choose which one he plays.
  • Options
    3v3 should be like 3 times a year, not every other month
  • Options
    OP is not asking for a new game mode. Just to be able to choose which one he plays.

Yes (s)he is. GAC’s current game mode is an alternate of 3v3+ships and 5v5+ships. It has been for a long time and only changed during exhibition period of gac 2.0. Making any change to that will change GAC. Matter of opinion if it will be better or worse, but it will be a new game mode for sure.

• Options
    changed during exhibition period of gac 2.0.

Exhibition period?? I'm not sure I'd call it that.

Call me stupid, but with the new win/loss ranking system, I really thought they were going to quietly retire 3v3. Looking at the videos and streams + comments when the new deployment system was implemented with a 3v3 deployment, I wasn't the only one.

I genuinely thought the rating system was going to be a 'true' system. Not saying that I think it's bad, just not my vision.
  • Options
    OP is not asking for a new game mode. Just to be able to choose which one he plays.

Yes (s)he is. GAC’s current game mode is an alternate of 3v3+ships and 5v5+ships. It has been for a long time and only changed during exhibition period of gac 2.0. Making any change to that will change GAC. Matter of opinion if it will be better or worse, but it will be a new game mode for sure.

"They" is the gender-neutral pronoun you're looking for, fyi.

You said OP is looking for a new game mode and then proceeded to explain how their request is a change to the existing game mode. If you consider changes to existing game modes to be "new" game modes, then we disagree only on semantics which still have no bearing on the issue at hand.
  • Options
    To clarify, we do also disagree as to whether this change to GAC (or "new" game mode, if you prefer) would be a good or bad idea. Which is fine. I respect that you feel differently. I'm being particularly combative because it's slow at work and there were a lot of bad-faith and off-topic arguments being made.
  • Options

"They" is the gender-neutral pronoun you're looking for, fyi.

You said OP is looking for a new game mode and then proceeded to explain how their request is a change to the existing game mode. If you consider changes to existing game modes to be "new" game modes, then we disagree only on semantics which still have no bearing on the issue at hand.

Yep, semantics.

Also: thanks for ‘they’. It’s in a lot of kits, i should know by now.
  • Options

changed during exhibition period of gac 2.0.

Exhibition period?? I'm not sure I'd call it that.

Call me stupid, but with the new win/loss ranking system, I really thought they were going to quietly retire 3v3. Looking at the videos and streams + comments when the new deployment system was implemented with a 3v3 deployment, I wasn't the only one.

I genuinely thought the rating system was going to be a 'true' system. Not saying that I think it's bad, just not my vision.

Q&A 12/02 (2022)

Q: Will we have a separate bracket for 3v3 and 5v5? Some rosters may be more geared towards one of the game modes and Win/Loss ratios may vary greatly.
    A: We are not planning on splitting 5v5 and 3v3 GAC brackets at this time but we will only be running 5v5 Grand Arenas while we monitor the initial tuning of the system. Once we run 3v3 we will keep a close eye on how this performs. -Jay