Dear Sweet Rey (nerfed?)

Have anyone noticed that it's harder to keep her alive? For some reason she is getting targeted more often now by the AI, or at least appears to be. I have used her in my line up since February and have ran the exact same team since the end of February, she has gone from my last standing character to often being the first one dead. Now this would be understandable if I were playing against a player but I am not. It appears that they have added/changed the coding for the AI to target her more. Has anyone else noticed this or felt this with other characters?

It just seems like the had added a change for the AI to target dps characters more often and not said anything about it. As I rarely run the same teams in GW day after day, I am having to use more of my dps characters depth in order to complete the GW daily. As said my teams change daily but makeup is pretty much the same (healer, tank, dps, dps, dps), in the last few weeks my daily GW I use 2 tanks to complete, one healer and around 9 dps characters.

Replies

• Dark
    199 posts Member
    Options
    AI almost always target my Rey first, I guess it is because she has the lowest HP pool.
    GW AI is different from Arena AI, in GW it always goes for the killing blow, low HP supports and healers.
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • Options
    Has this always happened @Dark or something newer. I have only noticed it for a couple weeks and find it hard to think that the previous couple months was just me having RNG on my side ya know but it could be possible.
  • Options
    They have definitely been tweaking the AI with each update. That is not a bad thing. I especially notice the AI targeting healers and specifically Daka. Almost everytime I battle a Dooku team he targets Daka with his stun even though I have Jedi in my squad. You are correct that Rey gets targeted too, FOTP also.

I have definitely noticed that the AI focuses on one target more often too. It's not a bad thing since that is how most people fight with their squad. In GW the AI definitely smells blood and goes after a lower health char especially if it is one of your healers.

I'm hoping that fortitude solves the problem with lower health chars being one shotted. It will definitely make the game more interesting and difficult from an offensive standpoint if you can't take Rey and FOTP out before they move.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    @Dark
    Yea, I noticed that too. You'd think it would be the opposite so people could keep their arena rankings.

GW can be crazy hard at the last few nodes when they just decide to up and focus one single character no matter how you re-arrange, add/remove new characters. The AI seed seems to be overwritten to just straight up murder anyone in yellow/red.
  • Options
    @MrClean621 her being one shot is not my concern and I am not a fan of the fortitude buff they are talking about adding. Great dps characters only add one thing to a group so by using them you essentially weaken the squad. Rey and FOTP (which are the only 2 great dps characters) add nothing that helps other out but with their very high dps they should not be able to live long, that's not my issue. If they changed the AI we should be notified.
  • Options
    Yeah not only is the AI targeting her first but so do I. Getting hit by her or Fotp could be hard to come back from.
  • Options
    Well I believe fortitude will also help out the other chars from being one shotted by Rey, FOTP, etc. Those chars will likely be able to knock fortitude off quicker. No one really knows until we see it I guess but it sounds like a shield of sorts. Basically it sounds like it will allow most toons to live past the first round so that more toons will become useful and timing of heals etc will be more important. Right now those DPS you speak of don't even get to do their job even once before they are dead. I think this fortitude will be a good thing.

I have no problem with them tweaking the AI and not telling us. Do they really need to announce every little change they make to the game? It's easy enough to figure out that the AI is doing something different after you fight a few battles. The AI needs to be a bit smarter IMO.
  • Dark
    199 posts Member
    Options
    @MrClean621 her being one shot is not my concern and I am not a fan of the fortitude buff they are talking about adding. Great dps characters only add one thing to a group so by using them you essentially weaken the squad. Rey and FOTP (which are the only 2 great dps characters) add nothing that helps other out but with their very high dps they should not be able to live long, that's not my issue. If they changed the AI we should be notified.

They are constantly tweaking AI, so expect some changes in AI behavior.
    Ally Code: 859-197-534
  • Options
    If they did an AI tweak that's a good thing. And nobody needs to notify anybody. Play and adjust.
  • Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »

I have no problem with them tweaking the AI and not telling us. Do they really need to announce every little change they make to the game? It's easy enough to figure out that the AI is doing something different after you fight a few battles. The AI needs to be a bit smarter IMO.

Not to make this a post to blast the Dervs but in a game where they have update announcements just to announce future updates, a dedicated website, forum site and a sister site(that they use more) there should have it listed somewhere about everything they have done.
  • Options
    If in GW, just have JC on your team. The AI seems to attack him above everyone else I play with including Rey.
  • Options
    I just think it would be difficult for them to include every little thing they do. The patch notes would be 10 pages long. Also... My client restarts quite often so I'm guessing they are constantly making small tweaks to things. Granted... Everytime the game restarts I am paranoid about what they did lol... but for the most part I think little stealth changes are quite common in these sorts of games.

Occasionally I will notice certain toons behaving differently with the AI so perhaps they work on one toon at a time and tweak how they attack etc.
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The A.I. attacks Rey and Rex like crazy now. It's a good thing that they are improving A.I. in pvp. It needs to be harder so, **** teams cant get so high in rank, because of a weak defense. It's a little frustrating in GW, but overall good. ..... I think :p
  • Options
    Yes, I too noticed an increase in the Rey-targeting recently. I think my main concern is that if they smarten the AI's actions over time, they should also tone down the crazy "RNG miracles" for the defending team at the same time. If it does end up tipping the scales in favor of defensive AI, I know a LOT of people will not be having fun playing this game anymore.

I would not mind seeing a more intelligent AI in the future, but they will definitely have to turn down the excessive proc-rate crutch that is being used with the current non-intelligence.
  • Options
    The AI seems smarter, targets either low health or healers/high damage first, begins to focus on one character at a tike
  • Options
    Usually, that's how a player would do it, take out highest DPS threat first or Daka and that's what we're seeing.
    Perhaps the developers are using a heuristic algorithm to teach the AI based on learning from what actual players do?
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Options
    I've been running Rey for a while now, I haven't noticed anything.
  • Options
    It would make sense, in 2016 imagine nerfing a strong female lead caracther. That would earn you a place amongst the monsters of our history.
  • Options
    Believe AI improved only in GW. In arena Dooku still tries to stun RG or GS over QGJ, Rey or Lumi.
    In GW, he goes after Jedis (healers and Ahsoka). Enemy Yoda goes for BM when facing Dooku or Sid. If I bring Yoda and use BM, enemy Sid, Kylo and other debuffers go for basic not AoE.
    My theory is that there are at least two dev teams in EA/CG, one works on Arena and the other one on GW. No prizes for guessing which one is actually playing the game.
  • CountOrlandu
    142 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey OP!! are you on my arena ladder. there is a guy named decayingsoul usually number 1 at eastern time zone payout.

I play for central timezone so i try and knock ya off right at 605 central. Its weird though a lot of the names are changing and hard for me to gage which timezone these new guys are running...I try and avoid people that are fighting for their timezone payoff..

On topic. yes my daka seems to be getting a lot more heat both on attacks in arena and in gw lately.

O and my rey is 13 shards away from 7 star. So you can expect here true nerf to come in 2 or 3 days!! hahah
  • Citoak
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Usually, that's how a player would do it, take out highest DPS threat first or Daka and that's what we're seeing.
    Perhaps the developers are using a heuristic algorithm to teach the AI based on learning from what actual players do?

This was my guess...When I noticed that the AI is acting like me I knew something was up.