Why isn’t lower GP given the win in a GAC tie?

Prev1345
I just finished my GAC round and my opponent is almost a full million GP higher than I am with an extra GL and profundity.
Great match where we had great theory crafted strategies to get one shots and max out our banners as much as we could. Wasn’t expecting to win honestly but my defense surprisingly held up so I actually gave the round a go.

We end up tying but now he wins just because of a higher roster/bigger wallet. Isn’t that kind of backwards? Shouldn’t someone punching up almost a million GP with less available to them be given the edge in that feat alone?

It’s not just cause it happened to me, it’s never sat right with me that anyone who can punch up on their opponent loses. Idk, am I in the minority here?

Replies

• Options
    It's to reward players who've invested more into their rosters and incentive the loser to do same. Simple as that.
  • Options
    Hawthorne wrote: »
    It's to reward players who've invested more into their rosters and incentive the loser to do same. Simple as that.

I guess typical CG...reward cash/laziness over ability. If you're a million under, you definitely did a better job than the other guy. I know that's their stated reason, doesn't make it a good one though.
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    cboath7 wrote: »

I guess typical CG...reward cash/laziness over ability. If you're a million under, you definitely did a better job than the other guy. I know that's their stated reason, doesn't make it a good one though.

Why shouldn't higher GP be rewarded?

You can always purposely hold your GP back but you can't go back once you increase it

You are also discouraging players from upgrading toons and that defeats the purpose of a hero collector game

The whole idea and logic of "You did better than the other guy since you had lower GP" is baloney

If you did better than the other guy you wouldn't have gotten a tie in the scores in the first place

You both were equally good, hence the equal scores

Some people might have lower GP but better investment in key toons / mods

Lower GP = Better player doesn't make sense to me at all
  • Options
    Agreed.

The other thing that doesn’t make sense is the whole “bigger wallet / reward cash” argument as well. Maybe I’m foolish, but I expect a better strength of argument from seasoned forumers than insinuating anyone with higher GP has paid for the privilege.
  • Options
    It’s absolutely true that a lower GP win = better. Whether that’s better at strategically picking and placing teams for GAC, better at focusing farms on high impact teams, better at understanding and upgrading mods, or better at resource management in general, they were able to do more with less. I agree with OP that ties should go to the lower GP.

The one counterargument I agree with is intentionally holding your upgrades back to artificially lower your GP. I can see how ties going to the lower GP player would incentivize not upgrading team. But other than that, I 100% agree that winning with lower GP shows greater skill.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    A business trying to make more money, what?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    It’s absolutely true that a lower GP win = better. But other than that, I 100% agree that winning with lower GP shows greater skill.
    They didn’t win, though.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

You can always purposely hold your GP back but you can't go back once you increase it

You are also discouraging players from upgrading toons and that defeats the purpose of a hero collector game

The whole idea and logic of "You did better than the other guy since you had lower GP" is baloney

If you did better than the other guy you wouldn't have gotten a tie in the scores in the first place

I actually agree with you on this one. There are plenty of folks who start alt accounts and farm SLKR straight away. Those folks expect to win against similar aged accounts, but then complain when they go up against higher GP teams. That is what happens when you inflate your win count by starting a highly focused roster devoid of fun but have a GL at 1.5mil GP.
  • Options
    It’s absolutely true that a lower GP win = better. But other than that, I 100% agree that winning with lower GP shows greater skill.
    They didn’t win, though.

Thanks, I should have phrased that better. A genuine lower GP tie = higher skill than your opponent.
  • Options
    They didn’t win, though.

Thanks, I should have phrased that better. A genuine lower GP tie = higher skill than your opponent.
    I still disagree, but at least now it’s relevant to the thread.
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    It’s absolutely true that a lower GP win = better. Whether that’s better at strategically picking and placing teams for GAC, better at focusing farms on high impact teams, better at understanding and upgrading mods, or better at resource management in general, they were able to do more with less. I agree with OP that ties should go to the lower GP.

The one counterargument I agree with is intentionally holding your upgrades back to artificially lower your GP. I can see how ties going to the lower GP player would incentivize not upgrading team. But other than that, I 100% agree that winning with lower GP shows greater skill.

You do know that gearing up pilots can drastically shoot up your GP so one player who also does fleet (including ones he doesn't use but its very easy to upgrade fleet units) + toons might have less to work with while having a higher GP
  • Options
    I would assume it is like boxing, title defense, the challenger have to defeat his opponent to take the title, you didn't defeat the champion, you don't take his title.
  • Options
    People say a tie is a win for both people. I say it is a loss for both people. You can’t have 2 losers in GAC unless neither participate, and you def can’t have 2 winners. GP is a tiebreaker. If you have the higher GP, but you weren’t chasing banners, and you tie, you win. that is how it should be.
  • crzydroid
    7333 posts Moderator
    Options
    Shouldn't they win for being able to tie you, the better player?
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options

I actually agree with you on this one. There are plenty of folks who start alt accounts and farm SLKR straight away. Those folks expect to win against similar aged accounts, but then complain when they go up against higher GP teams. That is what happens when you inflate your win count by starting a highly focused roster devoid of fun but have a GL at 1.5mil GP.

Devoid of fun for you perhaps, not everyone has the same definition of fun though.
  • Options
    GP doesnt represent quality of GAC teams and also the fact that GAC is fluid in players moving up and down means some are punching above their weight (yes a lot could be down to good theorycrafting/strategy) and there are quite a few higher GPs who pay GAC minimal attention. So, no, if you have a lesser GP, tough, thats the rules and believe it or not whilst you wallow in pity, rules apply to all of us.
  • Drathuk916
    633 posts Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The jealousy that comes from some ftp players is tiresome. Not everyone who has more gp than you automatically is a spender and even if they are purchasing resources whether crystals, gear, shards or anything else it is not evil.

• Options
    While I don't agree with the title, one thing I don't like is with the outcome of a draw, the cpu gets to reuse the toons, which almost 99% of the time they regen their chars on their very first turn if they get the chance. Why as an human fighter can I not have access to the same chars I also drew with?

The CPU gets them back and the same health and protection, why can't I..sure I get the advantage of adding new chars to my attack, but its pretty lame really that have to use 5 brand new chars. Id like to see this changed, or the cpu is blocked from regening the already damaged toons.
  • Options
    Honestly this has always bothered me too, as a player who is perpetually fighting larger accounts. And I spend money too, it’s not a jealously issue. I would just argue that if I can match the performance of an account with a lot more tools at their disposal, then I’m actually outperforming them relatively.

But really I think it’s a matchmaking issue more than anything. The matchmaking should be a combination of skill rating and a weighted distribution within a range of your GP. The idea being, that you face opponents who have similar skill ratings within a similar range of GP, which would reward both efficient roster building and strategic roster use.
  • Options
    Drathuk916 wrote: »
    The jealousy that comes from some ftp players is tiresome. Not everyone who has more gp than you automatically is a spender and even if they are purchasing resources whether crystals, gear, shards or anything else it is not evil.

Where did u get the idea that op is f2p, lower gp=f2p?
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    While I don't agree with the title, one thing I don't like is with the outcome of a draw, the cpu gets to reuse the toons, which almost 99% of the time they regen their chars on their very first turn if they get the chance. Why as an human fighter can I not have access to the same chars I also drew with?

The CPU gets them back and the same health and protection, why can't I..sure I get the advantage of adding new chars to my attack, but its pretty lame really that have to use 5 brand new chars. Id like to see this changed, or the cpu is blocked from regening the already damaged toons.

Um, what?
  • Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Yeah this confused me too. I’ve spent my fair share in the game, albeit lately I haven’t because of my own personal reasons. I guess it cause I said “bigger roster/bigger wallet” which is subjective based on the matchup because in some cases that can be the case. My last matchup is either way though. I didn’t infer he spent more because almost 1 lol GP doesn’t denote he spent more, could just be better resource management or even better pulls. But spending could in other cases.

I’m glad there’s legitimate discussion about this though. Would be nice for a dev to comment on this.
  • Options

Think lower GP has less teams though. Yet they can punch up and match someone in a better position than them. For example my opponent had profundity and Jabba but I still theory crafted them to be on an equal plane. Why is it baloney that a lower GP player with less teams can match someone higher?
  • Options
    Imo "higher gp" is already random enough. If it was lower gp, people would complain why it is lower when higher deserves it more, if it was random people would complain why it is random. Imo none of the two sides deserves it more, they both deserve it equally. But then giving it both the win (besides cg not wanting to dish out 2x rewards) would bork the placement system.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Um, what?

If you draw the match - the CPU gets to re use the same toons, but you don't...my question is "why" they didn't die if its a draw...so why are they now deemed unuseable for the battle only...I'm not suggesting if you move to a different section you can reuse them, just that battle if its a drawn.

Soon as the battle restarts - cpu team if it has a toon that can regen the team.

I'd either like the option of you being able to reuse the same toons that didn't die, on the exact same battle only (untill the obviously die) or the CPU is blocked from being able to regenerate their H & P. You can reuse chars on the rancor if they escape like MM 3P0 and Hoda so why not here, how is that hard to work out?
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options

Um, what?

If you draw the match - the CPU gets to re use the same toons, but you don't...my question is "why" they didn't die if its a draw...so why are they now deemed unuseable for the battle only...I'm not suggesting if you move to a different section you can reuse them, just that battle if its a drawn.

Soon as the battle restarts - cpu team if it has a toon that can regen the team.

I'd either like the option of you being able to reuse the same toons that didn't die, on the exact same battle only (untill the obviously die) or the CPU is blocked from being able to regenerate their H & P. You can reuse chars on the rancor if they escape like MM 3P0 and Hoda so why not here, how is that hard to work out?

Defense stays until defeated, I don't see the issue. And sure they can regen if they have something that does it. It's fine. The solution is to win the battle.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Yeah this confused me too. I’ve spent my fair share in the game, albeit lately I haven’t because of my own personal reasons. I guess it cause I said “bigger roster/bigger wallet” which is subjective based on the matchup because in some cases that can be the case. My last matchup is either way though. I didn’t infer he spent more because almost 1 lol GP doesn’t denote he spent more, could just be better resource management or even better pulls. But spending could in other cases.

I’m glad there’s legitimate discussion about this though. Would be nice for a dev to comment on this.

Comment on what? Confirm what we already know?
  • Options
    I dont get how people dont understand that a lower GP can have better top characters than a higher GP. People forget about bloated rosters?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options

Um, what?

Defense stays until defeated, I don't see the issue. And sure they can regen if they have something that does it. It's fine. The solution is to win the battle. [/quo

Um, what?

Defense stays until defeated, I don't see the issue. And sure they can regen if they have something that does it. It's fine. The solution is to win the battle.

The issue is your toons (whatever was left) where also not defeated, hence a draw is recoreded. So why unlike the CPU set, can you not reuse them on the exact same battle and that battle only....makes no sense.

I fully agree that being able to then use them on another battle situation is no ok - that isn't my point.

I'm sure it could be programmed to work like this. I would also take it further and say it needs to be the exact same toons only, not adding extra toons to be able to power up the ones that got the draw. So if you only had one left, then you take that same toon into battle alone etc.