K2 is the new k1 problem

2Next

Replies

• Options
    Dawnsinger wrote: »
    That’s definitely true. And I think in Kyber the crystal rewards are more generous than it generally gets credit for. I’m just pointing out that even the best case scenario for SA, you’re still coming out ahead in K2.
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    Dawnsinger wrote: »
    You’re going to go close to .500 over time, so there isn’t much sense using anything other than that for the break even point. And as long as we’re being factual, you get very slightly more rewards per day on average due to the reduction from 4 weeks on, 1 week off to 3 weeks on 1 week off.

You’re not getting significantly more rewards in K2 than you were if you were taking 1st with no refreshes in SA, but if you’re staying in K2 for several season you’re mathematically coming out ahead.
    TVF wrote: »
    If rewards are really all you care about, you should be happy. Even if you are pushed to K2 you should be earning way more crystals since they moved them out of arena.

This statement requires a lot of context. It's patently false if you were finishing first daily in squad arena with no refreshes.

it's even less true since the cadence went from 4 weeks on, 1 week off to 3 weeks on 1 week off once conquest came about. The "breakeven" relative to daily first in arena over a 30 day month is ~6-3 in K1 and ~7-2 in K2.

There can be all kinds of conjecture about what Arena would look like in the age of datacrons, along with the value of time spent NOT performing daily arena climbs, but let's be factual about the rewards structure itself.

Your statement doesn't take into account that, during the arena crystal days, very few players got first every day...

Agreed completely. Given that it's something easily quantified, I thought it made sense to quantify it.
  • Options
    Comparing crystals between the new GAC reward structure to arena crystals is a fools argument because there are more overall crystals being obtained now by the majority of players.

The issue is how much K1 has shrunk to almost nothing taking crystals away from those players that got sent down to K2. The domino effect of that is now players who were in K2 are being pushed down to K3 and then by result will be getting even fewer rewards a well. CG set a bench mark of crystal income with the new reward structure but with their skill squish, you can have a winning record but still eventually get pushed out to smaller rewards.

Just because we are getting better rewards now compared to the squad arena payouts doesn’t mean the squish shrinking K1 to almost nothing and now affecting K2 is ok.
  • Options
    If rewards are really all you care about.

Thank you for the Leia paraphrase/misquote that nobody has mentioned , made me smile cheers TVF

• TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Comparing crystals between the new GAC reward structure to arena crystals is a fools argument because there are more overall crystals being obtained now by the majority of players.

The issue is how much K1 has shrunk to almost nothing taking crystals away from those players that got sent down to K2.

If you are only earning 2k more crystals per month instead of 3k more crystals you're still earning 2k more crystals.

And I'm speaking as someone who was directly affected by the k1 squish.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

The issue is how much K1 has shrunk to almost nothing taking crystals away from those players that got sent down to K2.

If you are only earning 2k more crystals per month instead of 3k more crystals you're still earning 2k more crystals.

Nobody is or should be arguing that we are earning more crystals than compared to arena payouts. Like I said that’s a fools argument.

However that type of sentiment is just being complacent to CG implementing a squish system that is taking rewards away from players after a new baseline was set with their reward structure change. That’s a valid concern and issue to have with K1 being shrunk into almost nothing and now K2 being shrunk as well. How is that fair or ok just because we are earning more rewards compared to an old outdated system?
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options

Nobody is or should be arguing that we are earning more crystals than compared to arena payouts. Like I said that’s a fools argument.

However that type of sentiment is just being complacent to CG implementing a squish system that is taking rewards away from players after a new baseline was set with their reward structure change. That’s a valid concern and issue to have with K1 being shrunk into almost nothing and now K2 being shrunk as well. How is that fair or ok just because we are earning more rewards compared to an old outdated system?

I have a crazy amount of crystals over what I used to carry doing the same things with my roster, nearly 2:1, thanks to crystals moving to GAC. I'm not going to complain over losing a small amount due to the squish.
  • Options

I have a crazy amount of crystals over what I used to carry doing the same things with my roster, nearly 2:1, thanks to crystals moving to GAC. I'm not going to complain over losing a small amount due to the squish.

Then you’re just being complacent and appeasing of CG’s actions of setting a standard and then taking it away. That’s fine if you have that mentality but it’s not ok to try and force others to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Then you’re just being complacent and appeasing of CG’s actions of setting a standard and then taking it away. That’s fine if you have that mentality but it’s not ok to try and force others to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Who am I trying to force to do anything?

Yes I am complacent. Roughly speaking I am satisfied with my 14k per month instead of 15k per month when the alternative was 12k plus sitting on my phone for 90m every day at the same time trying to earn that 12k. I am complacent with my 90k and growing crystals instead of my 50k and holding steady crystals. I'm complacent because I'm playing a mobile game and I don't care if you think it's "unfair" or not.
  • Options

Yes I am complacent. Roughly speaking I am satisfied with my 14k per month instead of 15k per month when the alternative was 12k plus sitting on my phone for 90m every day at the same time trying to earn that 12k. I am complacent with my 90k and growing crystals instead of my 50k and holding steady crystals. I'm complacent because I'm playing a mobile game and I don't care if you think it's "unfair" or not.

Then why are you arguing with people bringing up a legitimate issue with CG if you don’t care one way or the other?
  • Options
    If it's not the rewards, and you're facing the same opponents you normally would, what exactly is the issue with K1 shrinking? Bragging rights?
  • BubbaFett
    3311 posts Member
    Options

I agree, and these are just some of the benfits of the new system...

Would also add:

- Removal of shard collusion that kept the rewards from being available to everyone. Yes, some shards were great and shared openly and freely with anyone able to make top rank but, lets face it, some were not.

- The ability to broaden your roster and work on multiple teams as opposed to spending the majority of your resources working on the arena team du jour.

- Actually playing the game as intended. I know this is subjective but I personally find the GA format enjoyable as it forces players to study kits and counters and think about which squads to use where... Do I want to overkill for max banners?, Do I want to potentially mirror match or use an underpowered squad to save the stronger one for later? etc etc. Beats the hell out of constant mirror macthes. If it were up to me, they'd take crystal sout of fleet as well and add more to GAC to compensate.

I do understand that some players don't like change period, whether thats the format change or the "squish" and i would like to see CG stabilize it and then leave it alone. Hopefully that is what they are working towards.
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    If it's not the rewards, and you're facing the same opponents you normally would, what exactly is the issue with K1 shrinking? Bragging rights?

My issue is that it demonstrates a lack of stewardship by CG of the aspect of the game I care the most about. It's just more fuel on the fire fueled by them not addressing several other issues with GAC that are unrelated to the squish and my general dislike of their development decisions the past year or so.

YMMV
  • Options
    CG was probably instructed by the Fed to reduce the amount of Crystals in circulation to fight inflation.
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    Options

Then why are you arguing with people bringing up a legitimate issue with CG if you don’t care one way or the other?

Disagreement /= not caring

I disagree that the rewards are a problem.
  • Options
    For the record, K2 is not shrinking, it’s increased by a bit over 2000 players since October. While I get being upset over K1 being shrunk with no communication and no explanation, people keep leaping to the conclusion that this is impacting K2 and K3 in the same way, which was how this thread started. That’s simply not what is happening.

I also think for a lot of people, discovering that the still relatively new GAC system is rewarding the people who benefited from it most a little less now than it use it isn’t a significant source of angst. If you’re in K1 or K2, you’re still the biggest beneficiary of the crystal move even if it’s not by as many crystals as it started out.

Personally, I’d love it if K1 went back to the stated goal of 10% of Kyber. I like crystals as much as the next guy. But mostly I just want CG to be transparent in their goals for the system and take a bit of effort to shut down the guesswork and misinformation that happens when an opaque system stops working how they said they wanted it to.

• Options

Why are you arguing with people over whether they think it's an issue or not? Just because you think it's a legitimate concern doesn't mean it is legitimate. Doesn't matter if you try to passively insult people calling them complacent/making complacency into some terrible monster that CG is going to exploit; the legitimacy of the issue is an opinion.

The changes made to crystal payout have generally benefited the player base. While some who finished first every day in less than 5 battles might see a decline in crystal income, that percentage of the player base is dwarfed by the total number of players. If you'd like to refute that, think about the total number of arena shards versus active accounts; I would be willing to bet one number is much larger than the other.

Lets not forgot the multitude of complaints about shard mafias and how some people were taking top 5 every day even if they were behind the meta curve just due to being in shard chat. That means there were people who, arguably, were obtaining more crystals than they should have due to their roster choices and resource management. That also means there were people who, arguably, weren't obtaining as many crystals as they should have even if they stayed current with the meta.

We can also go over Bus. Was that the best roster or the person who knew the game the best? No. It was someone who understood how to manipulate matchmaking. So now we have a skills based system that also incentivizes building an account out. And if K1 keeps shrinking, that means the players in K1 either got lucky, spent enough resources to not need as much luck, are flat out better at PvP, or some combination of the three. It's almost like there were complaints that GAC was supposed to determine who the best player was, not who could game the system the best or "spend the most", and that's what is being worked towards...

CG stated from the beginning there would be squish; that hasn't changed. CG stated they were going to take steps to incentivize building your account out instead of keeping your account focused; that's happening. Don't want to keep up with the meta? Ok, but your crystal income is likely going to suffer because of that. Don't want to engage with conquest or datacrons? Ok, but your crystal income is likely going to suffer. Want to boycott 3v3 because you hate it? Alright, but you're going to lose out on crystals. It's not just about being in a group chat anymore.

Squish and player displacement will drive competition, strategy, and roster building. Almost like complacent players are the ones who stand the most to lose from squish, and those that continue to build their accounts out get rewarded.... Weird how that works.
  • Options
    Drim wrote: »
    Is your argument theres 1,300 people in k1 and if your in k2 you should be pushed out if you don’t have 20 DC9? Please educate me. People seriously don’t understand how to actually formulate an argument on this site. Am I the 1st to point out the K2 push out? So basically everyone is super ok with CG business model cash only no actual gaming for fun experience?

I have 5 gls and don't have 20 dc9s and I'm in the upper tier of k2.

You just need to play better.
  • Profit
    282 posts Member
    Options

Why are you arguing with people over whether they think it's an issue or not? Just because you think it's a legitimate concern doesn't mean it is legitimate. Doesn't matter if you try to passively insult people calling them complacent/making complacency into some terrible monster that CG is going to exploit; the legitimacy of the issue is an opinion.

(Long strawman text removed)

Squish and player displacement will drive competition, strategy, and roster building. Almost like complacent players are the ones who stand the most to lose from squish, and those that continue to build their accounts out get rewarded.... Weird how that works.

Seriously? Read your own paragraphs flanking that long strawman in the middle.

• Options

You are "earning more crystals" than squad arena days, maybe. But that was 18 months or so ago. You will earn about 1k fewer crystals this month vs last month, if you drop from K1 to K2. It is a real amount, and a drop from last month is a lot more meaningful than an increase from Dec 2021.
  • TVF
    36630 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

You are "earning more crystals" than squad arena days, maybe. But that was 18 months or so ago. You will earn about 1k fewer crystals this month vs last month, if you drop from K1 to K2. It is a real amount, and a drop from last month is a lot more meaningful than an increase from Dec 2021.

Then why do my total crystals keep going up despite having been squished out of K1?

A 1k drop now is not a lot more meaningful than the much larger gain I got before this happened. In fact it's the opposite.