Is buying shards from shipments worth it?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    CPMP wrote: »
    jomamaphat wrote: »
    LaLiam wrote: »
    You spend 50 gems on a 1/3 droprate and get 1 shard.

It doesnt take a genius to work out it's the same as a refresh.

Hey genius. You also get gear, droids, credits and xp.
    Of those only xp is worth anything but you need to also spend energy to get the xp. Everything else is worthless and credits are marginal

Hard to say gear is worthless, while you need 50 of some pieces and on multiple heroes.
    In the long run, farming hard nodes, is much more rewarding than rushing to lvl a hero (shards from shipments + gear up fast from normal missions)

I was referring to hard nodes like rg and rey. EA is smart enough not to give you good gear from these nodes
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Starjumper wrote: »
    @Waqui
    This - plus a hard node refresh guarantees you nothing.

Which I indicated by the "(random)" in my reply.
    Also, don't forget the exp reward.

It still doesn't change the essence of the reply:
    "Worth it? Depends on your stock of shards"
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!
    It's cheaper than refreshing hard nodes.

Both cost 50 per shard. The hard node forces you to spend your energy sub optimally So if you do not want the gear in that node it costs you 50 crystals plus energy. So shipments are a better deal.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!

.... What? ... This wasn't your brightest moment.

You farm 3 nodes, you get 1-2 shards then 150 gems for 3 is a better value... I have literally hundreds of the gear abailable at Rey's nodes. Nobody farms Empire Stormtrooper for the gear, droids and credits.

XP yes, but I would have thought the 60 you get isn't worth 50 gems. Well done though *slow clap*
    {RotE}
  • zerizut
    425 posts Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!
    K8iU8j0.jpg
  • Options
    Of course it's worth it!
    Originally I said no, but after farming RG for what felt like forever, I started buying his shards when they show up. if I have to spend $20 in crystal purchase to support this, so be it. Anything to minimize that RG farming pain.
    [LWI] | 298-352-583
  • Duckoo
    279 posts Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!
    I view these the same way of refreshing a hard node. Except, the extra shards are guaranteed. So though you can get a full energy that will give you attempts on hard nodes, it takes 50 crystal to refresh those hard nodes. Instead of refreshing I buy these as these are guaranteed. Bumps up my shard collection.
  • Predian
    615 posts Member
    Options
    Only you can decide what is worthwhile for you. It's 50 crystals for a shard. What are you choosing between? If it's a character you absolutely want, it's a better value than playing Chromium Roulette. If they are crystals you don't need for refreshes, then it starts to make some sense. But it all comes down to the trade offs. I wouldn't choose shipment shards over a cantina refresh, for example.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Appreciate the robust discussion and opinions.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Options
    Nope, nope, nope.

You farm 3 nodes, you get 1-2 shards then 150 gems for 3 is a better value... I have literally hundreds of the gear abailable at Rey's nodes. Nobody farms Empire Stormtrooper for the gear, droids and credits.

XP yes, but I would have thought the 60 you get isn't worth 50 gems. Well done though *slow clap*

Who said anything about Rey? Today is Rey, tomorrow is Anakin. Spending excess crystals to energy refresh is superior to buying from shipments. By buying 2 shards of Rey for example, you are sacrificing 120 or 240 energy, a lot ally points, credits, gear (not just rey nodes gear), other hero shards, xp, droids. So when the meta changes, or another hero becomes OP, you have sacrificed a lot, just to acquire 1 hero faster.
    For example with new balance patch, if Rey becomes nerfed and Anakin becomes OP, what you gonna do? Start buying Anakin shards from shipments at the cost of other heroes again? Or cry for a refund about Rey?
    Let's see who's brightest moment is gonna be then...
  • Options
    Nope, nope, nope.
    Right now, when I'm leveling to 80 and the crystals could be used on energy refreshes. No. Once I hit 80 then it'll be worth it for a few toons
  • Zemyn
    106 posts Member
    Options
    Nope, nope, nope.
    Only if it was Vader. He never shows up though.
  • SaintEaters
    412 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nope, nope, nope.
    NO MATTER WHAT, IT IS NEVER WORTH IT!

It cost 150 crystal for 3 shards. With 150 crystal you can get 2 1/2 FULL ENERGY RESERVES! So what if it takes you 1-2 extra days to farm the toon, you've probably already spent weeks to months worth of time farming already so an extra day or two isn't much. With 150 crystal you can complete anywhere from 13-30 hard node battles for shards, and I bet you will get more than 3 shards in those. Use the crystals on energy and don't be impulsive and you'll have more shards, gear, experience, and credits in exchange for a 2-3 day max wait period on that toon. If you're at lvl 80 already then farm gear for other toons with it. Patience is the key. I learned this the hard way.

GL
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    It's situational. Good to round up odd numbers, especially for cantina shipment characters as it can save you a day of farming. Good to ocassionally speed up hard node chars. Otherwise pretty much worthless.
  • Options
    Of course it's worth it!
    I buy the ones I want. They are guaranteed. Unlike refreshes. Which might go your way or you'll spend 200 or more for jack squat.
  • Options
    Do it only for toon that hard to get due to only have one hard node (like ewok scout and elder before the udate) or multi hard node but expensive like anakin and fotp

Ditto
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!

Who said anything about Rey? Today is Rey, tomorrow is Anakin. Spending excess crystals to energy refresh is superior to buying from shipments. By buying 2 shards of Rey for example, you are sacrificing 120 or 240 energy, a lot ally points, credits, gear (not just rey nodes gear), other hero shards, xp, droids. So when the meta changes, or another hero becomes OP, you have sacrificed a lot, just to acquire 1 hero faster.
    For example with new balance patch, if Rey becomes nerfed and Anakin becomes OP, what you gonna do? Start buying Anakin shards from shipments at the cost of other heroes again? Or cry for a refund about Rey?

If you buy a refresh for 50 gems, you are unlocking the opportunity to get 3 more shards at a 1/3 droprate, that doesn't include the energy to actually do the battles.

So if you buy 3 refreshes at 50 gems, you will likely have to buy 2 energy refreshes, let's count, 50+50+50+50+50, what does that equal? Interesting, for 3 shards you're paying insert answer here gems, but in the shipments you pay 150 for 3 shards.

If you truly believe that 150 gems is too much for 3 shards, any character (because apparently farming Rey is a bad thing(?)); then it's likely you've never considering seriously farming the hard nodes.

Also, "For example with new balance patch, if Rey becomes nerfed and Anakin becomes OP, what you gonna do? Start buying Anakin shards from shipments at the cost of other heroes again? Or cry for a refund about Rey? " - was this entire paragraph just a rant at the balance update rather than extending your point with a valid example? I feel you are getting upset. Sit down. Have a drink. Spend some time with your partner.
    {RotE}
  • Options
    Waz675 wrote: »
    It depends, on a few factors

This... (If you're talking about the normal shipment where there are 3 shards for 150 crystals). I do on the chars that I cannot farm as much as I would want to, but don't buy them for Jedi Consular or other easily obtainable shards.
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nope, nope, nope.

If you buy a refresh for 50 gems, you are unlocking the opportunity to get 3 more shards at a 1/3 droprate, that doesn't include the energy to actually do the battles.

So if you buy 3 refreshes at 50 gems, you will likely have to buy 2 energy refreshes, let's count, 50+50+50+50+50, what does that equal? Interesting, for 3 shards you're paying insert answer here gems, but in the shipments you pay 150 for 3 shards.

If you truly believe that 150 gems is too much for 3 shards, any character (because apparently farming Rey is a bad thing(?)); then it's likely you've never considering seriously farming the hard nodes.

Also, "For example with new balance patch, if Rey becomes nerfed and Anakin becomes OP, what you gonna do? Start buying Anakin shards from shipments at the cost of other heroes again? Or cry for a refund about Rey? " - was this entire paragraph just a rant at the balance update rather than extending your point with a valid example? I feel you are getting upset. Sit down. Have a drink. Spend some time with your partner.

Where have i mentioned hard mode reset? I consider hard mode reset an even bigger waste of crystals... Do you even read before you post? Rant at balance update? LOL, i was even asking devs to bring this patch 1 month earier...
    Are you for real?
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    Depends on what "worth it" means to you. I occasionally purchase some shards for a hard-to-get hero, or if I've nearly completed them, or sometimes when I have a lot of crystals lying around.
    But most of the time I pass and use crystals for energy instead (usually Cantina energy unless I'm heavily farming for gear).
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!

Where have i mentioned hard mode reset? I consider hard mode reset an even bigger waste of crystals... Do you even read before you post? Rant at balance update? LOL, i was even asking devs to bring this patch 1 month earier...
    Are you for real?

Well there you go, my point proven, if you dont refresh then dont buy in shipments.

If you do refresh the value is there, I gave you to much credit regarding how many gems you have available to farm properly.
    {RotE}
  • Options
    only worth it for hard node characters IMO and of course vader
  • Options
    I like to farm slowly and work on various toons. The only time I specifically farmed someone was when Yoda was 1st announced. I don't refresh nodes normally and buy shipments only if I just need a few shards more. I do refresh energy a lot. I have never consciously farmed the meta, so no GS and RG only at 5 stars, Rey at 6, QGJ 7 for Yoda. Luckily, the meta has been kind to my roster lately. Phasma, Dooku etc. Farming FOST, Lando, Ima and Magma among others, hope my luck continues.

Didn't vote either way because I'm obviously not the target voter, stated the above just for a different perspective.
  • rainpro
    76 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Of course it's worth it!
    You're not just getting guaranteed shards when you buy them like that. You're also saving the energy associated with farming them up. I refresh hard nodes daily for characters I'm farming up. The cost is 50-100-100-100-100-200-etc. It gets costly spending crystals to get energy for that many hard node attempts. Being able to get guaranteed shards is a blessing but just like anything else in this game, it's what it's worth to you. That's all that matters.
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    Options
    Value is relative. When I was farming RG, Rey, and FOTP, I refreshed and bought shards. After I got them viable, I stopped. It wasn't worth the extra cost, because I was already enjoying playing the game with them. Also, I didn't know whether or not they would be any good after this upcoming update. Uncertainty decreases value.

I still refresh and buy shards for EE, because he's awesome and hard to farm.

• Options
    jomamaphat wrote: »

Of those only xp is worth anything but you need to also spend energy to get the xp. Everything else is worthless and credits are marginal

Hard to say gear is worthless, while you need 50 of some pieces and on multiple heroes.
    In the long run, farming hard nodes, is much more rewarding than rushing to lvl a hero (shards from shipments + gear up fast from normal missions)

You can spend the 150 for the guaranteed shards and use your energy to farm other nodes for about half the price for the gears you want. Having said that I do like farming fotp due to the shards and gears