Do you like datacrons?

Replies

• Options
    Is anyone else seriously annoyed with the seemingly arbitrary ordering of the in the inventory, and the complete lack of left/right arrows once you select one? Possibly the worst piece of UI design in the game.

Agree. The DataCron UI is abysmal compared to the rest of the game, and the rest of the game isn't always great. Why ditch next/previous arrows for Datacrons only when they're available in all other aspects of inventory? It makes DC modification and planning much more of a headache than it needs to be.
  • Options
    There is a lot to not like about dcs and the more you care/need the rewards from gac/tw the more frustrating they are. As someone who doesn’t really care, I don’t mind engaging in dcs especially after the addition of simming. It does help break up the monotony of gac.

I personally dislike the dcs that boost teams to extreme heights on defense. It’s one thing to “shake up the meta” it’s another to do it where your best dcs annoy your opponent and theirs annoy you. If they were purely offensive and meant to boost teams to be equal/better than traditionally more powerful squads, I might actually like them.

• Options
    This game was exceptionally stale prior to datacrons coming out. In GAC the fights were the same, week in and week out. There was no variance, no changes, just "do you have this team" then "are your mods good enough to do what it should?" That was it. Every board was the same, every fight was the same, nothing changed. New units might mix it up slightly, but with that method you would merely shift one team out and add one new team with the other 12 fights remaining the exact same

With datacrons that all changed drastically. Suddenly with a high defense cron or a good level 9 a team that you would leave on the bench usually could become a defensive or offensive powerhouse. The gameplay shook up very drastically when datacrons were factored into the equation

So if you were a person who liked theory crafting or were really into trying different things, datacrons were a godsend. If on the other hand you were a "going through the motions" player, as in you just liked doing the same thing over and over again like an MMO player, then you likely didn't like datacrons at all. Also if you were more of a mid or early game player then datacrons might throw a massive wrench in to your gameplay. In that case you might not be high enough to farm them appropriately or at all, which means if you're facing someone who could then you were at a bigger disadvantage than without them

Overall I think for those of us at the top who have been playing for years and years datacrons were a great addition to the game which reinvigorated it in a lot of ways. You can complain about how long they are active or how they are farmed, but ultimately overall I think they are great. I really don't spend much money in this game but I get plenty of datacrons thanks to the way Conquest is designed now. Early on it wasn't that easy, and the people who spent had a much easier time getting them. I believe they've definitely fixed that now as like I said, I get plenty of them without spending cash

I accept (though disagree with) your affinity for DCs. However, I do not accept your take on the state of K1 GAC before DCs came out. Unless you are referring to the times before GAC 2.0, in which case I fail to see the relevance. Or unless I misread your definition of "at the top". My K1 experience from Dec 21 thru Jun 22 was nothing like you described in your post.
  • Fieldgulls
    424 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Datacrons was a very poor attempt at shaking up PvP….CG thought it was a quick way to monetize the game mode even further instead of coming out with something more exciting. The fact these are still being pushed shows they make money on them…crazy to think because DC’s are awful. I feel bad for folks who spend money on them…as in the long run they don’t help and also go away.
    Post edited by Fieldgulls on
  • Options
    Nope.
  • scuba
    14074 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    @Nothingface
    I actually prefer these sets: good, meaningful character/faction bonuses with barely noticeable stats. The opposite is much more annoying.

I can see why the opposite would be much more annoying, but just for curiosity's sake, do you think that a single accuracy stat instead of splitting that stat into two would have unbalanced the crons enough to make them annoying again?

Stat boost should never be sperated out like that, heck the stats themselves should be seperated out since they mostly went away from what looks like the orginial intention of having them seperate.

Please clarify. I have no idea what you just said.

There should not be physical/special damage and armor/resistance in data cron boosts or even with the unit stats.
    Should just be offense and defense. No reason to have multiples.

Original units, release the intention appeared to be physical for basic attacks and special for special attacks. Then they went away from all this and now units are all physical or special offense/defense. Just dumb.
  • Options
    Chumposaur wrote: »
    Is anyone else seriously annoyed with the seemingly arbitrary ordering of the in the inventory, and the complete lack of left/right arrows once you select one? Possibly the worst piece of UI design in the game.

them

Yes, that bit of the UI is like they got started on it and called away to another task.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Options
    I like the idea. The way to change the meta def off teams every so often. As a mediocre DC user i still add value to them but im not going to complain about them, they arent leaving the game so i just utilise best i can. Will i lose sleep over 2% special accuracy...naw.
  • Options
    I enjoy DCs. They give me an alternate way to build my roster and avoid going through the typical farming path. Even with rotations, they will eventually rotate back. The stats I think would be much more interesting if they couldn't affect the already powerful teams, but the abilities are cool regardless. Giving the abilities to the GL teams though didn't sit right with me. I'm just now getting into kyber though so I'm not dealing with lots of high stat DCs on my opponent's side.

I try and get as many of the lv9s that my roster can use or will use in the duration of the set when I'm farming them because using the extra abilities is very fun for me. I wish there was somewhere else to use them where I could control more what I fight against instead of the same old teams in squad arena or GAC where the power variance is so severe between teams. I did not engage in them at all until they dropped the relic requirements either, that made it much more accessible for me to farm them.

tldr:
    Abilities are sick, stats are great for lifting bad teams but unfortunately lift the great teams too much.
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't know anyone who likes datacrons.
    In my opinion are biggest mistake of this mobile game

I actually like them. They are easily farmable out of conquest and give you a huge advantage. I’m not sure why so many people hate them. They’ve also taken a lot of the RNG out of them recently.
  • Options
    Olddumper wrote: »

I actually like them. They are easily farmable out of conquest and give you a huge advantage. I’m not sure why so many people hate them. They’ve also taken a lot of the RNG out of them recently.

Yeah not caring about the stats makes it much easier to get more level 9s. Usually I'd have to worry about hitting good stats up until the lv6 but now it's just proper factions.
  • Options
    Ugh. Conquest.
  • Options

Not sure whose head is buried deeper in sand--the guy who "doesn't know anyone who likes [them]" or the guy who doesn't understand why "so many people hate them."
  • Options
    I’m not sure why so many people hate them.

So, you’re in a forum thread entitled “do you like datacrons”, and there are multiple responses of the “no” category which do a very fair job of explaining why.

Have you considered reading these responses?
  • Options
    Like the idea, but don’t like how they’ve been implemented and handled.
  • Options
    Yes. They are free to use or ignore.
  • KingOfLosing
    454 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Haven’t dropped a penny on them and still float in low K2 at 8.3m GP, they fact they lowered the level 9 relic requirement to R5 helps a ton and makes each set obtainable with little to no money spent which is how it should be
  • Options
    I didn’t have a strong opinion one way or another when they were released. I didn’t interact with the, enough to care one way or another. Now I farm about 10 level 8-9’s over the course of a set. I’m only in Aurodium so my opponents usually only have 1-2 max. It’s a nice advantage. Nice I climb into Kyber next season I’ll see how I feel about them.
  • Options
    Absolutely hate them! I hate that I have to partially reinvent GAC every single time it comes around... and I hate that I have to put resources into farming and levelling them, when I could use those resources for other stuff.

Datacrons are temporary mods on steroids. And if you don't engage in them, you won't be doing much in either GAC or TW - so you're kind of forced to engage.
  • Options
    i love them when i use them and get a little extra stats. but I hate them when my opponent had lv 9 datacrons on every team with perfect stats and abilities

while I do like how they help some teams I still mostly hate them, mainly from how the just make annoying teams (like GLs) so much worse to fight
  • Options
    Nope, hate them.
  • Options
    As someone who uses them on his GL's (like everyone else), I don't like them for GL use. I wouldn't mind if GL's were excluded, and properly rolled dc's could elevate the play of good squads that previously got peepee slapped into not being able to counter GL's anymore. The LV cron however long ago was just awful to go against. The current set 12 is very very slim pickins who can use it, and I really only have it for the basic on lvl3, the Scoundrel yeet, and the Boushh cron, but I just got that one.

Set 11 was fun to see how much defense I could get, and once I learned how to roll them properly, I got what I wanted, and it elevated my not great Rey/Ben to counter better Rey/Ben teams. Still, I think they should be for non-GL's only, especially if CG is going to nerf creative ways to counter a GL and squash any critical thinking.

Oh, yeah, I'll raise my hand for the UI is AWFUL crowd too. Like, it's really not good.
  • Options
    Don't like them. Horrible the way no real management tools have been added so we can see more Datacron info when looking at our list of Datacrons. ONE Datacron can make it almost impossible to beat a squad unless the opponent has the ONE Datacron that counters their one...Tickets bad, Datacrons worse. What's next? We have mods, Omicrons, Datacrons, R9...maybe Dataomicrons :)
  • Options
    Absolutely not. Datacrons made several of my High GP friends quit. Heck, they made me take a break and come back to play GAC at a lower level where they aren’t found. I think they are the worst thing SWGoH has done, which says a lot.
  • Options
    I do not like them
  • Options
    I like the idea of datacrons. I don't care for the implementation of them though. If they were no stats / just cool abilities to change up the meta that would be ideal
  • Options

The best way to have a good team without good mods but it's a damnation when you have worked one year on your mods to loose against a level 9 for a marquee.
  • Options
    Tldr
    No I don't like datacrons
  • Options
    If DC didn't exist I probably would have left the game. Yes the original implementation of it destroyed my guild that was consistently top 5 in tw (rip order 66:41st), but without it, I'm with the other posters that said pvp was too stale. The shift to 2 sets and lowering of the requirements made it much easier to manage, and playing the shop to refresh every 6hrs instead of 7d has made it incredibly ftp friendly. I don't spend any money on them, (I do 6x conquest refreshes, but haven't bought any crystals since profundity 7* unlock and currently have over 20k in the bank) and have over 30 lvl 9 crons
  • Options
    I hate them!