What do you do when a player is bullying you?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    EdSolo wrote: »
    Lumiya wrote: »
    My guess is that there is already a mafia on your shard, and you have been labeled as an "enemy" and will be booted out the top 20 whenever you get there.

If the same player is attacking you as his/her max jump, you really can't complain. If they are attacking you to gain one or two spaces, then they are most likely part of a shard mafia.

Your best bet is finding the shard discord and applying for membership. Track who is gaining the number one spot and reach out to them about joining.

OP wrote that it is only 1 player and there is already a chat which OP is part of.

Then this is probably the work of an outsider who has got an axe to grind. You see it on arena shards all the time. These people fixate on one opponent and will spend endless amounts of crystals on refreshes just to hit someone.

The axe to grind by the outsider is most likely the result of a shard chat excluding that individual from a certain ranking. My advice, its a video game - entertainment. it not worth getting upset over.
  • Rius
    388 posts Member
    Options
    Change your payout hour?

There is nothing illegal about beating down your competition when they are about to be rewarded.

In some cases it may even be a valid strategy.

Whilst there is nothing illegal it’s not a good strategy and I doubt it could even be considered a strategy. After your PO has zero benefit, as you have already had your reward for the day. It’s just nasty behaviour to spite other players or a stupid obsession to sit in rank 1. In an active shard no matter how many attacks you waste you will not be in rank 1 24 hours later for the next PO. Usually there is a limit you drop to determined by activity and extra battles to resist dropping rarely impact on this as other players at a later time will move through you in top ten.

This just annoys others trying to get their own PO. In shards we still just want a straightforward climb and usually climb just in our PO hour or maybe a little before if you know who to avoid. I don’t care to make anyone else’s climb more difficult and non of my shard mates do either.

But if you target the PO of players you are more likely to attract attention, doing this to other players could result in them preferentially going through you so you end up doing more battles, keeping meta ships out at rank 1 to prevent you getting max rewards, and annoy a shard enough they may even chain attacks before your PO to drop you outside further to impact your PO more.

My advice to OP is if they fail to respond first check a potential language barrier, but some just like to be annoying as illogical as it is. None of the above prevented our problematic swipes. But I would still go through them to at least get them out of top 5 so it is easier to see if they start climbing in your PO to swipe you. If they are outside of top 5 whilst you are at rank 1 it is obvious if they move into top 5 they are going for the swipe. Then if it’s prolific I would try to save a battle each day to enter 6 min before PO, even if you are in rank 1. This way they can not engage you in battle if you just waiting to time out. I get sometimes you may not have the battle to spare or the time to babysit PO but this was the most effective prevention for me. Sometimes if I am low on battles I wait to go to rank 1 until just before my PO to limit time for them to swipe.
  • EdSolo
    422 posts Member
    Options
    We currently have a guy on our shard who purchased an old account from someone who was in our group. He got his Levi and started going on a tare through the shard. He gets attacked back and then goes after a specific target. He only has a 6* levi, so he targets a guy who runs a Thrawn levi counter. The guy has one of the generic names. The guy with the 6* Levi then changes to the same Thrawn fleet, changes his name to match the generic named guy, and changes his portrait and title to match the generic named guy. He now regularly attacks the guy on his climb, which is many hours after his payout. Some people on these arena shards are just completely nuts.
  • Nameisunavailable
    49 posts Member
    edited May 15
    Options
    I target the same ships each day to rank back up and I have no idea who they are. I've been playing 8 years and my attack times are random. This isn't planned and I attack them for being easy targets though out the day. I've never used a chat, never even looked into shard groups at all, nothing is planned, even when its around payouts.

My point here is, don't blame someone for being a bullying when they could just be playing the game. Now, If you joined a chat group and made someone mad, that's a different story but then that would have been instigated. Would be nice to hear from the other player so we get the full story.
    Post edited by Nameisunavailable on
  • Lumiya
    1582 posts Member
    Options
    We currently have a guy on our shard who purchased an old account from someone who was in our group. He got his Levi and started going on a tare through the shard. He gets attacked back and then goes after a specific target. He only has a 6* levi, so he targets a guy who runs a Thrawn levi counter. The guy has one of the generic names. The guy with the 6* Levi then changes to the same Thrawn fleet, changes his name to match the generic named guy, and changes his portrait and title to match the generic named guy. He now regularly attacks the guy on his climb, which is many hours after his payout. Some people on these arena shards are just completely nuts.

Oh boy... Just imagine how many crystals they spend just to change their name back and forth and on top of that maybe even the refreshes. Is it even worth it then? A name change is 200 so if they change their name and then back that's already the 400 from 1st place.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • RoyKent
    45 posts Member
    Options
    I had people hitting me on my payout, so I switched focus and got Executor. People started getting Executors and Profundities, so I switched focus and got Leviathan. I swapped out after my payout for other people, and started dropping down as far as 20-30. I stopped swapping and just swapped to an easier Leviathan line up. When they eventually start dropping me too far again, I’ll max out Leviathan if what’s next hasn’t come out. Discords and stuff are nice, and messaging other players can definitely solve issues a lot of the time, but in the end, you can only really rely on what YOU do.
  • crzydroid
    7382 posts Moderator
    Options

Well, if they get that annoying, you can try reporting the ally code (just be sure it isn't the targeted guy!) since buying accounts is technically against the ToS.
  • MasterSeedy
    5197 posts Member
    Options
    Different people collect their rewards at different times. Because there are 24 time zones, you can have 24 different people each take the full 400 crystals for 1st place in the same day, as long as everyone hits during their hour.

It takes nothing from you if someone else from a different time zone takes first, but it takes something from other people if you're attacking them when it's not closer to your payout.

Many people like hitting only in the hour that leads up to rewards. If they do hit someone else also trying to climb for max rewards it's only because they share the same payout hour and they can figure that out themselves, but it's a fair fight since both people have potential consequences.

Other people have things going on in their lives but they keep it close to the payout time, say the last 2 or 3 hours. This makes your attacks more predictable to other players and is a compromise if you're busy during your payout hour.

Other people don't know or care about how the game works, and they attack randomly. This ends up hurting the people without helping themselves rewards-wise. (You still have fun if you like fleet battles, but your highest position during the day isn't what earns you crystals, it's your exact position at your payout time.) It's not strategic and doesn't help the player, but it's not necessarily malicious. It's just careless and ignorant (in the non-judgemental sense of just not happening to know).

Finally there are people who, for whatever reason, enjoy attacking others to deny them rewards even more than they like gaining rewards for themselves. This can be very costly in terms of crystals depending on how committed they are to this activity.

The OP was asking how to deal with bullies. They weren't asking how to deal with people ignorant of how payouts and fleet climbs work. You've said that people here are hating on others who just don't know how the game works.

That's not true.

There are many different ways to approach fleet payouts. Some show more respect and care for others. Some shore an ignorance of what's happening around them. Some show an enjoyment in making the game harder and less rewarding for others. It's only the last that we're critiquing.

Now you know.
  • Options
    I don't think what the OP describes constitutes bullying,
  • herd_nerfer
    2089 posts Member
    Options
    rickertron wrote: »
    I don't think what the OP describes constitutes bullying,

Strictly speaking, it's not, given the competitive nature of arena. That being said, the community seems to be pretty well split between those that want to cooperate to maximize rewards and those that just don't care or feel the game mode is 1 vs ALL. Those two mindsets are in conflict, and anyone desiring cooperation is bound to feel some kinda way about dealing with those who who don't.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Rebuc
    95 posts Member
    Options
    1. It's a game, you have zero input and influence on how someone else plays.
    2. Attacking others is part of the game. If you don't like how someone else plays the game, that's your issue, not theirs. It's not cheating, bullying, griefing, or anything else...just simple gameplay.
    3. See #1

If you wanted to challenge anything in the game, it could be argued it's actually more unfair to organize outside of the game to attempt to control certain aspects of the game with the intent of only allowing certain individuals to reach higher payouts. But since there's no actual rule against it, and we have guilds as part of the game - designed to (shocker) organize people when playing against others - it is indeed fair game to play like that...and fun!!

Organized = fair
    Lone wolf = fair
    Attack with a plan to reach a certain goal for yourself = fair
    Attack to prevent a specific other player from reaching a certain goal = also fair

Again, see #1

You don't have to like it, in fact you have the choice to participate in any of the different aspects of the game...or not. See #1

Having said all that, I do want to say that I don't really play like that myself. It's too much work to try and time it just perfect to make sure that one player never get's whatever or anything. It's a game, and I really don't care that much or have the time to focus on it like that. There's been a few times I've fought to the last minute to take first in arena, literally just so I could get a screenshot for posterity, and it was an extreme amount of fun those few days I spent trying for it and swapping spots with the same few people over and over. But there was no malice, or harassment on those players...or on me from them. We were just playing the game, playing an aspect of the game where you play against another person.

See #1
  • herd_nerfer
    2089 posts Member
    Options
    Rebuc wrote: »
    2. Attacking others is part of the game. If you don't like how someone else plays the game, that's your issue, not theirs. It's not cheating, bullying, griefing, or anything else...just simple gameplay.
    3. See #1

If you wanted to challenge anything in the game, it could be argued it's actually more unfair to organize outside of the game to attempt to control certain aspects of the game with the intent of only allowing certain individuals to reach higher payouts. But since there's no actual rule against it, and we have guilds as part of the game - designed to (shocker) organize people when playing against others - it is indeed fair game to play like that...and fun!!

Organized = fair
    Lone wolf = fair
    Attack to prevent a specific other player from reaching a certain goal = also fair

Again, see #1

You don't have to like it, in fact you have the choice to participate in any of the different aspects of the game...or not. See #1

Having said all that, I do want to say that I don't really play like that myself. It's too much work to try and time it just perfect to make sure that one player never get's whatever or anything. It's a game, and I really don't care that much or have the time to focus on it like that. There's been a few times I've fought to the last minute to take first in arena, literally just so I could get a screenshot for posterity, and it was an extreme amount of fun those few days I spent trying for it and swapping spots with the same few people over and over. But there was no malice, or harassment on those players...or on me from them. We were just playing the game, playing an aspect of the game where you play against another person.

See #1

But if you're the person that's targeting someone else and preventing them from climbing (See #1) then you do in fact have input and influence over how someone else plays.
  • Rebuc
    95 posts Member
    Options
    3. See #1

Organized = fair
    Lone wolf = fair

Again, see #1

See #1

But if you're the person that's targeting someone else and preventing them from climbing (See #1) then you do in fact have input and influence over how someone else plays.

Nice straw man argument :)

Playing against someone, as in targeting them using the game mechanics of...well...how the game is played (because that's how arena works, you have to select an opponent and then try to beat them, sometimes often), is not influencing them or having any input to "how" they play...in the least bit. You don't control them, you're playing your game only. How they react is on them, not you. I have zero input on your game, only my own. I have zero influence on anything you choose to do as a result of how the game works. I play, you play, that's literally it.
  • herd_nerfer
    2089 posts Member
    edited May 17
    Options
    3. See #1

Organized = fair
    Lone wolf = fair

Again, see #1

See #1

Nice straw man argument :)

Playing against someone, as in targeting them using the game mechanics of...well...how the game is played (because that's how arena works, you have to select an opponent and then try to beat them, sometimes often), is not influencing them or having any input to "how" they play...in the least bit. You don't control them, you're playing your game only. How they react is on them, not you. I have zero input on your game, only my own. I have zero influence on anything you choose to do as a result of how the game works. I play, you play, that's literally it.

Calling it a straw man doesn't make it so.

Defend that behavior all you want - but your "#1" that you keep referencing is a demonstrably false statement. When you're capable of actively denying a player movement on the leaderboard (and for no gain other than your own amusement - or worse - outright malice), that certainly fits the definition of "influence".
  • Options
    @Rebuc

That's actually not true. The two arenas are the few areas where someone else can control the ability of another player to play. You are locked out from Arena attempts while someone else is attacking you.

You can try to minimize this or dismiss its importance, but that's just fact.
  • Deathbringer59
    618 posts Member
    edited May 17
    Options
    This has been an ongoing debate since arena shard chats were started long ago. I can see the problems from both sides. My squad arena chat was pretty nice, had about 40 people in there coordinating to not interrupt payouts. My fleet arena I wasn't allowed in, that was 2 years ago and many of then have retired allowing me to climb. No idea if that fleet chat is ongoing or not
  • Options
    Laugh at their fragile ego?