0% Potency?

Algren
306 posts Member
I've recently put lobot into my team because he lets ig88 go before poe with his leadership boost, thus i had HOPED when facing another droid team i could use the 55% ability block chance with his AOE to block their Poe's taunt and mine would then go first 75% of the time (50% when i block and then 50% of the other 50% by chance). Trying this for 5 attacks i was successful 0/5 times, so had a look at the stats. 88s potency (increases the chance to apply detrimental effects) is 0%. So he has a 55% chance of ability blocking, but that just means 55% chance of it procing and then it has to pass a resistance check which it can't if the opponent has any real level of tenacity?

I have seen him apply it so he must be able to somehow. I notice potency is "INCREASES the chance", but what is the base chance before that then?

I suppose what I'm asking is, how do you work out the chance of a toon applying a detrimental effect? Because i always thought it was just what it said in the description, (here 55%) which it clearly isn't. Ie. what is the chance of IG88 with 0% potency applying an effect on Poe with say 40% tenancity? Or are we expected to guess these based on experience as we are shard and gear drop rates? I am completely lost in the mechanics of this game, any insights speculation or fact would help thanks.

Replies

• Algren
    306 posts Member
    Options
    Or, is 55% actually the base chance, and potency adds on to that? So his chance is still 55%. The resistance then being up to the tenacity of the defending toon, in this case 40%? Although tenacity again is quoted as "INCREASES the chance to ward off detrimental effects", so what is the base value of chance to ward off detrimental effects for a toon?

I'm so bloody lost its not even funny.
  • Djbz
    251 posts Member
    Options
    Ok I believe it works like this;
    (Attack's % of effect) + character's Potency) - enemy tenacity = % chance of effect being inflicted.

• Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    No one knows for sure, but testing from previous forum posts have determined it's more likely the 55% chance to apply comes before potency.

1. You make your attack
    2. Check 55% chance to apply debuff
    3. If 55% passes, check potency vs tenacity to see if debuff is resisted

I know @Djbz 's post may be what other people have done, but numerous tests show too low of a proc rate to be effect + potency.

Still, we never have a clear answer so it could be either one. Devs have yet to comment
  • Djbz
    251 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Toukai wrote: »
    No one knows for sure, but testing from previous forum posts have determined it's more likely the 55% chance to apply comes before potency.

1. You make your attack
    2. Check 55% chance to apply debuff
    3. If 55% passes, check potency vs tenacity to see if debuff is resisted

I know @Djbz 's post may be what other people have done, but numerous tests show too low of a proc rate to be effect + potency.

Still, we never have a clear answer so it could be either one. Devs have yet to comment
    I'm not sure it could work that way as that would dip so many characters chances of debuffing into the negative
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    Options
    Algren wrote: »
    I've recently put lobot into my team because he lets ig88 go before poe with his leadership boost, thus i had HOPED when facing another droid team i could use the 55% ability block chance with his AOE to block their Poe's taunt and mine would then go first 75% of the time (50% when i block and then 50% of the other 50% by chance). Trying this for 5 attacks i was successful 0/5 times, so had a look at the stats. 88s potency (increases the chance to apply detrimental effects) is 0%. So he has a 55% chance of ability blocking, but that just means 55% chance of it procing and then it has to pass a resistance check which it can't if the opponent has any real level of tenacity?

I have seen him apply it so he must be able to somehow. I notice potency is "INCREASES the chance", but what is the base chance before that then?

I suppose what I'm asking is, how do you work out the chance of a toon applying a detrimental effect? Because i always thought it was just what it said in the description, (here 55%) which it clearly isn't. Ie. what is the chance of IG88 with 0% potency applying an effect on Poe with say 40% tenancity? Or are we expected to guess these based on experience as we are shard and gear drop rates? I am completely lost in the mechanics of this game, any insights speculation or fact would help thanks.

That is very frustrating, but Poe is also meant to dispel negative effects with his high tenacity. As far as 88 goes, he should have more than 0% listed potency.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Options
    benacrow wrote: »

That is very frustrating, but Poe is also meant to dispel negative effects with his high tenacity. As far as 88 goes, he should have more than 0% listed potency.

My ig88 at gear level 7 definitely says 0% potency.
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    Options
    Jaletc007 wrote: »
    benacrow wrote: »

My ig88 at gear level 7 definitely says 0% potency.

Mine does as well, but I meant more of a 'why doesn't he have more'. Sorry for the confusion.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind