I was really worried about Protection in GW.. here's my verdict after my first run (with tips!)

Prev1
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited April 2016
Easiest GW I have had in over a month.
I was shocked, honestly. "On paper" it should have been much harder. In practice, it was much easier.
Now I will admit that I may have gotten lucky (my enemies weren't quite as hard as I have had in the past) but I finished with like, 10 guys completely untouched and my A team at full health.
One great tip I read somewhere and followed was to start with a B team instead of my A team. The idea is that the B team is good enough to get through the first few nodes, and you save the A team's protection for later on.
Well, my B team took me into node 8 (!). The real revelation was RG. He is absolutely amazing in GW because of his stuns. Use him near the start, not the end. You don't want him to taunt ideally, you want to keep him healthy so his stun works. He and Daka kept opponent teams almost completely shut down. It was amazing.
I also started using JC for the first time.. I never needed or used him before except in a suicide team. He spammed heals to keep RG and others going.
Anyway... this is not to diminish any frustrations some of you may be having. It is just to encourage people to give it a shot. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Options
    Barris lead is very helpful in GW still. I used Barriss, Lumi, JC, QGJ, GS and didn't need to retreat.
  • Options
    I haven't restarted GW yet so, do the other teams have protection showing or is it like the challange were they increased the HP?
  • thecuriousocelot
    1030 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Interesting. I think you're onto something with RG. I only have one decent stunner (Daka - HRS and Luke aren't reliable) and suspect that's probably the reason why I found it so much harder than before. Still not impossible, but you have to think way more tactically now that you can't just rely on OHKO'ing 2 enemy toons before they attack. More than anything, today was actually really fun! :)
    Post edited by thecuriousocelot on
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I actually retreated less than I have in weeks.
    My A team is Barriss, Daka, Dooku, GS and Lumi. The B team I started with was Phasma, RG, Daka, IG-88 and JC (one overlap). I didn't even use my A team until node 9.
  • Narzis
    34 posts Member
    Options
    I think your team composition was very lucky for the new GW. With my current A team, it's a pain in the ***. I was able to finish it, but it takes too long time to do this every day, it took aroung 1,5-2 hours...no way.

With my B team (droid squad) I will loose my advantage if one or two of them die, after that point I my B team cant be really useful.
  • Options
    RG is definitely the mvp of the update for everything I've found, challenges, arena and gw
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @Reddplague - They have protection showing like in arena.
    @thecuriousocelot - Stunning falls into the category of "damage is better prevented than healed". Since it also prevents negative effects and special attacks. I've always relied on stuns by using Daka and Dooku. But RG will now anchor this B team of mine.
    Again, RG is better used early than late. If you can prevent him from taunting, he can stun for ages.
  • Options
    Try to finish it with only 6 7* chars. Ppl are talking team B, team C. Of course you can finish it, if you can't then everyone will uninstall straight away
  • DV_27
    967 posts Member
    Options
    I used my A team from the start but I liked it because of yoda. The rest are barriss as lead, lumi, qgj and Rey. The slightly longer battles means I got off yodas BM in every battle. Previously the cool down would never reset in time to allow me to do that so that was great
  • Options
    Qeltar, what does your RG look like right now? 'Cause mine sure wouldn't take me through GW with only 4* gear VI and no way to go into gear VII within a couple of days. :/
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • slampdx
    478 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I was shocked, honestly. "On paper" it should have been much harder. In practice, it was much easier.
    Now I will admit that I may have gotten lucky (my enemies weren't quite as hard as I have had in the past) but I finished with like, 10 guys completely untouched and my A team at full health.
    One great tip I read somewhere and followed was to start with a B team instead of my A team. The idea is that the B team is good enough to get through the first few nodes, and you save the A team's protection for later on.
    Well, my B team took me into node 8 (!). The real revelation was RG. He is absolutely amazing in GW because of his stuns. Use him near the start, not the end. You don't want him to taunt ideally, you want to keep him healthy so his stun works. He and Daka kept opponent teams almost completely shut down. It was amazing.
    I also started using JC for the first time.. I never needed or used him before except in a suicide team. He spammed heals to keep RG and others going.
    Anyway... this is not to diminish any frustrations some of you may be having. It is just to encourage people to give it a shot. You may be pleasantly surprised.

What sucks is that you don't get protection back each node. If you don't have a pretty deep roster you probably won't make it far at upper levels. I'm fortunate enough to have a strong c team but now it takes too long. GW is really just a way to get credit and mats. It should be challenging enough to be fun but it shouldn't be frustrating for the average player
  • Options
    The new protection really really stinks. Basically my guys lose it in the first few nodes, then we are facing teams with full protection from then on getting harder and harder so it takes twice as long to finish the battles and I don't have time for cooldowns to reset because I have to keep healing. I started with a B team but that didn't seem to help. I'm stuck on node 6. This new thing REQUIRES a super deep bench which I don't have. It's a terrible catch 22. Have to finish GW to get the credits and mats to upgrade but can't because I am not upgraded enough or have enough characters to actually finish. I don't have RG anywhere near useful so now I spend weeks getting him there? All the while letting characters I actually like not get anything done because see catch 22 above? I'm not upset they mitigated damage to make the battles last longer but they certainly did not fix it so more characters are useful. If they are going to use protection it should completely reset between GW battles otherwise get rid of it. Really really frustrated right now. Apparently I have to go after a bunch of tanks which will take weeks and credits I don't have to make useful. I love Star Wars and I really enjoyed this game but not anymore. I should be able to finish GW everyday. With thinking and strategy but finish, now that seems unlikely. Plus they didn't give me a way to earn any more credits or mats (aside from the new once a day event which is of course limited time only) so how do I make new characters viable? So frustrating!
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Wow....just WOW
    So, that was the most fun of had at GW in 3 months.

First, I don't it any harder than before.
    Reason being is your healers have more time to reduce cool downs in between matches, huge buff.

Next, remember the AI is terrible, because of this, you can save the weak hitters for last (as always). So while your healers cool downs are being reduced at end of fights you arnt being damaged.

I also had to retreat only about 1/4 as much as before. Again because matches last longer there is less 'luck' involved, so it actually took me less time to complete than usual.

Loved it
  • Options
    CWOJedisix wrote: »
    The new protection really really stinks. Basically my guys lose it in the first few nodes, then we are facing teams with full protection from then on getting harder and harder so it takes twice as long to finish the battles and I don't have time for cooldowns to reset because I have to keep healing. I started with a B team but that didn't seem to help. I'm stuck on node 6. This new thing REQUIRES a super deep bench which I don't have. It's a terrible catch 22. Have to finish GW to get the credits and mats to upgrade but can't because I am not upgraded enough or have enough characters to actually finish. I don't have RG anywhere near useful so now I spend weeks getting him there? All the while letting characters I actually like not get anything done because see catch 22 above? I'm not upset they mitigated damage to make the battles last longer but they certainly did not fix it so more characters are useful. If they are going to use protection it should completely reset between GW battles otherwise get rid of it. Really really frustrated right now. Apparently I have to go after a bunch of tanks which will take weeks and credits I don't have to make useful. I love Star Wars and I really enjoyed this game but not anymore. I should be able to finish GW everyday. With thinking and strategy but finish, now that seems unlikely. Plus they didn't give me a way to earn any more credits or mats (aside from the new once a day event which is of course limited time only) so how do I make new characters viable? So frustrating!

200_s.gif
  • Options
    I had a harder time with GW, but I was also unlucky with the squads I faced (I still got my 50th win, so no complaints there). But your tips look incredibly useful, so I might really start investing on my secondary squad toons (whom are at least Gear Level 7).

It felt like a slog to me, but on reflection, it didn't take me much longer to complete all daily activities this time round.

We'll see how things go.
    .GG Profile | Got spaces on my ally list.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Also towards the end. I kept building squads to protect Lando against an 'old meta' team. Was able to get off 3 of his mustache bombs at one point. Once I'm able to get a boba lead in there it's going to awesome using Lando in GW...or hopefully arena.

Boba leader
    Phasma
    Lando
    Lumi/barris
    RG
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Qeltar, what does your RG look like right now? 'Cause mine sure wouldn't take me through GW with only 4* gear VI and no way to go into gear VII within a couple of days. :/

My RG is 6* and Gear VIII with half those slots filled, level 70. (I did not level up my characters, anticipating these big changes.. but he will get credits soon.)
    You mustmustmust get him to Gear VII for the protection as soon as possible, but even before that, he can be useful. Put him with Barriss and JC, use her equalize and his spam heal and he will last a long time.
  • SethVentris
    32 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    finished it with lumi, jc, qgj, rg and phasma (sometimes changed the leader. gs was sometimes in too..)
    all f2p, easy going with a little bit thinking..
    too many crybabies out there..
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    My B team got me to the 5th node somewhat easily but now I am fighting a team that has protection on all toons, two healers, full starred and geared han, and a fully geared vader.

Vader is ridiculous and I could get past him with my A team and/or 1 or 2 suicide squads but honestly just thinking about it bores me and I think I'm not even gonna bother. Taking to much time doing challenges and other stuff to waste my day retreating and using suicide squads every node.
  • Options
    I would not say my GW was easier. But it also was not really harder. It was longer because I was perhaps being too cautious. If you have a few decent tanks like RG, as Qeltar notes, it could be easier. Even if you have low star taunting tanks, use them early. If you can gear even 2 or 3 star characters to purple, then they have protection and are not entirely worthless. You suicide squad may actually hurt someone rather than just use up the enemies special attacks.

People are saying jedi were killed by the update. I don't see it. All the self- and group healing allows non-protected jedi teams to still defeat protected teams in GW.

I also do not have a deep bench. When people say A B and C teams that doesn't mean they are all maxed out.

I think the rage is based on a loss of dominance by speed-damage meta. Sure that was "fun" for you. But it seems that the update makes the game closer to what I imagine it is supposed to be. This isn't Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. It is Pokémon...with Star Wars.
  • Valent_Antona
    1034 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My initial guess was pretty accurate. No problem on my main, lvl 73 account, but mid level (about 60-65) was a pain. Did not complete on mid level acct.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Options
    Just for fun, I ran today's GW with a new team: Nightsisters with Ahsoka lead. Not quite Dooku dodge fest but still pretty fun! Good synergy and can swap in a Lumi or QGJ when needed
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    @Qeltar is correct as far as RG goes. Gotta get him to purple. Even at 3* he's a great option for me. Now I'm going to be stuck farming until kingdom come trying to get purple laptops and trash can lids just so I can get toons into purple. Even having your cheap suicide squad in purple is going to be worth the time.

Today's GW I completed, but it took me longer and I had to think more on when to retreat, when to send in the suicide squad and when to use heals. I liked it.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    Great advice here!

I ended up running three different squads to finish it up today, and it was challenging but rewarding.

My new early squad had Phasma(L), Kylo, Daka, RG, and JC. I had already used my original A team of QGJ(L), Lumi, Dooku, Maul, and JC on the first node, so this team got me through nodes 2 thru 8, with high level and gear teams early. This team was all about multiple stuns, bonus procs from Phasma, and rapid healing from JC when needed, and it rocked.

Ran another squad in nodes 9 and 10 to ward off some high level Sids. I put Barriss in the lead, surrounded by Vader, Sid, Boba Fett, and Tusken Shaman. Lots of DOTs, some offense up from Shaman, constant heals from Barriss, and this got me almost to the end.

Came back in the last two nodes, which featured 3 or 4 Jedi in each one, with my original A team.

Bottom line: most GW FUN I've had in over a month.
  • Options
    The problem is when you don't have a B or C team, I barely have an A team and 2 or three in case someone die but now.... It's nearly impossible to me, a tema get rid of my team before I was able to retreat thanks to phasma....
  • Options
    I actually retreated less than I have in weeks.
    My A team is Barriss, Daka, Dooku, GS and Lumi. The B team I started with was Phasma, RG, Daka, IG-88 and JC (one overlap). I didn't even use my A team until node 9.

three healers is massively helpful. I dont have barris but I was struggling on node 8 with my usual QGJ, Lumi, Yoda, JC, Sid team so I swapped Sid for Daka and was able to make it to the last node without losing anyone. My "a" team ended up wiping during the last battle after killing 3 of the opponents toons but I couldve easily kept going a battle or two more with phasma, han, sid, old ben, mace, eeth, savage
  • Options
    Why make something already time consuming more time consuming?
  • Options
    I agree, yesterday I felt the length of the GW annoying but today same as everyday I succeded within a good amount of time I consider almost feasable. Not related to the GW duration effort I like to remark that I also see with the protection introduced an higher number of toons is required to be involved and exchanged or as it was said tun more independent squads through an GW cycle. I will take my final judgement about the GW time effort pending for a moment but for me obvious it is that the battles need much more time. But this I perceive from my latest arena experiences as with same squad setup I am very frequent now in the time out situation.
  • Options
    One squad. Barris, Lumi, Daka, Dooku, JC.
  • DarthMasterShawn
    3064 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Mine was the hardest in as long as memory serves. I had a lvl 73 Poe DPS node 1. I faced 7 maxed gear 9 RG's, 4 gear 9 CT5's, 4 gear 9 Leioas, 2 with RG 5's and gear 9 Rey, 3 gear 9 Rey's. I had bodies hitting the floor like crazy. Droid team, AOE team, Phasma ren team, Lumi, Barriss, Sid, GS, Dooku, Yoda, all fell. I had to dig down in there to some I left at 70-72 to finish this. It was frustrating as heck. I thought this would be the first in over 110 strait I'd fail at, so finishing felt awesome.

I think protection needs to reset each fight, not health, just the shield. To balance it a bit. So if you are in yellow, your hp stays there, but the shield is up.

I know the next one I plan to switch up, build a new team to start out and run with. Ahh strategy is back in GW. The protection is a bit frustrating, but we must adapt and strategize for it. I wanted strategy, I got it.