Is protection good for GW?

Prev1
President_Scroob
1802 posts Member
edited April 2016
So today, I'm finding myself struggling to pick up the game at refresh because of GW. Let me preface this by saying I've completed it almost 100 times in a row. But since the update it gets harder every night. The protection is gone from my A team by node 4 at the latest, and then its an hour long slog trying to sift through all the full protection teams with my non-protected one. Case and point...protection in GW is nothing but a player nerf and needs to be taken out. Its good for arena. Thats it

Is protection good for GW? 82 votes

Protection Good in GW?
14%
QeltarMoBlaqunit900000Jedilove3737Skitha81Gavstarkaleb314RomaovbnTimitockTeagueDatika 12 votes
Protection Bad in GW?
85%
FakeRobboTelaanGenakumaBarrokSticare_Courts_0073KonaEhukaiEikasCurryWildcats1203JsnazzKAULIPeterPwnLianaraRobbathehuttwarmonkeyRedSixGobear5555El_DuderinoMegadeth3700AnonymousHamsterDaddyngo007 70 votes

Replies

• fudgra
    982 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    I'm not looking forward to the refresh in 1/2 hour. It's been getting harder for me daily as well and I know it's a matter of time before I lose one. Hopefully not since I need every credit I can get.
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    fudgra wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to the refresh in 1/2 hour. It's been getting harder for me daily as well and I know it's a matter of time before I lose one. Hopefully not since I need every credit I can get.

I faced my first omega toon last night in gw. It was horrible. I can only imagine what it will be like when I get to level 77 or so and most teams have omega toons, while you only have one or two.
  • Options
    Protection Good in GW?
    I don't think CW is any harder than it was before. Still beat it it in 30 minutes and most days don't lose a character.
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    I don't think CW is any harder than it was before. Still beat it it in 30 minutes and most days don't lose a character.

Your level? And also how was protection good for you?
  • Jsnazz
    349 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    We should have the on/off switch option. On for those like challenge and viceversa.
  • MoBlaq
    583 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Good in GW?
    To the OP - Never use your A Team at start. That is something you should have learned by now. You save your best characters for last. I usually run my druid team early and then by node 4-5 I put my main grind team with 3 healers. When it gets hard on the last 4 nodes I start using ST-Han or RG and QGJ/Rey.
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    MoBlaq wrote: »
    To the OP - Never use your A Team at start. That is something you should have learned by now. You save your best characters for last. I usually run my druid team early and then by node 4-5 I put my main grind team with 3 healers. When it gets hard on the last 4 nodes I start using ST-Han or RG and QGJ/Rey.

I've found it the opposite. I save my B and C teams for later nodes, full protection suicide squads. I can get through nodes 1-6 with my a team without protection. Once my healers work it actually gets a bit easier. Its just once I get to late nodes I need those B and C teams still alive. Against a maxed team which you will likely face from five on, your protection won't survive more than 2 nodes
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Btw, I'm really eager to hear how some of you think that protection is actually good for GW
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Good in GW?
    Never had an easier time since the protection update, and I think it makes it more strategic than before.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • President_Scroob
    1802 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Never had an easier time since the protection update, and I think it makes it more strategic than before.

How? its gone by node 4. I had to use all 14 7* to complete last night and was getting omega toons
  • Jsnazz
    349 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    with due respect, there is no strategic with protection in place. This is coming from someone who completed 120 consecutively. If you want to reset your skills, just leave a tank and healer alive and kill the rest. You guys know the rest.

• Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Jsnazz wrote: »
    with due respect, there is no strategic with protection in place. This is coming from someone who completed 120 consecutively. If you want to reset your skills, just leave a tank and healer alive and kill the rest. You guys know the rest.

It's strategic in that you have to figure out how to get past a fully protected team with no protection. But thats not a good strategic . I can do it, the slog is just getting really old
  • Jsnazz
    349 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Protection is basically mandatory tier 7 upgrade. And everyone do the hookipookie.
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Bad mechanic IMO. Really needs a tweak, I get what they were trying to do, implementation was a fail though. It can still be viable, just really needs to be tweaked a bit. GW is just too long for the majority of us, I really don't think it's any harder, just such a total grind. Again, just my opinion
    Use the force Luke.... and get rid of that stupid musket.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It probably hurts to.be on a server with lots of precrafted gears and omega abilities. My server is pretty new, but I missed most of the Omega challenges. So I am going to hold off on saying how easy GW is.

I might feel your pain when lots of guys on my server have multiple toons with abilities I can't get.

Anyhow by that time most of us have already got what we need from galactic war, no?

Until omega drop, you aren't getting that much from the shop or from ability mats right now in GW. If you are on such an old server, you only need those credits and purples for your second/third teams.
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    LastJedi wrote: »
    It probably hurts to.be on a server with lots of precrafted gears and omega abilities. My server is pretty new, but I missed most of the Omega challenges. So I am going to hold off on saying how easy GW is.

I might feel your pain when lots od guys on my server have multiple toons with abilities I can't get.

Ah, but here is the wrench they throw at you; GW teams don't come from just your server

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Good in GW?

How? its gone by node 4. I had to use all 14 7* to complete last night and was getting omega toons

Well part of it may be that I have not upgraded my arena team much since the level cap. But I also haven't upgraded my GW team.
    It is strategic because you have to decide when to use your protection and when not to. I actually ended up switching to using my B team at the start and my A team later on, saving my A team's protection for harder fights. I use a heavy control team with a lot of stunning and healing and have no issues with GW. The longer fights also make cooldown regen easier, closer to the old days before they ruinedfixed the retreat mechanism.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    fudgra wrote: »

I faced my first omega toon last night in gw. It was horrible. I can only imagine what it will be like when I get to level 77 or so and most teams have omega toons, while you only have one or two.

Yeah exactly. Not only the omega toons, it's the gear IX RG's and Dakka's that you start running into. All your cool downs better be set perfectly.
  • MrJx3
    257 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    GW takes way too long now. I only do one battle for the daily and that's it. It's not that it's much harder, but it takes like 30-45 minutes, when before it would take 10-20 min.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cool down need to be all reset or your team is worthless. Maybe 1 or 2 turns on a lumi heal is ok. But your dps/stun attacks better be ready to rock out of the gate.

If you're finishing without these abilities, you are doing it wrong. You know how throwing in a suicide squad can give u the win without even doing any damage? That is what ur doing to yourself if you finish a battle on cooldown. This causes a snowball effect that gets out of control, fast. Don't let it start.

Try to decide which two toons you are going to leave for last. Try to leave two healers for last if possible. Or a healer and chewie. Lumi hits hard, so she should be a secondary choice. Now alternate hits on these two toons so that when the heal(s) is (are) triggered, the AI gets maximum benefit heals to give you time to reset your cool downs with minimal chance of taking big damage right before the end.

In arena I often leave sid for last. In GW, sid is usually at or near the top of my hit list.

I rather finish a battle with 70 percent health than to be left on cooldown. Hit fast, hit hard, and you will take a lot less damage. And u will have a lot more control over who you toy with, last.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Made me stop playing GW. To much it a chore. Remove protection and I would start doing it again
  • MoBlaq
    583 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protection Good in GW?

Im at 129 wins and i say it is strategic and yes making sure your skills are ready for the next battle is part of the strat. You really shouldn't be using your best characters until the last 4 nodes, also part of the strat to save their protection when you need it the most.

• JbizzyG
    304 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Protection is a product of inexperienced game designers. It so simplistic, it hasn't made combat dynamic, just tedious.
  • Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Herp derp! Protection makes GW more strategic! I love seeing this as it makes me lol. GW is as easy as ever! But protection just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags out the whole thing making it longer and getting on peoples nerves.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Fortitude is good in arena, it has made it sooo much better. But i don't get how people could say it's good in GW...there's many that can't complete it, even though i still can. Not even talking about the 'tediousness' here.
  • Options
    Protection Good in GW?
    I like it because these changes are right into my strength I have every chracter unlocked mostly leveled. I be first to admit my best 5 barely cracks top 25 in arena, but I spread my credits around to build an extremely deep roster, now with changes I'm catching up with all my guys by spreading out since day one it finally payed off big time. I have 5 A squads for GW. I seriously jus auto my way through now
  • Options

I've found it the opposite. I save my B and C teams for later nodes, full protection suicide squads. I can get through nodes 1-6 with my a team without protection. Once my healers work it actually gets a bit easier. Its just once I get to late nodes I need those B and C teams still alive. Against a maxed team which you will likely face from five on, your protection won't survive more than 2 nodes

Yup the 50s squad had to kill 74s on the final node, thankfully only Koth and Greedo the much battered B squad got rid of the Tier Ones and stripped the protection before their demise. It's getting harder for sure

• Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    Anybody who says protections adds more strategy simply isn't an experienced long time player of this game. Protection adds nothing but more time onto the lengthy, unrewarding grind that GW is. There should be either less GW nodes the rewards revamped or protection is taken away so I don't have to spend 1 hour every night doing this crap.
  • Jsnazz
    349 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?

Im at 129 wins and i say it is strategic and yes making sure your skills are ready for the next battle is part of the strat. You really shouldn't be using your best characters until the last 4 nodes, also part of the strat to save their protection when you need it the most.
    did you get a chance to read about my 120 winning streak at lvl 53 with only 2 purple yet? If so, find someone who can top it and we can talk about using "strategic" in gw.

• Dan_z
    103 posts Member
    Options
    Protection Bad in GW?
    I think it's bad as it drags it out far too much. Obviously it makes it a lot harder especially with omega geared characters appearing but it's mainly the amount of time it takes it takes which I take issue with.